Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pretence Of Sinn Fein

Options
  • 20-02-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I have asked this question 6 times on the boards of the SF supporters but as yet I have not received an answer.
    Sinn Fein has told us that if in Government that they would do the following.
    [Point 2 of the reasons to vote for Sinn Fein as per their manifesto is

2. Sinn Féin would reverse cuts to public services and social welfare introduced in Budget 2011. We are the only party to clearly state that we would do this.

They have also said that they would reverse the Universal Social Charge.
    All great news for everyone. However there is just one little thing that is bothering me and I can’t get a satisfactory answer to.

How come SF is supporting the social welfare cuts to be imposed from Westminster on the working class of Northern Ireland?

How come SF are supporting cuts in NI of the Health Service

How come SF will be supporting and implementing cuts in NI that total up £4 Billion.

Wow, how times have changed. Here we have SF trying to save the Queens shilling through budget cutbacks.
    But the big question is how can they reverse the cut back in the Republic and support them in N Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Fire them an email perhaps?

They dont have control of tax in the north. If they didnt dole out that money stormont would collapse, I dont think its fair to compare them being in power in the north with the possibility of being in power in the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 boyle betty 1957

there is 5o million people in the uk .

4 + million in ireland.big difference

some of the cuts in the uk are needed.but no country should never cut its health Service or jobs.
    the uk is in very bad shape at the moment and have very little gold to back their pound up.imf bailout is on the way for them soon.

sf are in power sharing.so they do have to agree to things they dont want do like cuts because they will be made do it and that would not go down well with some voters. at the end of the day sf sometimes have to do what their told OR the whole thing could break down,worse case you have people fighting on the streets again.were past all that lets keep moving forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭crebel81

there is 5o million people in the uk .

4 + million in ireland.big difference

some of the cuts in the uk are needed.but no country should never cut its health Service or jobs.
    the uk is in very bad shape at the moment and have very little gold to back their pound up.imf bailout is on the way for them soon.

sf are in power sharing.so they do have to agree to things they dont want do like cuts because they will be made do it and that would not go down well with some voters. at the end of the day sf sometimes have to do what their told OR the whole thing could break down,worse case you have people fighting on the streets again.were past all that lets keep moving forwards

Something that anti shinners have in common is being as backward as possible...the proof of this can be seen by voting the same oul parties in and out at every election, with little if no reform.

crebel81 wrote: »
    Something that anti shinners have in common is being as backward as possible...the proof of this can be seen by voting the same oul parties in and out at every election, with little if no reform.

no forwards i said, this time no to ff fg and lab thats going forwards or are you happy with free tea cozys and cheese.

no forwards i said, this time no to ff fg and lab thats going forwards or are you happy with free tea cozys and cheese.

Think u took me up wrong their betts...I am agreeing with you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Gerry on the Week in Politics was providing more comic relief in relation to the economic policies of Sinn Fein. When asked where they would get the money to pay social welfare if they kick out the IMF he couldn't answer. Then he said if he's elected he'll only draw the average indutrial wage just like the other SF TD's. Fair play Gerry but the Sinn Féin TDs relieve the tax payer of the full amount of a TDs pay and pay the balance above the industrial wages into the coffers of Sinn Féin. Very admirable :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

SF can promise any kind of pie in the sky nonsense - and they do - as they and everyone else know that they won't be in power in the next government. They'll never have to put into practice their policies, so they propose all the populist, unfeasible, wildly irresponsible plans just to get votes. In NI they are confronted with the reality, here they are still living in fantasy land.

Yet another thread about Sinn Fein, I must say it is getting tiresome.

And the same old Sinn Fein Bashers as active as ever whenever they see The words SINN FEIN.

Fianna Fail promised the world in 07.

Lets see what FG can do with all the things they are promising.

Hopefully Irish wont be replaced with compulsory German.

fisgon wrote: »
    SF can promise any kind of pie in the sky nonsense - and they do - as they and everyone else know that they won't be in power in the next government. They'll never have to put into practice their policies, so they propose all the populist, unfeasible, wildly irresponsible plans just to get votes. In NI they are confronted with the reality, here they are still living in fantasy land.

mmm hope its a chicken and mushroom pie yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

fisgon wrote: »

Here is your homework for tonight and it would help if youlistened to his Saturday programme as well, argueing with Sinn Fein just because they are Sinn Fein wont solve the bigest mess we have ever had, PLEASE !!
    http://thepeopleseconomy.com/roadmap-to-recovery/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Yet another thread about Sinn Fein, I must say it is getting tiresome.

And the same old Sinn Fein Bashers as active as ever whenever they see The words SINN FEIN.

Fianna Fail promised the world in 07.

In 07, everyone promised the world, and everyone thought the money was there to pay for it.

In 2010,only sinn fein are promising the world, and everyone knows that the money isn't there to pay for it. The money isn't there to pay for the states current expenditure. Generally the so-called ''sinn fein bashers'', are the people who realise that you can't fill a €19bn gap indefinitely with a <€5bn pension reserve fund, and without borrowing from the only people who will lend to us (the EU/IMF).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I'd like to know at what rate SF think we would be able to borrow at on the the bond markets if we default on bank debt? As a central tenet of their economic policy they should be able to give an estimate.

Sergeant wrote: »
    I'd like to know at what rate SF think we would be able to borrow at on the the bond markets if we default on bank debt? As a central tenet of their economic policy they should be able to give an estimate.

Considering we hover near 10% without having defaulted, i think we either wouldn't be able to borrow, or would have a ridiculously exorbitant rate (>20%) which clearly wouldn't be feasible. Within weeks of a SF government, the money would stop. No public sector pay cheques, strikes all round, no social welfare., no services, no civil service, no public transport, anarchy basically . . . . .all hypothetical of course because sinn fein are unlikely to take more than 20 seats . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

.all hypothetical of course because sinn fein are unlikely to take more than 20 seats . . .[/QUOTE]

that many! that's very optimistic. Even Sinn Fein must realise that they are only a stick the electorate are using to beat Fianna Fail with. FF will be getting their caning in this election - but they will be back next time round.

cbreeze wrote: »
    .all hypothetical of course because sinn fein are unlikely to take more than 20 seats . . .

that many! that's very optimistic. Even Sinn Fein must realise that they are only a stick the electorate are using to beat Fianna Fail with. FF will be getting their caning in this election - but they will be back next time round.

I didnt say they'd take that many, but they certainly won't take more than that many!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Would have thought that would suit a certain strain of Shinner ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

cbreeze wrote: »
    .all hypothetical of course because sinn fein are unlikely to take more than 20 seats . . .

that many! that's very optimistic. Even Sinn Fein must realise that they are only a stick the electorate are using to beat Fianna Fail with. FF will be getting their caning in this election - but they will be back next time round.[/QUOTE]

next time round the pain and the mess will still be effecting us so I don't think any time soon they will be back.

on the OP sometimes working on the inside can get the job done quicklier ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Black Bloc

Gerry Adams on Sean O'Rourke's TV programme tonight. The experience was surreal. Adams implied that the ECB's propping up of Irish banks could go unpaid and that by some act of magic the state could then return to the bond market strengthened. The ECB has lent over €130 billion to domestic to keep them afloat since the crisis began. Last week the ECB lent Irish banks an additional €16 billion in overnight money - money that enables them literally to open their doors the next morning. Adams trotted out some waffle about 'Ireland's opportunity etc.' being an ace in these circumstances. Clearly the SF agenda is to fracture the link with the EU, drive Ireland into destitution and in that moment of economic and social death engineer an unspecified better future. Sinn Fein = Science Fiction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

I read on the thread - "Hopefully Irish won't be replaced by compulsory German"

On a mildly satirical, tongue in cheek way -

I rather suspect thats the plan under the surface. They've eyed up the economy, fattened it, took a look through the periscope, torpedoed it. Now they control the lifeboats and the salvage equipment

Because when Australia and America cannot take anymore Irish emigrants, the Germans would prefer us to the Turkish or former Yugoslavs as migrant workers. Besides, its closer, the wages are almost good enough there to pay off severe debt levels over the course of 5 or 6 years, depending on what is available.

As for Sinn Fein, I'd prefer them to Fianna Fail now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Still nobody trying to answer this one.

There is no answer to it, it's as simple as that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

All politics is pretence. No matter who is in charge there will be cuts. The gap between revenue and expenditure needs to be bridged on one hand. The gap between confidence and cynicism - by contrast, also needs to be bridged. No party out there will get a vote by stating the brutal truth, plain and simple.

Sinn Fein will engage in populist nonsense to garner votes. They can afford to, they are'nt looking at the reins of power. The most - perhaps, controlling the amount of fuel (red diesel perhaps) in the economic tank.

Ireland reached such a wealth level in the 2002-2007 Bubble period that nobody noticed the debt levels, and believed it could be paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

Fitzerb wrote: »
    I have asked this question 6 times on the boards of the SF supporters but as yet I have not received an answer.

How come SF is supporting the social welfare cuts to be imposed from Westminster on the working class of Northern Ireland?

How come SF will be supporting and implementing cuts in NI that total up £4 Billion.

Wow, how times have changed. Here we have SF trying to save the Queens shilling through budget cutbacks.
    But the big question is how can they reverse the cut back in the Republic and support them in N Ireland

I wouldn't describe myself as a SF supporter but I would suggest that perhaps part of the reason you aren't getting any response is that you aren't genuinely interested in the answer. Ask yourself - why are you asking these specific questions? Is there a hidden unasked question amongst them? Why not ask that instead? Why bother asking questions you don't have a reasonable expectation of being answered. Perhaps after the 2nd or 3rd time you could have tried rephrasing them since no-one understood what you were asking?

After asking your three main (unanswered) questions you ask what seems to be the real question - why do SF have different policies in different countries. I'll have a go at answering this one - it is perhaps because they are two different countries. But then I think you already knew that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

2. Sinn Féin would reverse cuts to public services and social welfare introduced in Budget 2011. We are the only party to clearly state that we would do this.

All great news for everyone. However there is just one little thing that is bothering me and I can’t get a satisfactory answer to.

Why is there no SF candidate in Clare? Theyd have got a no.1 from me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Hi, I'm in the south, and as far as SF are concerned they have received A LOT of flack over their 'economic' policy.

Fair enough too..so have all the parties with various different policies going forward.

No matter what I 'think' of their 'economic' policy in the south - which is 'not much'....I do believe that they have 'something' to contribute and to say as regards politics in the republic today...they make some pretty radical and current questions as regards the political sphere and all it entails a 'blush' point for the old boys club.

I have no wish to see SF fade into 'oblivion'...I think it's important that they have representatives; I just don't believe they are ready for government, but they are at least trying in the political arena; prejudice aside.

I only ever voted for SF after a progress was made for peace in the north - I think that is something that should still be uppermost in our minds despite our economic problems in the south - by all means they are set to win a few 'seats' down here... Peace; is pretty good for everybody, let's never ever lose sight of it; north or south. In a 'global' world we've begun to know eachother that much better....we have so much in common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Dubol

I have asked this question 6 times on the boards but as yet I have not received an answer.

Why has the scandle of the expenses claims of Enda Kenny and other TDs not been published by the media. The false claims come to 4,000 euro in one case.The website thestory.ie has a list of the incorrect claims of over 100 TDs released under the Freedom of Information Act. I have read every page and on page107 Enda Kenny tried to claim for 520 euro more than he was entitled to. There are over 230 pages, in alphabetical order, where expenses claims were investigated. This information has only come to light recently and the right wing press and RTE are not covering the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Why is there no SF candidate in Clare? Theyd have got a no.1 from me anyway.

Why? People blindly followed FF which led us to where we are today. Now bizarrely another section would blindly follow the self destructive policies of SF simply because they like what they hear whilst ignoring the possible consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Dubol wrote: »
    tried to claim for 520 euro more than he was entitled to.

How he's entitled to €100,000 for spending 4 years as a teacher is beyond belief, he's not going to take it until he retires(isn't he all heart). He's part of the problem from what i've read over the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Why has the scandle of the expenses claims of Enda Kenny and other TDs not been published by the media. The false claims come to 4,000 euro in one case.The website thestory.ie has a list of the incorrect claims of over 100 TDs released under the Freedom of Information Act. I have read every page and on page107 Enda Kenny tried to claim for 520 euro more than he was entitled to. There are over 230 pages, in alphabetical order, where expenses claims were investigated. This information has only come to light recently and the right wing press and RTE are not covering the story.

What right wing press would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

All parties had TD's who had over claimed, Ferris of SF eg. There must be a conspiracy for all the parties then.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Black Bloc wrote: »
    Gerry Adams on Sean O'Rourke's TV programme tonight. The experience was surreal. Adams implied that the ECB's propping up of Irish banks could go unpaid and that by some act of magic the state could then return to the bond market strengthened. The ECB has lent over €130 billion to domestic to keep them afloat since the crisis began. Last week the ECB lent Irish banks an additional €16 billion in overnight money - money that enables them literally to open their doors the next morning. Adams trotted out some waffle about 'Ireland's opportunity etc.' being an ace in these circumstances. Clearly the SF agenda is to fracture the link with the EU, drive Ireland into destitution and in that moment of economic and social death engineer an unspecified better future. Sinn Fein = Science Fiction?

Last week the ECB lent Irish banks an additional €16 billion in overnight money and how long will that last ???? thats diging the hole bigger or would it not be better to stand on our own to feet,,oil and gas oil and gas hello we dont need imf or ecb.ireland with her farms could feed europe.wind power oil gas the list gos on we get nothing for because of the likes of fg and ff in the past. thats why we need change.europe has fecked us over 1973 to 2011 were on our knees.more money from the imf is not the answer more money we make ourselfs is the answer and thats what sinnfein are trying to tell us.its a plan that will take a few years but it can work

Advertisement