Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

modified cars on crimecall

Options
  • 26-04-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

did anyone see crimecall on modified cars. What a joke and people killing and robbing all over the place, cant they use thier resources on them instead :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The only thing I seen wrong with it is he called them enthusiasts several times when they are clearly not.

Everything else was fine on it, exhaust noise in particular is a serious issue in many areas and if they use the new equipment properly to stamp it out then whats the issue?

If you dont act like a tool in a car you wont get any hassle off the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭diarmo111

yes I agree they are not, and give a bad name. But say some of us that don't go acting the ejgit and get stopped and get fines etc I just think it is not fair. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

draffodx wrote: »
    The only thing I seen wrong with it is he called them enthusiasts several times when they are clearly not.

Everything else was fine on it, exhaust noise in particular is a serious issue in many areas and if they use the new equipment properly to stamp it out then whats the issue?

Has been my personal experience. Once your not making an ass of yourself you get left alone. Generally those who have had reports rang in get hassled.

Iv never had an issue at a checkpoint and it usually ends up with a friendly chat while I hand a mound of paperwork out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

diarmo111 wrote: »
    yes I agree they are not, and give a bad name. But say some of us that don't go acting the ejgit and get stopped and get fines etc I just think it is not fair. :(

Fines for what?

-Chris- wrote: »
    Fines for what?

You cant get a fine without grounds.

Make sure your car is 100pc legal. If your being pulled consistently with no grounds then you have a case for harassment.

The noise limit is very fair, the tint rules are fair and at least the new policy sets a definite limit removing the guard deciding at the scene if he thinks your cars loud.

If it gets the muppets its a win for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DjKlubster

Apparently theres a little cheat in the exhaust test thing.. If Your Car Doesnt Have a rev counter then they cant test your exhaust.. plus they never test it right.. the law with the test is the car has to be going at 30 miles p/h past the little machine???

DjKlubster wrote: »
    Apparently theres a little cheat in the exhaust test thing.. If Your Car Doesnt Have a rev counter then they cant test your exhaust.. plus they never test it right.. the law with the test is the car has to be going at 30 miles p/h past the little machine???

The machine they have tells the Garda what the car is revving at, they dont need the car to have a rev counter.

And nowhere in law does it state the car has to be going 30 miles per hour. (We dont even use miles per hour anymore)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

yeah saw that bit of the show last nite and taught it was very unfair targeting young people and cars, fair enough noisy exhaust in estates is a nightmare, but the amount of guards at the checkpoint and using helicopter was a bit of a waste of money in fairness, many of top end cars have v dark tints and they dont get fined and hassled, its just easier to hassle youngsters they older people with money i guess. im far from a boy racer and dont have much time for modified cars, but really taught it was unfair.

PaudyW wrote: »
    yeah saw that bit of the show last nite and taught it was very unfair targeting young people and cars, fair enough noisy exhaust in estates is a nightmare, but the amount of guards at the checkpoint and using helicopter was a bit of a waste of money in fairness, many of top end cars have v dark tints and they dont get fined and hassled, its just easier to hassle youngsters they older people with money i guess. im far from a boy racer and dont have much time for modified cars, but really taught it was unfair.

They were targeting the cause of the problem, if older people drove around industrial estates acting like idiots they would be targeted too. Any young people that don't wont be targeted - simple.

They were in Ballymount, I presume you don't know much about Ballymounts reputation when it comes to idiots in cars? A large checkpoint is the minimum I'd expect there and fair play for using the helicopter to track dangerous driving. If it wasn't required anywhere else then why not use it?

Also no top end cars come with tints that break the law.

-Chris- wrote: »
    Fines for what?

just over a year ago I was just driving into town at night time (below the speed limit) when I was stopped. One of the two guardai said they exhaust was too loud (which it wasnt, and I had a silencer in at the time) and that I had to take off my aftermarket steering wheel, tints, and sunvisor ( which was tiny), needless to say my summons arrived in the post a few weeks later. It is this sort of thing that bugs me most, that we spend money on our cars and cant enjoy them.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

just over a year ago I was just driving into town at night time (below the speed limit) when I was stopped. One of the two guardai said they exhaust was too loud (which it wasnt, and I had a silencer in at the time) and that I had to take off my aftermarket steering wheel, tints, and sunvisor ( which was tiny), needless to say my summons arrived in the post a few weeks later. It is this sort of thing that bugs me most, that we spend money on our cars and cant enjoy them.:mad:

Did it go straight to summons, or did you receive fines which you contested/didn't pay?
    Were the tints/s'wheel/sunvisor actually illegal? What did the judge say?

I got a summons and went sraight into the station and explained why I thought it was unfair. Of course they said they couldnt do anything. So I got my solistor to go into the judge and basically explain the crazyness of it all, and he just threw it out in the end ( saying as long as its 100% legit your okay) that was 2 days before it was to be heard. They were legal. The visor was almost a factory one, and the sterring wheell was 100% legal. Alright I didnt have to pay the fine but if it ended up in the courts I would have most likely!??.

Once you get a summons you have to appear in court, I presume you mean your solicitor appeared for you in court?

no!,he went down to the judge (think it was the monday) and had a "word" so to speak with the judge and rang me to say there was no need to go down as it was thrown out :confused:

The machine they have tells the Garda what the car is revving at, they dont need the car to have a rev counter.

And nowhere in law does it state the car has to be going 30 miles per hour. (We dont even use miles per hour anymore)

im doubting that very much..

And i didnt mean law... its like the manual of that machine..so if they dont do it that way then they cant do anything about yur exhaust!!

im doubting that very much..

And i didnt mean law... its like the manual of that machine..so if they dont do it that way then they cant do anything about yur exhaust!!

Doubting what? One of the lads on here had his car tested and the machine told the Garda when he was at the correct amount of revs.

Where can I have a read of this manual?

well iv heard by word of mouth... One me friends said they got stopped and couldnt be tested beacause of no rev gauge... :/

And i was just told that by a friend currently looking it up!! But my friend is a reserve gaurds so yano..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

The test is done at a standstill, a friend of mine (also a bordsie) was tested a few weeks ago. I can't remember if he said they went by his rev counter though

I got a summons and went sraight into the station and explained why I thought it was unfair. Of course they said they couldnt do anything. So I got my solistor to go into the judge and basically explain the crazyness of it all, and he just threw it out in the end ( saying as long as its 100% legit your okay) that was 2 days before it was to be heard. They were legal. The visor was almost a factory one, and the sterring wheell was 100% legal. Alright I didnt have to pay the fine but if it ended up in the courts I would have most likely!??.

After that you lodged a complaint to the ombudsman so it wouldn't happen to you again. Or advise your soliciter to write a letter outlining the issue.

If your 100pc legal there are ways and means of dealing with this. It may cost you a day out of work but it will finish it very quick.

The test is done at a standstill, a friend of mine (also a bordsie) was tested a few weeks ago. I can't remember if he said they went by his rev counter though

yea they do it at a standstill... but if what i was told is right..Then it wouldnt hold in court cause it wasnt properly conducted.. but could be wrong??even tho this came from a gaurd?? :/

• Advertisement

Sure the NCT noise test is done at a standstill, the test calls for it to be done at a standstill, the only reason the test might be void is because of excessive road noise but again the equipment is set up so that it tests this first.

I doubt anyone in the Garda reserve has anything to do with the traffic corp and would know about the same as the man down the pub on a Saturday night.

I doubt anyone in the Garda reserve has anything to do with the traffic corp and would know about the same as the man down the pub on a Saturday night.

Wrong With that statement..Thats most of what reserve gaurds do.. Help out at checkpoints..so theyd know ten times more then the man down the pub on a Saturday night!!

Wrong With that statement..Thats most of what reserve gaurds do.. Help out at checkpoints..so theyd know ten times more then the man down the pub on a Saturday night!!

Help out at checkpoints means check for papers on a windscreen, nothing to do with actual proper GTC procedures.

You wont see a Garda reserve using the noise or tint equipment for example.

Help out at checkpoints means check for papers on a windscreen, nothing to do with actual proper GTC procedures.

You wont see a Garda reserve using the noise or tint equipment for example.

They're still trained to use the equipment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

They're still trained to use the equipment

Reserve members are not trained to use the equipment and will not be trained to use it, they are confined to very limited powers and this part of the road traffic act does not apply to them. They may be present but they cannot do they test. It's mainly traffic corps who will carry out the test.

Bosco boy wrote: »
    Reserve members are not trained to use the equipment and will not be trained to use it, they are confined to very limited powers and this part of the road traffic act does not apply to them. They may be present but they cannot do they test. It's mainly traffic corps who will carry out the test.

You a Gaurd??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

A garda wound'nt ask you that!

Bosco boy wrote: »
    A garda wound'nt ask you that!

What??lol

After that you lodged a complaint to the ombudsman so it wouldn't happen to you again. Or advise your soliciter to write a letter outlining the issue.

If your 100pc legal there are ways and means of dealing with this. It may cost you a day out of work but it will finish it very quick.

I didnt lodge a complaint Jimmy it just didnt happen again. I have changed car now and im driving hasle free so far :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

I am living proof that this doesn't stand firm. I've a completely clean license, never had penalty points, driving convictions etc etc. Don't really ever drink so I can have the use of my car on nights out. Always have my car taxed, insured & NCT'd. Car washed prob 3 times weekly and no money spared in doing anything to the car. Yet, I'm stopped by local enough guards maybe 1 / 2 times per week, have been bagged over 100 times (yes I do keep a record and have been bagged 3 times in 20 minutes previously by different cops), have had my car searched, get my tyres checked (even though I change them at about 75% mark).
    Before you say its the car, its an Audi A4 which I lowered, put a kit and highflow exhaust on and that was that. No tinted windows, no neon lights etc. Considering I spent in the region of 1300 on my eventual coil overs alone so that I would have better handling (camber adjustement) you can well imagine the car is not rallied / abused even though I do enjoy watching others at it. Now why am I harrased by cops for having a hobby in my car? Sometimes you would think being a crack addict would be less hassle as they do nothing to deter people in these "hobbies"!

& before its asked I have no criminal convictions or reason for the cops to be hounding me for other reasons.

Advertisement