A Guide on Buying a used car in Ireland - Page 7 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-06-2011, 20:05   #91
Limerick man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombbastic22 View Post
Wow, didn't know you could do that! Nice one! ;-)
Did you even read the origional post
Advertisement
28-06-2011, 22:58   #92
Bombbastic22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limerick man View Post
Did you even read the origional post
Alas, Limerick Man, I only skimmed it.

I shall hitherto endeavour to pay greater attention to each and every word of your eloquent brilliance as there is no doubt great wisdom to be acquired therein.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, and my wife's bottom too
29-06-2011, 11:53   #93
MidlandsM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limerick man View Post
Something is dodgey there if he's saying he's a private seller.

Best thing is to ring him armed with your details and ask him straight out.

and shure he'll only say no........forget about it.
30-06-2011, 19:10   #94
Starman07

Apologies if posting in the wrong thread, but have a quick question.

Bought a 2nd BMW from a dealer last week, 3 month warranty and full service.They serviced it the day i bought it, but i've just checked and they never stamped it in the book? Is there any reason why they wouldn't have? Or is it just an oversight? Bringing it back in next week to be valeted. Should i insist that it be stamped?

Thanks.
30-06-2011, 19:40   #95
-Chris-
Closed Account

Don't insist they stamp the book, just ask. It was probably just a mistake.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-07-2011, 12:26   #96
whowantstwoknow

Checks for a Irish Registered (UK import)

I'm looking to see what checks can be done on an Irish registered UK import car.

Obviously the SH, VLC, a full motorcheck but I've seen threads here about the V5 serial number and issue date, but isnt the V5 taken by revenue when you do the VRT? If you did have these how and what sort of checks can you do with them?

Anything else?

W.
01-07-2011, 16:02   #97
MidlandsM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whowantstwoknow View Post
I'm looking to see what checks can be done on an Irish registered UK import car.

Obviously the SH, VLC, a full motorcheck but I've seen threads here about the V5 serial number and issue date, but isnt the V5 taken by revenue when you do the VRT? If you did have these how and what sort of checks can you do with them?

Anything else?

W.

if you have the english reg and english v5c doc no, you can do a dvla mot history check for free online.
08-07-2011, 21:14   #98
PatsyR

Is it ok or a bit dodgy to transfer money into the seller's bank account and collect the car later on the same day?
08-07-2011, 21:15   #99
-Chris-
Closed Account

Don't pay anything (beyond a reasonable deposit) until you have the car and keys.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-07-2011, 23:47   #100
Bob Cratchet

Blanking out number plates in car ads is all the rage now, supposedly to stop car cloning for tolls etc., but I'm sure it's also done to stop people doing a wee bit of research.

What are frequent buyers experiences regarding this ?
09-07-2011, 00:55   #101
Bombbastic22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cratchet View Post
Blanking out number plates in car ads is all the rage now, supposedly to stop car cloning for tolls etc., but I'm sure it's also done to stop people doing a wee bit of research.

What are frequent buyers experiences regarding this ?
Is that the reason? It seems kind of dumb since you could do that with any car at anytime whose reg is visible. I mean, why bother going to look up cars online when you can see em right outside your door.

It would make more sense to cover your reg up before going through tolls right? That way they don't know where to send the fines.

P.S: Joke

Last edited by Bombbastic22; 09-07-2011 at 09:27.
09-07-2011, 09:31   #102
Bombbastic22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsyR View Post
Is it ok or a bit dodgy to transfer money into the seller's bank account and collect the car later on the same day?
Very, very dodgy. I knew a guy once who sold the same motorbike to three different people - except that none of them actually got it.

Also, not sure if anyone has mentioned this but it's a good idea to ring the hp register to check if there is any finance owing on a vehicle cos you could be in hot water if there is

H.P register:
09-07-2011, 09:35   #103
sean1141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombbastic22 View Post
Is that the reason? It seems kind of dumb since you could do that with any car at anytime whose reg is visible. I mean, why bother going to look up cars online when you can see em right outside your door.
but say i am looking to clone the reg of a blue mondeo. i could be walking/driving around for hours looking to see one that i could get the reg off. where as it would be so much easier to log on to an online car sales site, input the make and model and sometimes colour and presto i have a list to chose from..
Thanks from:
09-07-2011, 18:26   #104
Bombbastic22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1141 View Post
but say i am looking to clone the reg of a blue mondeo. i could be walking/driving around for hours looking to see one that i could get the reg off. where as it would be so much easier to log on to an online car sales site, input the make and model and sometimes colour and presto i have a list to chose from..
Makes sense I guess.
09-07-2011, 18:29   #105
Bombbastic22

Was looking at a few 09 Mitsubishi Lancers of late and noticed that a lot of them have had two owners already.

Does anyone else think it's dodgy for a car to have already had two owners in two years?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion