Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-11-2010, 23:27   #16
Orizio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternZulu View Post
When Dublin won the U21's a few years ago was there not two players from an African background playing in the forwards?
Sweetnam from Erins Isle.

On a slightly bizarre note, the fellow from Sligo who plays striker for Bohs (Cretaro or something like that) his brother used to play for the Sligo hurlers.

There is loads of lads who were born in Ireland with European surnames - Fulignati, that Mayo goalkeeper, that Tipp footballer etc.

Also, Simon Zebo, a current reserve winger for Munster, was supposedly a very fine hurler/footballer in his youth. A shiny apple for whichever Corkman can guess his former club...
Advertisement
02-11-2010, 00:26   #17
An Citeog

3 players off the top of my head in Dublin are Ted Furman (Ballymun Kickhams), Luke Sweetman (Erins Isle) and Craig Dias (Kilmacud Crokes). All 3 have represented Dublin underage. Fran Usanga played senior hurling for Craobh Chiarain and also played on the Dublin colleges team. Not sure if he played minor for Dublin though.
02-11-2010, 00:27   #18
Gyalist

An old friend of mine, Glen Gordon, played for Meath minor football teams in the late 80s. He was born in London - father is Jamaican and mother from Meath - but came to Ireland as a baby.

He was an outstanding all-round athlete (I played cricket against him and his dad when they played for North Kildare Cricket Club) and was expected to play football at senior level but the family emigrated to Australia in 1989.
Thanks from:
02-11-2010, 02:46   #19
Orizio

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Citeog View Post
3 players off the top of my head in Dublin are Ted Furman (Ballymun Kickhams), Luke Sweetman (Erins Isle) and Craig Dias (Kilmacud Crokes). All 3 have represented Dublin underage. Fran Usanga played senior hurling for Craobh Chiarain and also played on the Dublin colleges team. Not sure if he played minor for Dublin though.
I'm assuming this is a different chap to the fellow I played against down in East Cork maybe 3-4 years ago. He was defintely down here at Minor and U-21 level anyway, may have moved up to Dublin afterwards (maybe two years ago?).
02-11-2010, 12:26   #20
Saint_Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orizio View Post
Sweetnam from Erins Isle.

On a slightly bizarre note, the fellow from Sligo who plays striker for Bohs (Cretaro or something like that) his brother used to play for the Sligo hurlers.

There is loads of lads who were born in Ireland with European surnames - Fulignati, that Mayo goalkeeper, that Tipp footballer etc.
Current Athlone Town FC goalkeeper and former Mayo GAA Minor keeper Michéal Schlingermann. His local GAA club is Kiltimagh. Also played for Sligo Rovers and Carlow IT.
Advertisement
02-11-2010, 19:09   #21
An Citeog

Quote:
I'm assuming this is a different chap to the fellow I played against down in East Cork maybe 3-4 years ago. He was defintely down here at Minor and U-21 level anyway, may have moved up to Dublin afterwards (maybe two years ago?).
It's the same lad alright. He went to school in St Davids, Artane. Here's a bit more on him: http://www.herald.ie/sport/the-dubs/...h-1880915.html
02-11-2010, 19:11   #22
theoneeyedman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Mel View Post
Current Athlone Town FC goalkeeper and former Mayo GAA Minor keeper Michéal Schlingermann. His local GAA club is Kiltimagh. Also played for Sligo Rovers and Carlow IT.

Is that where he is now.....seriously talented keeper.

Rafael Cretaro of Bohs was mentioned earlier.....Tubbercurry born and bred of Italian parentage (think i heard once they operate a chipper) and yes one of them played hurling for Sligo.

See a lot of school teams around longford with coloured lads on their teams....indeed one team were on the paper recently winning an under 14 competition and were captained by a polish lad i think. Also, Sean O'Heslins in Ballinamore have a lad playing senior for them for the last few years called Asanovich (I think it is).....
02-11-2010, 19:45   #23
Orizio

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Citeog View Post
It's the same lad alright. He went to school in St Davids, Artane. Here's a bit more on him: http://www.herald.ie/sport/the-dubs/...h-1880915.html
Bizarre. Played against him at U-21 level and he destroyed us single-handedly from full-forward. Saw him play in that Intermediate final against Carrigtwohill and he was pretty poor, missed a sitter of a goal although he did set up a goal as well. Very strong and physical with enough hurling to make his physique count but I'm suprised to see that he played inter-county underage for Dublin, wouldn't have considered his skill levels quite that high.

He is probably the second most 'famous' person I have marked after Paudie Sul.
02-11-2010, 21:56   #24
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Mel View Post
Was wondering where he ended up. Was an outstanding keeper at Minor level for Mayo.

Hope he does well in the Soccer Leagues, but if that doesn't work out I'd love to see him back in Goals for Mayo.
Advertisement
03-11-2010, 00:17   #25
Agus

Plenty of underage players around of different ethnicities now, and we will surely see some at senior county level.

Paddy Ruschitzko played hurling for Laois from the 1930s to the 1950s. Polish father, Irish mother. Laois were stronger in those days and he was the last man to captain Laois to a Leinster senior championship title and also to an All-Ireland final, in 1949.
03-11-2010, 08:22   #26
Saint_Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
Was wondering where he ended up. Was an outstanding keeper at Minor level for Mayo.

Hope he does well in the Soccer Leagues, but if that doesn't work out I'd love to see him back in Goals for Mayo.
Signed at the start of the season just finished as understudy to Chris Bennion. Took the No.1 shirt when Benno departed in July. Made 1 or 2 gaffs but more than made up for them with some unbelievable saves throughout the rest of the season. Sound fella off the pitch too.
04-11-2010, 11:40   #27
tipp_Gunner

James Stephens had a young Bengali hurling for them on Up for the match a few months back. i think O'Loughlins have a young Nigerian playing for them. its probably the only way if at all possible this game could open up on a global scale not that its the ambition of the GAA or anything.

Matthew Macklin is birmingham born but represented Tipperary and Ballingarry (south tipp) at underage.

Sure doesn't Xabi Alonso have an All Ireland underage club medal with Kells
04-11-2010, 17:30   #28
Orizio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipp_Gunner View Post
its probably the only way if at all possible this game could open up on a global scale not that its the ambition of the GAA or anything.
http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-features/g...lobal-006737-1
06-11-2010, 11:16   #29
theoneeyedman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipp_Gunner View Post
James Stephens had a young Bengali hurling for them on Up for the match a few months back. i think O'Loughlins have a young Nigerian playing for them. its probably the only way if at all possible this game could open up on a global scale not that its the ambition of the GAA or anything.

Matthew Macklin is birmingham born but represented Tipperary and Ballingarry (south tipp) at underage.

Sure doesn't Xabi Alonso have an All Ireland underage club medal with Kells

Ah ya see thats the roscommon blood in him coming through ....father is a Four Roads man-big hurling country!!!
06-11-2010, 13:00   #30
tipp_Gunner

Quote:
I suppose high emigration will also play a role. probably a better standard of hurler/footballer in lets say the likes of London or New York nowadays.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion