Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

used veg. oil as a fuel

Options
  • 10-01-2011 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Just been in my mind for a while - used veg. oil as a diesel substitute! is it legal? and can it be used on my 00 passat 1.9tdi ^_^

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

yes but you are suppose to notify revenue and pay tax on the vegitable oil lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Rumplestilskin

seriously? Don't suppose you know how much and if it 's worth it?

And if it was already USED veg. oil, then surely the tax would have been paid on it when it was paid for the first time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭merc3ps

To use it in a 1.9Tdi you would have to install a kit or you will ruin it.
    Used veggie oil needs to go through a filtration process.

The price of veggie oil rose in recent years so it is not as attractive an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

cant see it being safe or legal to just pour it straight into your tank :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭merc3ps

It is safe, but not in that engine. I ran some cars on pure veggie oil for a while with no problems.

The legal way is to buy the veggie oil from an approvied supplier. eilisoils used to be one but I'm not sure what state that industry is in at the moment. They were bought by Glanbia.

• Advertisement

yea ok fair points. Thanks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your car will also smell like a greasy chipper...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

yes but you are suppose to notify revenue and pay tax on the vegitable oil lol

Payable after you reach 1000l in theory and Im not aware of anyone that has done this. Revenue were contacted and couldnt advise either. But seriously, who cares? If you were dipped, they are only looking for a coloured diesel fuel. Mix the diesel with Veg Oil and it likely doesnt really even look that different than regular fuel. Definitely not green or red.

The UK addressed this "issue" by simply allowing home users to make/use 2500litre of fuel a year and most recently relaxed the legislation further by not even requiring receipts or notification anymore, its a totally open system.

The best fuel to Cut the Veg Oil with is Kerosene (28sec Home Heating Oil) as its naturally less viscous than Diesel and offers less lubrication, both addressed by Veg Oil (which is in its natural form too viscous for your era Diesel engine). Using home heating Kerosene as road fuel though is specifically illegal however, unlike running on pure Veg Oil which is legally more grey.

All that said, the legal aspect of all this is so so boring. The technical aspect is much more suited to a motoring forum....

I was looking into this for a long time and came across many interesting tidbits like:
    - Common knowedge is that only very old diesels can use SVO (straight, new Veg Oil) however I found reports from TDI (PD Diesel) and JTD (Alfa/Fiat Common Rail) owners tried it with no issues till they got to 80% mixes (20% Diesel).
    - Apparently properly filtered (no water and 1micro filtration) WVO (waste, used Oil) actually performs better than SVO
    - Those that had issues generally solved them by just replacing the fuel filter and lowering the % mix
    - Rapeseed/Canola oil is meant to be much easier to get good results on as its less viscous than the other Veg Oil types

So where can I get Veg Oil cheaply? Its 1.14 in Lidl per litre... thats not even close to cheap enough IMO. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

I have tried in FIAT Jtd engine
    Won't work at all
    Even in summer the engine is not starting when cold
    It is too viscous and not lubricating the expensive high pressure pump

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

seriously? Don't suppose you know how much and if it 's worth it?

And if it was already USED veg. oil, then surely the tax would have been paid on it when it was paid for the first time?

But previous tax was paid on the basis it was to be used as a cooking oil, but you're using it as a fuel so that means you are liable for fuel excise. That's the theory anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

I Have ran my 96 406 Td with 70% vegoil and 30% diesel during the summer
    months and it loved it..:)
    It actually did smell like a bbq...:D
    I found it difficult to source used Veg oil and as Matt has said its expensive to purchase new veg oil....:(
    The 406's has a diesel preheater which helps heat up the oil in the fuel filter.
    Ideally you would want to start your engine on diesel and change over to veg oil but you would need to fit a two solenoids and a heater exchanger connected into the coolent circuit which would bring up the temp of the oil.

maybe something like this.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Straight-Used-Waste-Vegetable-Veg-Oil-Diesel-Heater-/250720640216?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&var=&hash=item800f9e8472

Piri wrote: »
    I have tried in FIAT Jtd engine
    Won't work at all
    Even in summer the engine is not starting when cold
    It is too viscous and not lubricating the expensive high pressure pump

What engine, year and % mix?

EDIT: Mixed reports here on the JTD:
    http://www.fiatforum.com/multipla/109344-will-diesel-multipla-run-vegetable-oil.html

Some good news on the Veg Oil front, I found a cheaper retail source of Veg Oil - Spar of all places. "Rite Price Veg Oil" : 99c a litre !
    Still only sold in 1litre bottles, so its not all that useful as a Fuel, but handy for small scale testing.

Their shops own brand is made from (Genetically modified) Soybean bean, which is one of the better oils to use as a fuel.

Some notes on Soybean Veg oil that may be of use to other home experimenters:
    Iodine Value: 115-140 (German Veg Oil fuel standard dictates lower than 110, so this fails). High IV indicates a greater potential to polymerize under engine heat like temps. However this is not a given and IV can be lowered via blending.
    Viscosity: 32mm2/s (Diesel is 2.7mm2/s, Sunflower Oil is 37mm2/s)
    So better than Sunflower oil (and cheaper) however much thicker than diesel.
    Actual proper BioDiesel is allowed upto 5.0mm2/s Viscosity.
    Kerosene is around 1.6mm2/s (ie "thinner" than Diesel)
    All figures at 40c.

Melting point: -16c, so fairly resilient in our temps.

Also found that recommended filter sizes for diesel is about 5micron for old diesel and 2micron for Common Rail diesels. So if I could get a 2 micron filter I could see straight up what blends do and dont flow through it and also an idea of flow rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Well researched there Matt...:cool:
    No where is my local Spar shop...:confused:
    I wonder can i reverse my trailer to there door...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jimbobjones40

Matt Simis wrote: »
    The best fuel to Cut the Veg Oil with is Kerosene (28sec Home Heating Oil) as its naturally less viscous than Diesel and offers less lubrication, both addressed by Veg Oil (which is in its natural form too viscous for your era Diesel engine). Using home heating Kerosene as road fuel though is specifically illegal however, unlike running on pure Veg Oil which is legally more grey.
    I recently tried the kerosene mix with SVO (I get it for 20.95 for 20 litres) mixed with 20 litres of kerosene (have around 100 litres left over due to my central heating being converted to solid fuel) and in this case as it was an experiment and the night temperature were drop to freezing 10 litres of diesel just to be safe.

I think I would be happy to run it on 100% SVO if the weather stayed above 10 degrees with out any secondary pre-heater.

I read somewhere that there is around a 20 percent reduction in fuel economy ... for me I got 350 miles out of the fuel mix when I normally get around 500 miles with the same amount in pure diesel. Just something else to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I've been think about this for ages and once the cold weather is gone, i'll be starting to experiment with my 1998 Freelander. Its got 180k miles on the clock, so if it goes tits-up i wont mind too much.

The 98 Freelander is a Di, which does not make it ideal, but it has a Bosch Fuel pump so that is a help. I wont be putting in pre-heater or twin tanks etc, it will be the standard freelander engine.

I've done some research, but much more is needed, My plan so far is;
    The used oil will have to be heated first to remove any water, then cooled and filtered.
    The oil will be filtered at 25 microns before heating just to remove large crap. Once cooled it will be allowed to drip filter through a 5 micron filter and then possibly a 1or2 filter.
    Before i put any oil in, i'll change the fuel and oil filters, both will have to be checked regularly and i'll have to change the engine oil every 3k or so.
    At first i'll run a tank or two at 20% WVO 80% Diesel. Then raise the levels to 50%/50% if no problems.
    There are a number of additives that can be used and some even use 10% petrol to keep the viscosity of the oil. I'll probably have to mess around to get the right balance, but it looks promising. Many talk about 100% WVO, but i'll be starting at 20% and just hope for the best.

I can get as much used oil as i like from work and i dont do many miles per year, i'm really just doing it to see how easily it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

If you are really keen on it:

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

What engine, year and % mix?

EDIT: Mixed reports here on the JTD:
    http://www.fiatforum.com/multipla/109344-will-diesel-multipla-run-vegetable-oil.html

07 Grande Punto
    80% veg 20% diesel Summer 22C

That's good research, and it's appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,313 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The chippers get oil in 25L drums I believe. No way are they paying anything like 99c/L either. Anyway, best option IMO is the small package plant which uses old oil from chippers. It filters, heats, mixes with correct additive to get the right lubrication & viscosity characteristics & works away by itself in the shed producing your fuel.
    Car mechanics magazine did a good piece on this. I think the plants were maybe 2,000 euro or so. Oil costs would be tiny though if you were to pick up used oil. I think in uk it was working out around 30p/L ready for tank including additives etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You need to be careful what Lube oil you use when running veg oil, some lube oil reacts with veg oils and polymerizes. You end up with jelly instead of nice free flowing oil. This can have negative consequences for an engine.
    I think they recommend either fully synthetic or vegetable based lube oils when running SVO and WVO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

You get cheap SVO from your local farmer that produces it. I was driving my previous car on fuel I was buying from the farmer and I was mixing it with Diesel fuel or (with smaller proportions) with petrol or white spirit. My car could do on 70-80% SVO without any conversion, but I would do it only during warmer months. In the winter the proportions should be more towards less viscous fuels.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

I think thats the whole case about taxing a fuel, ONLY taxed fuel should be used while driving on public roads.
    I believe if the customs are really think you'll get for that and not bisquits ... Customs are NOT after blue diesel but after not taxed fuel !

MarkoC wrote: »
    I think thats the whole case about taxing a fuel, ONLY taxed fuel should be used while driving on public roads...
    That is one of the reasons I was buying SVO from a farmer.

Seweryn wrote: »
    That is one of the reasons I was buying SVO from a farmer.
    Is it excise taxed to use on public roads ?

Is it taxed to use on public roads ?
    Yes, it is.

Yes, it is.
    Can you explain please, how much you paid for it and who paid these taxes ? A farmer who didnt pay even VAT when sold you that stuff cheap ? :D
    Also can you point me out where it says its legal to use it on the public roads.

Cheers

Can you explain please, how much you paid for it and who paid these taxes ?

Cheers
    I don't remember exactly how much it was at the time (2007-2008), but something around 80-90 cents per litre.
    I paid the full price including taxes to the supplier, same way as you pay for your fuel in a filling station.

Also can you point me out where it says its legal to use it on the public roads.
    You get a receipt with the tax breakdown :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

You get a receipt with the tax breakdown :rolleyes:.
    By any chance you tell us more about that supplier ? :)

Cheers

Advertisement