Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can we restart the thread where we bitch about guitarfix?

Options
  • 12-03-2011 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

because the man is an absolute nightmare

i've dealt with him twice - the first in person when i went to check out his shop, he seemed alright if maybe a little cold

the second - just rang him five seconds ago - need a pickup swapped and intonation setup. he kept interrupting me when i was telling him what i wanted, and when i said i wanted just the intonation done (he kept going on about cleaning the pots and sanding the frets, neither which i need), he snapped and said "here's what you can do, you can call someone else" and hung up

twat

the only reason i called him is cause i read his prices were very reasonable (which admittedly, they were), but i'd never deal with that kind of personality

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Did you mention the spring rolls?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Kev's a bit erm, how to say this nicely, out there most of the time :rolleyes:

His doesn't exactly take his business too seriously, and he can be quite shocking when trying to contact him, getting the stuff done in time, and sometimes getting the stuff back off him :confused:

His secondhand guitars can be quite good though, cheap enough prices the odd time, and they're all well set up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Kev's a bit erm, how to say this nicely, out there most of the time :rolleyes:

His doesn't exactly take his business too seriously, and he can be quite shocking when trying to contact him, getting the stuff done in time, and sometimes getting the stuff back off him :confused:

His secondhand guitars can be quite good though, cheap enough prices the odd time, and they're all well set up

If he is as bad as this, then the people who are giving him business are even worse. If he was boycotted, he might take things more seriously. Granted, someone might not know what he is like on their first dealings with him, but after that.. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Yawn. This is symptomatic of a wider malaise across Ireland.

I had thought about going to him before but now I think I'll just avoid.

Thanks for the heads-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭goblin59

I'm just going to jump in here and say i'v actually had really good experiance with him,
    he's sold both me and a mate of mine really good guitars for very cheap. And i regret missing out on an ibanez he was selling because i thought it was a different model and was gone when i relised fully what it was.
    He has repaired guitars for me within 24hours at no extra cost, just did it nice and quick and said to pop back in the next day to see if it was ready.
    he also sold me guitar parts such as pots straight out of his spares box at an extremely reasonable price.
    Iv also been in and seen him with a wood work student helping with the wiring problems for free on a guitar the student was making for a school project.

• Advertisement

goblin59 wrote: »
    I'm just going to jump in here and say i'v actually had really good experiance with him,
    he's sold both me and a mate of mine really good guitars for very cheap. And i regret missing out on an ibanez he was selling because i thought it was a different model and was gone when i relised fully what it was.
    He has repaired guitars for me within 24hours at no extra cost, just did it nice and quick and said to pop back in the next day to see if it was ready.
    he also sold me guitar parts such as pots straight out of his spares box at an extremely reasonable price.
    Iv also been in and seen him with a wood work student helping with the wiring problems for free on a guitar the student was making for a school project.

This just goes to prove how inconsistent this guy seems to be. How you are treated is a lottery, depending on what side of the bed he got out that morning. :D Personally, from the information in this thread, it's a gamble I would not take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭population

Only going from personal experience here, he changed a pup for me and fitted a coil tap. Did an excellent job and it was very reasonable costwise. However dealing with his eccentricities can be trying. Based on the work he did though I would use him again.

population wrote: »
    However dealing with his eccentricities can be trying.

These should be left outside the door when he enters his place of work/business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

have had a respray done there, a set up and traded a guitar for another and am happy out!

And no i am not friends with the lad, spoke to him 7 or 8 times in my life in connection with the above work.

have to say i never experienced any bad attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭new fang

all this positive sentiment towards him is really coming out of left field

every other thread dealing with setups on this site seems to paint him in a completely negative light, and i would have to agree. his prices and quality of work don't even enter into it.

how the hell am i supposed to give my business to someone who hung up on me? that seems like rewarding unwarranted behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭goblin59

new fang wrote: »
    all this positive sentiment towards him is really coming out of left field

every other thread dealing with setups on this site seems to paint him in a completely negative light, and i would have to agree. his prices and quality of work don't even enter into it.

how the hell am i supposed to give my business to someone who hung up on me? that seems like rewarding unwarranted behaviour.

To be honest what did you expect if your going to diss someone then of course people who have had good experience and would ask him to do any needed work again would stand up for him.

Just because you dont like someones attitude doesn't mean their work is crap. you can get people who are all cheerful, happy but are extremely **** at what they do. I know who i would rather have work on my guitars and other equipment.

If he hung up on you, he might have had good reason. To be honest if someone rang me and i knew they were bitching about me I'd hang up too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

goblin59 wrote: »
    To be honest what did you expect if your going to diss someone then of course people who have had good experience and would ask him to do any needed work again would stand up for him.

Just because you dont like someones attitude doesn't mean their work is crap. you can get people who are all cheerful, happy but are extremely **** at what they do. I know who i would rather have work on my guitars and other equipment.

If he hung up on you, he might have had good reason. To be honest if someone rang me and i knew they were bitching about me I'd hang up too.

This post doesn't make sense.

He didn't say his work was crap. In fact, he actually said the quality of his work doesn't enter into it because he couldn't even get past the personality.

And he didn't know that he was "bitching about him" when they were talking. That's not why he hung up. The thread on boards came after the conversation. He hung up because he was being obnoxious.

That's the very point that's being made here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rozzie!

Ive had 2 dealings with him in the past... all terrible...

1st time i paid 30euro(reasonable price) for a setup, but nothing was done... pretty sure he didnt even open the case to look at it, just took my money and gave the bass guitar back to me....

next time i went in, really quick job on the tuning pegs, needed for a gig that night. i said i needed it quick, he said no bother.... when i went back nothing was done and he didnt care, had to borrow a bass that night.

there are some great luthiers and gtr guys in this city. many of them are more expensive, but thy do the job well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 billyboy002000

Hi all

recently had work done in guitarfix and i have to say the quality was absolutely crap..charged an absolute fortune and did Nothing that i had asked..was very very dissapointed. steer well clear, he's an amateur at best..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Hi all

recently had work done in guitarfix and i have to say the quality was absolutely crap..charged an absolute fortune and did Nothing that i had asked..was very very dissapointed. steer well clear, he's an amateur at best..

It's telling from an outside perspective that your single contribution to anything on Boards is this single post. Are you a competitor perhaps?

Trolltastic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

If you have an issue with a post, report it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It's telling from an outside perspective that your single contribution to anything on Boards is this single post. Are you a competitor perhaps?

Trolltastic.

Give3n everyone else's experiences I wouldn't say they're a competitor and if they were they're only telling the truth.

I gave him €50 for a set up once, that'll be the last time I do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I don't think the competition would even bother to undercut kev anyways, they get all his pissed off customers afterwards!

The lads in MusicMaker do a good enough set up, around 30 quid with strings.

Nothing better than a Derek Nelson set up though, but it'll cost ya and there's a waiting line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Salzo Mancuso

Hi Just Stumbled over the Thread and was Fairly Shocked to read some of the Comments.... Ive been an Adverts User for as Long time and not one for the Ould Boards Threads but I though I had to add something to this

I have been In and out of Guitarfix since Id say it was opened and in all of the Guitars I have Bought or Traded with Kevin the Owner I have had nothing but good dealings and usually get a Great deal off him

I have seen a lot of his work and been in the shop if I was Passing to stop by for a look and say hello and I have seen him dealing with Customers in a Very Professional and Curtious way

Yeah no Doubt he likes to have a bit of Fun and enjoys his work but sure why wouldn't he

I have had numerous guitars worked on both electronically and for Repairs over the past 3 yrs and the work is always top notch and extremely reasonable compared to others that are operating in the same business

I'm Suprised when people say they have been and had work carried out and have been unhappy with the service/work Only to return again?
    That just doesnt add up in my book?

Again Im only Posting this as a Person who has dealt with him numerous times Im Not Him or related etc etc....

I can Imagine though as he has been operating for I think 3 Years at this stage he must be doing something right or he would not be still in Business

As they Say You only Ever here the Bad stuff Never the Good.. Jaysus it's seems to certainly be the Truth in this respect

Anyway to Finish my First ever Post..... Im sure the People who are happy with the service will continue to return Like myself and the Minority will look elsewhere

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 billyboy002000

Trolltastic.

Not a troll, just someone who had a bad experience and wanted to warn others. Everyone has to have a first post :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭new fang

to be fair, i do understand that he's done good work for people

in fact i was speaking to a friend in college whose dad plays in a band with this kevin fellow, and he's told me nice things about him and his work, but obviously, something is awry if he has as many dissatisfied / unhappy customers (or potential customers)

like i said, if he does great work and is a little grumpy, that's acceptable, but a) he can be, however occasionally, a dickhead in terms of attitude, and b) several people who've paid came out of it with late, bad or ZERO work done on their gear. that would obviously be a huge discouragement for people seeking his services.

basically, what i'm gathering is, it's a game of russian roulette if i take my guitar to him. for now i'll try music maker.. i've been in there and they've always been helpful if a little aloof.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭bluferbl

I had the misfortune of buying a guitar from Kevin Ford of Guitar Fix recently. When I bought the guitar I had no idea who Kevin Ford was or that he had anything to do with Guitar Fix, it was only after poking around on the internet that I put two and two together. The guitar was on Adverts.ie, it’s a 1982 Greco Strat and was described as:

“Great little strat sounds and plays like a dream comes with original hang tags and gig bag I bought this in the sound shop in 1982 and have owned it since new. Fret are like new and the guitar works as it should. its all original . check the Greco site to see how good these guitars are.thanks drew”

The above is copied from the original ad, the poor grammar and lack of punctuation are as they appeared online. On Adverts Kevin Ford was using the name Drew Peacock (presumably because it sounds like Droopy C0ck, very droll). You can see the original ad here:
    orignalad.jpg
    The transaction took place in Blackrock Market over one month ago on a Sunday afternoon. On a quick inspection the guitar appeared to be as described even though it looked like it had been set up by a child. It wasn’t until Monday that I was able to get a pack of strings and start to make it play like it should. The height adjustment for the pickups wasn’t working great so I took the scratchplate off to have a look. Under the scratchplate the body had been butchered to make a set of replacement pickups fit the guitar. To make the neck pickup fit, it looks like a chisel was used by hand to gouge out the wood. Here’s the inside of the guitar: bodycavity.jpg
    The pickups are not original Greco, the original pickups would not have had a ‘lip’ like a Fender pickup where the cables are attached. Hence the need to modify the guitar to make these pickups fit. If you look closely at the picture of the pickups you’ll also see that the bridge pickup is upside down. This mean that magnets on this pickup run South-North instead of North-South like the other two pickups. Why? Who knows, either laziness or stupidity would be my guess. Here’s a photo of the pickups: pickups.jpg
    So I send him a PM via Adverts.ie and tell him what I’ve found. He replied and asked that I email him some pictures, which I did. He replied:

“cant believe it mate! as i said i bought it from the sound shop as what i was lead to believe was a new guitar.....i have no problem refunding you but it might take a while as ive bought another guitar.once again i sold you this in good faith and was not aware what lay under the plate.the pickups look to be vintage fenders though so they might be worth investigating.any ways please inform me as to your intentions as i said i have no problem refunding you yours faithfully kevin ford”

Remember, at this stage I had no idea that Droopy C0ck is involved with Guitar Fix of Exchequer Street, Dublin 2, I just thought he was a private seller. Also remember that in the original ad Droopy says he bought the guitar new and that it is all original. With no sign of a refund I decided to google Kevin Joe Ford because I wanted to go to the cops and make a report but I had no address for him, all I had were 2 different mobile numbers and an email address. That’s when I discovered that Kevin Ford runs Guitar Fix, at that point all of the above seemed like such a pile of horse sh1t. How many people who repair guitars and have owned the same guitar since 1982 (29 years!), wouldn’t have looked under the scratchplate at some point. Maybe I should put up a poll and get people to vote on how many believe his fairy tale.

In the meantime, Drew Peacock has had himself removed from Adverts.ie. When I spoke to Kevin Ford about two weeks ago and I asked him why he was no longer on adverts. He said something to the effect that there are lots of sellers on Adverts who are actually dealers and not paying tax and that it all a load of b0ll0x, so he had asked adverts to delete all reference to him. Curiouser and curiouser…especially as I found out since then that he is a dealer and sold multiple guitars on Adverts.

If you read through the threads on boards.ie you’ll find quite a few negative remarks about Kevin Ford and Guitar Fix, I wish I’d read them earlier. You’ll also find where Kevin Ford has multiple user names on boards.ie and uses them to ‘pimp’ for business. Not very classy.

Now it’s a month later and despite calling and emailing I haven’t received a refund from Kevin Ford of Guitar Fix. So this is a cautionary tale if you’re going to do business with Kevin Ford, Guitar Fix or any of his other multiple online personalities – bring along a screwdriver.

By the by Kevin, if you read this and actually do give me the refund you promised, I’ll be happy to let people know that you came through in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

bluferbl wrote: »
    Very long post so I won't fully quote...

Jesus... Gotta say I'm shocked! As much as I've heard about him that is unbelievable. I usually like to give people the benefit of the doubt and I've had a good job done by him before (just replacing tuners) but I do think you're right about a guitar tech never opening up a guitar in 29 years. I can't believe it had been so hacked up. That's terrible form. Let us know whether or not you hear back from him!

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

stetyrrell wrote: »
    I find this extremely ironic. The guitars he sells out of his store too, he doesn't pay any tax on them either, he's not actually a registered seller so any guitars are all sold under the table without any tax.

I've dealt with him through adverts before too. That accounts been long since deleted though. Seems to me like he's trying to avoid bad feedback before he gets it!

And also (as I told Kevin I would do) I'm going to repost this information wherever and whenever I can on the internet. Search for Guitar Fix or Kevin Ford and hopefully prospective customers will be forewarned. I think it's called karma.

Just had Kevin Ford on the phone and he's not a happy camper. Apparently he is prepared to go to a police station and say that the guitar was not like that when he sold it to me. Is it just me or does it seem strange that if he never looked under the scratchplate (as he claimed) that he would be able to say what was under the scratchplate??? Doesn't make sense.

{snip}

Pretty outrageous thread.

If what you say is true and he is indeed going to sue you, it would be wise to stop posting messages about it on an internet forum, lest you libel or compromise yourself somehow.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Pretty outrageous thread.

If what you say is true and he is indeed going to sue you, it would be wise to stop posting messages about it on an internet forum, lest you libel or compromise yourself somehow.

The reason I posted was that I was hoping to have a debate in public and, if there is another side to the story, that it could be added and my points refuted.

I have zero fear of being sued because my story is 100% truthful. All I did was buy a guitar which was unfortunately not as described and I would be happy to repeat it in a court.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Posts have been removed from this thread. Discussing contemplated or pending legal action or posting any potentially defamatory statements is not allowed and will result in posts being removed and posters banned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 guitarfix

bluferbl wrote: »
    I had the misfortune of buying a guitar from Kevin Ford of Guitar Fix recently. When I bought the guitar I had no idea who Kevin Ford was or that he had anything to do with Guitar Fix, it was only after poking around on the internet that I put two and two together. The guitar was on Adverts.ie, it’s a 1982 Greco Strat and was described as:

“Great little strat sounds and plays like a dream comes with original hang tags and gig bag I bought this in the sound shop in 1982 and have owned it since new. Fret are like new and the guitar works as it should. its all original . check the Greco site to see how good these guitars are.thanks drew”

The above is copied from the original ad, the poor grammar and lack of punctuation are as they appeared online. On Adverts Kevin Ford was using the name Drew Peacock (presumably because it sounds like Droopy C0ck, very droll). You can see the original ad here:
    orignalad.jpg
    The transaction took place in Blackrock Market over one month ago on a Sunday afternoon. On a quick inspection the guitar appeared to be as described even though it looked like it had been set up by a child. It wasn’t until Monday that I was able to get a pack of strings and start to make it play like it should. The height adjustment for the pickups wasn’t working great so I took the scratchplate off to have a look. Under the scratchplate the body had been butchered to make a set of replacement pickups fit the guitar. To make the neck pickup fit, it looks like a chisel was used by hand to gouge out the wood. Here’s the inside of the guitar: bodycavity.jpg
    The pickups are not original Greco, the original pickups would not have had a ‘lip’ like a Fender pickup where the cables are attached. Hence the need to modify the guitar to make these pickups fit. If you look closely at the picture of the pickups you’ll also see that the bridge pickup is upside down. This mean that magnets on this pickup run South-North instead of North-South like the other two pickups. Why? Who knows, either laziness or stupidity would be my guess. Here’s a photo of the pickups: pickups.jpg
    So I send him a PM via Adverts.ie and tell him what I’ve found. He replied and asked that I email him some pictures, which I did. He replied:

“cant believe it mate! as i said i bought it from the sound shop as what i was lead to believe was a new guitar.....i have no problem refunding you but it might take a while as ive bought another guitar.once again i sold you this in good faith and was not aware what lay under the plate.the pickups look to be vintage fenders though so they might be worth investigating.any ways please inform me as to your intentions as i said i have no problem refunding you yours faithfully kevin ford”

Remember, at this stage I had no idea that Droopy C0ck is involved with Guitar Fix of Exchequer Street, Dublin 2, I just thought he was a private seller. Also remember that in the original ad Droopy says he bought the guitar new and that it is all original. With no sign of a refund I decided to google Kevin Joe Ford because I wanted to go to the cops and make a report but I had no address for him, all I had were 2 different mobile numbers and an email address. That’s when I discovered that Kevin Ford runs Guitar Fix, at that point all of the above seemed like such a pile of horse sh1t. How many people who repair guitars and have owned the same guitar since 1982 (29 years!), wouldn’t have looked under the scratchplate at some point. Maybe I should put up a poll and get people to vote on how many believe his fairy tale.

In the meantime, Drew Peacock has had himself removed from Adverts.ie. When I spoke to Kevin Ford about two weeks ago and I asked him why he was no longer on adverts. He said something to the effect that there are lots of sellers on Adverts who are actually dealers and not paying tax and that it all a load of b0ll0x, so he had asked adverts to delete all reference to him. Curiouser and curiouser…especially as I found out since then that he is a dealer and sold multiple guitars on Adverts.

If you read through the threads on boards.ie you’ll find quite a few negative remarks about Kevin Ford and Guitar Fix, I wish I’d read them earlier. You’ll also find where Kevin Ford has multiple user names on boards.ie and uses them to ‘pimp’ for business. Not very classy.

Now it’s a month later and despite calling and emailing I haven’t received a refund from Kevin Ford of Guitar Fix. So this is a cautionary tale if you’re going to do business with Kevin Ford, Guitar Fix or any of his other multiple online personalities – bring along a screwdriver.

By the by Kevin, if you read this and actually do give me the refund you promised, I’ll be happy to let people know that you came through in the end.
    ANY PERSON NOT HAPPY WITH REPAIRS OR ANY PURCHASE SHOULD RETURN TO GUITARFIX WITH PROOF OF PURCHASE OR REPAIRS DOCKET AND WILL BE REFUNDED IN FULL NO QUESTIONS ASKED! IT IS IN OUR BEST INTEREST TO KEEP OUR CUSTOMERS HAPPY AND THAT IS WHAT WE AIM TO DO.THANKS KEV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement