How many teachers are unemployed?? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-10-2010, 23:28   #1
chunli_boom

How many teachers are unemployed??

Just wondring if there is any definite figures for the amount of unemployed teachers out there?

Or better yet the number of unemployed NQTs? I'm just feeling so down that I've worked so hard last year in the P.G.D.E course and I haven't even gotten an interview....boourns!
Advertisement
18-10-2010, 13:40   #2
dambarude

800 at primary level according to Sheila Nunan on the News at One.

It's unbelievable that she's defending retired teachers taking up subbing positions. Almost 10% of all subs in primary schools (302 people) are retired teachers apparently.
Thanks from:
18-10-2010, 14:47   #3
Rapunzels

7 years teaching and this year I have 13 hours 20 mins..
18-10-2010, 15:11   #4
starre

6 years teaching and have worked two weeks total in the last 17 months. 0 days in the last 11. No interview since summer 2009.
18-10-2010, 17:02   #5
gaeilgegrinds1

We had two part-time positions this year, since those have been filled we have received over 600 CVs in to the office. I asked the secretary today. She also said she's been told to shred them all as we have more than enough part-time teachers and ex-Dips. She does tell them that though so they can take them home. It's so sad as I'd say it's impossible to break into these days.
Advertisement
18-10-2010, 19:00   #6
dambarude

Any chance this thread could be locked?! It's very depressing.
Thanks from:
18-10-2010, 19:04   #7
Quandary

Just out of interest, would the people posting here mind indicating whether they're primary or secondary teachers and also how far they are prepared to travel for subbing work?
18-10-2010, 19:05   #8
dambarude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
Just out of interest, would the people posting here mind indicating whether they're primary or secondary teachers and also how far they are prepared to travel for subbing work?
I'm no good to you, I'm a primary teacher in training. Ask me again in two years time when I'm sure it'll be even worse... Judging by the budget announcements at any rate.
18-10-2010, 19:19   #9
Quandary

Quote:
Originally Posted by dambarude View Post
I'm no good to you, I'm a primary teacher in training. Ask me again in two years time when I'm sure it'll be even worse... Judging by the budget announcements at any rate.
Im a primary teacher in training too

I was thinking that when im qualified ill give myself a driving radius of 1.5 hours to do subbing or if very lucky get a place for my dip yr. Im based in Dublin but I do have the option of moving home to Kerry if prospects are better down there...
Advertisement
18-10-2010, 19:24   #10
dambarude

There's definitely an advantage to being foot loose and fancy free in this environment. I'd be willing to work in any county really, but I won't get too ahead of myself.

The one consolation for primary teachers is the huge numbers of babies being born the last few years- they have to be taught by somebody. An increase to the PTR in the budget would have disastrous consequences in terms of standards in the clasroom and employment levels though. And unfortunately that's quite like something that would happen when the Greens leave government.
18-10-2010, 20:07   #11
maynooth_rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by dambarude View Post
800 at primary level according to Sheila Nunan on the News at One.

It's unbelievable that she's defending retired teachers taking up subbing positions. Almost 10% of all subs in primary schools (302 people) are retired teachers apparently.
This is a pet hate of mine. Retired teachers on pensions coming back to do subbing is nothing short of scandalous. It shouldnt be tolerated and I really wish the unions would attempt to do something about it.

BTW, im an unemployed teacher by the way. 4 years experience and still cant get a jiffy
Thanks from:
20-10-2010, 00:14   #12
chunli_boom

Im a secondary teacher with History and C.S.P.E. I might as well just have History I guess! I'm willing to work in Dublin. Partner needs to stay in Dublin. I'm down with certain schools as a sub but have heard nothing since September. I'v handed out so many CVs to so many schools but I'm barely even getting any replies.
God if teachers with so much experience can't even get anything I don't know how NQTs have a chance. I'm just so worried that without some real classroom experience this year that I'm going to lose everything I'v learnt and my confidence with students.
20-10-2010, 08:36   #13
TheDriver

All i can say about retired people subbing is that if you are in a poor location and have literally one or two days short notice, retired people are very reliable whereas younger teachers, you need to usually ring a good few and be told about they have ajob, hours elsewhere etc. I agree retired people shouldn't be used for longer term stuff but sometimes theres a lot more to the story than mere stats
(3) thanks from:
20-10-2010, 22:39   #14
maynooth_rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDriver View Post
All i can say about retired people subbing is that if you are in a poor location and have literally one or two days short notice, retired people are very reliable whereas younger teachers, you need to usually ring a good few and be told about they have ajob, hours elsewhere etc. I agree retired people shouldn't be used for longer term stuff but sometimes theres a lot more to the story than mere stats
You are trying to justify the completely and utterly unjustifiable. Retired teachers on pensions should never be let near a classroom. If they go back, they don't deserve their pension.
It is not hard for the Teaching Council to set up a registrar of qualified unemployed teachers. Any principal that needs a teacher in short notice looks up this registrar and contacts unemployed teachers from that area. Simples.
Retired teachers are called back because of cushy relationships with principals. It is typical Ireland. It should not be tolerated, it is very easy to be stopped, and it would not be accepted anywhere else.
(2) thanks from:
20-10-2010, 23:39   #15
Rosita

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynooth_rules View Post

You are trying to justify the completely and utterly unjustifiable. Retired teachers on pensions should never be let near a classroom. If they go back, they don't deserve their pension.

In fairness to The Driver I think it more a matter of explaining why schools do it (what motivates a Vice-Principal at 8.25am when a sub is needed at 9am) rather than justifying it (saying it is right and ideal).

And like many other things we believe are unique to Ireland, I'd be surprised if something as explainable in practical terms as this is not happening anywhere else other than Ireland.

Last edited by Rosita; 20-10-2010 at 23:41.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion