Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awards Night for CI

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Why don't CI divide it into two, i.e nominations, a commiteeeeeeeeeeee then makes selections for the category, and opens the selection to public voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

morana wrote: »
    BTW our rethink of the system has nothing to do with Don Bailey winning!

Oh I know, sorry that came out wrong. What I was trying to say is that the justification as to who merits nomination doesn't rest with the club. If a committee from Cycling Ireland feel that person x or y is more deserving of a place, then that is theirs to decide.

My point was that you cannot level blame at a club because they vote for their own members. Would I vote for Donal Bailey because he is in Orwell? Yes, that's just the nature of a club I guess and there is nothing wrong with it. To suggest it is somehow subversive or "rigging" the vote is not fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

No easy solution to this... it is obvious though from the past two years that some of the awards are a total farce. I think the best option is to have the commissions and the boards do it as was the case in previous years... the biggest problem with online voting is that there has been in the past and very publicly done campaigns by clubs to win awards. I don't think this was as bad this year as it was last year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Scribe Thomas Campbell has also queried the validity of the poll!! :

http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_5322.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Scribe Thomas Campbell has also queried the validity of the poll!! :

http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_5322.shtml

There is nothing invalid about the poll - it reflects the votes of the people who voted. Don't ask a question if you don't want to know the answer.

I would agree that the process is subject to organised voting - this is common knowledge as others have posted.

There are lots of obvious solutions:

- Don't allow people to vote for those in their own clubs

- Restrict votes to multiple-choice based on a set list of candidates put together by the committee (or whatever)

- Introduce a couple of "Fred's choice" categories and contain the democracy in those.

- Go for a full-on X-Factor elimination process, televised on Youtube and running for several hours a day over the course of eleventy feckin weeks until everyone is completely sick of the noise of the stupid audience screaming, mock politics between judges and absurd over-promotion of talentless candidates to the point where domestic tensions are pushing them to the brink of divorce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Lumen wrote: »
    Go for a full-on X-Factor elimination process, televised on Youtube and running for several hours a day over the course of eleventy feckin weeks until everyone is completely sick of the noise of the stupid audience screaming, mock politics between judges and absurd over-promotion of talentless candidates to the point where domestic tensions are pushing them to the brink of divorce.

So where do you stand on Wagner?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I thought that was pretty cowardly from Tommy. If he has a problem with someone winning an award he should come right out and say it rather than slyly alluding to it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

el tonto wrote: »
    I thought that was pretty cowardly from Tommy. If he has a problem with someone winning an award he should come right out and say it rather than slyly alluding to it

There have been plenty of comments here in the past about Tommys "individual" style of reporting.
    Poor form though...

Advertisement