Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
01-11-2010, 23:27   #16
Orizio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 8,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternZulu View Post
When Dublin won the U21's a few years ago was there not two players from an African background playing in the forwards?
Sweetnam from Erins Isle.

On a slightly bizarre note, the fellow from Sligo who plays striker for Bohs (Cretaro or something like that) his brother used to play for the Sligo hurlers.

There is loads of lads who were born in Ireland with European surnames - Fulignati, that Mayo goalkeeper, that Tipp footballer etc.

Also, Simon Zebo, a current reserve winger for Munster, was supposedly a very fine hurler/footballer in his youth. A shiny apple for whichever Corkman can guess his former club...
Orizio is offline  
Advertisement
02-11-2010, 00:26   #17
An Citeog
Registered User
 
An Citeog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 2,978
3 players off the top of my head in Dublin are Ted Furman (Ballymun Kickhams), Luke Sweetman (Erins Isle) and Craig Dias (Kilmacud Crokes). All 3 have represented Dublin underage. Fran Usanga played senior hurling for Craobh Chiarain and also played on the Dublin colleges team. Not sure if he played minor for Dublin though.
An Citeog is offline  
02-11-2010, 00:27   #18
Gyalist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,177
An old friend of mine, Glen Gordon, played for Meath minor football teams in the late 80s. He was born in London - father is Jamaican and mother from Meath - but came to Ireland as a baby.

He was an outstanding all-round athlete (I played cricket against him and his dad when they played for North Kildare Cricket Club) and was expected to play football at senior level but the family emigrated to Australia in 1989.
Gyalist is online now  
Thanks from:
02-11-2010, 02:46   #19
Orizio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 8,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Citeog View Post
3 players off the top of my head in Dublin are Ted Furman (Ballymun Kickhams), Luke Sweetman (Erins Isle) and Craig Dias (Kilmacud Crokes). All 3 have represented Dublin underage. Fran Usanga played senior hurling for Craobh Chiarain and also played on the Dublin colleges team. Not sure if he played minor for Dublin though.
I'm assuming this is a different chap to the fellow I played against down in East Cork maybe 3-4 years ago. He was defintely down here at Minor and U-21 level anyway, may have moved up to Dublin afterwards (maybe two years ago?).
Orizio is offline  
02-11-2010, 12:26   #20
Saint_Mel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orizio View Post
Sweetnam from Erins Isle.

On a slightly bizarre note, the fellow from Sligo who plays striker for Bohs (Cretaro or something like that) his brother used to play for the Sligo hurlers.

There is loads of lads who were born in Ireland with European surnames - Fulignati, that Mayo goalkeeper, that Tipp footballer etc.
Current Athlone Town FC goalkeeper and former Mayo GAA Minor keeper Michéal Schlingermann. His local GAA club is Kiltimagh. Also played for Sligo Rovers and Carlow IT.
Saint_Mel is offline  
Advertisement
02-11-2010, 19:09   #21
An Citeog
Registered User
 
An Citeog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 2,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orizio View Post
I'm assuming this is a different chap to the fellow I played against down in East Cork maybe 3-4 years ago. He was defintely down here at Minor and U-21 level anyway, may have moved up to Dublin afterwards (maybe two years ago?).
It's the same lad alright. He went to school in St Davids, Artane. Here's a bit more on him: http://www.herald.ie/sport/the-dubs/...h-1880915.html
An Citeog is offline  
02-11-2010, 19:11   #22
theoneeyedman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Mel View Post
Current Athlone Town FC goalkeeper and former Mayo GAA Minor keeper Michéal Schlingermann. His local GAA club is Kiltimagh. Also played for Sligo Rovers and Carlow IT.

Is that where he is now.....seriously talented keeper.

Rafael Cretaro of Bohs was mentioned earlier.....Tubbercurry born and bred of Italian parentage (think i heard once they operate a chipper) and yes one of them played hurling for Sligo.

See a lot of school teams around longford with coloured lads on their teams....indeed one team were on the paper recently winning an under 14 competition and were captained by a polish lad i think. Also, Sean O'Heslins in Ballinamore have a lad playing senior for them for the last few years called Asanovich (I think it is).....
theoneeyedman is offline  
02-11-2010, 19:45   #23
Orizio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 8,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Citeog View Post
It's the same lad alright. He went to school in St Davids, Artane. Here's a bit more on him: http://www.herald.ie/sport/the-dubs/...h-1880915.html
Bizarre. Played against him at U-21 level and he destroyed us single-handedly from full-forward. Saw him play in that Intermediate final against Carrigtwohill and he was pretty poor, missed a sitter of a goal although he did set up a goal as well. Very strong and physical with enough hurling to make his physique count but I'm suprised to see that he played inter-county underage for Dublin, wouldn't have considered his skill levels quite that high.

He is probably the second most 'famous' person I have marked after Paudie Sul.
Orizio is offline  
02-11-2010, 21:56   #24
Blackjack
Registered User
 
Blackjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Mel View Post
Current Athlone Town FC goalkeeper and former Mayo GAA Minor keeper Michéal Schlingermann. His local GAA club is Kiltimagh. Also played for Sligo Rovers and Carlow IT.
Was wondering where he ended up. Was an outstanding keeper at Minor level for Mayo.

Hope he does well in the Soccer Leagues, but if that doesn't work out I'd love to see him back in Goals for Mayo.
Blackjack is offline  
Advertisement
03-11-2010, 00:17   #25
Agus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 535
Plenty of underage players around of different ethnicities now, and we will surely see some at senior county level.

Paddy Ruschitzko played hurling for Laois from the 1930s to the 1950s. Polish father, Irish mother. Laois were stronger in those days and he was the last man to captain Laois to a Leinster senior championship title and also to an All-Ireland final, in 1949.
Agus is offline  
03-11-2010, 08:22   #26
Saint_Mel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
Was wondering where he ended up. Was an outstanding keeper at Minor level for Mayo.

Hope he does well in the Soccer Leagues, but if that doesn't work out I'd love to see him back in Goals for Mayo.
Signed at the start of the season just finished as understudy to Chris Bennion. Took the No.1 shirt when Benno departed in July. Made 1 or 2 gaffs but more than made up for them with some unbelievable saves throughout the rest of the season. Sound fella off the pitch too.
Saint_Mel is offline  
04-11-2010, 11:40   #27
tipp_Gunner
Registered User
 
tipp_Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 10,771
James Stephens had a young Bengali hurling for them on Up for the match a few months back. i think O'Loughlins have a young Nigerian playing for them. its probably the only way if at all possible this game could open up on a global scale not that its the ambition of the GAA or anything.

Matthew Macklin is birmingham born but represented Tipperary and Ballingarry (south tipp) at underage.

Sure doesn't Xabi Alonso have an All Ireland underage club medal with Kells
tipp_Gunner is online now  
04-11-2010, 17:30   #28
Orizio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 8,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipp_Gunner View Post
its probably the only way if at all possible this game could open up on a global scale not that its the ambition of the GAA or anything.
http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-features/g...lobal-006737-1
Orizio is offline  
06-11-2010, 11:16   #29
theoneeyedman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 993
2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipp_Gunner View Post
James Stephens had a young Bengali hurling for them on Up for the match a few months back. i think O'Loughlins have a young Nigerian playing for them. its probably the only way if at all possible this game could open up on a global scale not that its the ambition of the GAA or anything.

Matthew Macklin is birmingham born but represented Tipperary and Ballingarry (south tipp) at underage.

Sure doesn't Xabi Alonso have an All Ireland underage club medal with Kells

Ah ya see thats the roscommon blood in him coming through ....father is a Four Roads man-big hurling country!!!
theoneeyedman is offline  
06-11-2010, 13:00   #30
tipp_Gunner
Registered User
 
tipp_Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 10,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orizio View Post
I suppose high emigration will also play a role. probably a better standard of hurler/footballer in lets say the likes of London or New York nowadays.
tipp_Gunner is online now  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet