Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-01-2011, 20:42   #1
emmet02

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Think its about time this thread saw the light of day!

They say good news comes in threes, and today was evidence of that as Ulster secured the future of three of their most promising players with new contracts.

Quote:
Ulster received a boost ahead of this weekend's crucial Heineken Cup clash against Biarritz with the news that lock Dan Tuohy, prop Paddy McAllister and centre Nevin Spence have all agreed new contracts.
Ulster received a boost ahead of this Saturday's crucial Heineken Cup clash against Biarritz with the news that lock Dan Tuohy has signed a new two year deal with the club, while prop Paddy McAllister and centre Nevin Spence have upgraded from development to full contracts.
Tuohy, who won his first international caps for Ireland during last summer’s tour of Australia and New Zealand, moved from Premiership side Exeter Chiefs, on a two year contract with Ulster ahead of the 2009-10 season. Having come through a strong academy system in the Guinness Premiership with Gloucester, the Irish-qualified lock had Ireland U21 honours to his name before his arrival in Belfast and with his excellent line-out abilities and a fair turn of pace, he’s become a regular in the Ulster side on match day.

Youngsters McAllister and Spence are both products of the Phoenix Ulster Rugby Academy.

Prop Paddy McAllister ,who was awarded a development contract ahead of the start of the current season, made his Ulster debut coming on as a replacement against the Ospreys in September. The Ballynahinch player, who has has represented Ireland at Schools, U19 and U20 level has featured regularly in the Ulster match day squad this season.

Centre Nevin Spence also joined the Ulster Squad on a development contract this summer after featuring for Ireland U20s in the Junior World Championship in Argentina. The former U16 Northern Ireland football international got his first Ulster start against Glasgow last April and has started six matches for Ulster so far this season, scoring a memorable try in Ulster’s defeat of Bath at The Rec last month as well as one last Friday night against Treviso.
Baffled that there isn't much activity from the Ulster lads on here, hopefully starting this thread will draw yee out of the woodwork?
Advertisement
10-01-2011, 21:00   #2
damianmcr

Checking in.

Massive game this weekend.

No word on Pienaars injury? Didnt seem too bad.
10-01-2011, 21:07   #3
borna7

Great news on all 3. Really hope Tuohy gets a chance in the 6 nations as he's been outstanding for the last few months. McAllister too has done exceptionally well for such a young prop and should get good game time during the 6 nations with Court likely to be involved with Ireland.

Massive game on Saturday. A win an Ulster can at last qualify for the knock out stages of the Heineken,
10-01-2011, 21:10   #4
PhatPiggins

They were right to tie Spence down quick smart. The English clubs would be sniffing around within the next 12 months other wise.

Conor O Shea was waxing lyrical about Griffen and Spence during Connachts game last thursday. There was an embarrassing silence when it was suggested that he might want to lure one of them to Quins.
10-01-2011, 22:39   #5
thomond2006

Great news on Spence and McAllister.

I think Cave will struggle to get his jersey back off Spence when he returns.
Advertisement
10-01-2011, 22:45   #6
whysomoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomond2006 View Post
Great news on Spence and McAllister.

I think Cave will struggle to get his jersey back off Spence when he returns.
The good news though is that they offer completely different options. I like the way home grown players are bearing a bit of fruit for Ulster too as their schools system is right up there with Leinster's, they just seem to drop off a bit.
11-01-2011, 13:05   #7
jacothelad

With Jackson, Luke Marshall and James McKinney all showing as decent prospects at 10 and in Marshall's case as a 12 or 13, if these guys progress properly we are set fair in the creativity department. With Spence, Cave and Whitten already in place, Michael Allen also at 13 could yet prove a seriously good player. He is one of the quickest centres I've seen recently.

Even with McAllister at loose head, we are still short of good props, tight head in particular, and brutally big, strong second rows coming through. Adam Macklin might eventually make good but from what I've seen of him before his injury he has a lot to do to be a pro tight head. Fitzpatrick and Cronin are average - not bad - just not top class so far.

There is a horrible rumour Ulster will replace B.J. Botha with Timmy Ryan who, let's face it, has been pretty hopeless in Toulon and Newcastle. Let's hope it's not true.
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2011, 18:38   #8
[Jackass]
Closed Account

He's gotten absolutely hammered in the English Premiership this season, but in fairness, Cian Healy looks like two different players for Leinster and Ireland, so it's tough to preform in such a weak pack, so maybe Ryan isn't all bad.

Wouldn't be surprised if he came home, as we need all our tightheads in Ireland, but can't see him making any Irish team on his performances this season (Hagan is the most promising young fella imo).

As for thread, really happy to see an Ulster thread. We don't get nearly enough talk from the lads up north on here, so would be great to see more and more Ulster fans involved in the forum.
(3) thanks from:
11-01-2011, 18:43   #9
emmet02

Absolutely vital weekend of Rugby ahead for Ulster. They've a real chance of getting a decent spot for the HEC QF if they can push forward.

Its encouraging to see their youngsters having no problem stepping into the mantle too. We may not hear about them as early as we do from other provinces, and there's less of a fuss about them. I think its a super reflection on the coaches and I can see a big growth in Ulster rugby in the next 3/4 years.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2011, 18:57   #10
irishbucsfan

If Tim Ryan comes home and doesn't go to Munster surely there'll be some very angry southerners around the place... I mean at least Ulster have Tom Court!

Ulster are my second team (family all from there) so I'm delighted to see this thread rear its head. Have a feeling more Ulster fans will come out of the woodwork as their youths come into the team and they start to improve. Have a feeling this year may come a little early, but I do think Ulster will be winning major trophies in the next 5 years.
11-01-2011, 19:40   #11
PhatPiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbucsfan View Post
If Tim Ryan comes home and doesn't go to Munster surely there'll be some very angry southerners around the place... I mean at least Ulster have Tom Court!

Ulster are my second team (family all from there) so I'm delighted to see this thread rear its head. Have a feeling more Ulster fans will come out of the woodwork as their youths come into the team and they start to improve. Have a feeling this year may come a little early, but I do think Ulster will be winning major trophies in the next 5 years.
This southerner for one wouldn't be in the slightest bit bothered if Ryan didn't come back. No offence Tim I'm sure you're a lovely lad and all that.

What's happened to Ryan Caldwell? He was playing really well at the start of the season but seems to have fallen of the face of the earth since November.
11-01-2011, 19:45   #12
ambid

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Jackass] View Post
...Wouldn't be surprised if he came home, as we need all our tightheads in Ireland, but can't see him making any Irish team on his performances this season (Hagan is the most promising young fella imo)...

What about John Andress at Harlequinns? He's from Belfast and plays prop (tighthead too I think). Does anyone know anything about him?

Definitely agree it would be good to see our tightheads back home.
11-01-2011, 21:08   #13
thomond2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatPiggins View Post
What's happened to Ryan Caldwell? He was playing really well at the start of the season but seems to have fallen of the face of the earth since November.
Behind Muller, Tuohy and Barker nowadays.
11-01-2011, 22:35   #14
jolley123

ULSTER Squad (v Biarritz Olympique) - Backs (12): Adam D'Arcy, David McIlwaine, Jamie Smith, Mark McCrea, Andrew Trimble, Simon Danielli, Paddy Wallace, Nevin Spence, Ian Whitten, Ian Humphreys, Paul Marshall, Ruan Pienaar.

Forwards (17): Tom Court, Declan Fitzpatrick, Jerry Cronin, Bryan Young, BJ Botha, Rory Best, Nigel Brady, Andi Kyriacou, Tim Barker, Neil McComb, Dan Tuohy, Johann Muller, Thomas Anderson, Chris Henry, Willie Faloon, Pedrie Wannenburg, Stephen Ferris.
11-01-2011, 22:45   #15
Digifriendly

Think i'm right in saying that if Ulster beat Biarritz and deprive the French of a bonus point then a BP win in Aironi will see them progress whatever Biarritz do against Bath. So here's hoping for a win on Saturday. Can't see Ulster scoring 4 tries but could see them depriving Biarritz of losing BP. May well depend on what French team turns up.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion