Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are GAA Players overrated?

Options
  • 24-08-2010 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭

I came across this article about Grainne Murphy's silver medal at the European Swimming Championships.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/swimming-a-talent-worth-waiting-for-2307309.html

Below is an extract from it.

Thoughts?

And it is dedication which makes Gráinne Murphy special, the kind of dedication which graphically illustrates the extent to which truly world-class sporting performers are a breed apart. That silver medal is built on a routine which has seen her getting up at half four in the morning to train for three hours before school and then returning for more training with national coach Ronald Claes and the University of Limerick high performance squad for another four hours in the afternoon. She trains seven hours a day, six days a week, 48 weeks a year. Four years ago, she moved to Limerick so she could benefit from the facilities there.

The concept of 'sacrifice' is much invoked in Irish sport, usually in relation to sportsmen who would never in a million years put themselves through what Gráinne Murphy does. How could they? Only a very small minority of people have the fanatical drive necessary to do so, and in a small country like Ireland they are few and far between.

We're a bit naive about world-class sport in this country, perhaps because our most popular games are played by part-timers. We look at the excitement furnished by the GAA, the crowds, the sense of occasion and we confuse it with genuine achievement. We cod ourselves that, in some strange way, our footballers and hurlers are 'world-class.' But they aren't, they can never be because they don't have to be.

Yet this misunderstanding means that we fail to realise just how hard it is to make a mark at world level. Because, in bigger countries with better facilities than ours, there are also youngsters with the same kind of obsessive dedication as Gráinne Murphy. And if she slackens off by even the smallest margin, they will be the ones who inherit the world which now seems to be within her grasp. When we wonder aloud why we're not winning more Olympic medals in glamour events, we're suffering from a failure of the imagination. It can be done, but it needs the sort of determination and talent which Gráinne Murphy brings to the table, something which touches the very outer limits of human capability. Last year, when the Irish swimming squad attended a gruelling week-long high altitude training camp in the Pyrenees, their physiotherapist suggested they might want to take things easy on the final day. Murphy told the physio, who hadn't worked with the team before, "On this team, we finish a hard week hard."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

What point are you trying to make?

They are amateur sportsmen / women who make a helluva lot of sacrifices for very little personal gain.

You should be looking at aiming this at the overpaid prima donnas across the pond who earn £100k+ a week.

It's a crap comparison as GAA players don't strive to make an impression at a world level and it's also our natural sport.

Swimming, like rallying (my favourite minority sport), will never get a good deal of support in this country due to tainted attitudes after Michelle de Bruin's scandal and the child sex abuse scandals of former swimming coaches.

By the way, I took one look at the author and it said it all. Sweeney is a poor journalist and likes to sensationalise a lot of things.

I've a lot of admiration for what Gráinne has achieved but to compare her regimes / achievements to those of GAA players is a nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

dcr22B wrote: »

They are amateur sportsmen / women who make a helluva lot of sacrifices for very little personal gain.

You should be looking at aiming this at the overpaid prima donnas across the pond who earn £100k+ a week.

It's a crap comparison as GAA players don't strive to make an impression at a world level and it's also our natural sport.

Swimming, like rallying (my favourite minority sport), will never get a good deal of support in this country due to tainted attitudes after Michelle de Bruin's scandal and the child sex abuse scandals of former swimming coaches.

I'm pointing out the fact that the media and general public in this country goes on about our GAA players as if they are world class and can be compared to the likes of Brian O'Driscoll, Roy Keane, Sonia O'Sullivan etc. They cant. They aren't even close. Too many people cant realise this.

I've a good deal of time for the efforts the GAA players put in. Just a bit annoying to see them being put up on the same pedestal as people who have to beat the whole of Europe/ World to be considered successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

By the way, I took one look at the author and it said it all. Sweeney is a poor journalist and likes to sensationalise a lot of things.

I've a lot of admiration for what Gráinne has achieved but to compare her regimes / achievements to those of GAA players is a nonsense.

Was just about to post exactly that. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

04072511 wrote: »
    I'm pointing out the fact that the media and general public in this country goes on about our GAA players as if they are world class and can be compared to the likes of Brian O'Driscoll, Roy Keane, Sonia O'Sullivan etc. They cant. They aren't even close. Too many people cant realise this.

I've a good deal of time for the efforts the GAA players put in. Just a bit annoying to see them being put up on the same pedestal as people who have to beat the whole of Europe/ World to be considered successful.
    Why can't gaa players be compared with these people? Because they don't get paid? For instance Henry Sheflin is one of the greatest hurlers of all time. So what if they game is only played in a few countries. He excels in his sport same as way as Roy Keane and Brian Brian O'Driscoll did and do respectively. We constantly hear how great Michael Jordan was. Why can't Henry be great?

I just used Henry as an example, there are plenty more GAA greats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I came across this article about Grainne Murphy's silver medal at the European Swimming Championships.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/swimming-a-talent-worth-waiting-for-2307309.html

Below is an extract from it.

Thoughts?

And it is dedication which makes Gráinne Murphy special, the kind of dedication which graphically illustrates the extent to which truly world-class sporting performers are a breed apart. That silver medal is built on a routine which has seen her getting up at half four in the morning to train for three hours before school and then returning for more training with national coach Ronald Claes and the University of Limerick high performance squad for another four hours in the afternoon. She trains seven hours a day, six days a week, 48 weeks a year. Four years ago, she moved to Limerick so she could benefit from the facilities there.

The concept of 'sacrifice' is much invoked in Irish sport, usually in relation to sportsmen who would never in a million years put themselves through what Gráinne Murphy does. How could they? Only a very small minority of people have the fanatical drive necessary to do so, and in a small country like Ireland they are few and far between.

We're a bit naive about world-class sport in this country, perhaps because our most popular games are played by part-timers. We look at the excitement furnished by the GAA, the crowds, the sense of occasion and we confuse it with genuine achievement. We cod ourselves that, in some strange way, our footballers and hurlers are 'world-class.' But they aren't, they can never be because they don't have to be.

Yet this misunderstanding means that we fail to realise just how hard it is to make a mark at world level. Because, in bigger countries with better facilities than ours, there are also youngsters with the same kind of obsessive dedication as Gráinne Murphy. And if she slackens off by even the smallest margin, they will be the ones who inherit the world which now seems to be within her grasp. When we wonder aloud why we're not winning more Olympic medals in glamour events, we're suffering from a failure of the imagination. It can be done, but it needs the sort of determination and talent which Gráinne Murphy brings to the table, something which touches the very outer limits of human capability. Last year, when the Irish swimming squad attended a gruelling week-long high altitude training camp in the Pyrenees, their physiotherapist suggested they might want to take things easy on the final day. Murphy told the physio, who hadn't worked with the team before, "On this team, we finish a hard week hard."

To finish of that sentence, it should read something like:

'...who work in [insert profession here] to earn a living, that allows them to travel to training, to better themselves and make the sport the spectacle that it is'.

Chip and shoulder comes to mind there. My cousin, who'd be same age as Gráinne Murphy, did a much tougher regime in sydney over the years. Fair play to them, they deserve their rewards. Doesn't mean ya take a pop at GAA players though.

I'm sorry but that's total rubbish.

GAA players are well able to compete on a fitness level with AFL players when they play the International Rules series despite the fact that most of them have to hold down a full time job yet train two/three nights a week and play matches at the weekend. The personal sacrifices that these guys make is immense and they don't have the backing of Swimming Ireland or Sports Council grants (well, the pittance that the GPA managed to get from some of them).

I'm impressed by Gráinne's commitment to the sport but she has a lot of backing behind her judging by the fact that she upped sticks and moved to Limerick. She'll hopefully bring us back a few medals from London in 2012 but to insult GAA players in this way is a bit out of order.

You try telling the Dublin players who trained at 6am and 6pm back on frozen pitches in January that they shouldn't be considered "world class" for showing that level of commitment and you'll be put in your place quick enough. These lads and many others who play inter county and club are "world class" in my book!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

would you not think rallying has good support in this country?

tom thum wrote: »
    would you not think rallying has good support in this country?
    It has great support in this country but not from the media. That's for another thread and forum entirely though.

By the OP, did you seriously think that you were going to get a favourable response from GAA forum users with a thread title like that anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

With a population of three million in a global population of six billion, how many world class athletes should we have?

1....2....?

I can't think of any right now to be honest.

(ps, I don't include golfers or jockeys as athletes; thats my opinion).

I think the closest we have is maybe Derval.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭rpurfield

for whats considered a sports mad country we are seriously under funded in giving athletes that compete on a world stage the right facilities to train in.but again thats another debate for another forum

Why can't gaa players be compared with these people? Because they don't get paid? For instance Henry Sheflin is one of the greatest hurlers of all time. So what if they game is only played in a few countries. He excels in his sport same as way as Roy Keane and Brian Brian O'Driscoll did and do respectively. We constantly hear how great Michael Jordan was. Why can't Henry be great?

I just used Henry as an example, there are plenty more GAA greats.

Ah here now. Henry Shefflin is an outstanding hurler. But that is all. An outstanding HURLER. To compare him to Michael Jordon, one of the most iconic sportspeople in the history of sport is laughable IMO.

The reason I say that GAA players cant be considered World Class is because it is so much easier to reach the top in GAA. Hurling is played to a decent level in no more than 10 counties, 11 tops, within 1 very tiny country. Football is played in every country in the world. Basketball is very global aswell. Massive in many parts of Europe, USA, Latin America and China.

It is so much harder for the likes of Roy Keane, Derval O'Rourke, Grainne Murphy etc to each the top of their respective sports than it is for Henry Shefflin to reach the top of his, and anybody who cannot see that is blinded by bias.

For most sports, winning an All Ireland is the start of something, while in GAA winning an All Ireland is as far as they will ever go. That is the difference. There are All Ireland Champions in every sport, we just dont bother to make a big deal of them in other sports because there are bigger fish to fry.

I like GAA, have watched the sport for years but as a follower of many sports I'm trying to look at this objectively and IMO I think GAA players are hyped up no end. It is only a debate. Everyone is free to disagree.

P.S. The comment regards the Aussie Rules is a bit irrelevant. They dont put out their first choice players and having been down in Australia and spoken to AFL fans I can tell you the International Rules is not taken seriously down there at all. It is an end of season holiday for the players who bother playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Ah here now. Henry Shefflin is an outstanding hurler. But that is all. An outstanding HURLER. To compare him to Michael Jordon, one of the most iconic sportspeople in the history of sport is laughable IMO.

The reason I say that GAA players cant be considered World Class is because it is so much easier to reach the top in GAA. Hurling is played to a decent level in no more than 10 counties, 11 tops. Football is played in every country in the world. Basketball is very global aswell. Massive in many parts of Europe, Latin America and China.

It is so much harder for the likes of Roy Keane, Derval O'Rourke, Grainne Murphy etc to each the top of their respective sports than it is for Henry Shefflin to reach the top of his, and anybody who cannot see that is blinded by bias.

For most sports, winning an All Ireland is the start of something, while in GAA winning an All Ireland is as far as they will ever go. That is the difference. There are All Ireland Champions in every sport, we just dont bother to make a big deal of them in other sports because there are bigger fish to fry.

I like GAA, have watched the sport for years but as a follower of many sports I'm trying to look at this objectively and IMO I think GAA players are hyped up no end. It is only a debate. Everyone is free to disagree.

P.S. The comment regards the Aussie Rules is a bit irrelevant. They dont put out their first choice players and having been down in Australia and spoken to AFL fans I can tell you the International Rules is not taken seriously down there at all. It is an end of season holiday for the players who bother playing.

I think a better way of looking at it is this:

Roughly the same amount of people in this country play GAA and Soccer. Roughly the same amount play Rugby and Hurling. As such, the talent pool that Rugby generates will be roughly the same as that of Hurling. If Brian O'Driscoll is a once in a lifetime Irish Rugby player, then Shefflin is a once in a lifetime Hurler. Thats the only way they can be compared.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thread Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

adrian522 wrote: »
    Thread Fail.

Is that some sort of Internet lingo for something?

Bill2673 wrote: »
    With a population of three million in a global population of six billion, how many world class athletes should we have?

1....2....?

I can't think of any right now to be honest.

(ps, I don't include golfers or jockeys as athletes; thats my opinion).

I think the closest we have is maybe Derval.

Derval O'Rourke, David Gillick, Olive Loughnane and Robert Heffernan are all World Class athletes.

Grainne Murphy in Swimming.

Numerous golfers (irrelevant that you dont personally count it as a sport as it is actually a sport)

Nicolas Roche in Cycling

Katie Taylor in Boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭bullpost

One thing we can be sure of is that those who play GAA do so purely for the love of the game as there is no substantial financial benefit in doing so.
    The same can't be said of Athletics so the article is flawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Big time. What a plonker, of the highest order. I ignore anything written by him, now. I was unfortunate to have read his pathetic effort at a fictional novel, where he stitched the life stories of four well known people and tried to infer they were all interconnected.

His sporting knowledge is limited, his opinions worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 KenJG

It is highly regarded by experts and sports psychologists alike that being a top sports person is transferable in that what seperates these people from "ordinary folk" is embedded in their genetic makeup, is unbelievable dedication to their chosen fields, an uncompromising willingness to win and most importantly natural talent.
    Eg. Jason Sherlock was a gifted soccer player but dedicated most of his time to football, what if this was reversed could he have been a world class soccer player?
    Same could be said of Kieran Donaghy in Basketball, Shane Horgan could have went the other way from Rugby to football.
    So can Gaa players be regarde as world class? Maybe not but only because the GAA is not a worldwide sport. But top class most certainly!

• Advertisement

Bill2673 wrote: »
    I think a better way of looking at it is this:

Roughly the same amount of people in this country play GAA and Soccer. Roughly the same amount play Rugby and Hurling. As such, the talent pool that Rugby generates will be roughly the same as that of Hurling. If Brian O'Driscoll is a once in a lifetime Irish Rugby player, then Shefflin is a once in a lifetime Hurler. Thats the only way they can be compared.

Maybe, but the difference between O'Driscoll and Shefflin is that after becoming the best in Ireland, O'Driscoll then has to go futher to be considered a great. He has to become one of the best in the world, while Shefflin's legendary status is secured merely from becoming the best in Ireland.

Rugby maybe isnt the best example though as that isn't played by very many countries in the World. 10 countries max.

Football and Athletics are the two most worldwide sports. The competition is fierce and to get to the top is extremely difficult. That is why we dont see very many world class Irish football players. Because they have to shine out among millions of others from every corner of the world.

bullpost wrote: »
    One thing we can be sure of is that those who play GAA do so purely for the love of the game as there is no substantial financial benefit in doing so.
    The same can't be said of Athletics so the article is flawed.

I'm sorry but that is bullsh1t. Derval O'Rourke got her funding cut from 40k a year to 20k a year after the Beijing Olympics and she lost her sponsorship with SPAR. She was living on close to minimum wage and there were times when she struggled to have enough for basics such as food.

Numerous Irish athletes dont even get funded. Ailis McSweeney travelled to Brussels at her own expense to get the qualifying time for the European Championships this year.

These guys also do it for the love of the sport.

Have a listen to David Gillicks devestation after losing the world indoors this year. He broke down on the radio. It means so much to him and is so passionate about the sport.

Other sportspeople are capable of loving their sport aswell ya know!! :rolleyes: The "passion" isnt unique to the GAA.

KenJG wrote: »
    It is highly regarded by experts and sports psychologists alike that being a top sports person is transferable in that what seperates these people from "ordinary folk" is embedded in their genetic makeup, is unbelievable dedication to their chosen fields, an uncompromising willingness to win and most importantly natural talent.
    Eg. Jason Sherlock was a gifted soccer player but dedicated most of his time to football, what if this was reversed could he have been a world class soccer player?
    Same could be said of Kieran Donaghy in Basketball, Shane Horgan could have went the other way from Rugby to football.
    So can Gaa players be regarde as world class? Maybe not but only because the GAA is not a worldwide sport. But top class most certainly!

Interesting point. But if we look at it another way. What IF GAA was a worldwide sport. How do we know the Americans, Canadians, Australians, Kenyans, Argentinians etc etc etc wouldnt be better than us if the sport was a global game and not confined to one tiny nation on the west of Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭who what when

Interesting point. But if we look at it another way. What IF GAA was a worldwide sport. How do we know the Americans, Canadians, Australians, Kenyans, Argentinians etc etc etc wouldnt be better than us if the sport was a global game and not confined to one tiny nation on the west of Europe?

If it was an international sport we wouldnt be the best or even close
    We'd probably be ranked 20-30

Have a listen to David Gillicks devestation after losing the world indoors this year. He broke down on the radio. It means so much to him and is so passionate about the sport.
    And GAA players aren't passionate?

Try telling that to the devestated Dublin players at the final whistle in Croke Park last Sunday.

I am struggling to find out what you are trying to achieve by coming on to a GAA forum and asking a question like that.

As a GAA fan (and I'm sure I'm not alone here), we'll defend our icons to the last.

You're taking one throwaway comment by a journalist and turning into something that you seem to just want to bait with a stick:

I don't think you'll find that GAA fans call the likes of Henry Shefflin, Colm Cooper and Bernard Brogan "world class" because they only perform on one stage and it's a big enough stage at that with games being followed all over the world by ex-pats.

Foreigners who have never experienced the sport are amazed by how AMATEUR sportsmen can exude such stamina, commitment and performance in lightning fast games (hurling especially)

Your argument about the International Rules might have some merit but the fact that we are able to compete with FULL TIME professionals speaks a lot for the commitment and preparation that GAA players put in these days for very little financial or personal reward.

I don't want this to turn into an Athletics/Swimming v GAA argument as both sports have their merits and it's great to see the likes of Derval, Gráinne and David Gillick represent our small nation so well by fightinmg above their weight given the dearth of facilities we have in this country.

And GAA players aren't passionate?

Try telling that to the devestated Dublin players at the final whistle in Croke Park last Sunday.

Hang on, where did I say that the GAA players aren't passionate. You are getting very defensive there.

I was merely stating a point that people in other sports can be just as passionate about their sports, in response to a fairly clueless comment by another poster that people only do athletics for financial gain.

What IF GAA was a worldwide sport.

What IF? WTF?

GAA will never be an international sport, it doesn't try to promote itself as an international sport. Granted it's played internationally but not to the same intensity that it's palyed at home. New York and London's performances in the Connacht Championship in recent years haven't exactly set the world on fire and to be hoenst, you'll never have a settled squad of players in these places OR anywhere in the world due to the emigration/repatriation statistics attached to Irish people.

An amateur sport like Gaelic football/hurling will never have the allure that sports like soccer and rugby enjoy so your point is completely superfluous to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder, GAA are our national sports, like baseball and american football are the national sports in america. The reason our football and hurling stars are so well regarded is because of how we love the sport... athletics is boring... im sorry but it is, besides the 100m, i couldn't name you more than 5 athletes in the world. Are you seriously suggesting that we shouldn't follow the GAA with as much passion because its not as "Tough" for those athletes to reach the pinnacle in their sports as other "WORLD" sports ?

I also have no doubts that many of the top GAA stars would be top soccer players (Im not saying world beaters, but even championship players in the EPL are top players)or athletes in other fields if there was no football or hurling in this country. We have had quite alot of top class soccer players over the years, and compared to football in this country... soccer has quite poor foundations.

Magill wrote: »
    athletics is boring... im sorry but it is, besides the 100m, i couldn't name you more than 5 athletes in the world.

Well that is nothing but personal opinion and is neither here nor there with regards the topic being discussed.

• Advertisement

Hang on, where did I say that the GAA players aren't passionate. You are getting very defensive there.

Too right, I'm getting defensive. You still haven't put across a valid point to your original argument to me. I'm finding it very hard to understand what you were trying to achieve with this thread so if I'm misunderstanding the crux of your argument, can you please enlighten me?

You're stating that GAA players are overrated but you're comparing them to something that they're not even trying to be - "world class".

Lest we forget that Pat Spillane and Bernard Brogan Sr won the Superstars series back in 1978/79 and went to the World Finals up against professional sportsmen and far from disgraced themselves given that they would not have had the same level of funding (if any at all to be fair) or time to train themselves as the professionals that they were up against.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement