Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying ANYTHING with phone credit?

Options
  • 20-07-2011 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to buy anything with accumulated phone credit? beside placing 20 ads on donedeal or donating it all to charity?

i've googled it but haven't found anything bar a shut down betting site and some crowd that claim to change it into cash but take 40% (that site is down now too according to some)

mods more to a more appropriate forum if this is in the wrong place

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Mobiles & PDAs

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

you can use it on facebook to buy credits or in some apps there such as farmville

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

cheers but I dont use any of those games things on facebook...mafia wars and farmville nearly drove me insane when i registered first so i never do anything like em anymore.

is there any websites where you can buy physical items with credit? pity you cant use it to buy Apps....i suppose that would make to much sense....phone companies dont like to use sense....

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

pity you cant use it to buy Apps....i suppose that would make to much sense....phone companies dont like to use sense....

I guess you've an iPhone, then. Operator billing has been here for Nokia phones for a while (on all networks), and is available in selected countries on Android Market. Even Windows Phone has Operator Billing in some countries, but the number will grow as part of the Nokia deal - eventually, it'll be what Nokia offer, which is "almost every network, in almost every country".

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

Im on a certain mobile network, and if u top up with €20 i get all you can eat data, but i hardly use the credit for calling as skype is always there. so by the end of the year ill have €240 worth of credit on the phone.. so I really wish there was a way to get this cash back in my pocket or maybe buying something with it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 cipi

u can buy adds on done deal....."))

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cipi

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Think I'll just make trans-atlantic calls.

Could you not top up for a month or two and use your accumulated credit for data. It would save you 20 euro.

I suppose I could buy 500MB bundles and pay for texts for a while. Stress of watching the data though, the second it goes out of bundle it drains all the credit within seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Have to admit, this is a great thread. I'm on Vodafone, top up by 20€ each month. What I do is allow it to accumulate for when I roam. Have no worries about costs then. I'm just back from Europe and spent 75€ on calls, texts and data, but its no problem as I had hundreds of euro credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ED E wrote: »
    I suppose I could buy 500MB bundles and pay for texts for a while. Stress of watching the data though, the second it goes out of bundle it drains all the credit within seconds.

Get a data manager app to warn you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

BostonB wrote: »
    Get a data manager app to warn you.

Is there any one that shuts off all data access immediately once a limit is reached?

EDIT:
    ED E wrote: »

+1,000,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Why don't you just top up by €20 this month and get free calls etc.
    Then next month don't top up and use the credit for calls/texts/data until you run out then top up again and repeat.

I do this and usually get 2 months out of the €20 top up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Is there any one that shuts off all data access immediately once a limit is reached?....

No idea. I use "My Data Manager" on Android. Kinda hard to miss the warnings. You can disable data when you aren't using it, like at night-time.

Can subscribe to a pre data plan, which rolls over.

Im on unlimited when I top up. Use between 4 and 8 GB per period, so the 500MB packs wouldnt last long. Would mean data locking every few days and texting to reactivate then raising the limit. Not much hassle but Id rather not.

Jellybean(and maybe ICS) has built in limiting from the network settings. 3G watchdog pro has even more detailed controls.

EDIT: LoL supports it. Might buy some skins, though I dont play much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Has anyone figured out anywhere or anything else to buy stuff with phone credit since?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

If you've credit on an O2 SIM, you can use it to pay tolls with Easytrip. Only €4.99 of your credit for the toll tag and no monthly fees. The toll you pay is the same as the cash toll so you pay the extra €1 per trip on the M50. But for all the other tolls, it's the business!

Unfortunately though, it's only available on O2 for now.

http://charge2mobile.easytrip.ie

Carrier billing is now available on 3 for the play store apparently, at least thats something.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭etar

if you have tons of credit, you can convert to a bill phone and your bill will be credited with the unused credit if that makes sense, about 2 years ago, i did that and ended up with no phone bill for about 11 months, and then after 12 I went back on ready to go.

• Advertisement

Good to know, thanks.

Would still like to know if there's anywhere that would accept it in a straight transaction, clothes, gadgets etc, not much point saying you can use it for films/music/games etc as its easier to get them in other ways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 one shot bang bang

hi, anyone know how to spend credit on a nokia lumia 625 (meteor why did you get rid of your music )

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Evilbart

This site accepts mobile credit for Microsoft gift cards on the Vodafone and O2 networks,pity I'm on 3 as I have a couple hundred euro credit and would love to buy these in exchange for games on xbox.

http://www.buygamecredit.com/IE/Product

I just stopped buying the 20 Euro a month on 3 and started buying 500 mb for a fiver of credit, if you start using wi-fi at home the 500 easily lasts the month for what little browsing I do out and about and between that and calls Im going to start reducing my mountain of 3 credit that way instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Evilbart

According to their customer service they are adding the option to pay with three Ireland within the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

I would love a solution to this issue. My credit level is starting to rise now that everyone I call most frequently is on three too. Would be handy if I could convert it to buy a new phone from three but I doubt they would let me either.

Bump, anyone find any new options for this?

Nope, just a warning though, any credit thats been sitting there on 3 for 6 months gets deleted, they took €100 of me the cnuts before I spotted it, bought a load of apps and gave a load to Concern with the other hundred, only €40 left now. You use up the latest credit first too so its nearly impossible to go back and use the old stuff before its gone...

Doesnt seem so, once you make one call.

st5bzb0.png
    ** If you make at least one chargeable call every six months, you will keep your top-up credit active and prevent it from expiring. If you don't do this, your cash credit will expire after six months of non-use.

In any case, im just gonna cash it out.

• Advertisement

Yeah but the problem is the call you make is deducted from the most recent top-up, the one you bought 6 months ago doesnt get touched and they expire it if you get me.

Advertisement