Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple phones to block you taking concert pictures in future!

Options
  • 16-06-2011 9:17am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

If the non-fans of Apple wanted another reason to avoid their phones - its seems Apple is giving them more reasons!

Apple phones to block you taking concert pictures in future!
    (The Times - England)
    There was a time when the crowd at a rock concert was marked out by small flashes of fire emanating from cigarette lighters, waved in the air. Now those pockets of light are more likely to emanate from the glowing screens of mobile phones, held aloft, as festival-goers take photos or video of their favourite bands.
    But new technology being developed by Apple may mean that this may soon be at an end.

The Californian company has plans to build a system that will sense when a person is trying to film a live event using a mobile phone and automatically switch off their camera.
    Introduction of the system would mean ticket-holders at events such as Glastonbury, Wimbledon or next year’s London Olympic Games, could be stopped from filming the occasion on their iPhone.

A patent application filed by Apple, and obtained by The Times, reveals how the software would work. If a person were to hold up their iPhone, the device would trigger the attention of infra-red sensors installed at the venue. These sensors would then instruct the iPhone to disable its camera.

The software is seen as an attempt to protect the interests of event organisers and television broadcasters who have exclusive rights to film an event. These companies often sell their own recordings but are frustrated when mobile phone videos appear online via websites such as YouTube, allowing people to watch the concert free. The concept may also allow Apple to reach more favourable terms with record labels when negotiating deals to sell content though its iTunes online store.

Bambuser, a technology firm based in Sweden that has created an app allowing people filming any event to stream their recording live on the internet, sees it as a potential money-making exercise for Apple. Hans Voors, chairman at Bambuser, said that a better use of the technology would be to create a system through which Apple charged users a small fee to record a live event. “Apple is smart. I assume Apple is not doing this just to protect against people sharing copyrighted material,” he said. “Hopefully, they see there’s an opportunity to make money here.”

Apple’s iPhone accounts for about one in five smartphones sold in Britain, but music fans attending next weekend’s Glastonbury festival said that they would be concerned if it developed the video-blocking technology.

“It’s sad [if] I can’t keep my own memories of the festival,” said Heather Turner, 22, an iPhone owner from London. “It’s rubbish, I will just take a different phone.”

Jack Morgan, 21, from Cardiff, said: “It seems authoritarian that I can’t do what I want with my phone.”
    Florence Brockway, 22, who is attending this year’s Glastonbury Festival, said: “That’s a real shame, you won’t be able to share your enjoyment of the festival with friends and family.”

Apple filed its patent application with US authorities 18 months ago, but details have only become available this month.

How it would work: http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/79/tthiphone2169555a.jpg

I can see their point - they want to not lose sources of revenue.
    That said, its seems to leave a bitter taste in the mouth of possible users!
    I know I like to take a picture or two of a show - just as a memory keepsake sometimes.
    With Apple phones in the future, I might not be able to do that. Pity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Won't be long before this would be cracked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Camera-phone photos always look sh*t at gigs anyway. Always a blurry dark distorted mess. I see people in front of me take them, and I think to myself "right, what are you going to do with that piece of sh*t now?" It's hardly capturing the moment or a memento of the gig. You can't make out ANYTHING except the fact there's a stage with coloured lights on it and a few blurry figures.
    Imagine looking back 10 years later - ah yes, and this was Santana in the O2! Was it? It could be anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Settings -> Flight mode -> On

Sorted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Maybe - but what percentage of audience users would actually be able to do that?
    A small percentage might but the rest would be stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Seachmall wrote: »

Sorted.
    yep

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Indeed, there will soon be an app for cracking that app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Is this really hurting sales of anything. I wouldn't even watch the phone videos on youtube. Some drunk who can't even hold the camera straight. The sound quality is non existent, thats the reason you watch a video of a band. Is Apple on a mission to make everyone hate them. Surely if the garner too much hatred from the public it will hurt sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Sorted.

Yeah, Apple never thought of that. You're a genius. :rolleyes:

With Flight mode on, IR will not work.

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote: »
    With Flight mode on, IR will not work.
    Would they in their wisdom, not find away around that?
    Just asking. I wouldn't put it past the buggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

just buy Android, problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Airplane mode disables all wireless receivers due to laws and regulations related to flying. They'll either have to remove airplane mode or this idea is easily bypassed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

You don't buy an iphone- you rent it.

Get an Android phone!

Biggins wrote: »
    Would they in their wisdom, not find away around that?
    Just asking. I wouldn't put it past the buggers.
    I'd be surprised if they did. Apple want to look like they're making an effort but want people to still buy their products.

I suppose that's why you can still jailbrake an iPhone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Ah Biggins ya big conspiracy theorist.

There is two things that stick out for me.

1. That the tech could be further used beyond just concerts and
    2. The fact that once you've thought you have bought a product with enabled features, the makers can later turn around and take them off you.

Contentious points for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Android users are trickling in now. Before a flamewar starts, can we avoid the "get an Android!" posts and the subsequent responses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Camera-phone photos always look sh*t at gigs anyway

Get a better phone then so, these were taken with my Galaxy S

http://s419.photobucket.com/albums/pp279/PogMoTho1n/Roger%20waters/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Airplane mode disables all wireless receivers due to laws and regulations related to flying. They'll either have to remove airplane mode or this idea is easily bypassed.

Or turn off the camera when flight mode is active?

Strange move by apple, disabling features to suit big business, just like with tethering

• Advertisement

Bonavox wrote: »
    Android users are trickling in now. Before a flamewar starts, can we avoid the "get an Android!" posts and the subsequent responses?
    Aye.

Honesty I'd like the thread to concentrate on how users rights are being possibly later effected after their have bough their product.
    It seems a bit much to be told later on then that "sorry - we're taking some of those abilities away from you now."
    I can understand why they are doing it - just seems a bit much and not very nice to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Bonavox wrote: »

Google controls all Android phones already with the killswitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Auvers wrote: »
    just buy Android, problem solved

Or jailbreak the iPhone and you still have access to lots and lots of apps.

Just wondering is there a link to the article? I want to gloat to a iPhone-lovin' mate. I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Yes, cos I'm a pr!ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

No doubt they'll let you buy a pass so you can take pictures at the concert. Crazy altogether. Lets hope it doesn't catch on.

chin_grin wrote: »
    Just wondering is there a link to the article? I want to gloat to a iPhone-lovin' mate. I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Yes, cos I'm a pr!ck.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/technology/article3063419.ece

Quick capture: http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/6482/capturehni.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

what a stupid idea and another reason not to buy an I-Phone, jesus apple are so full of themselves.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭kirving

Flight mode has nothing to do with it.

Infra-red emmitters, like those in remite.controls emit light that we cannot see, but cameras can. Point your remote control at a camera and press a button. You'll see the IR LED emit a specific sequence of flashes which are read by a sensor on the front if your TV. The TV decodes this sequence of light impulses and changes the channel.

Since cameras can see this light, they can decode it just like your TV. The iPhone would turn off the camera if it sensed the correct light sequence. The emmitter would not have to be powerful, just powerful enough and positioned so that the iPhone would pick it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

TheZohan wrote: »
    Or jailbreak the iPhone and you still have access to lots and lots of apps.

I own a jailbroken iPhone4, still want the new Galaxy though

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »

It's a subscription? F*ck that, I'll just link him to this thread. ^_^

Advertisement