Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options
  • 21-03-2007 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, I know a lot of people get stuck in a routine of eating the same dinners every week so hopefully this thread will give us all some useful ideas or something to laugh at.

If you see something you'd like to try ask the poster to post a recipe in another thread :)

Last night I had:

Stir-fried honeyed chicken breast with stir-fry vegetables, mango and boiled rice

Really tasty!

*The night before, I had curried omlette with peppers, garden peas spring onion, tumeric, ginger and a dash of soy sauce. Tasted great, I swear!

PLEASE READ MOD NOTE IN THIS POST.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Beef stew last night (same again this evening).
    Thai green curry soup the night before.
    Roast "crying" Connemara lamb the night before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

Wholegrain mustard and mashed potato, mmmmm, with peas and homemade burgers between two of those huge mushrooms instead of burger buns. sorta like my mams healthy take on fast food:D
    i noticed she left out lemon sole fillets to defrost for today aswel
    (licks lips at thought of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Pork chops marinaded in gyros, a baked potato w. a wild garlic yoghurt dressing, and a side-salad of rocket, iceberg, cucumber, carrot and purple carrot (with freshly-made salad dressing, of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

had grilled bacon, turnip (mashed with an onion softened in butter), and peas for tea last night

making a roast chicken tonight, will probably do roast veg with it, and am going to round it off with home-made fairy cakes because it's my mum's birthday

am hoping the weather will be calm enough for fresh fish for tomorrow, am with you you on the lemon soles p-nut ;)

hill billy, can i ask what roast crying connemara lamb is?

catspring wrote:
    hill billy, can i ask what roast crying connemara lamb is?

It is where you place the leg/shoulder of lamb on a rack (as opposed to a roasting dish) above your roast veg & spuds.
    Hey presto! As the lamb roasts the fat then "weeps" down on to the veg for extra "lamby" flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

I made a really quick but tasty dinner...chicken with pasta in a creamy pesto sauce topped with grated cheese and cruched up cheese and onion crisps....mmm...putting crisps on food really works....saltilicious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

i had beef burritos with extra jalepenos! yum!

Chicken breast stuffed with mozeralla, covered with chicken-y pasta sauce and all roasted. On the side was some roast vegetables, and also some mash with kerrygold & cheese melted into it. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

A heavenly Chicken Masala Curry with Garlic and buttered nan, washed down with a couple of bottles of Grolsh beer. Yumyum.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Eddie Rockets. Yuck. But tonight I'm having courgette soup and spaghetti alla puttanesca, so that makes up for it.

• Advertisement

UB wrote:
    spaghetti alla puttanesca
    Whore's spaghetti - it's your only man.

Vol-au-vents, filled with chicken/mushroom in a cream, white wine and paprika sauce, served with wild rice which had some diced veg added through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

Salmon with a garlicky herby (homemade) cream cheese and white wine all wrapped in pastry served with Garlic redskin mash and musy peas. YUM! Even the two year old ate it... but I think just cause it was pink! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Last night was a very simple spaghetti and tuna bolognese.

Home made sauce of olive oil, crushed fresh garlic cloves, chopped tomatoes, mixed herbs and a dash of tomato ketchup.

Other ingredients, tuna, spring onion, mushroom, red and green pepper and some frozen mixed veg to top up.

Tasty!

EDIT: yeah, kids are strange, my 4-year old nephew only likes yellow food! :)

Pork & Chorizo stew (with red pepper and onion, sauce of stock, tabasco and sherry)

Served with fresh, homemade tagliatelle.

bonkey wrote:
    Pork & Chorizo stew (with red pepper and onion, sauce of stock, tabasco and sherry)

Served with fresh, homemade tagliatelle.
    Sounds excellent...hungry now :)

Last night I had home-made chicken curry with boiled rice. I added a bit too much tumeric to the mix so everything looked very yellow.

I also discovered that the natural yoghurt I had was out of date and couldn't use it, so there was no chopped tomato, yoghurt and cornflour mix :(

Still tasted great :) <-- What's that about self-praise...?

Seeing as I'll be offline till Sunday....

Tonight will be fondue (i.e. of the cheese variety).

Yum.

Chicken curry last night. Had made it extra mild for Mrs Billy & HB Jr I. I spiced mine up with ½ teaspoon of Crazy Jerry's Mustard Gas. Bîtchin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

bonkey wrote:

Yum.

aux bolets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I'm normally health-conscious but I was at a wine tasting yesterday evening which discombobulated me, so I went to a Turkish fast food gaff near Charlemont and I had:

Shish Kebab.
    Quarter Pounder.
    Chicken Dippers.

My girlfriend picked me up then and we stopped in Donnybrook Fair on the way home and bought sausages, bread and eggs. I had some of those, with Soy Milk (see, I told you I'm healthy).

I became remorseful then and it was difficult to fall into an easy sleep last night, and I like a python who'd just swallowed a goat.

• Advertisement

Heinrich wrote:
    aux bolets?

Living on the other side of the röstigraben (as I do) I must confess that the term means littleto me. If you mean with mushrooms ...then no.

Local (Zweisimmen) cheese-mix, white wine, garlic, shallots, kirsch, cornflour, dash of nutmeg, salt, pepper & lemon juice. Cooked atop a wood-fired stove and consumed with plenty of Mont Sur Rolle (most likely).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

bonkey wrote:
    Living on the other side of the röstigraben (as I do) I must confess that the term means littleto me. If you mean with mushrooms ...then no.

Local (Zweisimmen) cheese-mix, white wine, garlic, shallots, kirsch, cornflour, dash of nutmeg, salt, pepper & lemon juice. Cooked atop a wood-fired stove and consumed with plenty of Mont Sur Rolle (most likely).

I thought you guys would be more into rösti. Fondue is for fruzes.

My favourite was Gruyere, Vacherin and Appenzell in equal quantities. Always had the ol' Cardinal with my fondues.

Enjoy you evening.

Sat: Sirloin Steaks with fried onions & tomatoes with mashed spuds.
    Sun: Braised rabbit with baby onions & wild mushies in red wine.

Yesterday I had good old Shepards pie. Absolutely fantastic!

Saturday was a quick tuna and pasta bolognese (again) before going out to a French restaurant for wine and a selection of cheeses with friends :)

Sat: Roast leg of chicken, boiled baby potatoes w. a wild garlic dressing, broccoli & carrot.
    Sun: Potato soup w. wienerli (hot-dog sausages) cut into it, topped with grated gruyere.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yesterday I made Beef Fajitas.. Quite nice, I put to use a tip given to me by a friend of putting cheese into the mince while its frying, it melts in and gives it a lovely tangy taste and constancy.. I also used Old El Paso spicy taco sauce in the meat with, guacamole, salsa, re-fried beans, grated cheddar and salad on the side with spicy wedges :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

bonkey wrote:

Yum.
    Speak of the devil. I will be having that wonderfull fondue recipe of yours this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

SAT: vegetable tarte (one half broccoli & ham, other half peppers, onions, courgette)
    SUN: roasted chicken breast with lemony Bombay potatoes (eh...yes...it's a Jamie Oliver recipe :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

5unflower wrote:
    SAT: vegetable tarte (one half broccoli & ham, other half peppers, onions, courgette)
    SUN: roasted chicken breast with lemony Bombay potatoes (eh...yes...it's a Jamie Oliver recipe :) )

I think he is useless. I bought one of his books, wish I could get my money back. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Homemade pizza with pepperoni,mushrooms,onion,red peppers and an egg a generous sprinkle of cayenne pepper and a drizzle of chili oil..... YUM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement