Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Squirrel

Options
  • 03-09-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

I would love to see a Red Squirrel, have never seen one except in pictures and tv.........any ideas on where to look, I live the Wicklow area but dont mind travelling.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

It's a long way from you but I saw one in the woods in Cong, Co Mayo a while back. If I actually go looking for them though I can never see any :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've seen them in the woods between Lough Dan and the road running partly along it's south west bank leading up from Oldbridge, past the Scout Camp. You can park there and walk along the road, which then turns into a track at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Used to see them at Glen of the Downs, don't know if the greys have taken over there yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I saw one in The Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

My last sighting was in Djouce woods (NE side of Djouce) near carpark at top of Long Hill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Thanks for all the replies, I guess its down to luck as well, but at least if I
    know there have been sightings then there is a chance! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Last place I saw one was in the woods at Lough Tay at the roadside. In Bray they are in the scots pines at the Killarney church road intersection and at the top of Killarney road at Hills garage. Plenty around enniskerry. Lord Masseys used to be a great palce for them, thats near Kilakee house, Dublin mountains. It is an elusive creature though and difficult to find. More likely to chance upon one.Wicklow is a good spot though, possibly the best county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Raven Nature reserve in Wexford is a good spot to see Red Squirrel. You might pick up on a few crossbill in the autumn if your lucky also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

You shouldn't need to travel that far Rainbowsend - the only two Red squirrels I've ever seen were both a few months ago in Wicklow.
    One was near the Avoca mines, at a peanut feeder in someones garden!
    The other was in the trees in Glendalough above one of the main walks near the info office.

Good luck!

Here's some photos of the one in Glendalough - well one photo of its tail, the other of it's head - put both together = one photo! (think its third photo down)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

I saw one in The Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin.....

Really? I had my eyes peeled and only grey ones could I see!

I heard St. Anne's park in Raheny has red squirrels. Anyone can confirm this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

Darlughda wrote: »
    Really? I had my eyes peeled and only grey ones could I see!

I heard St. Anne's park in Raheny has red squirrels. Anyone can confirm this?

yes, St. Anne's Park has them, i live fairly close by and have seen many there, and have been pretty close to them.
    On a walk around the park you would be unlucky not to spot one.

Thanks both MBLacey and Paulyh my thanks button doesnt seem to be
    working :)

Just need to get out there and start looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

no problem, this month should be a good month see them running around. They'll be stocking up supplies for the winter months during september.

:( Well I have seen my first Red Squirrel....squished on the road at Kilruddery. Shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bibio

I see Red squirels regulary in Coillte woods in the Roundwood, Annamoe and Rathdrum areas. I see them when out deer stalking. Rather worryingly though, I have seen grey encroach further every year. I saw two reds, in the trees just above Vartry house pub in Roundwood last year, and driving past there about two months ago I saw three greys in the same trees, and have since seen a few dead grey on the road in that area.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

I've spotted red squirrels at a number of locations around Vartry reservoir in Roundwood earlier this summer. I find its usually easier to spot them in the early morning sun.
    I run on the trails around the reservoir a lot and have never seen a grey squirrel in this area.
    BTW I saw a sign in the window of Roundwood post office asking for info on squirrell sightings locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

There used to be one in our back garden when i was a kid, came back all summer to wander around, the next year there was no sign of him, only a grey in his place....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

saw one in Ballina last Wednesdy, bringing a camera in the morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mr socco

I have seen many red squirrels recently in Cavan. Quite a few in only very sparsely wooded areas. Used to be quite a few greys but they've disappeared completely.

Have now seen 4 Pine Martens since last spring so I'm pretty sure they are eradicating the grey squirrel (who spend more time on the ground making them easier to catch). I'm sure the Pine Marten will eventually reach the east of the country. Has anyone seen any Pine Martens in the east??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Have seen a few in the place i work, its in Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

mr socco wrote: »
    Have now seen 4 Pine Martens since last spring so I'm pretty sure they are eradicating the grey squirrel (who spend more time on the ground making them easier to catch). I'm sure the Pine Marten will eventually reach the east of the country. Has anyone seen any Pine Martens in the east??
    You are correct, and when the martens will recolonise the east is the big question.
    Rinker wrote: »
    BTW I saw a sign in the window of Roundwood post office asking for info on squirrell sightings locally.
    Those posters are in various Post Offices around Wicklow, and if you read it again you will see they are interested in sightings of Red Squirrels and/or Pine Martens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

So if the Pine martin re-establishes himself does that mean the red squirell will too?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

There's a lot of them in Fota Wildlife Park and in Fota Gardens in Co. Cork. I often see them in the trees beside the railway tracks when on the early morning commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Really want to see a red squirrel, I haven't seen once since I was a child. To the earlier poster who mentioned St. Anne's Park in Raheny, I live near there and go walking there on a daily basis, it's overrun with greys I'm afraid. Hasn't been a red there for a few years I'm told.

I went up to the Vartry reservoir in Wicklow but didn't see any, no greys either which was good. None in Glendalough either last time I tried. Guess i'll just have to keep on looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Hi. I spotted one red squirrel in Knocknaboley and another in Corragh, both in the forestry last Sunday morning. Both these places are near Hollywood, Co. Wicklow.

Saw two today. At opposite ends of Lord Massey estate on the new Dublin Way. Both on the ground at short distance. Great to see that they're still there. Always saw them there 30+ years ago when we hiked there from Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

UCD apparently have a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bibio

user_offline.gifreport.gif
    I wasnt aware Martens were any less pletiful in the East, in suitable habitat than anywhere else. I have seen Pine martens regularly in Wicklow, and also in Kilkenny. They are definately in reasonable densities in Wicklow, I see about half a dozen sightings of them in an average year. I see them in various Coillte woods, both mixed broadleaf, and conifir but most sightings in the conifir woods. I see them while deer stalkng so tend to spot them at dawn or last light in the evening. In one spot where I have a high seat, I've seen a marten direclty below the seat, and he hasnt deceted me, really nice to see them going about their business.

Pine Marten, the one native mammal I've yet to see even though I'm in Wicklow. PM me a likely spot if you could.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

bibio wrote: »
    I see them in various Coillte woods, both mixed broadleaf, and conifir but most sightings in the conifir woods. I see them while deer stalkng so tend to spot them at dawn or last light in the evening. In one spot where I have a high seat, I've seen a marten direclty below the seat, and he hasnt deceted me, really nice to see them going about their business.
    Fill out this survey if you have a few minutes. They are looking for people like you. http://www.woodlandmammals.com/Survey.html

Advertisement