Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campsites in France

Options
  • 22-10-2010 7:46pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am researching next summers Holiday,what else would one be doing on a cold night in October.We are taken the gang to one of the campsites in France,going to use the boat as I would not take my lot on a flight just yet as they are way to small and it would be to stressful.

Has anybody here done this and can you offer tips..?I need to be near Pairs as we are going to spin by eurodisney.This site is the front runner link any other suggestions fire away and I will have a look.

Since that site is north of Paris I am half thinking of doing a landbridge over and maybe come back on the long boat to rosslare.The landbridge gives a lot more flexibility and seems a lot faster,my only concern is it would be a bit much on the kids they are 8,6,4,2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

I've stayed on that site a few times - it's handy for Disneyland, which is why we were there too.

The facilities are excellent.

There's Parc Asterix in the vicinity as well. It's very French, but it gets you away from the relentlessness of Disney. My teenagers (older than your kids, I know) reckoned it was as good, and the queues were shorter. The French are more relaxed about a glass of beer or wine than the Americans, so keeping the adults refreshed is better there too!

Flogging across England and Wales in the car is no kind of fun. Once we could afford Irish Ferries we used them all the time. It costs more, but the bonus is arriving in France after a night's sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Used Siblu last year and was very happy with them.

Try this page to compare your price

http://www.siblu.ie/france/paris/la_croix_du_vieux_pont.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

There are just so many campsites, you'll go boggle-eyed just trying to trawl through them. Depending on your requirements - there is quite a difference between the larger chain sites, and the smaller independently run site.

Here are a few good sites to start your research:

http://www.campingfrance.com/UK/

http://www.campingqualite.com/

http://www.camping-castels.co.uk/

http://www.roulottes-de-campagne.com/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

nompere wrote: »
    I've stayed on that site a few times - it's handy for Disneyland, which is why we were there too.

The facilities are excellent.

There's Parc Asterix in the vicinity as well. It's very French, but it gets you away from the relentlessness of Disney. My teenagers (older than your kids, I know) reckoned it was as good, and the queues were shorter. The French are more relaxed about a glass of beer or wine than the Americans, so keeping the adults refreshed is better there too!

Flogging across England and Wales in the car is no kind of fun. Once we could afford Irish Ferries we used them all the time. It costs more, but the bonus is arriving in France after a night's sleep.

Thanks for the info,very helpful.

When you did the land bridge did you drive overnight or through the day..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

We were in Le Croix do vieu point in May last year with Canvas holidays.

We were there in May and it was pretty quiet (which we prefered)

Nearby towns of compiegne & Soissons are quite nice and there is a lot to see in the area (especially if your a history buff)

Eurodisney is close enough, down the A1 Motorway.

This site also has the large lodges and even the treehouses which looked so nice!
    the lodges/treehouses are along a river so there were loads of ducks wandering around.... kids loved it!

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info,very helpful.

When you did the land bridge did you drive overnight or through the day..?

Overnight every time. It helps if you've someone to share the driving with, but I didn't always have that. English motorways can get so jammed that it always seemed to make sensse to drive when it was quiet. The kids are more likely to doze and so not fight when it's dark outside as well!

http://www.camping-castels.co.uk/ referred to by olaola is a great website for finding the best camp sites. I used that chain a lot over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Just to say - Landbridge. Never again. And I don't even have kids. Ferry all the way (and not Celtic Link!!) I know it's the cheesy tag-line. But your holiday really does start when you step on board, not when you're driving though traffic on the UK motorways (blearugh)

olaola wrote: »
    Just to say - Landbridge. Never again. And I don't even have kids. Ferry all the way (and not Celtic Link!!) I know it's the cheesy tag-line. But your holiday really does start when you step on board, not when you're driving though traffic on the UK motorways (blearugh)

Absolutely - and Brittany Ferries for choice. I went off Irish Ferries when they used that awful Normandie from Rosslare. Driving away from Roscoff is much easier than getting away from Cherbourg. I even used Brittany Ferries when driving to La Croix du Vieux Pont. That was quite a long drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 annalee

Hi just wondering if anyone has stayed in the ST AVIT LOISIRS campsite in le Bugue - the Dordogne area of France. I'm thinking of heading there at the end of June with our 4 kids aged 5-12 and would just like to hear of your experiences. Will be booking with either keycamp or eurocamp so interested in activities for the kids and things to do generally in the area. Also some people have told me that it can get very hot , can't afford a mobile with aircon so all advice welcome.
    Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

We haven't stayed in that campsite but we've stayed in Camping La Palombiere in St Nathalene, which is 10 minutes drive from Sarlat.

The area is beautiful and can get quite warm at times but the last two summers (we stayed mid-end July) it was pleasant. Cooler in 2011 than 2012 but we needed heat in 2011 and were comfortable in 2012. However in 2010 it hit 40C while we were there.

Sarlat is lovely to visit and there are two spectacular gardens in the area: Marqueyssac and d'Eryignac. Also you can visit Rocamadour and some of the cave villages including La Roque de St. Christophe.

Are you driving down or flying in?

• Advertisement

Thanks for your reply and the recommended places to visit - we are hoping to fly to Bordeaux and hire a car.
    The area sounds lovely and will just have to hope the weather doesn't heat up too much ! We could always visit a few caves if the temp soars !!

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Sydney2007

We were there a few years ago, in August. It was a bit hot, but we bought a couple of fans (€9.99 in Leclerc or Intermarche or somewhere like that - you can abandon them if you are flying!). But you should be fine in June. It is a good site - clean, entertainment, pool etc. Your 12 year old would enjoy a trip in a canoe/kayak (cant remember where, but less than 1 hr away, the flyers are at reception). There is go-karting not too far away, and there is a good Aquarium in town. Sarlat is a big traffic jam! But Rocamadour is worth a look.
    Also, you might consider flying into Rodez. It's small, and Ryanair fly there on Saturdays, and sometimes they have good bargains. I don't think Aer Lingus fl;y to Bordeaux or Toulouse on a Saturday.You might get cheaper car hire there too. Try www.citer.fr use the French version, because they do a family discount - so much off if you have x children. Have fun.

Thanks for sharing your experience of st Avit Loisirs and for the good advice. Sounds good !

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bimmerman

We are planning a motorhome trip to France next July.
    It sounds a bit parochial, but we want to choose a site that is popular with other Irish - mainly so the kiddies will find others to play with.
    We are thinking Vendee / Loire / Gironde / Dordogne regions.
    Must be 4 / 5 star sites with good water park facilities.
    Suggestions, please.

We (2 adults, 9 y.o. girl, 7 y.o. boy) stayed there last year for a week. We had our campervan, so I can't comment on the cabins.
    Beautiful rural setting, great cycling around but quite hilly.
    Couldn't fault the campsite. Great water park, ok restaurant (no Gordon Ramsey, but fine), nightly entertainment in English in high season.

olaola wrote: »

I fully agree - take the overnight ferry. An 18-hour sailing seems like forever with the kids, but after boarding - a meal, the magic show followed by cabaret, then it's bedtime for smallies. Wake up 1-2 hours before landing. On the road to destination by 10am, so the first day is not all wasted.
    It's a once-a-year holiday - don't waste in on English motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭metrostation

bimmerman wrote: »
    It sounds a bit parochial, but we want to choose a site that is popular with other Irish - mainly so the kiddies will find others to play with.
    Suggestions, please.

Vendee seems to be a popular spot for the Irish, lots of 4 + 5 star campsites around this region such as clerys plage, le littoral etc. You can log onto eurocamp website and do a search of this region for all the different sites.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Vendee seems to be a popular spot for the Irish, lots of 4 + 5 star campsites around this region such as clerys plage, le littoral etc. You can log onto eurocamp website and do a search of this region for all the different sites.

Stayed in Acapulco near st jean de mont afew years back...not a great deal to do on the campsite and the nearest shops are a good walk away.
    The nearest pub is really only reachable by driving as the roads are jet black at night and far too dangerous to be walking IMO.
    There's also a fair number of English yob types staying in the area and they can get veery noisy at night when they're on the piss.

chopper6 wrote: »
    Stayed in Acapulco near st jean de mont afew years back...not a great deal to do on the campsite and the nearest shops are a good walk away.
    The nearest pub is really only reachable by driving as the roads are jet black at night and far too dangerous to be walking IMO.
    There's also a fair number of English yob types staying in the area and they can get veery noisy at night when they're on the piss.

Didnt think it would be the type of place to attract lager louts getting pissed and causing a racket, but then i suppose you can get that anywhere you go on holidays :(

Also another thing i heard was that some of the pubs around st Jean de Mont lay on a taxi to bring customers home at the end of the night.I wouldn't like to attempt walking home if the roads were in any way dodgy at night, is it expensive for taxis over there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Suggestions, please.

Have a look on the Campervan & Motorhome Forum here as you'll get better suggestions with regard to sites suited to Motorhomes (ie sites in locations with good cycle tracks, or where driving is not necessary, or with good pool, toilet and shower facilities on site as the accommodation is not relevant when you have a motorhome).

We've a motorhome and have just booked Camping Acapulco for 2 weeks in August. We normally favour moving around but as the children get older, packing up and driving is too much hassle. Though ours are young and actually enjoy attempting to speak to French and Dutch children so to date we've managed to avoid the Keycamp brigade. Though lots of my recent searches seem to find reviews which suggest that St Jean de Monts is full of Irish and English bars and a bit too touristy which is hopefully an exaggeration!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

MammaZita wrote: »
    Have a look on the Campervan & Motorhome Forum here as you'll get better suggestions with regard to sites suited to Motorhomes (ie sites in locations with good cycle tracks, or where driving is not necessary, or with good pool, toilet and shower facilities on site as the accommodation is not relevant when you have a motorhome).

We've a motorhome and have just booked Camping Acapulco for 2 weeks in August. We normally favour moving around but as the children get older, packing up and driving is too much hassle. Though ours are young and actually enjoy attempting to speak to French and Dutch children so to date we've managed to avoid the Keycamp brigade. Though lots of my recent searches seem to find reviews which suggest that St Jean de Monts is full of Irish and English bars and a bit too touristy which is hopefully an exaggeration!!

I havnt been in Acaulco for years it might well be different now...one thing i will say for it though is its a very short walk to the beach and the sorrounding countryside is beautiful. Rabbits regulalrly venture up to the mobiles and i've seen a peacock there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Suggestions, please.

Hi , having been going to French campsites for last 6 years I can highly recommend la charmettes in vendee(Siblu site). It had the most Irish people that I ever came across in France. Its a large park with great pools, bike hire on site, good bars/ restaurant and close to beach. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

http://en.camping-la-garangeoire.com/

If you want a relaxed family holiday its perfect, everyone can go off and do their own things, very safe campsite. plenty of Irish people there in early July then around late July the English come. Extremely high return rate to the campsite, plenty to do in the surrounding areas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hi , having been going to French campsites for last 6 years I can highly recommend la charmettes in vendee(Siblu site). It had the most Irish people that I ever came across in France. Its a large park with great pools, bike hire on site, good bars/ restaurant and close to beach. Hope this helps.

Les Charmettes is a wonderful campsite but it is not in the Vendee it is in Charente Maritime. There is a difference of about 3 or 4 hours by car - it's a lot further south than some of the popular Vendee campsites.

Campsites around St. Jean De Monts are particularly good, Le Bois Masson and Bois Dormant are sister Siblu sites across the road from each other - great sites.
    Others I have been on and would highly recommend are Clarys Pláge and Aculpulco - next to one another about 15mins drive from St. Jean.
    Clarys Plage is a fantastic site but the pool can get a bit crowded and they need to have more people on duty there but the facilities are great.

There are so many options - 4 star campsites are generally of a very high standard throughout France - super family holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Hi we have booked our sailing to Roscoff. Going the last two weeks in June. Looking to stay in Brittany as we don't want to far a drive for the kids, 4 and 1.

Can anybody recommend a good campsite? Looking for a family friendly, maybe a water park nearby kind of place. Would like to be close to a town and a beach. Any help welcomed:-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hi we have booked our sailing to Roscoff. Going the last two weeks in June. Looking to stay in Brittany as we don't want to far a drive for the kids, 4 and 1.

Can anybody recommend a good campsite? Looking for a family friendly, maybe a water park nearby kind of place. Would like to be close to a town and a beach. Any help welcomed:-)

Don't know much about Brittany but why not drive down to the Vendee? It's just over a 4hr drive from Roscoff plus if you are on Brittany ferries you arrive on a Sunday morning at 7.30 am - kids usually fall back to sleep for most of the journey. Also it's more than likely that when you arrive your mobile won't be ready that early so no point arriving too early.
    I've been to St. Jean De Monts a few times, very nice town with great markets, lovely beach and there is a water park aswell.
    It's one of the more popular areas as it really has a lot to do - plenty of camping sites to chose from too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Agree with Cardwizzard 4 or 5 hours is not a long drive with children- we have 3 (now 6, 4 & 2) and have been going to France for the last 4 years and Vendee is the furtherest North we've stayed for more than a night.

You could always book into a hotel to break the journey if your children really hate driving.

There's so much of France to see its a pity to restrict yourself esp if weather is important.

Le Grande Metairie seems to be one of the best campsites around the Brittany region, its a good 2 hours drive south of Roscoff - http://www.lagrandemetairie.com/en/

But tbh, as other posters have pointed out you will get much better weather, parks and facilities if you go further south...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Thks for the replies. Yeah I'll look into going futher south.

Just saw the Ldlines boat that goes futher south to st nazaire, that might have being a better option. Looking forward to it no matter where we end up!

• Advertisement

Thks for the replies. Yeah I'll look into going futher south.

Just saw the Ldlines boat that goes futher south to st nazaire, that might have being a better option. Looking forward to it no matter where we end up!

You cannot compare the 2 boats....Port Aven is a fantastic ship...the best option for travelling to France. Ldlines could be more classed as a truckers boat - it's grand but a lot longer journey with little or nothing to do!

Advertisement