Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it required to have a dog on a lead?

Options
  • 04-10-2010 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

There is a guy near me who walks his Rottweiler and 2 German Sheppard's
    on the streets without any leads , Is he required to have them on a lead and if so who can I report him to for not doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

As they are restricted breeds they are required to be on lead and muzzled in public places, and you can report him if he's not doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Would it not be easier to go talk to the guy and ask him to keep his dogs on the lead if you're concerned about them being off the lead?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

seamus wrote: »
    Would it not be easier to go talk to the guy and ask him to keep his dogs on the lead if you're concerned about them being off the lead?

I can't speak for the OP, but I most certainly wouldn't approach anyone surrounded by a rottweiler and 2 German shepards...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Shenshen wrote: »
    I can't speak for the OP, but I most certainly wouldn't approach anyone surrounded by a rottweiler and 2 German shepards...

Why? Would you say the same if it was a poodle and two labs?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Ah FFS

• Advertisement

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Why? Would you say the same if it was a poodle and two labs?

Yes.
    I don't go anywhere near dogs that aren't on a leash, I've made some very, very bad experiences there.
    The only breeds I would except maybe are those who can't open their mouths wide enough to bite.

Well he is free to knock on the guy's door rather than approach him on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Yes.
    I don't go anywhere near dogs that aren't on a leash, I've made some very, very bad experiences there.
    The only breeds I would except maybe are those who can't open their mouths wide enough to bite.

Thats fair enough but in that case there was no need to bring the breeds into it.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Thats fair enough but in that case there was no need to bring the breeds into it.

Er... what? The OP mentioned the breeds, I just repeated what he said. Why would the breeds make any difference? They are big dogs, they cause big wounds. Simple as.

Er... what? The OP mentioned the breeds, I just repeated what he said. Why would the breeds make any difference? They are big dogs, they cause big wounds. Simple as.
    Any dog can cause a big wound, even a chihuahua. :)

If the OP is scared of dogs, then knocking on the guy's door and explaining his concerns is the best way to go. Going straight to the authorities will likely get you a label of being the local busybody and then you'll never get a chance to appear reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Then you would have said this...
    I can't speak for the OP, but I most certainly wouldn't approach anyone surrounded by a rottweiler and 2 German shepards three dogs...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes.

All dogs can open their mouths wide enough to bite, even tiny dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

There's a guy who walks by my house every day with a large rotty running up and down 30-40 yards away from him without lead or muzzle. Don't agree with it at all and i'm a dog owner too.

DBCyc wrote: »
    Then you would have said this...

Sorry, if I had realised how paranoid some people are about breeds, I might have.
    I personally wouldn't be able to tell them apart, I guess, but there you go:

I wouldn't approach anybody surrounded by 3 dogs that aren't on leads.

There's a guy who walks by my house every day with a large rotty running up and down 30-40 yards away from him without lead or muzzle. Don't agree with it at all and i'm a dog owner too.

Would you be bothered if it was a labrador,spaniel or collie? Doubt it, so why does it make a difference if its a rottie?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

Sorry, if I had realised how paranoid some people are about breeds, I might have.
    I personally wouldn't be able to tell them apart, I guess, but there you go:

I wouldn't approach anybody surrounded by 3 dogs that aren't on leads.
    you are required by your local council to keep a dog on a lead at all times and also have them datatagged and have an collar with owners contact details at all times

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

zeds alive wrote: »
    on the streets without any leads , Is he required to have them on a lead and if so who can I report him to for not doing it?

It is totally against the law to have dogs outside without any leads. Certain parks will allow it up to 11am.. Usually the smaller the dog
    the more aggressive they can be. Also people using these "stretch
    leads" are a nuisance, half the time the dog is miles away from the owner
    and you end up falling over the flippin lead !!!

seaniefr wrote: »
    you are required by your local council to keep a dog on a lead at all times and also have them datatagged and have an collar with owners contact details at all times

No you arent!! The law states your dog should be under effective control. Some places like parks etc might state that you have to have them on a lead but the general law doesnt, only have to be under control.

reeta wrote: »
    It is totally against the law to have dogs outside without any leads. Certain parks will allow it up to 11am.. Usually the smaller the dog
    the more aggressive they can be. Also people using these "stretch

No it isnt!! Seriously, where do people make up these laws??:confused:
    The law states that dogs have to be under effective control, not necessarily on a lead.

The only dogs who are required by law to be on a lead are the restricted breeds ones, thats all!!

See copy of the law below:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/sec0009.html

Just to clarify the above two:

Dogs on the restricted breed list are required to be walked on a short leash (<= 2m), with a muzzle and to wear a collar with a tag at all times.

All other dogs do not have to be on a lead in public, but must be under proper control. Parks and other places are allowed to enforce specific rules and bye-laws about the control of dogs in those places.

There is currently no legal requirement (unfortunately) for any dogs to be datatagged/microchipped.

Please lets not turn this thread into a RB/Non-RB discussion or lead/no-lead discussion. The OP asked for specific advice on what he should do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Even when it's asleep? What country do you live in? Sounds like a pretty draconian place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

andreac wrote: »
    Would you be bothered if it was a labrador,spaniel or collie? Doubt it, so why does it make a difference if its a rottie?
    Do you really need to be told that rotties have a bigger intimidation factor ???

Do you really need to be told that rotties have a bigger intimidation factor ???

No, but im sick of restricted breeds being targeted just for their breed. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Yes, and the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

No, but im sick of restricted breeds being targeted just for their breed. :mad:
    Tbh people's ignorance is not going to change any time soon , it's funny the different reactions I get when walking my Akita compared to when I am walking my sisters Rottie :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

If I was in your scenario I'd base my course of action on the impression I got of the guy.

If the guy seems reasonable and approachable, I'd go ask him would he mind useing a lead when he walks them. If you're not confident of doing that when he's with the dogs I'd call to his house or try to get his number of one of your other neighbours.

If he seems like he might take offence and might be less than reasonable about it, perhaps reporting it would wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

seamus wrote: »
    Any dog can cause a big wound, even a chihuahua. :)

Dangerous little feckers, you cant even see them coming!!!!!:mad: Sorry bad experience!!!!

They are a bulkie dog, even if they are friendly they can still blow you over accidently. Plus sadly the Omen movie did nothing good for the rep!!!
    Also people using these "stretch

Those things are terrible. You don't have control of the dog!

OP, I know the feeling. I live in an apartment complex and dogs are not permitted. But this guy walks his GS here daily, off the lead and right in the area that all the parents meet and let their children play. Now I am aaware GS's are a great dog and are reknowned for their patience and intelligence, but to be frank, he is in breach of the restricted breeds recommendations as well as allowing a large dog run around in general.

It is intimadating for a person to walk past large dogs let alone 3 on the restricted breeds list. Even if they are just big softies, as they seem to be if they all get along so well. It is a scary thing for some people who only ever hear the bad stories!

OP, is he the type that salutes you, if so he may be outgoing and you can talk to him. Just say you are aware not all of these breeds are as evil as their rep, but you are not comfortable with 3 large dogs around you, irregardless of their breed. If he is a good person and good onwer he will understand. If he gives a scumbag response, report him!

Even when it's asleep? What country do you live in? Sounds like a pretty draconian place.
    instead of pontificating about please feel free to have a look at the following link:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/animal-welfare-and-control/control_of_dogs/

instead of pontificating about please feel free to have a look at the following link:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/environment/animal-welfare-and-control/control_of_dogs/

I have already posted this link on this thread.

• Advertisement

from the above link:
    Stray Dogs

Stray dogs are dogs that are in a public place and are not accompanied by the owner or a responsible person. Dogs that are not under proper control are also considered stray dogs.

The Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 (S.I. No. 442 of 1998) impose additional rules in relation to the following breeds (and strains/cross-breeds) of dog in Ireland:
    • American Pit Bull Terrier
    • English Bull Terrier
    • Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    • Bull Mastiff
    • Dobermann Pinscher
    • German Shepherd (Alsatian)
    • Rhodesian Ridgeback
    • Rottweiler
    • Japanese Akita
    • Japanese Tosa
    • Bandog
    The rules state that:
    • These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be kept on a short strong lead by a person over 16 years who is capable of controlling them
    • These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must be muzzled whenever they are in a public place
    • These dogs (or strains and crosses of them) must wear a collar bearing the name and address of their owner at all times.

Advertisement