Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for Irelands stoners? And maybe gardeners too.

Options
  • 01-03-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

Considering there are so many people in this country who are cannabis lovers, what would happen if through some internet camapign or the likes, each and every one agreed to plant the odd cannabis plant in various random locations all over the country?
    Would it become established as a wild plant spreading here there and everywhere and rendering it's illegal status more or less pointless, or would you all just have the best of intentions regarding planting it, but then just stay home eating lion bars and watching family guy re runs :confused:
    I wouldn't really be a cannabis fan myself and i freely admit i know very little about it's cultivation, but i seem to remember seeing a tv show which claimed it was one of the only plants that grew in all soil types and more or less all climates, so why isn't it everywhere?
    I mean, if we can't get rid of things like giant hogweed, that nobody wants, why isn't something that maybe 25% actually do want, growing everywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

Same thing that would happen if you could grow cans of beer from the ground.

People would drink them and never plant any.

You could plant 100 plants, yet never once recieve any plant yourself, and it wouldnt be long before the idea was given up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Jimmy the Wheel

You're argument already applies to mushrooms, which grow wild as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

I like the idea of it growing everywhere, the government are better off legalising it in some form or another anyway, people smoke it regardless anyway and the economy would make more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

The plants are pretty fussy when it comes to sunlight and temperature, not sure if they would survive without constant supervision

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Interesting idea. These plants need a lot of tending afaik, it also stinks to the high heavens and the smell is really noticable on warm days. I think you can get varieties that grow in our climate but I'm not sure. It needs routine watering, feeding and pruning plus heat and light and some of these are time specific. Pain in the behind basically.

If you put more than one together they can cross polinate and that wrecks the weed, but you won't get more plants if they don't polinate. They need an "expert" with a lot of patience.

You might get away with that on some remote farm but if you stick a plant like that in a public park its going to be noticed by either other smokers or the law. Can't see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Cannabis needs to be nursed for months of the year otherwise it dies, can't see someone going through the risk of planting it in the middle of a field then revisiting every day to make sure the sun/rain amount is correct.

You also have to remove all the males, and the new provisions enacted in the Lisbon Treaty, recently applied to car insurance, may lead to some difficulties for growers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

You're argument already applies to mushrooms, which grow wild as is.

But only in specific locations/conditions and also mushrooms are tricky to grow, not as easy as just planting one and leaving it be. Also weed appeals to many times more people than mushrooms do, so you'd be starting off with a much stronger base.
    Interesting idea. These plants need a lot of tending afaik, it also stinks to the high heavens and the smell is really noticable on warm days. I think you can get varieties that grow in our climate but I'm not sure. It needs routine watering, feeding and pruning plus heat and light and some of these are time specific. Pain in the behind basically.

If you put more than one together they can cross polinate and that wrecks the weed, but you won't get more plants if they don't polinate. They need an "expert" with a lot of patience.

You might get away with that on some remote farm but if you stick a plant like that in a public park its going to be noticed by either other smokers or the law. Can't see it happening.

As i said, i don't know all that much about them, but surely they grew and spread without any care from people in the first place? Also I'd imagine a lot of the time and attention that people put into them is to maximize the THC content rather than just keep the plant alive?

I can't see it ever happening either by the way, just thinking out loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Interesting idea, but think the worries about the plants not surviving in this climate are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I've done some amateur gardening myself. The messing about with UV lamps and heat levels is a pain....and the bloody thing dies half the time. Thats just in a bedsit never mind in your average Irish field.
    Still, keep up with the new proposals, Ming.:)

• Advertisement

As i said, i don't know all that much about them, but surely they grew and spread without any care from people in the first place? Also I'd imagine a lot of the time and attention that people put into them is to maximize the THC content rather than just keep the plant alive?

They will grow wild, but you'll have a poor yield, with less THC, if the males aren't removed.

Aside from smoking it, it should be cultivated for hemp; for paper, plastics, cloth, bio-diesel etc, if it isn't already.

As you said, it's healthier for the soil. It actually puts nitrogen back into the soil, instead of leaching it, and it sucks up more carbon dioxide than other plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I've done some amateur gardening myself. The messing about with UV lamps and heat levels is a pain....and the bloody thing dies half the time. Thats just in a bedsit never mind in your average Irish field.
    Still, keep up with the new proposals, Ming.:)

Ha, you gotta love someone who campaigns for drug legalisation and then calls himself ming the merciless like it's perfectly normal behaviour!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Planting in random locations will contaminate the local bio-diversity more than it already is with foreign species and risk them spreading and taking over. Granted, limited scope for this with hash plants but not a good idea regardless on the plant (or animal)

And also: "Drugs are bad, mkay"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

as long as we did it soon it should work nicely, mar/apr to sept is the ideal outdoor grow time so I'm told

I begs planting all over Galway City!! :p

Planting in random locations will contaminate the local bio-diversity more than it already is with foreign species and risk them spreading and taking over. Granted, limited scope for this with hash plants but not a good idea regardless on the plant (or animal)

Hemp, low THC content, is an indigenous European plant, AFAIK.
    The Scythians brought Cannabis to Europe via a northern route where remnants of their campsites, from the Altai Mountains to Germany, date back 2,800 years. Seafaring Europe never smoked marijuana extensively, but hemp fiber became a major crop in the history of almost every European country. Pollen analysis dates the cultivation of Cannabis to 400 B.C. in Norway; 150 A.D. in Sweden, and 400 A.D. in Germany and England.,[3] although it is believed the plant was cultivated in the British Isles several centuries earlier.[2] The Greeks and Romans used hemp for rope and sail but imported the fiber from Sicily and Gaul. And it has been said that "Caesar invaded Gaul in order to tie up the Roman Empire," all allusion to the Romans' need for hemp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Seriously lads, its not that hard to grow, its a bloody weed. The only real care that is needed is to ensure the plant is pruned, not so it will survive but to maximise yield. All males/hermaphrodites must be removed as well to prevent pollination and the risk of turning all that lovely bud into seeds. Cannabis can and does grow quite well in our climate, granted you need a fairly hardy strain to start off with but once it's established in fertilised soil it pretty much grows itself without any major drama.
    Despite what you hear in news reports all that stuff about heat lamps is complete bollocks, it doesn't require excessive heat or any crazy climate control to grow, they only mention heat lamps in order to make it seem harder to grow then it actually is thus dissuading people from trying their hand at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Sykk wrote: »
    Cannabis needs to be nursed for months of the year otherwise it dies, can't see someone going through the risk of planting it in the middle of a field then revisiting every day to make sure the sun/rain amount is correct.
    Interesting idea, but think the worries about the plants not surviving in this climate are true.

Not really true. Cannabis isn't a fussy or delicate plant at all. It is hard as fukking nails really. Frost or heavy floods will kill them but anything else and they'll grow away happy as larry. They don't need special fertilizer or special lamps or pruning or any care whatsoever really. Obviously if you treat them like your first born and artificially provide ideal conditions you will get a bigger, fuller stronger plant and you will get a ~100% survival rate but just sticking a bunch of seeds into muck and forgetting about them until harvest time can get you perfectly smokable plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Yeah i had this idea too a couple of years ago where i was going to use a plane to spread the seed but i like never got round to doing it .........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

A mate's college friend found a big bush of it growing in a public location in Dublin. They stripped it down but weren't typical dealer sorts so they sold it at bargain-basement prces just to get it off their hands - we bought a fifty-bag off them that honestly had about 2 ounces in it. Wasn't the best stuff by any means but it was weed alright, so it certainly can grow outside in our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

And to think my taxes are supporting these jerks:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

And to think my taxes are supporting these jerks:mad:

Wha....? Wrong thread I think man.

JOHN Q WASTERS MY TAXES PIMPLE FACED LOSERS TAPAYER JOHN Q KEEP ILLEGAL STOP TAXES MY TAKING Q JOHN

I think that should cover all subsequent posts in this vein.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

me and my friends planted maybe 300 hundred seeds all over the village we live in over the summer in the hopes that we could get a reaction. not one grew.:(

Pace2008 wrote: »
    JOHN Q WASTERS MY TAXES PIMPLE FACED LOSERS TAPAYER JOHN Q KEEP ILLEGAL STOP TAXES MY TAKING Q JOHN

I think that should cover all subsequent posts in this vein.

So you don't want to face reality pal?

You want to saddle the taxpayer with the detritus left over after the stoners, who after a lifetime of state dependence, succumb to terminal care, again at the expense of the state.

So what have we?

Life of uselessness ,nothing productive,all the while draining the scarce state resources which could be better employed looking after those who actually contributed to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Yeah im sick of these cannabis addicts clogging our A&E lying on the streets with needles in their arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

You want to saddle the taxpayer with the detritus left over after the stoners, who after a lifetime of state dependence, succumb to terminal care, again at the expense of the state.

So what have we?

Life of uselessness ,nothing productive,all the while draining the scarce state resources which could be better employed looking after those who actually contributed to society.

Your posts on cannabis threads are always good for a laugh :D

Spunge wrote: »
    Yeah im sick of these cannabis addicts clogging our A&E lying on the streets with needles in their arm.

Much more long term than that ,my friend, that scenario would be way too quick;)

So what have we?

We have be through this again and again and you continue to spout this crippled rhetoric like Reagan's broken tape recorder.

Summary: not all or even most stoners are good-for-nothing layabouts. You are extrapolating from the lowest common denominator and ignoring the many good people who work hard and reward themselves with the odd smoke.

I would suggest we legalise weed so any resultant costs are absorbed through taxes reaped.

"Don't expect me to pay your hospital bills, k pal?"

FFS, in the unlikely event I succumb to this vague marijuana malaise that will apparently strike me down , you will have to. If fiscal matters are your primary concern you should be supporting the legalisation movement.

We can dance this dance again, but I've realised at this stage that when it comes to these debates you don't have two left feet, you are completely quadriplegic with little chance of rehabilitation.

TPD wrote: »
    Your posts on cannabis threads are always good for a laugh :D

maybe so pal, but as long as I pay to rehabilitate these stoners, you will have to put up with it.

Ok pal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

So what have we?

Draining what services?

Advertisement