Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peggy Keogh Passes Away

Options
  • 06-01-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Just wanted to let you know that Peggy Keogh has passed on this morning. Who is Peggy Keogh I hear you ask?

Peggy ran a shoe stall at the back of the Ilac Centre. It was noted because Peggy sold Doctor Martens Boots there. She was the only one of the stalls to do so. If you bought your Docs at the back of the Ilac then you bought them from Peggy's. Countless Dubliners got their first Docs from Peggy. Larry Mullen used to buy his Crepes from her. when you went around there for shoes you ended up staying for a chat! she was that type of lady.

So spare a thought today for a real Dublin Character who has passed on today.

If this is in the wrong area I'm sorry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Ah I remember her well and yes, I bought Docs from her more than once at the back of the Ilac :D RIP Peggy. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭penana

Never met the lady, but she sounds like a marvellous person.
    God rest her soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Bought my first Doc's from her too!.

I can still remember her voice, and the craic.

R.I.P. a legend passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 salvidor

Page on Facebook for your memories.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wear-Your-Docs-For-Peggy/184168638277334?v=info

She'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Yeah bought my first pair of Docs there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Our school shoes were bought from her every year growing up. She really was an institution. Sad to hear of her passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭meolwan

RIP Peggy. Bought many a pair of Doc's off her she also sold me my 1st pair of George Webbs. Always went to her 1st when looking for boots & shoes. Always had a laugh with her and all of the stall holders there.
    Miss all that now not the same in the Ilac centre anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Got my first pair of Docs from Peggy too, sorry to hear of her demise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 silvereyes

Really sad to hear that...I'm 35 and one of my earliest memories is of Peggy holding me while my dad tried on Doc boots...I could only have been about 2. I always bought my doc shoes (for school) from her and a pair of boots every few years until she left the Ilac...RIP Peggy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

RIP Peggy, Dublin loses a true legend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Ah now that lady brings back memories,I bought my first pair of 8 hole Docs there,I wasn't mad enough or tough enough for a 10 hole pair :pac:

I used to go in with my mam and we'd get a few euro off,I'm guess because my mam is from Chancery street so I wonder was Peggy from around there?

RIP Peggy!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

RIP.

Have put up a brief piece on the blog - http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2011/01/07/peggy-keogh-rip/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 salvidor

H
    Inbox wrote: »
    Ah now that lady brings back memories,I bought my first pair of 8 hole Docs there,I wasn't mad enough or tough enough for a 10 hole pair :pac:

I used to go in with my mam and we'd get a few euro off,I'm guess because my mam is from Chancery street so I wonder was Peggy from around there?

RIP Peggy!

She as born and reared on Moore street and later moved to the Cabra road, and lived out ter later life in Blackrock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Bought many a pair of shoes and boots (also a pair of suede crepe soles IIRC!) at that stall. Another part of Dublin gone forever. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I bought my first pair of docs from her in Nov 1989. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

bought my first, and many subsequent pairs of DMs from peggy over the years :(

R.I.P.

meolwan wrote: »
    my 1st pair of George Webbs.

Now there's a memory. :) A pair of Georgies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Whatever happened to george webbs?

I bought me first pair of doc's off her, didn't know who she was or anything just knew that was where all me mates had gotten their doc's from.

Those doc's took the bloody ankles offa me, wound up in casualty a few weeks later :pac:

Bambi wrote: »
    Whatever happened to george webbs?

Have no clue. Think I got mine in Simon Hart?! Haven't seen them since I was a kid. For anybody who doesn't know them, they were a lace-up shoe with a kind of cap toe that were really big amongst teenagers in the early 80s (and I assume before that) in Dublin.

I remember two lads - no more than 13 or 14 - having a digging match on my street once and the lad that was getting the worst of it ran off home "to put on his Georgies" which obviously would have instantly transformed him into a killing machine, :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

A lovely lady, I remember her well. R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I did some web digging on them a while back..they came from some small town in England. George Webbs were things of awe to us when we were 10 or 11. A boot from a George Webb with steel caps could be fatal according to lore

I got two pair of George Webbs off her two. A tan ankle boot (slip on) and black shoes, and boy could you get a shine on those bad boys!.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭meolwan

I got two pair of George Webbs off her two. A tan ankle boot (slip on) and black shoes, and boy could you get a shine on those bad boys!.

I was shown by a mates older brother how to melt the shoe polish so we could get a real shine on the George Webbs. You could see your face in them lol.

All of my mates bought our Docs & Shoes from Peggy and go down to Spiders Web to get the rest of the gear to go with them.

Ahhhhhhh the 70s what a great time no money but still had lots of fun and part of it was going into town from Coolock on a saturday to buy the gear & have the banter with peggy and the others ladies in those stalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Mahou

RIP God bless her, she was a great woman. The place to go for the Docs alright

meolwan wrote: »
    Ahhhhhhh the 70s what a great time no money but still had lots of fun and part of it was going into town from Coolock on a saturday to buy the gear & have the banter with peggy and the others ladies in those stalls.

You've just brought me back to Doc's, and Skinheads in The Classic barbers!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ah bless, may she rest in peace and may her family find consolation.

Bought my first Docs there, had to save up from my first summers job the parents utterly disproved of them and several pairs after that, she was a sound lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Being only a young lad I obviously never knew her. But by the responses I'm seeing in this thread it seems like a true personality and memorable person has passed. It's a shame that many of the true great traditional Dubs are fading away and few are replacing them.

RIP Peggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Jebus. Still have my 2nd pair of George Webbs from over half a lifetime ago which I might possibly have got off her. Dusty, a bit worn at the heel and in need of breaking in again, but otherwise fine. Got those from either her or Simon Harts. I defo got my first pair of GWs and about 3 Docs from her.

I remember always walking past all the other ladies there straight to her stall - last one on the right iirc.

RIP

george-webbs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

tricky D wrote: »
    Jebus. Still have my 2nd pair of George Webbs from over half a lifetime ago which I might possibly have got off her.

Same here ! Still wear them for weddings... and funerals...

They're like the shoe version of a VW Beetle. If you look after them they'll go forever :)

30540893.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Bought loads of footwear from her over the years and she would always give you a discount if you were buying two pairs or more.

Usually Black Leather Crepes (to go with the Y Cardigan, Stay Press Trousers and white socks :p).

umc01sumd10lx.jpg

Had a few mates who were cure heads and they would order some mad (almost knee high) Docs (in some strange and rare colours) but she would always get them.

We won't see her like again, that's for sure.

RIP.

Advertisement