Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Random Recipe Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

False Apricot Jam
    carrot+jam.jpg
    INGREDIENTS.

900 gm Carrots, sliced
    100 gm Cooking apple, grated
    900 gm Sugar
    Zest of one lemon
    Juice of two lemons
    5 Tsp ground Almond
    1 Tsp Tumeric (for added colour)
    OPTIONAL
    1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
    Seeds of 5 Cardamom pods, crushed
    You can of course add the flavours you like as well, things like star anise, ginger, cinnamon or nutmeg are recommended.

METHOD
    Put sliced carrots into a pot with boiling water, around 300 ml to ensure they don't burn.
    With a grater, remove the zest from one lemon and squeeze out the juice.
    Squeeze the second lemon.
    Peel and grate the apple.
    Mix the ground almond, grated apple, lemon zest, cardamon pods and lemon juice.
    When the carrots are softened a bit after about 10 minutes add the apple/almond/lemon mix and tumeric to the syrup and stir through.
    Keep stirring until the apple has broken down.

At this point there should be enough liquid to cover the bottom third of the ingredients.
    Add the sugar and dissolve. Keep stirring until carrots are soft.

After about 10 minutes its time to blend the mix. This is where we have a real advantage over the Victorians as the carrots can be blended down to almost a puree, giving a real apricot jam imitation.

This is a little different from normal jam making. This is because the carrots float.
    Strain off the ingredients, retaining the liquid syrup.
    Return the syrup to the cooking pot and keep on low temperature.

Add the solids to the blender and give it about 3 minutes until finely blended.
    At this point I added the 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract

Return the blended solids to the pot and reduce over a low heat, remember to stir frequently to stop anything burning.

Do the cold plate test as normal for jams and prepare to jar up in hot sterilised jars as per the preserves made easy posting. Fill the jars to just below the threads and waterbath to seal.

CARROT MARMALADE
    marmalade4.jpg
    INGREDIENTS
    900 gm red carrot (I used Lisse de Mieux)
    100 gm tart apple
    Zest and Juice of two Oranges
    Zest and juice of one Lemon (try a couple of lime if you like)
    200 ml water
    500 gm white sugar
    400 gm Demerera Sugar.

METHOD
    Grate the carrots and apple.
    The grating is done for texture and appearance
    Zest and juice oranges and lemon
    Mix orange/carrot/juice mix well, put into a large heavy bottomed pot and soften the carrot.
    When the carrot is softened, take about 1/3rd of the grated carrot and put through food blender/processor.
    Return processed carrot to pot and add all sugar.
    Cook until reduced to setpoint.

Do the cold plate test as normal for jams and prepare to jar up in hot sterilised jars as per the preserves made easy posting. Fill the jars to just below the threads and waterbath to seal.

Yields 3.5 regular jam jars, tastes delicious.

leb+title.jpg
    This recipe is based on Lebanese cuisine so the combination of herbs and spices which make this casserole spicy but not hot.
    To make it hot, add 1/2 tsp of Harissa paste or some chili's.

It's a great way to prepare the cheaper, tougher but more flavoursome cuts of lamb like shoulder.
    Its a deliciously warming, spicy one-pot dish that's easy to prepare - great winter food.

You can use stock cubes, but I don't see the point in this when you are trimming the chops anyway, and the home made stock can be used for more than one meal, so as a gardener and cook you get great value for money and delicious winter soups.

For more details on the stock, just check out my garden blog - link in signature.
    leb+ingredients.jpg
    INGREDIENTS
    400g lamb shoulder chops, boned and trimmed
    - the bones and trimmings are retained.
    2 tbsp plain flour
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 large onion, sliced
    1 leek, sliced
    2 tsp ground coriander
    ¼ tsp turmeric
    ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
    ¼ tbsp oregano,
    400g skinned, de-seeded chopped tomatoes
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    500ml home made lamb stock
    Salt
    black pepper

FOR THE CASSEROLE
    Toss the lamb in a mix flour and spices (ground coriander, turmeric and cayenne) just like with the Hungarian style liver on the blog

Fry the lamb gently for 2-3 minutes or until brown.

Add the garlic, onion, oregano and leek
    Cook for about 5 minutes, or until soft.
    Place in the casserole dish.
    Add remaining ingredients.
    Season with salt and pepper.

Cover and place in a preheated oven 170°C for 2 hours or until tender.
    Or, alternatively, cook very gently on the hob in a heavy based pot on the lowest heat for 2 hours or until tender.

As an oven dish, it can be served with baked potato's to save on energy,
    but I really like it with rice or cous cous.

gougere2.jpg

Gougere is a specialty of the Burgundy region. Traditionally, gougere's are made with gruyere, the well known swiss cheese with the holes - but other cheeses are sometimes used.

There are more pictures and tips at my Garden Blog as always, link in signature.

With the great government cheese giveaway, I felt I had to offer a recipe that included fromage in the food!!! Who knows, with the way things are headed I may be doing recipes based on food stamps soon

With this recipe, as always, I have incorporated Irish flavours and aspects to it like cheddar, and in this case the use of buttermilk does add a lot to the final dish.

The main flavours to the filling of this dish are lemon and French tarragon.

I grew tarragon in the garden herb patch, and it is an underused herb in Ireland.

French tarragon is grown from root divisions, just like horseradish- whereas Russian tarragon is apparently grown from seed

Tarragon is easy to grow in any sunny spot well drained spot.
    It can be grown with other plants in a flower bed or border,
    given a little room to itself as it is not a great competitor.

This recipe is a real recession buster - a great way to use up left over chicken, and makes a change from the usual chicken and leek or mushroom pie.
    Its what I call 2nd or 3rd phase chicken, first you have the roast, then you strip the carcass for this or a pie - then you have the carcass for stock and soup. With Christmas coming, I think it is also a way of using up turkey next month.

Its a lovely winter oven dish, and with the oven on the go you may
    as well take advantage of that to roast or bake veg to accompany
    the meal and save on energy costs.

I tend to use Cuinneog butter and buttermilk from Mayo - better flavour than regular mass produced stuff.

INGREDIENTS
    For the Choux Pastry:
    300ml - ½ Pint buttermilk
    (traditionally the French use water, but the buttermilk makes it a richer pastry)
    175 gm - 6 oz plain flour
    100 gm - 4 oz butter or margarine
    50 gm - 2 oz Finely grated cheese
    (I used cheddar, but gruyere is the traditional type)
    4 eggs, lightly beaten
    Pinch of salt.

For the filling:
    225 gm cooked chicken, diced
    3 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 tablespoons fresh Tarragon (or 2 tsp dried)
    1 tsp mustard - or ½ tsp mustard powder
    1 pint white sauce* - easy to make yourself yourself

1 tsp paprika to garnish

METHOD

CHOUX PASTRY
    Place the buttermilk in a pan with the butter and
    heat gently until the butter melts,.
    Bring to the boil.

Remove from the heat, add the flour and salt.

Beat in the flour quickly to produce a smooth paste which comes away from the sides of the pan to form a smooth ball. Set aside to cool slightly.

Personally, I remove it from the pot to the blender and then use the pot to make the filling - saves on washing up.

The following can be done by hand, but I just use a blender on slow speed.
    Gradually beat in the eggs to give a smooth glossy finish.
    Fold in the grated cheese.

This mixture is spooned or piped around the side of a greased ovenproof dish, an oval dish is easiest.

FILLING
    Make up the white sauce*
    Add tarragon, mustard, lemon and chicken, stir in
    Simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes
    (while piping/spooning in pastry to dish)
    Pour into the centre of the dish.
    Bake in the oven for 40 minutes
    Sprinkle dish with paprika - serve hot.

The Gougere is shown here served with baked garden veg, Very simple and energy saving recipe.
    I just sliced some parsnip and carrot - roughly chopped an onion, two cloves of garlic crushed and herbs (root parsley, thyme, fair whack of salt and some pepper)
    Chuck them in a shallow oven dish with some olive oil, cover
    with tinfoil and put into the oven when you start to preheat it for the gougere, the cooking time for the entire meal takes about 50 minutes that way.

*White Sauce
    Ingredients to make white sauce

50 gm/2 oz butter or margarine
    50 gm/2 oz plain flour
    600ml/1 pint fresh milk

Melt butter on a low heat in a pan
    Add flour and blend in with butter
    Add milk, whisk.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    ...gruyere, the well known swiss cheese with the holes...

Nice recipe. :)

But just thought that I'd mention that while Gruyère is a Swiss cheese - it doesn't have holes. ;)

Bugger, your right - got it confused with Emmenthal I think

Speaking of holey chhese, the Government should have given the free stuff to religious sects for distribution - with our accent, they can go round to peoples houses on Sunday

Knock knock
    "Do you like jesus"
    "No, never liked that sort of stuff"
    "What - you dont like the holy jesus"
    "Nope, never even liked the swiss, the Nazi sympatising bastards"
    "But holy jesus is Jewish?"
    "Holey Cheeses??"
    "Yeah, like the baby jesus"
    "But I hate babybel!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

34rda91.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Zuiderzee - What am I looking at in the picture? I can't make out the gougere part of the dish. My idea of what a gougere looks like is something like this...

gougerie_lg.jpg

Or this, if you join a load together...

gougere.jpg

Apparently French Gruyere has holes.....Burgundy recipe with holey cheese = french gruyere cheese

Its the dark, crusty bit under the chicken sauce, my presentation is not the best - food styling is not my strong point - I piped it in around the edge of the dish

A simple, easy dish and a real pound stretcher.
    Same chicken provided a roast, a Gougere, a soup and this risotto.
    I used home made chicken stock, but a veggie stock can be used for a vegitarian version.

pristit4.jpg

I use parsley, but a lot of people use rosmary in this type of dish.

FOR THE PARSNIP RISOTTO
    A generous slice of butter
    1 onion, peeled and chopped
    150 g parsnip, diced
    900ml chicken or vegetable stock
    200g arborio or other risotto rice rice
    150ml of white wine (optional)
    1 sprig of fresh parsley, finely chopped - I used my Akita root parsley leaves
    A handful of freshly grated Parmesan, plus more to serve
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

As an extra option you can use a good balsamic vinegar to drizzle.

I served it with a poached egg, adding paprika dusting for a splash of colour.
    Also, Boxty to add texture and colour

More thoughts, pics, tips, links etc as always at the garden blog - link in sig

This is a great way to use up small veg.
    Served with Bacon and cabbage covered on the blog

bcfondantplate.jpg

My turnips were grown in too much shade, so never really got up
    to a full size, something that will be rectified next year
    with the chopping of a few trees.

The flavour is rich and buttery. As always, I used cuinneog butter
    - mostly for the flavour but also to support a small Irish company
    and reduce food miles.
    You can, of course, do only potato's or other root veg,
    I just decided to do a mix.

INGREDIENTS
    2 small turnip
    2 small suede
    2 small beetroot
    2 small potato (I used kerr pink's)
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    160 gm Cuinneog butter
    80 ml chicken stock
    1/2 tsp Rosemary
    1/2 tsp Thyme

Peel the veg. You can reserve the turnip, beetroot and swede leaves
    for greens.
    Then cut the veg in slices to about 2 cm thick.
    The veg has to have a flat top and bottom, like a flat barrel shape
    Real chiefs at this stage use cookie cutters to give an even, all round shape. I just trimmed with a peeler around the sides, the important part is to bevel the edges to prevent burning.

Melt 160 grams of butter in a heavy bottomed pot on a medium heat.

When this was bubbling I started to add the veg.

I used beets, turnip, swede and potato.
    All of these cook at different speeds so I staggered the cooking
    - i.e. only after the beets got their first turn did the turnip and swede go in, and only after they were turned did the potato go in.

The vegetables in total took about 12 minutes to start going a golden brown.

At this stage add two crushed cloves of garlic and the herbs.

After about 3 minutes stirring in the garlic and herbs add 80ml of chicken stock.

A word of warning - it will start to spit and bubble.

Allow the veg to simmer for 30 minutes or until tender and the stock is absorbed.

This meal is so simple, and apart from the meat, flour, milk and butter there is really very little that anyone with even a small garden needs to buy, reducing costs and food miles.
    I write these recipes for my own amusement mostly, but every time I do a meal, I try to minimise on cost, basing recipes on what might be on offer at Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes and other stores.

A lot of recipes use food that people throw away that is perfectly good - i.e. chicken bones and veg offcuts for stock or the turnip leaves that are used in this recipe - and what might be wasted from this one like the bacon and greens cooking water that can be used in a future dish.

I hope this and other recipes might inspire readers to take Irish food and look at it in a different, more adventurous way and see how a few quid can be stretched.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Please don't pimp you're blog in your posts. The link in your signature should be enough.

I wanted to add colour to a meal of gammon steak and Spanish omelette - one of the few veg left in the garden now are beetroot.
    I sprinkled the chips with some Spanish sherry vinegar, gives a lovely tang to the sweetness of the beetroot.
    beetroot+chips.jpg
    BEETROOT CHIPS
    Cut chips to equal width.
    Heat oil to 130C and fry the chips for 8-10 mins or until soft.
    Drain and leave to cool .
    beetroot+chips+3.jpg

Heat oil to 180C and fry the chips until crispy.
    Drain, pat dry and serve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Looks great, I did a variation with cucumbers, certainly a great way to make bland cucumbers taste good.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You can make cucumber chips? I would have thought that they had too much water.

How thin should they be sliced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Wow thats sounds nice.
    I am always looking for new novel ideas to amaze my friends at dinner parties. I suppose you can't use the pickled ones. Do you need to use fresh ones?
    I think I have seen them vac-packed in lidl. I will give it a go next week.
    Thanks.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    You can make cucumber chips? I would have thought that they had too much water.

How thin should they be sliced?

Not too thin, peel the green skin from the cucumber, then slice into decent size chips, season with salt of pepper then dip in flour and quick deep fry. If you want real crispy you can try french fry size.

You have to be very inventive when you grow your old veg or you soon get fed up after a few weeks eating the same dishes. Anyone got a good recipe for 200 chillies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Anyone got a good recipe for 200 chillies?

I've made this without the sweet red pepper (so 300g chillies) and it's fine - all depends on how hot your chillies are.

Nigella's Chilli Jam
    150g long fresh red chillies, each deseeded and cut into about 4 pieces.

150g red peppers, cored, deseeded and cut into rough chunks

1kg jam sugar

600ml cider vinegar

6 x 250ml sealable jars, with vinegar-proof lid, such as Kilner jar or re-usable pickle jar

Sterilize your jars and leave to cool. Put the cut-up chillies into a food processor and pulse until they are finely chopped. Add the chunks of red pepper and pulse again until you have a vibrantly red-flecked processor bowl. Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar in a wide, medium-sized pan over a low heat without stirring. Scrape the chilli-pepper mixture out of the bowl and add to the pan. Bring the pan to the boil, then leave it at a rollicking boil for 10 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and allow it cool. The liquid will become more syrupy, then from syrup to viscous and from viscous to jelly-like as it cools. After about 40 minutes, or once the red flecks are more or less evenly dispersed in the jelly (as the liquid firms up, the hints of chilli and pepper start being suspended in it rather than floating on it), ladle into your jars. If you want to stir gently at this stage, it will do no harm. Then seal tightly. Serves: Makes approx. 1.5. Litre

Wow thats sounds nice.
    I am always looking for new novel ideas to amaze my friends at dinner parties. I suppose you can't use the pickled ones. Do you need to use fresh ones?
    I think I have seen them vac-packed in lidl. I will give it a go next week.
    Thanks.

I'd go for the fresh lidl ones provided they are not pre-boiled (that was the norm in Holland when I was living there)
    All recipes I put here or on the blog incorporate mostly what I can grow in the kitchen garden or forage.

Sad thing is though that the veg patch is almost empty, so its super markets until Feb at the earliest for fresh veg other than parsnip, beets, cabbage and a few root crops.
    One thing I am looking forward to is the Oca, that gets dug up later today:D

Other than that its all turning up the soil and cleaning the pathways, laying new pine needles and ash in the never ending war against slugs.

The deep fried cucumber sounds really interesting, grew gherkins this year so may give cucumbers a go, but the climate here in Connemara makes things like that quite chalenging - especially as there are a few trees that will need to be cut down to get more sunlight into the veg patch.

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    The deep fried cucumber sounds really interesting, grew gherkins this year so may give cucumbers a go, but the climate here in Connemara makes things like that quite chalenging - especially as there are a few trees that will need to be cut down to get more sunlight into the veg patch.

Unless you have a good polly tunnel or greenhouse it can be hard to grow cucumbers otherwise try growing courgettes which just need a good bed of FYM, you can deep fry as fritters and the flower isnt bad deep fried either. Regular harvesting make it more a worthwhile veg for limited space gardens and you can allow one or two plants to grow on fruit to develop marrows which store well. I still have a good quanity of home grown Butternut squash left which grows the same way. How would you prepare Oca?

Well Corsendonk, I dont think I can afford a pollytunnel - and I dont know if I really want one, winds up here being a major factor.

I did some cougette outdoors this year alright, did quite well despite the fact that I went away for a while and it was heavily shaded by squash - a heritage variety from realseeds.co.uk called White Volunteer.

Kept a few seeds from it if you want to swap for a few butternut squash ones.
    I missed that veg for Moroccan food this year - having moved back from Holland I find the lack of variety and of available spices etc. a bit frustrating, hence the growing of things like Japanese mustard greens, acocha, root parsely etc. - but I have managed to save a lot of seed for next season.

Funny you should mention the flowers as food, been considering doing that for spring salads, if I'm still in the country that is - be good for the bees as well.

As for the Oca, still looking at recipes on the net, but I have a few ideas from New Zealand, or a variation on a 7 minute supper the Hairy Bikers did.

I'll probably write it up for the blog and here Monday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Nice one Brian, I find that before pickling beetroot that roasting gives them a better texture than boiling.
    To try to save on energy bills, generally I pick the beets from the garden before cooking a joint of meat and chuck them in the bottom of the oven at the same time

Yeap I tried the roasted beetroot myself this year, better results than boiling with lovely soft sweet flesh. Just gently scrub the flesh and leave the main tap root intact or you will have a bleeder.

The leaves of fresh beetroot earlier in the year are great in a salad. Brian you might be able to pick up some fresh beetroot locally but I wouldn't use the vac pack beetroot that G's seem to make for everyone.

The butternut squash seeds I actually got the cheap way, I bought a supermarket butternut squash, deseeded the squash and separated the seed, selecting the largest seeds. Then placed the seed in an envelope and left in the hot press 1-2 weeks to gentle dry.

oca+plate+3.jpg

I saw that Lidl have a good offer on Scallop at 12 for €5 at the moment - well worth checking out for Christmas.

Scallop is one of my favorite seafood's, it requires very little in the way of dressing up - its perfect as it is.

This recipe is kind of inspired by one of the Hairy Bikers Cook Off programs on BBC, one of their 7 minute supper challenges was made using scallops.

I'd normally serve scallop in its shell with a bacon and cheese type sauce - but they put it together a little differently than I would have - with potato, so I decided to use Oca I grew this year in this dish and serve with beetroot and spinach.

I'm used Oca in this meal, but diced potato would work - and to be a little more exotic maybe sweet potato which I think in Irish cities would be easier to find than Oca.

Simple Scallops
    I had some bacon in the fridge - you could also use streaky bacon.
    I cut off the piece with the most fat.

Slice the bacon thinly. Use one piece of bacon for each scallop.
    Fry the bacon in butter and olive oil at a high temperature until crispy, rendering out the fat.

After about 6 minutes of cooking, the bacon was taken out of the pan, put in an oven proof dish and chucked in the oven to stay warm.
    Reduce the heat under the pan to medium.

Then the Scallop is added to the pan, using the rendered bacon lard to cook it.

This takes about 5 minutes - so the top and bottom of the scallop is dark brown, caramelised - but be very careful not to burn them.
    I always cook them with the tounge, not only does it add to the flavour - it also helps to colour the jus.

After they are cooked, put them in the oven with the bacon to keep warm.

Drain the pan over the scallop and bacon.

NB: At this point put the serving plates in the oven.

When the greens (I used spinach for this meal - more detail in the blog) are done, return the scallop, bacon and liquid to the pan for about a minute, then remove the bacon and scallop retaining any fat and liquid in the pan-move to the warm serving plate.

Pour some white wine - about a third of a glass - into the pan to de-glaze, then add three tablespoons of cream, mix through and allow to reduce.

While that is reducing, get the veg fondant or whatever other veg you are serving onto the plate.

The sauce should be reduced slightly, spoon it over the scallops and bacon - be generous.

If I had parmesan cheese, I would have added a few shavings on top of the scallop for taste and presentation, but scallop really does not need much in the way of flavouring.

The Scallop was served with roasted Oca, beetroot potato fondant and sauteed spinach with a side salad of winter cos and a dressing made to compliment the oca.

As a wine, I used a Kiwi Cuvee Sauvignon Blanc, available at Super Value. Although the name suggests it comes from New Zealand, its actually made in France.
    I think as this is a European dish, influenced by my time in New Zealand it is an apt choice, and it does go very well with the meal.

Lidl are currently doing an offer on Langoustine - or whole Scottish scampi as they are labelled - at €9.99
    We know them better as Dublin Bay prawns.
    pael5serv.jpg
    This dish is very easy to adapt for other combinations. It really is a great, colourful dish at this time of year.

1 tbsp olive oil
    2 rabbit saddles, boned and cut into pieces (or chicken)
    Dublin bay prawns, shell and head on
    Cup of frozen, tailed prawns (also available from lidl)
    3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
    1 can chopped tomato's
    2 Onions
    Bell peppers
    200g/7oz paella rice, you can also use risotto rice.
    Tsp Paprika
    Tsp Oregano
    a pinch of saffron or turmeric
    1 litre/1¾ pints rabbit stock, made with rabbit bones boiling

Fry the rabbit, onion, garlic, herbs and spices.
    Add the rice, making sure the grains are coated.
    Transfer to a casserole dish.
    Add the prawns, tomato's and peppers and mix gently.

Add the stock - bring it up to the top of the rice.
    Cover and put in a pre-heated oven - 180 deg C for 30 minutes - or until liquid absorbed.
    Ideally, if you have a big enough frying pan you can leave it cook on the hob if covered, but I don't so I had to adapt the cooking method.

Serve hot, its great fun to eat - breaking open the Dublin bay prawns.
    Keep the heads, don't discard them as they make the basis of a lovely bisque.

This recipe is great for rabbit and also great with chicken wings as fingerfood as well.
    buttermilkrabbit3.jpg
    I believe healthier choice than the usual preservative sugar salt packed off the shelf mix that people normally use - and certainly waaaay better than chicken nuggets

Its another dish from the southern states in the US - great with collard greens and a little home made blackberry chutney.

This meal also compliments home-made soda bread very well, and you normally use buttermilk for that - so its a great way to use up buttermilk.

It works well with chicken, but is particularly good with rabbit as it stops the game drying out. Perfectly tender, well flavored, crunchy - just what one wants in fried rabbit or chicken.

With the crunchy, fun texture it is an easy way to introduce more squeamish kids to rabbit.

INGREDIENTS

SOAKING
    350 ml - about 2 cups - of cuinneog buttermilk
    1 large onion, sliced
    1/4 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs (parsley, tarragon, thyme) or a teaspoon each of the dried herbs.
    Clove garlic, minced or grated
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

I really like to add a 1/4 cup coriander or cilantro in this recipe as well - but only if fresh.

Recently I found an absolutely brilliant fruit and veg shop in the Eyre Square shopping centre called Mister Beans
    It's run by a very helpful, nice guy. Great range of products, especially the harder to find herbs and veg - with a far better range than the nearby supermarkets.

Its well worth a visit - probably the closest thing Galway has to what you can find in Corks English Market, and I always try to support the smaller outlets against the retail giants.

COATING
    2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    Salt and pepper

As a highly recommended optional extra 1/2 cup rolled porridge oatlets - I just use Flahavans.
    The idea is actually Scottish, they fry herring in rolled oats and it gives real extra crunch in this recipe

METHOD
    1 Soak rabbit or chicken overnight (at least 8 hours and up to two days) in buttermilk with onions, herbs, paprika, and cayenne pepper.

2 Drain in colander, leaving some herbs on chicken. In a plastic bag, mix flour and oats with seasonings.
    Meanwhile, heat 2 cups of oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet on medium high heat until a pinch of flour starts to sizzle when dropped in the hot oil (but not so hot that the pan is smoking)

3 Place rabbit or chicken pieces in bag with the oat and flour mix - shake until thoroughly coated.
    Add the meat to hot pan and fry on 1 side for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown, and then turn the pieces over and fry for another 10-12 minutes, again until golden brown.

Be careful to keep the oil hot enough to fry the meat, but not so high as to burn, and a lid on the side just in case.

A very easy to cook meal, and a great way to do fish.
    The advantage of this is that you also create a really nice, delicate sauce at the same time.

I hate doing dishes, so this is a way to cut back on washing up.
    I used shop bought fresh haddock for this -
    but whiting and pollack are good as well and provide a really good, more economic alternative.

haddocksteam5plate.jpg

This will easily feed 4 people.

INGREDIENTS:
    4 haddock or other white fish fillet, about 200 gm each
    2 tbl Lemon juice
    2 tbl Olive oil
    4 tbl water
    1 garlic clove, finely chopped
    1 large carrot - peeled and sliced into thin strips (use a peeler for this)
    3 sticks celery - finely sliced
    1 leek - finely sliced
    Salt and Pepper
    Parsley.

Optional - about half a glass of white wine to deglaze

METHOD:
    Place the lemon juice, oil, water, celery, leek and carrot in a large, heavy based pan.
    Season to taste and bring to a boil.

Lower the heat to a simmer and place the fish skin side down in a layer on top of the veg in the pan.

Cover the pan with foil or baking parchment - then use a lid to cover it and keep as much steam in as possible.
    It only takes about 10 minutes for the fish to be cooked, its done when the flesh is flaking.

Using a fish slice, very gently transfer the fish to a warm plate.

Now add the parsley to the veg mix and cooking liquid.

A drop of wine can be added to deglaze the pan at this point.

Then spoon over the fish and serve.

I just had some quickly wilted spinach and lemony courgette as extra veg and some oven fries - what would fish be without chips after all.

It is a very handy light meal, which is what a lot of us like this time of year after the Xmas's excess.

Clafoutis is a simple French dessert - very easy to make, super simple,
    but it looks really impressive.
    clafoutis+plate.jpg
    It is very economical, made with seasonal fruit. It is also a great way to use up fruit that is just a little over-ripe, so a real money saver

Along with the usual extra tips and pictures I also recently posted a lot of pictures of a snow bound Connemara on the blog, so feel free to visit and take a look-see.

Traditionally in France Clafoutis is made with cherries.

You can use apples, pears, prunes, blackberries etc.
    but in Limousin where the dish comes from if cherries are
    not used its more properly called Flaugnarde.

You can use most garden fruits for this, I used shop bought plums,
    sliced and stoned, and my neighbour Judahs eggs.

There are tons of recipes and variations, including some
    that want pre-heating and cooling of the milk and cream,
    but this is the simplelest way I have found.

It is good cold, but best served warm - ideal as a dessert
    when you are doing other things in the oven like baked potatos
    - as you will be prepping and serving this after the same meal,
    using the same temperature.

INGREDIENTS

100 gm - ½ teacup - sugar (reserve 1 Tbsp. to dust baking dish)
    100 gm - 2/3 teacup all-purpose flour
    200 ml - ¾ teacup - milk
    50 ml - ¼ teacup heavy cream
    3 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    pinch of salt

Fruit of choice to fill
    Knob of butter - about an ounce

METHOD
    Preheat the oven to 180 deg. C

In a blender, combine all the the ingredients except the fruit and butter, and blend on high for 1 minute.

Take a good sized baking dish, add the butter and put it in the oven
    until the butter is foaming.

Remove the baking dish and then spread the butter around
    the base and sides.

Dust the dish lightly with a tsp of sugar.

Pour in half the batter

Now layer in the fruit in the partly filled pan, floating on the
    lower level of batter

Pour on the remaining batter and bake until the top puffs
    and starts to turn golden-brown, about 45-60 minutes.

Serve warm with a little flavoured whipped cream,
    I added lime zest and sherry to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Thanks for posting your version zuiderzee, its one of those recipes that I've always wanted to try but put on the long finger as i could only ever find the complicated versions!! I'll definitely give yours a go though!! :D

• Advertisement

Just an updated alternative Irish varient.
    I try my best to produce my own ingredients or source them from closer to home. I also love to take recipes and give them an Irish twist.
    This variation on the classic Clafoutis gives a richer, more savory pastry.

Connemara Buttermilk Clafoutis
    100 gm - ½ teacup sugar (reserve 1 Tbsp. to dust baking dish)
    100 gm - 2/3 teacup all-purpose flour
    200 ml - ¾ teacup Cuinneog buttermilk
    50 ml - ¼ tea cup heavy cream
    3 eggs
    Level teaspoon baking soda or baking powder
    1 teaspoon Honey
    pinch of salt

Knob of Cuinneog butter - about an ounce - to grease baking dish
    Fruit of choice to fill

The method is identical to the classic version, and takes just a little longer to cook. The above measures take about 50 minutes at 180 deg C in a preheated fan assisted oven
    clafoutbutter2.jpg
    Buttermilk Clafoutis with Nectarine and plums

Advertisement