Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadetship 2011 Launched today

Options
  • 28-02-2011 11:17am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭

There are 30 places this year.

Applications online here.

I'll update if I hear more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

Finally I get to apply!

I wonder what the breakdown of places will be like.

Air Corps application from me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

20 - 5 - 5 would be a rough approximation I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

For those looking to apply, have a look at :

http://www.military.ie/careers/booklets/11-02-25%20(Feb)%20Cadet%20Booklet%202011.pdf

Be aware of the requirements both physical and educational before applying. On the fitness be prepared and push yourself to meet them before attending the test (i.e dont be unprepared and chance it on the day).

Best of luck to anyone going for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Some chap dropped off current class "I didn't realize we wouldn't be working 9-5 once we pass out".

Also, people showing up for fitness test that could not belt out 10 press ups!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I applied for the last competition but i'm unsure whether to go for this one or not. I've applied to the British army and have done my barb and job skills test a few weeks ago but was told i could be waiting 6-9 months and i'd still have to pass interviews and fitness tests. At least if i go for the cadets i'd have the advantage of having applied before and if i manage to get it i could be in sooner than 6-9 months.

On the other hand i'm not sure i want to stay in the country anymore and given there was a lot of competition for places last time, there'll probably be a couple of thousand apply again and it'll be pretty difficult to get it.

I might have to think about it for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭osullic

Just put in my application for the Air Corps Cadetship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

Best of luck to everyone, it's going to be tough :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 mhorda

Application sent in, Ill keep at them till they let me in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

sent in, only 17 so unlikely this time.have my forms processed and on the waiting list for rdf so at least ill have something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

What are the chances of getting in? 1000:1?

• Advertisement

mtb_kng wrote: »
    What are the chances of getting in? 1000:1?

Going by the competition last year there was around 1500 applicants i think for 21 places. I'd bet there'll be more applicants this time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Applied for an army cadet ship , already have a level 8 degree in accounting and finance ( come may ) aged 26 leadership skills etc , I have one question though what is the money like ??

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

Sarge wrote: »
    Applied for an army cadet ship , already have a level 8 degree in accounting and finance ( come may ) aged 26 leadership skills etc , I have one question though what is the money like ??

It's all in part two of the handbook, found here: http://military.ie/careers/officer/index.htm

Includes 10% reduction on all new public servants.

Stage two of the recruitment is at an interesting time for those doing college exams in late April/early May!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Yeah I was thinking the same , There is no way that i could take any time off Uni to go for assessment while studying for my final accounting exams .

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

Since there is such limited places, why don't they raise the fitness standards to say about 50 press/sits or more and a faster run. I know that fitnes isn't every thing but wouldn't it just get people who are a bit more serrious about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Since there is such limited places, why don't they raise the fitness standards to say about 50 press/sits or more and a faster run. I know that fitnes isn't every thing but wouldn't it just get people who are a bit more serrious about it?

low published fitness requirements are a test in themselves, its a good way of seeing who is prepared to 'coast' over the limits, and who is going to give it absolutely everything even though they are well inside the limit anyway.

attitude is much harder to train than merely the ability to run fast or carry weight - so they're looking for people who have the attitude to begin with.

I've put in my application anyway for the Army Cadetship. I saw an ad in the paper today for an aptitude test preparation course thats taking place in Dublin a few days before the actual aptitude test. I don't think they ran anything like that last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

whens the closing date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I've put in my application anyway for the Army Cadetship. I saw an ad in the paper today for an aptitude test preparation course thats taking place in Dublin a few days before the actual aptitude test. I don't think they ran anything like that last year.

If it's KC Training then I can recommend them, they're very good. The course last year was 150E but worth it if they're applying the same weighting to the aptitude tests.

Sugar Free wrote: »
    If it's KC Training then I can recommend them, they're very good. The course last year was 150E but worth it if they're applying the same weighting to the aptitude tests.

The details are on this site if anyones interested.

www.testpreparation.ie

It's €195 for the course though so that combined with having to pay to travel to dublin means i won't be doing it. I was able to pass the aptitude test last time though so hopefully i will be able to again if i do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭oldspice

Hi, Im just wondering if someone could help me with a few questions I have. I applied for the army cadetship today im 19 year old college student and this is my first time applying so im not expecting to get in on first attempt but would love to :D all the same, Im curious about what the aptitude test consist of as in what are the type of the questions you would be asked? Also I was thinking of going to a preparation course but its on the 2nd of April, will the aptitude test be before that does anyone know, I know the closing date for the competition is the 20th of this month, so does anyone have any idea ( at all ) as to when the aptitude test would be?? Thanks in advance... Oldspice !!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

I'm only in sixth year but I'm guessing from what I read in the handbook that I can't apply as I haven't completed my second level education. Am I right yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

If you are going to be completing the leaving cert this year, then you can apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 mhorda

oldspice wrote: »
    Hi, Im just wondering if someone could help me with a few questions I have. I applied for the army cadetship today im 19 year old college student and this is my first time applying so im not expecting to get in on first attempt but would love to :D all the same, Im curious about what the aptitude test consist of as in what are the type of the questions you would be asked? Also I was thinking of going to a preparation course but its on the 2nd of April, will the aptitude test be before that does anyone know, I know the closing date for the competition is the 20th of this month, so does anyone have any idea ( at all ) as to when the aptitude test would be?? Thanks in advance... Oldspice !!

Theres a verbal reasoning section, in which you read passages and pick the correct answer etc ( you can get books in waterstones for this )

numeric reasoning is next..again there are loads of little sections all on the page and you have to find the one relating to your question and work out the answer..this part is tricky...bring calculator and be sure you know how to use it

third part is the job analysis...they give you a situation and you have to pick the answer most applicable to you..I.e

you are walking back to your billet and you are going by the NCO's billet.You know you are not allowed to walk along the corridor ajoining the officers and NCO's billets but it was raining so you took a chance. in a bin you see a copy of the test for tomorrows big exam that is worth 50%, do you...

a) take test for yourself and tell no one

b) report to NCOs that the test is there, but dont read it even though you know you will get into trouble for being on the NCO corridor

C) read through the test, put it back and go back and tell all the lads the major topics

D) keep walking and say nothing, you dont want to get into trouble

something like that came up a few years ago...then you pick the answer that you would do..theres no right or wrong..all answers have some marks..some just have more than others

I think the aptitude tests are in april...think it says so in the manual

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭oldspice

Oh okay thats grand thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rallye150flyer

i made it to the last 90 for the air corps last time around from 500 so going for it again i heard from a good source that they are taking on three air corps cadets same as last time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

i made it to the last 90 for the air corps last time around from 500 so going for it again i heard from a good source that they are taking on three air corps cadets same as last time

I heard an unconfirmed rumour from a colleague that it is 6 flyboys this year.

yekahS wrote: »
    I heard an unconfirmed rumour from a colleague that it is 6 flyboys this year.

it would be great if that did turn out to be true no matter what, its going to be difficult to get in

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭osullic

Can you apply for all three cadetships??

• Advertisement

yes you can apply for them all

Advertisement