Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby steps

Options
  • 28-03-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭

I haven't run properly for c. 6 months. I'd an abductor muscle tear and being unable to run was a frustrating time. Still, a new arrival in the household kept me busy and I've tried to do what I can - a bit of cycling the odd weekend and a couple of sessions on a borrowed turbo (taa KC).

It took a while to get the right diagnosis. Getting that I hope I am on the recovery trail. It'll be slow and I may not get back to where I was before any time soon, but to be honest my priority is to get back to running and enjoying it. Sitting on your backside not running gives you a new perspective on things. As does a new baby in the house and an ill mum. All things have their place. And life needs a balance.

An ad hoc training log starts here. I'll document my progress and hopefully it will follow a recovery course. Getting back to enjoying my running and doing so without aches and pains is an initial objective. Once I can do that I can then consider new targets, but its baby steps here.

I've been given some stretches and strengthening exercises to do on a daily basis to build up the lower abdoms and left abductor. So far so good.

Yesterday was my first run in many months. Seeing the runners at the previous days Wicklow way races showed me how much I miss this running lark. Its great to see others running and enjoying it and its also great to see friends and colleagues doing well with their running, some very very well indeed. Bravo guys.

Yesterday. 4.1k, at just over 5 min k pace. No aches after.
    Followed by this a steady 38ish k MTB bike ride on roads and trails between Annacurra and Aughavannagh. Weather great for a cycle. This really is god's country when the sun shines.

Today. 4.4k run slightly faster than yesterday morning. 4:46 k pace.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Welcome back Running-Mad-Baby-Jogger! Nice and easy for these first couple of weeks:)

Today. 4.4k run slightly faster than yesterday morning. 4:46 k pace.

Don't be measuring progress yet. And that pace is too fast. But, yeah, great to have you back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Not hanging about, are you? First run in months and you're hitting respectable cruising speed.

In my long career as an A/R/T lurker, there was a lot of SJ posting, with a pretty good signal-to-noise ratio...then it mysteriously faded away. I look forward to more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great to see you getting back in to it and congrats on the baby, hope your wife is feeling better soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good to have you back SJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Hey Slogger Jogger, best of luck with the comeback. You're fairly cruising in your first few funs! I've had a long history of hamsting/abductor problems over the years. Started up Yoga/Pilates last October and it has done wonders. It really helps with flexibility and strenght around the general trunk area. If you've never tried it, I'd highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good to see you back SJ, where you belong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Thanks for the encouragement guys. There'll be little enough by way of speed or distance on show here for a while as I work up my endurance and courage to not push myself too hard too soon.

5.1k, 4:58 pace, 125m of climb.

I consider myself very lucky. Within 2 mins of an easy jog from my house I can be on the trail. Thats where most of my runs happen. This evenings run was slightly longer than last night. Took it handy. Nice bit of dizzle made for lovely running.

Strength and stretching exercises am & pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Glad to see you back. Congrats on the new arrival:).

6k, road, pretty flat, 4:28 pace.
    Quads sore from the am and pm stretches but I think I'm getting the benefit from it. 4 days in a row running and no aches from the problem area, so happy days so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Nice to see you back SJ. Congrats on the new arrival :)

• Advertisement

6k, road, pretty flat, 4:28 pace.
    Quads sore from the am and pm stretches but I think I'm getting the benefit from it. 4 days in a row running and no aches from the problem area, so happy days so far.

Way too fast. But sure, who am I telling?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

great to see you back; nothing faster than 4:30 though, ok? actually - even 4:30 is too fast. :)

I'm hearing you. Don't want to get carried away by adrenaline and happiness so did no run yesterday.

This evening, did the longest run so far this week, a massive 6.4k at 4:51 pace with 125m of hills. Bike ride in the morning with a fellow boardsie who will no doubt give out to me for doing too much too soon. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Build it, don't break it.

. . . . now, on the subject of breaking, I can suggest a route or two ;)

ocnoc wrote: »
    Build it, don't break it.

. . . . now, on the subject of breaking, I can suggest a route or two ;)

I think you've got a fascination with that route :D Get it on the calendar, for next year at least and lets all do it.

Last night listening to wind and rain I was a bit nervous about this morning. But morning broke with sunshine and calm. Nice for the planned cycle.

Did this with positivenegativ. Time flew. Undulating backroads with great views all around. I'll say it again, we're lucky to have this resource out our proverbial backyard. Legs started to feel it in the closing stages on the last few ups, so was glad to finish. 2 hours in the saddle is sort of my boredom and stamina threshold for the bike at the mo.

That's a nice route you did. The hill up to Gorteen is a killer! What bike did you use?

That's a nice route you did. The hill up to Gorteen is a killer! What bike did you use?

My trusty Lapierre MTB. Felt it toward the end. Took [URL="[URL=http://pix.ie/mickhanney/2246838][IMG]http://photos5.media.pix.ie/BD/C0/BDC05B6C31874943A188E3B121246F3B-0000332535-0002246838-00800L-076237FDF28E4504A9A1D1E732DF49C7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"]this[/URL] on that hill near the end.

This evening, I felt strangely fresh so headed out for a wee jog. Ended up doing a good 9k, trail run up my back hill and back down. 232m of climb, 4:57 min/km pace. Stopped at top of climb to take in the views. Lug magnificent in evening sun. Saw lots of deer bounding across the trails. Magical. Didn't push the pace. Felt tired but not sore after.

Another cycle to kick off Sunday. Took a nice loop via Woodenbridge and went off the beaten track, including a bit of trail through Avondale to get to Rathdrum, before heading back the main road. Heavy showers mid way and a gusting wind spoilt what was a nice scenic cycle. My giant TCX2 is a nice compromise between given a bit more speed on the road than the MTB, but you can still take it onto trail if you want.

39k, c 270m of climb, 24kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭PositiveNegativ

{(42km Bike + 9km run) + (39km bike)}/36hrs < 2 weeks after treatment = TROUBLE

• Advertisement

@pn - I was waiting for that. I hear you. I'll try to rain myself in. Its difficult. When you haven't moved freely in so long and feel now you can etc... Anyway, so far so good, no aches or pains from the trouble area.

Was half tempted to do a run on Sunday after but wisdom prevailed and a mother's day dinner was cooked and a glass of wine was had. That was much better.

Tiring start of the week with meeting following meeting. Couldn't wait to get out into the fresh air and run. Hit the trails beside the house and did a series of little loops which were fairly muddy after recent rain. 6k, 139m of climb, 4:46 pace. Very happy with pace considering. Finished at home with the usual daily regime of stretches and strength exercises on the lower abdoms.

Baby steps to full recovery and fitness continues.

Voice in my head said heed the advice you're getting, so hit the local trail again and slowed myself deliberately when I felt I was going too fast. Little trail loops, taking the rougher path options for the sheer hell of it. Pace was comfortable but ended up being still quite decent. 6.1k, 4:46pace, c100m climb.

I was thinking what my plan is. If I can run small distances and slow to average paced runs over a 3 to 4 week timeline, with no recurrence of injury I can then consider upping the pace and distance. Enjoy the running while I can. I was near 6 months without it. Don't take things for granted, they can be taken away from you so easily.

Back road run. Out 4k, back 4k. No looking at watch and no interest in pace. Not it fairly handy. Hot and strangely windy. Eventually looked at watch near the end and was surprised to see it was 4:29 min/k pace. Another day without aches, so another happy day.

So far so good Mr. Baby Steps, what is in your thoughts on the horizon? Are you thinking, "well its a nice soft downhill now..."?

So far so good Mr. Baby Steps, what is in your thoughts on the horizon? Are you thinking, "well its a nice soft downhill now..."?

I'm trying to avoid those voices in my head which tell me to try go quicker, or do hill repeats etc.. for the next 2 weeks at least. So far so good but I'm not getting carried away, easy does it and all that.

Yesterday. Nada, rest time.

This evening. Hit the trails near the house with no plan. Started uphill comfortably and steady and kept it going like that without any great speed but consistently moving forward. Turned at the top and took the trail down picking up speed but not pushing it. Tried to run downhill within myself. Finished run having done 9k, which is probably my limit at the moment. Very pleased though that avg speed was < 5 min k. and the climb was decent too.
    Moreover 4 of the downhill kilometers were sub 4 min k pace. No aches after either. Came across a few deer on the trail on front of me at one point. Its always a beautiful sight.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/77935044

After yesterday evening's running exertions it was time to get on the bike again and what a morning it was. Fab. Did just over 2 hours with glorious views of Wicklow back country. Avoided the worst of the hills.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/78029610

Approach to Aughavanagh from the Moyne direction.
    8326AA2FB66344A8B9D226C2C0FBC34A-0000332535-0002256433-00800L-DFD9C4EF47EE4675A6F1FBE0E6615D4A.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Very pleased though that avg speed was < 5 min k. and the climb was decent too.
    That's a bit quick for someone recovering, isn't it? Good to see you on the mend. Keep it that way!

Road loop, from home to Aughrim and back, taking it handy.
    11k, 4:45 pace, 132m ascents.

MTB road cycle, from home out around Aughavanagh. Hung around a bit and took some snaps of the cyclists from Arklow and the East and south-east take part in a 3 peaks cycling event, before they climbed slowly towards Glenmalure. Cracking day for it. 35k, 20kph, 470m ascents.

• Advertisement

Short run this evening between the showers. Down the road to the trail head. From there uphill to gate, turn and back. repeat 4 times. Steady.
    6.3k, 5:08 k/min pace, 223m climb. Felt a bit tired after the weekend but no aches and felt good besides that.

Advertisement