Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-05-2011, 22:25   #1
caseyann
Closed Account

Now this is what i call looking for a job!

Man using billboard to avoid emigration!

Unemployed for almost a year and on the brink of emigrating, a Galway man has employed an innovative strategy to find a job!

The NUI Galway graduate returned from a year working in Australia last August and since then has applied for more than 100 jobs, but without success.
He says he does not want to leave Ireland again and would prefer to stay here to develop his career, but he says that if he does not get a job by the end of June, he will be forced to emigrate.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0530/joblesspaddy.html

I dont know if this is right place to put the thread,if wrong place please move to right one thanks

It is a shame and see how they are being forced out.If this doesnt open eyes nothing will to go this far to find a job after all his turn downs.Disgraceful
Wish him and all others the best getting jobs so they can stay home.
Advertisement
30-05-2011, 22:41   #2
KarlDrake

Now that's investing in yourself. Fair play to him. Top top idea.
Invading new media today big time by using old media.
(3) thanks from:
30-05-2011, 23:59   #3
Beau

Best of luck but I think 2k was a massive waste of money on this.
(3) thanks from:
31-05-2011, 00:02   #4
Chnandler Bong
Banned

He cant be that badly off if he can afford to spend €2,000 on an add for himself!
31-05-2011, 00:10   #5
KarlDrake

for 2k of savings this dude is on the news, social media, 1,869 members on fb, 225 followers on twitter. If I was hiring a marketing type...
he'll be sound and fair play
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-05-2011, 01:28   #6
HellFireClub
Banned

No this is what I call being stupid and being an attention seeker. With 2K in his arse pocket, did it not occur to him to start up his own small business and create a job for himself instead of putting up a billboard that probably cost him at least that amount of money???

Nobody owes him a job, if he can't get a job here, then he has only 2 options:

(1) Emmigrate again and get a job somewhere else, OR...

(2) Create a job here for himself...

Trying to ride the wave of national opinion and emotionally blackmail the media and people who hire, as he has done here I think is absolutely counterproductive and just plain stupid.

I say this as a person who was recently unemployed for 2 years and had to create a job for myself with a lot less f*cking seed capital than this guy has paid for his billboard advertisement with him grinning out at everyone as if someone owes him a job.

There are no f*cking jobs here, so maybe try getting with the script, either create your own job or go abroad to work but understand one thing that you don't seem to have copped about Ireland since you have come back here: it's every person for themselves now, you are on your own, don't expect anyone to hand you a job because there are no jobs and nobody is going to give you any good will or sympathy because you might just have to emmigrate.

This guy has really really p*ssed me off I have to say, when I recently started up my own business, I'd have taken the f*cking hand off someone for 2K start up capital and here is this guy getting a 12' x 8' billboard made up of himself saying, "please give me a job"... There are people out there without 2 cents to rub together, and they could possibly be a lot better qualified for a particular position than this guy! Should this guy be given preference for a job because he just happened to have 2K available to him to run a publicity campaign for himself??? I don't think so...
Thanks from:
31-05-2011, 12:25   #7
Eoin

There are jobs - just not in all industries.

Nobody owes him a job - but he has shown that he might just have an ability in sales & marketing, which is the area he is interested in. He has gotten a massive amount of publicity through what's a pretty innovative idea, for a relatively small amount of cash.

If a company hired him, then they'd probably be mentioned in a follow up story in the media as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rte.ie news
Interested in social marketing, Mr Mac An Iomaire, who is qualified and has experience in sales and marketing, launched a Facebook and Twitter campaign in tandem with his billboard advert.
Thanks from:
31-05-2011, 12:39   #8
Bruthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellFireClub View Post
This guy has really really p*ssed me off I have to say,
You must be easily pissed off so.

Quote:
and they could possibly be a lot better qualified for a particular position than this guy! Should this guy be given preference for a job because he just happened to have 2K available to him to run a publicity campaign for himself??? I don't think so...
Not always the best qualified person for a job gets it. Someone can be great at interviews, and not great at the job, and someone can be not so great at interviews and outstanding at the job. Plenty of people also work very hard and get nowhere in their careers, and others get lucky and do very well, thats life.

No one owes a job to any person applying for a job, but some people get jobs from their applications, or ideas. This is just another idea someone decided to try.

I agree plenty of people dont have a cent to try anything, and here is someone that can spend 2k on this, but its his money, why should his method of spending it upset you so much? There is a remote posibility he could get lucky with it.
31-05-2011, 12:40   #9
HellFireClub
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
There are jobs - just not in all industries.

Nobody owes him a job - but he has shown that he might just have an ability in sales & marketing, which is the area he is interested in. He has gotten a massive amount of publicity through what's a pretty innovative idea, for a relatively small amount of cash.

If a company hired him, then they'd probably be mentioned in a follow up story in the media as well.
His attitude to me, is indicitative of all that is wrong with this country. He is demonstrating a mindset that is everywhere in this country, which is that people have misplaced notions of entitlement in their heads in relation to all sorts of things, in this case a misplaced notion of entitlement to a job.

If he cannot find employment, then he should take ownership of the problem and create one for himself or else look abroad for a job. This stupid grinning down a TV camera claiming to be some sort of innovative revolutionary with a finger on the national pulse, it's Brendan Kilkenny style publicity.

Anyone can go out there and generate publicity for themselves, what matters when you are looking for a job are core competiencies, job availability in relation to your core competiencies and other considerations such as your willingness to be flexible, etc. Putting up a billboard of yourself looking pathethic, basically threatening to emigrate unless someone will give you a job is pathethic in my eyes and is an insult to others who actually do have to emmigrate to get on with their lives...

Last edited by HellFireClub; 31-05-2011 at 13:46.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-05-2011, 13:33   #10
krissovo

Fair play to him, he wants to be in marketing and he is marketing himself all be it at a cost of €2k. He will get a job out of this, the initiative alone is what many marketing departments need right now.
31-05-2011, 13:41   #11
Dexterm99

Maybe he should have spent the 2 grand on a suit and career advice.
31-05-2011, 13:53   #12
Creamy Goodness
Booooom, Blast & Ruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterm99 View Post
Maybe he should have spent the 2 grand on a suit and career advice.
yes because a suit determines whether or not he can do a job?
31-05-2011, 15:23   #13
KarlDrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellFireClub View Post
His attitude to me, is indicitative of all that is wrong with this country. He is demonstrating a mindset that is everywhere in this country, which is that people have misplaced notions of entitlement in their heads in relation to all sorts of things, in this case a misplaced notion of entitlement to a job.

If he cannot find employment, then he should take ownership of the problem and create one for himself or else look abroad for a job. This stupid grinning down a TV camera claiming to be some sort of innovative revolutionary with a finger on the national pulse, it's Brendan Kilkenny style publicity.

Anyone can go out there and generate publicity for themselves, what matters when you are looking for a job are core competiencies, job availability in relation to your core competiencies and other considerations such as your willingness to be flexible, etc. Putting up a billboard of yourself looking pathethic, basically threatening to emigrate unless someone will give you a job is pathethic in my eyes and is an insult to others who actually do have to emmigrate to get on with their lives...
This is nuts! He's marketing himself. He doesn't want to work for himself by the looks of it, so he's trying something new. Nothing wrong with not wanting to work for oneself, eh?
He's invested in his future by being innovative.
I have no clue why you're offended by this.

Here's the deal. He cannot find work (in Ireland, where he wants to work) so he's taking ownership of the problem.

Because of this strategy he may not have to emigrate, precisely because he's taken ownership. Maybe you're a wind up merchant but I really don't get why you're so excited about it.
31-05-2011, 15:25   #14
Bruthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlDrake View Post
This is nuts! He's marketing himself. He doesn't want to work for himself by the looks of it, so he's trying something new. Nothing wrong with not wanting to work for oneself, eh?
He's invested in his future by being innovative.
I have no clue why you're offended by this.

Here's the deal. He cannot find work (in Ireland, where he wants to work) so he's taking ownership of the problem.

Because of this strategy he may not have to emigrate, precisely because he's taken ownership. Maybe you're a wind up merchant but I really don't get why you're so excited about it.
Nuts is what i thought about that post as well. Bizarre in fact.
31-05-2011, 15:27   #15
Dexterm99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
yes because a suit determines whether or not he can do a job?
Yes as being presentable to potential employers will help him get that job
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion