Countries where women cant work - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-01-2011, 19:26   #1
paky
Banned

Countries where women cant work

What do the ladies lounge think of societies where women cant work? by no means is our society perfect, we have our own problems, but can anyone give me any explanation to why some societies behave like this and does this way of living benefit their society in anyway?
Advertisement
20-01-2011, 19:32   #2
WesternNight

Quote:
Originally Posted by paky View Post
What do the ladies lounge think of societies where women cant work? by no means is our society perfect, we have our own problems, but can anyone give me any explanation to why some societies behave like this and does this way of living benefit their society in anyway?
Any article? Examples? Specifics?
20-01-2011, 19:33   #3
Stheno

What countries do not allow women to work? I've had a think through the likes of Afghanistan, Iran, Saudi,etc but women can work in those countries.

That said I'm a bit brain dead today.
Thanks from:
20-01-2011, 19:34   #4
Sleepy
Sleep Comes Tomorrow

They're a symptom of out-dated religious beliefs being given too much say in the running of countries.
20-01-2011, 19:35   #5
Ickle Magoo
Closed Account

Quote:
Can you start by giving us your own thoughts on the matter?
Advertisement
20-01-2011, 19:42   #6
paky
Banned

i was thinking that men have forced this on the women but if this is the case, then how have countries which have lived like this before ever evolve into the countries they are today??
20-01-2011, 19:42   #7
Nolanger
Banned

Ireland!

2. 1° In particular, the State recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved.
2° The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home.
20-01-2011, 19:44   #8
Stheno

Quote:
i was thinking that men have forced this on the women but if this is the case, then how have countries which have lived like this before ever evolve into the countries they are today??
What countries are you talking about where women are expressly forbidden to work, and for what reason are they forbidden to?
(3) thanks from:
20-01-2011, 20:07   #9
doovdela

Its riddiculous. Same as banning women from being educated is just silly in some countries. Men and women should be treated like equals, and not just a mans world or a womans world alone!
Advertisement
20-01-2011, 20:09   #10
jam_mac_jam

There are no such countries?
Thanks from:
20-01-2011, 20:13   #11
Stheno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam_mac_jam View Post
There are no such countries?
I can't think of one. Saudi allow women to work, however only about 5% of Saudi Muslim women work, but it is allowed. They have plenty of female foreign workers there. Sharia law allows women to work.

The only "society" I can think of who expressly forbade women to work were the Taliban,but they have not held power in Afghanistan since 2001 and only came to power there I *think* in 1996.

I'll be interested in finding out more if there are countries where women are still forbidden to work tho!
20-01-2011, 21:13   #12
Stheno

Some towns in Somalia which are controlled by Militants ban women from working, and Kuwait bans women from working at night, and in jobs which "contravene with public morals and in all-men service places at any time."
21-01-2011, 07:12   #13
Raze_them_all
Closed Account

So no real countries then?? TBh I doubt you'd find an actual country that bans women from working.
21-01-2011, 10:37   #14
ztoical

No country out right bans women from working...they couldn't as they'd be banning around 50% of their population and no country could function for very long doing that. There are countries that limit they type of work women are allowed do either directly or by putting other restrictions in place that limit their empolyment options [limiting travel options for example]
21-01-2011, 10:44   #15
Maple
Hosted Moderator

HMod: RC
I do not see the point of this thread. OP are you able to back up your initial post with any findings that detail countries where women are forbidden to work? Were you referring to something specific?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion