Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera talk what do you use??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

V Bull wrote: »
    Saw this guy about 2 weeks ago.
    Hi V Bull. Super images! How did you take 'em? Digiscoping...or a camera? So clear. Where was it taken too? Cheers, and well done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

sables2 wrote: »
    Thanks V Bull. Great info. Your new to birding....(the image of that buzzard was a good start) :eek: ;)

Thanks, just got into it a couple years ago, always liked birds & animals & stuff. I still have big problems identifying alot of birds, particularly the smaller type and waders, all very enjoyable I might add.

The photo's were taken between Clonee & Dunboyne on the old road with a Canon 400D but had to crop & adjust.

I always keep the camera in the car when driving about, you never know what might jump out of the bushes........:P

V Bull wrote: »
    Thanks, just got into it a couple years ago, always liked birds & animals & stuff. I still have big problems identifying alot of birds, particularly the smaller type and waders, all very enjoyable I might add.

The photo's were taken between Clonee & Dunboyne on the old road with a Canon 400D but had to crop & adjust.

I always keep the camera in the car when driving about, you never know what might jump out of the bushes........:P
    Thanks for that ;). I'm not long into birding either. Very enjoyable i will add. I like you, find it almost impossible to I.D a lot of birds. I'm getting there. For instance, i will confuse a: tree sparrow from a house sparrow. My favourite birds are without a doubt raptors. They're graceful and powerful.
    PS: would your Canon 400D be better than a Canon EOS 450? I have the latter. I'm brutal when comes to camera's. What binocular/scope do you use too? I want a pair of Nikon 8x32 SE's :p Currently i use Zeiss Jena porro's 8x30...they're nice and fairly sharp. I have a Nikon ED 50 angled scope - lovely travel scope and i HIGHLY recommend one!! I'm a bit if a 'binoholic' :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭ender ender

Sables, is your EOS 450 a digital camera? As in a 450D? If so it's the replacement for the 400D, so slightly better (newer anyway, so probably with a few improvements).
    Saw my second buzzard today at Ballealy land fill near Lusk. Scanning the skies for buzzards has become my new favourite pastime...

Sables, is your EOS 450 a digital camera? As in a 450D? If so it's the replacement for the 400D, so slightly better (newer anyway, so probably with a few improvements).
    Saw my second buzzard today at Ballealy land fill near Lusk. Scanning the skies for buzzards has become my new favourite pastime...
    Hi ender ender. Thanks for that info on camera! Mine IS the EOS 450 D. Truly a lovely camera and extremely sharp end to end!! love it. Just wish i know more about it. Like can i get zoom in lens..like a scope. I want to look at raptors without disturbing them, etc.
    PS: A lot of boys on here tell me off/on the M50 is best for looking for buzzards and kites, etc. Is that the case in your opinion?

• Advertisement

Sables, I don't use Canon cameras so I wouldn't be the best person to advise you, but possibly something like a 70-200mm or 70-300mm focal length lens could be good. Most modern Canon lenses should fit a 450D.

I'd imagine a lens with a longer focal length than 300mm would be ideal for wildlife photography because it'll give you greater magnification, but anything above this size and you're talking silly money! But you can get extension tubes that can boost magnification too, and they're fairly inexpensive.

Maybe someone else here could give you better advice, I'm not a wildlife photographer, I prefer subjects that don't move around so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I've got a Sigma 50-500 with my 300D. It's very heavy but quite effective. Doesn't let much light in though so ineffective in low light situations.
    Also have a 1.4 iirc extension which is good but lets a lot less light in again.

Sables, I don't use Canon cameras so I wouldn't be the best person to advise you, but possibly something like a 70-200mm or 70-300mm focal length lens could be good. Most modern Canon lenses should fit a 450D.

I'd imagine a lens with a longer focal length than 300mm would be ideal for wildlife photography because it'll give you greater magnification, but anything above this size and you're talking silly money! But you can get extension tubes that can boost magnification too, and they're fairly inexpensive.

Maybe someone else here could give you better advice, I'm not a wildlife photographer, I prefer subjects that don't move around so much!
    Thanks for that Ender. I only want something reasonable...will look into it. Some others here might have some sufficient camera lens knowledge. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Thanks for that Ender. I only want something reasonable...will look into it. Some others here might have some sufficient camera lens knowledge. ;)

I have a 300mm lense too. Its the best value for a decent picture. Anything more than 300mm costs 500euro plus.

i took this buzzard pic with my Tamron 300m lense to give you an idea of what i can do. Cost 160euro for it.

4322532867_5a16e508e9_z.jpg

I have a 300mm lense too. Its the best value for a decent picture. Anything more than 300mm costs 500euro plus.

i took this buzzard pic with my Tamron 300m lense to give you an idea of what i can do. Cost 160euro for it.
    Hi snowstreams,
    That's a truly beautiful image of the buzzard. SO clear and crisp. I have a Canon EOS 450d with a ES-F 18mm/55mm:(with camera) lens...(i'm not a camera buff) can i get one of these Tamron lens at this price: €160 and fix to my EOS, and would it attach on? Are they worth the the money if i got one too? Thanks a lot wink.gif

• Advertisement

Hi snowstreams,
    That's a truly beautiful image of the buzzard. SO clear and crisp. I have a Canon EOS 450d with a ES-F 18mm/55mm:(with camera) lens...(i'm not a camera buff) can i get one of these Tamron lens at this price: €160 and fix to my EOS, and would it attach on? Are they worth the the money if i got one too? Thanks a lot wink.gif

Im not that sure of how it would work with a canon camera because canons work best when the lense has image stability built into the lense. I have a sony camera so the stability control is built into the camera instead. I your using a tripod then you wont need any image stabilty, but i prefer to be quick and take the shot freehand, so stability is important then.

Here is a link to a canon compatible tamron 300mm lense without image stability.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamron-AF-70-300mm-F4-5-6-Macro/dp/B000HDZAUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291926222&sr=8-1

Any 70-300mm lense would be good for taking images of buzzards and other birds of prey. And you may be able to get some lenses with Image stability built in too.
    This is a link to some other raptor photos i took with this lense. http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowstreams/sets/72157622509712652/
    No matter what lense you get though, you will still have to be able to get up reasonably close for a good shot!

I didn't think a 2-300mm lens would be much use but the photos on here prove otherwise - great work. Sables you could always have a look in Gunn's on Wexford Street too, I don't think they do Tamron or Sigma but they give great advice without trying to sell you stuff you don't need. They were a great help to me when I started in photography and didn't know much (still don't!).
    Be careful though, photography can very quickly start sucking all your money out of the bank...

I didn't think a 2-300mm lens would be much use but the photos on here prove otherwise - great work. Sables you could always have a look in Gunn's on Wexford Street too, I don't think they do Tamron or Sigma but they give great advice without trying to sell you stuff you don't need. They were a great help to me when I started in photography and didn't know much (still don't!).
    Be careful though, photography can very quickly start sucking all your money out of the bank...

Ive rented out a 400mm lense before for a weekend. It was a lot better for getting birds in flight. But cost over 500 euro to buy if i remember correctly. Thats the main reason i recommend a 300mm lense, you can learn alot using it without having to spend too much money.
    Thats a good idea about going to a decent camera shop, they will know whats a good lense for wildlife photography alright. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I find the 70-300 (sigma) great for things that aren't that far away ie I can get decent close ups of birds in the garden, at the feeders etc.
    Other than that there'll be some serious cropping required and at full zoom the quality won't be good anyway unless it's on a tripod which I wouldn't normally carry around. I have a little mini table tripod which doesn't really hold the full weight of the camera but it does help if I can manage to get it wedged on a wall or something. Occasionally with birds flying i'll just get lucky!

Does anyone have any tips for the best settings for birds that are moving? I know a little bit about aperture etc but when on the spot it takes too long to figure out and I just stick it on auto :o (Canon 450D).

I'd love to get a 50-500 and was browsing around to look at prices but at €1500 for the sigma :eek: that aint gonna happen anytime soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

ye could always venture over to the photogaphy forum on boards and have a root around and ask some q's over there

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

littlebug wrote: »
    I find the 70-300 (sigma) great for things that aren't that far away ie I can get decent close ups of birds in the garden, at the feeders etc.
    Other than that there'll be some serious cropping required and at full zoom the quality won't be good anyway unless it's on a tripod which I wouldn't normally carry around. I have a little mini table tripod which doesn't really hold the full weight of the camera but it does help if I can manage to get it wedged on a wall or something. Occasionally with birds flying i'll just get lucky!

Does anyone have any tips for the best settings for birds that are moving? I know a little bit about aperture etc but when on the spot it takes too long to figure out and I just stick it on auto :o (Canon 450D).

I'd love to get a 50-500 and was browsing around to look at prices but at €1500 for the sigma :eek: that aint gonna happen anytime soon!

I had the 450D and used to use it with the canon 400 5.6 lens its a great lens and would recommend it to anyone thinking of taking wildlife shots (it was know and the canon birding lens), has a great focal range and is lighter than most of the other canon L lens useful for following a bird in flight.
    the only lacking feature is image stabilisation but just use a high enough shutter speed if you can and this won’t be a problem. costs around 1000 :eek: so its not cheap.

i used to use the Sigma 70-300 lens also very good and great for walking about but didn’t have the reach or sharpness of the 400 and the autofocus is considerably slower. but for its price its a bargain, i think the newer model has OS (sigma's image stabilisation also).

tips for moving birds
    -Use a fast shutter speed 1/1000 or more if you can although you can take good shots at lower. remember that the brightness of the sky may fool the cameras sensor so you’ll get a really dark bird against a bright sky , you need to exposure compensate for this. Focus points are important too if the background is clear you can happily use all/most the focus points if there are trees and such in the background you may be better using just one of your focus points.Canon's AI servo focus tracking works good not sure what it’s called on other makes but they all have something similar.

Hi ender,
    I'll look into Gunn's Wexford Street and see what they have or say. I'm brutal when it comes to cameras 300mm and focal lens,etc boggles me :rolleyes:. I REALLY appreciate your help though. I'd LOVE to get a images like the guys here have snapped with convicton and a lot of patients no doubt! Much easier said than done...for sure.

No worries Sables, Gunn's are probably the best shop in town for advice, particularly if you're not too sure what you're after.
    Oh god, all this talk of 300mm lenses has put the idea of getting one in my head now. I'll have to add it to the list behind the studio lights, new computer and 24-70mm lense (€1200!)!

Hope to see some nice images from you soon... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭BrianD3

My opinion on this is that good results can be achieved with a fixed lens camera with a big optical zoom. I have a Fuji S8000 with 18x zoom lens and in favourable light I think the results approach that of me using a DSLR. I do not claim to be anything like an expert and I'm going to leave myself open to ridicule by posting a photo taken using the Fuji. My next camera will probably be the Canon SX30 IS with a whopping 35x zoom (24 to 840 mm)

139048.jpg

No worries Sables, Gunn's are probably the best shop in town for advice, particularly if you're not too sure what you're after.
    Oh god, all this talk of 300mm lenses has put the idea of getting one in my head now. I'll have to add it to the list behind the studio lights, new computer and 24-70mm lense (€1200!)!

Hope to see some nice images from you soon... :)
    Hi ender again,
    Listen that's the best advice...going to the shop in person. Nice one ;). I have you going now, so you are 'gagging' to get a new one yourself. Do, and i prefer to see YOUR images than mine...if i get one :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote: »
    My opinion on this is that good results can be achieved with a fixed lens camera with a big optical zoom. I have a Fuji S8000 with 18x zoom lens and in favourable light I think the results approach that of me using a DSLR. I do not claim to be anything like an expert and I'm going to leave myself open to ridicule by posting a photo taken using the Fuji. My next camera will probably be the Canon SX30 IS with a whopping 35x zoom (24 to 840 mm)

139048.jpg
    Hi Brian. That's a TRULY stunning image...and you claim: " not to be an expert"...:eek:. This image should be on BWI (Bird Watch Ireland site) in my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Hi BrianD3 you can get excellent results with point and shoot & bridge cameras i used to shoot with an Fuji S7000 although there are a number of advantages with DSLR's which means ill never be going back. The shutter lag used to be one of the most annoying limitations but non dslr cameras are getting closer all the time and there is no reason why you cant get some stunning images from these.

I've only got one half decent image ever - and I only got it because the robin was about 2 feet from me :)

That's a great image BrianD3, as Trizo says P+S and bridge cameras can produce great results. I mean, 840mm focal length? A Canon 800mm lense costs about 8 grand and weighs 4.5kg!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Thanks for the kind words lads :) The sparrow image was taken at full zoom (486 mm equivalent on the Fuji F8000) and as you can see from the sky it was a bright summer's day.

The Canon camera I mentioned with the 840 mm lens is this one, check out the pics of Alcatraz prison at full telephoto :eek: :)
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_sx30-review/look-and-feel

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Hi folks I'm curious as to what equipment people here use to take some of the great photographs posted here...

Some of you probably have the pricy DSLR's, or others

Please share what you use and the pros cons etc... if you can post a link to your type of camera, please do.

I use...
    Up to recently I was using Fujifilm FinePix 2800, I loved this camera and I have it for years but I found I needed more zoom to capture birds or anything in the distance. Fuji don't do rechargeable batteries and this camera was heavy on batteries, so it was expensive to run.
    http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FinePix-2800-Digital-Zoom/dp/B00005QI59

Recently I bought a fujifilm hs20exr, I am still getting the feel of it but so far I am really happy with it, Huge x30 zoom. fuji still using regular batteries but this camera is not heavy on them, it has a manual zoom and the flash can be turned on or off . http://www.safari-guide.co.uk/fujifilm-finepix-hs20exr-digital-camera-review.php

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

I dont have a digital SLR but hope to have one soon but ...

my point and shoot compact Canon 900Ti is excellent especially for macro/close up shots
    http://www.marksgardenplants.com/dactylorhizas.htm

I have a Canon 450D which I'm not altogether happy with considering how much it cost. It has has a tendency to overexpose which means having to mess with it and pics a bit too much for my liking.
    I have a sigma 70-300mm lens which is a pretty good zoom....but not quite good enough. I think I "need"* :pac: a stronger zoom.

I also find it's not great for macro and have trouble focusing on the small stuff so I also "need"* a macro lens.

* I can also dream on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

LB we picked up a canon 450D (?) in US with all the different lens for really cheap money. Now as you will see I have still not learned to drive said camera:rolleyes: but if you are looking for lens etc for it we found them miles cheaper over there.

ppink wrote: »
    LB we picked up a canon 450D (?) in US with all the different lens for really cheap money. Now as you will see I have still not learned to drive said camera:rolleyes: but if you are looking for lens etc for it we found them miles cheaper over there.

What lens(es?:confused:) do you have ppink?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I have a 28-135, 75-300 and a little wide angle lens with macro.

these all came with the camera.....and a tripod and other bits and pieces. we did see that you could order lenses separately.

we got everything on ebay and had them shipped to my sister in the US before we were due to go out there on holiday.
    I would like to get a bigger zoom also, the 300 is great but then you just want to be closer and closer:)

Advertisement