Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[COMPETITION] Win a 7 night holiday in Majorca

Options
  • 16-08-2010 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

We have a great competition for you thanks to the lovely folks at alpharooms.com

Logo%283%29.jpg

You could win a 7 night holiday in the Pionero Hotel in Santa Ponsa, Majorca.
    hotel%20imagev1%282%29.jpg

The Pionero and Santa Ponsa Park Complex are situated in Santa Ponsa just 300 metres away from the beach and the nearest shopping centre.

Guests may enjoy the excellent facilities at both hotels including three adult swimming pools, two children’s pools and sauna.

The hotels entertainment team also supply a daytime and evening entertainments programme, suitable for all ages.

Guestrooms at the Pionero and Santa Ponsa Park Complex are comfortably decorated and come with all modern amenities that guests may need during their stay.

alpharooms.com is a leading website for discount worldwide travel. It offers some of the best deals available on the internet for discount hotels, flights and travel extras.

Currently celebrating 11 years of successful trading, the company continues to grow, with a portfolio of over 70,000 hotels and apartments worldwide.

alpharooms.com has a dedicated Irish site with flights from across Ireland, and prices in Euro.

So if you’re after a week in the sun, a short break in the country, or a weekend in a new city you will find the best value price online with alpharooms.com.

To be in with a chance of winning, just share your funniest holiday moment below. Whether at home or abroad we want something that will make us laugh at what happened. The story must be your own!

Go on - give us a laugh. Creative responses appreciated :D

Terms and conditions:
    • The Boards.ie prize is a pair of return flights in economy class from Dublin to Palma (Majorca), accommodation for 2 people sharing a room, for 7 nights on half board basis, staying at the Hotel Pionero (part of the Pionero and Santa Ponsa Park Complex), and also return transfers between the destination airport and the hotel in a shared shuttlebus
    • The holiday must be taken between 15th September 2010 and 31st October 2010
    • The competition is open to all Boards.ie members. The entries will be judged independently and no correspondence will be entered in to.
    • Persons entering the competition will be deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions. Only one entry per person will be permitted
    • This competition runs from 16 August until midnight on August 25th 2010 (the “Closing Date”)
    • The prize is non-refundable and non-transferable. No cash alternative will be offered.
    • No extras at any point in the holiday are included in the prize. All extras including travel insurance and other meals must be paid for by prize-winner. Winners are recommended not to travel without travel insurance.
    • All travellers must be over the age of 18 years at the time of entry
    • Entries must be strictly in accordance with these terms and conditions. Any entry not in strict accordance with these terms and conditions will be deemed to be invalid and no prizes will be awarded in respect of any such entry. Entries from agents/third parties are invalid.
    • Competition is not open to alpharooms.com staff or family members

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Pudding11

I dont think anyones holiday moment will be as funny to someone else as it was to them but here goes!
    I was on a trip to Sorrento, Italy about 10 years ago. I was 16 at the time and went there with my sister, her husband and her friend. From the start it was a disaster. Our holiday was on top of a mountain, it was a family run hotel that locked the doors at 9pm and the weather was not good (to be fair it was the start of November!). The funniest moment happened our second week there. The weather had improved a bit and we went into the main town in an attempt to find our way to the beach. We followed signs for the beach and ended up walking through a long tunnel - an underground road with a footpath. As we walked in one end, the sun was shining, by the time we got to the other end, the heavens had opened :-) There was a full blown storm happening with plenty of thunder and lightning. We stood inside the tunnel waiting to see if it would stop as we had no rain gear with us at all. Suddenly we realised the road in the tunnel was becoming a river, the road was slanted down towards us and a great wave of water was heading our direction! We ended up being stuck in there for nearly an hour but luckily had a video camera to record our adventure and had a great time laughing at it later that night. Only problem was the hotel owner told us to keep the noise down. who knew you couldnt laugh in your room at 8pm in the evening :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I was on holidays 2 years ago in Gran Canaria with my boyfriend, my best friend and her boyfriend.
    We all went to the water park as we all love things like that.
    Myself and my friends boyfriend decided to go on this ride dubbed the toilet bowl - actually called the Tornado. http://www.aqualand.es/grancanaria/atracciones.php

We sat in the figure 8 ring, I was in the back and Doug in the front, we were sent down the slide. Now what's supposed to happen is: you circle around the big bowl and drop down a hole to a mini slide.

What actually happened is: we were sent down the slide, we circled and ended up wedged at the side, so the two of us were trying to use our feet to get off- to no avail.
    Then we noticed another pair circling the bowl, they went down no problem, we were still stuck :) There were signs clearly stating do not get out of the ring, so we were doing our best not to, next thing *duusssh* someone circling hit us and knocked us off where we were stuck, grand we though, got half way around and got wedged right at the side of the drop, the same people who had knocked us off were now stuck too behind us. The way it was looking was that if they pushed us- I was going down back first down this steep slide, and I was having none of it. My back was already sore from other slides.

We were now stuck in here for what seemed like an hour but was about 10 minutes and had seen people come and go :)

The people behind is were pushing, the pushed us closer to the hole, then one of them had to get out of their ring to hold our ring while myself and Doug changed places. All the while another ring was stuck behind them.
    We eventually went down the slide and got a massive round of applause of people waiting for the rings :D

My friend later told me that it was all recorded by a man in the viewing area where she was. I am yet to find the video :D

Hmm it dosn't sound as funny when it's written but was hilarious when it was happening :D

Pic attached :)
    124275.jpg

I'm the one sitting in the bowl and Doug is helping me into the ring again.

Ah fun times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

Looking back on it, it's funny now but sorta wasn't at the time;

End of J1 Summer blowout and Vegas was the destination. Decided we'd hire a car out there and drive out to the Grand Canyon. No bother we say; sure we'll just key it into the GPS. Mother of Jaysus. The ****ing nearly killed us. Death escape number one came when after driving along this road for ages we drive into an Indian reservation, Not one of them spoke English. They got into the car and everything; absolutely crazy stuff fecking miles from civilisation. Managed to escape them nearly knocking down 10 Indians in the process.

The worst is over we thought. Not for a bleeding second was it. Keyed in Grand Canyon again into Betsy and off we went. Then the road stopped. Faced with the decision of turning back and admitting defeat or else continuing on the dirt track in our rented Hyundai you know which option we took. Drove for about 1 hr through what I can only describe as the most barren deserted desolate place I've ever been. The lads were goosed in the back and here was I the only one concerned that [a] We had half a tank of petrol left We were an hour from civilisation if the car broke down/crashed/exploded and [c] It was 40 degrees celsius outside. All the those factors meant that had anything happened we probably would have died and been ripped asunder by coyotes.

But.... we made it eventually and man was it worth it. Spectactular. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

So funniest moment that's ever happened to me when I was on Holidays was when I was a child going on a family holiday.

It was the first time my brother had been on a plane, he was 5 years old at the time, and for this my parents had told him there was nothing to worry about.

So we get to the airport and my father tries to describe to myself and my brother how a plane flies through the air. So as you can guess this is easier said than done for a 5 year old. My brother doesn't really understand atall but being that age he understands that it needs to go forward to take off.

So anyway we eventually board the flight and take out seats. Myself, my brother and my mother all sitting in one aisle having a window seat and everything. So the plane takes off no problem and we fly away to the holiday.

Now as we come in to land the plane seems to reach a little bit of turbulence. The plane starts to shake around a small bit and my mother tells my brother not to worry everythings going to be ok and we'll be landing soon. But the plane continues to shake as we come down to land.

Suddenly though the plane stops shaking and it jumps in our seats. At this my brother screams out at the top of his voice:

'OH MY GOD, WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE'

My mother bursts out laughing and my brother starts crying like a mad thing.

Needless to say we did land safetly but ever since then it's a running joke in the family that my brother is scared of flying.

So please let me win the holiday, I'll bring the brother and have a good go at him again for his 'fear' of flying.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Gotta be gay pride day in San Francisco.

Just one of the many snaps. My mate is called Adam and i'm Steve priceless photo. :D

Our gnome Micheál was 'borrowed' from a garden in Dublin and travelled with us for 3 months. *

Be a nice break got no holidays this year, workin too hard.

124277.JPG
    124278.JPG

he never made it home in the end :o but we replaced him with another larger one under cover of darkness when we got home.
    I can only imagine the look on the owners face when she saw the new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

When I was about fourteen or fifteen, I went on a two week holiday with my parents and younger sister to Puerto del Carmen in Lanzarote. It was late May, so without any other teenagers around as they were still in school, I had to make my own fun. In the hotel in the evening time there was entertainment provided by the resident "Animacion" group- about five young European guys and girls. I fell for one of the guys, a sallow skinned Lothario from Holland, and was convinced he'd have something to do with an awkward teenager! Of course he hadn't even noticed me, but I had watched him every evening and pined for him, and gazed at him acting as lifeguard beside the hotel pool everyday.

By the second week of the holiday, my Dutch Lothario had still not noticed me, despite my efforts to wink and jump into the swimming pool in what I thought was an attractive manner (pencil dive accompanied by girlish scream). So around day eleven, I developed a plan. I strolled along the edge of the pool in my shorts and t-shirt, and dramatically threw myself in whilst holding my breath to ensure I could stay below the surface for as long as possible. When I surfaced, I flailed about screaming "HELP! HELP!" and gasping theatrically. My Dutch Lothario flew into action, diving into the pool and pulling me out, where I lay on the tiles thinking all my birthdays and Christmases had come together. From what followed, I reckon my Lothario had never saved a "drowning" person before, or my feigned unconsiousness was so convincing that he felt he needed to slap me very hard across the face. I bolted upright, screaming with shock and pain, of course with all the bystanders and my handsome lifeguard realising I had been acting all along. The lifeguard was furious, and was shouting at me telling me how dangerous it was to pretend to drown and that I was a silly little girl, what was I trying to do? To make matters worse, when I thought my poolside-cred could go now lower, my father grabbed me by the arm, roared at me in the face and marched me back to the apartment where I was not allowed to leave for the remainder of the holiday, except to deliver a handwritten apology to the traumatised lifeguard. Sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Has to be when I went to Turkey I would have been about 10 or so, crazy excited, first holiday out of Ireland and straight into sweltering heat, we were nervous as the van to the hotel was a bit dodgy and narrow roads up high mountains but we got there in one piece ecstatic as I was went up unpacked our stuff and said we would go down for a swim, I sprinted down we got a sun chair and I hopped into the pool, of course not looking where I was jumping jumped right into the deep end and unable to swim, of course I panicked arms all over the place and screaming, my dad (reluctantly) jumps in, in his fancy shirt and sun glasses, and I had to be dragged out of the pool. Good times :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

On holiday in Lanzarote in Rancho Texas end we all had a ball drunk as skunks trying badly to line dance.

One of the lads starts getting into the stride of things and thinks he has this whole line dancing malarky down so starts trying to show boat. Crowd notice this and start cheering him on.

SO he gets cocky and his drunked feet are a little too fast for the rest of his body to catch up so he does a massive stumble across the dance floor for about 30 feet clips a chair and goes arse over tits and ends up face first in a cactus plast.

Cue a visit to the hospital at 2am in the morning while he got 28 spikes taken out of his face and hands.

He's not tried line dancing since ........... such a shame :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Wasn't funny for me, but was seemingly hilarious for anybody watching.

Went swimming with whale sharks in Shark bay Western Australia and after we found one (spotter planes looking for them feeding at the surface) we went over to it. I was the last person to jump in and ended up in front of this feeding Whale Shark. Trust me when I say, they have big bloody mouths. I knew I was in little danger, but I still freaked out a bit, and shouted, screamed, flailed my arms, tried to swim, breathe, not drown and not get eaten all at the same time. The Whale Shark calmly dove down to quieter depths while everyone had a good laugh at my expense, until we couldn't find another whale shark and had to call off that portion of the cruise. Needless to say they weren't best pleased with me.

Then we went to the reef (Ningaloo reef I think it was called) and swam with reef sharks. While we were snorkeling looking at these sharks feeding (there were about 1-1.5m, so small, but they were sharks and bloody scary looking) a few of them came up to have a look at us. One in particular came at me. I lost it again and swam as fast as I could back to the boat. In my mind I was being chased all the way by a shark bigger than Jaws, but I guess the reality is that after I made a racket the shark would have swam away. When I got back I was so knackered from having swam so fast and in such a paniced state, that I couldn’t get back into the boat so they had to lower a ladder for me. Again cue a lot of laughing at my expense.

Still have nightmares about the whale shark. All I keep seeing is that wide open mouth coming to swallow me, so it wasn't funny for me, but everyone else laughed so that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Many funny things happened to us on holidays.

The one that sticks out in my mind was in Majorca. We met up with these 2 other lads and we were all 15 at the time. One of the other lads called Trevor was mad. He was dying to do karaoke and at this time it was 3 minutes to 11 and we had to be back to the hotel for 11. He persuaded us to go and do it in a karaoke bar and we sang the Irish Rover. Eventually we made it back for 11.

A funny night worth remembering.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Went to a visit a friend in Aachen, Germany last year. Flew to Charleroi with the girlfriend and rented a little Opel Corsa. It was my first time driving on "the wrong side" but felt I got hold of it pretty quick.

Picked my friend up from his office and we went for dinner, again commenting on how i felt like a duck taking to water for the first time with this crazy driving the continentals do! Saturday I drove to Frankfurt on the Autobahn and again no problems, my confidence was sky high, until Sunday.. myself, my friend and my girlfriend went to a breakfast buffet in a hill top restaurant above Aachen. So being in almost home mode I drifted back to the left side of the road when I was descending, chatting to the 2 other passengers no one noticed and as i went round the next bend met a car coming up the hell and ended up driving off the hill and flipping the car a couple of times, thankfully we were all wearing seatbelts and more thankfully I took out the additional insurance provided by the rental
    company!!
    5190_96950814844_545004844_2038037_5645222_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭roroduff

My mam, mam's friend and I decided to spend a night in mams friends summer house in Wexford. We had a lovely lunch in Gorey and decided to go to Ballymoney beach after because it was such a nice day. My mam and I love to go for a paddle to cool down but I only rolled my jeans up to my knee and mam had a skirt on so we couldnt go too deep.

In we went along the edge of the water but my mams friend wouldnt get in at all so after a while of trying mam just decided to try splash her but what ever why she kicked the water her skirt was tighter than she thought so she fell in but as she was falling she grabbed me with her, so there we were both soaked, phones ruined but my mams friend thought it was so funny. I wasnt impressed at the time but I suppose it was harmless and I needed a new phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 poppums

My Boyfriend will kill me for revelaing the secret I promised Him that I would take to my grave..!!

Four years ago I booked a holiday with my BF & My brother
    We were a little short on cash so we decided to book a 2 bedroom apt rather than 1 apt each to try save some €€€'s

On our first night the 3 of us went out for some beers which turned into MANY, MANY more beers & the 3 of us fell back to the apt.

I woke up with the most awful hangover the next morning and I was totally confused when I turned around to find that my BF was not beside me in bed.

I started to panic thinking we had lost him in a drunken haze the night before but it was then to both my relief & horror that I found my BF fast asleep in bed beside my BROTHER..!!

My poor BF had gotten up out of bed in the middle of the night to use the bathroom & went back to what he thought was our bed but instead ended up wrapped around my brother for the night thinking it was me..!!

To this day I am still gutted that I did not take a picture of the two of them Spooning in bed.

Needless to say there was alot less San Miguels drank by both of them for the remainder of the holiday

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭seany76

a few years ago now i went to dubai with my dad - while we stayed in a nice hotel we couldnt afford the 7 star hotel.
    we discovered though that you can go for afternoon tea there - we sent our fax to confirm our reservation and set off in our best suits on the bus - ( you getting a theme here :P)
    arrived at the hotel and driven by golf cart to the main door where what seemed like thousands of bell boys waited to help in anyway.

took the escalator up to the main reception passing the aquarium along the way - with a man inside cleaning the tank who waved at us - not many people noticed

took a lift then to the top floor - amazing views!

a nice waitress came over and showed us the menu - the selection was enormous - out of the thousands of teas available i chose the only one they didnt have !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Nellsbells

I was in Orlando 2 years ago with my boyfriend, and we decided to go to the water park for the craic! We went on all the slides and had great fun.......until I attempted to do the water skiiing........
    I was all set to go, life jacket on and had my board ready. I saw all these 10 and 12 year olds gliding across the water on their boards and reckoned it wud be simple!!!(I was 23)
    My turn came around, I jumped onto the board, grabbed onto the rope and was delighted with myself, with the crowds looking on.
    Next minute, the board disappeared from under me, I was getting dragged along sideways along the top of the water with one hand clingin onto the rope , and trying to cling onto my shorts with my toes!!!! Pants were GONE!
    The instructor was screamin at me to LET GO of the rope!!! but I was so determined to get across the water like the 12 year olds... instead I ended up nearly getting hit in the head by the next water skiier,
    searching for my shorts in the water and doing a walk of shame down the pier in front of loads of proud parents with their camcorders! I just hope its not on youtube!
    Reminder to girls.....
    NEVER , EVER WEAR TWO PIECE SWIMMING TOGS WHEN DOING WATER SPORTS HA HA :eek::eek::eek:
    Picture attached of where the embarrassment happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭alan85

pd2120568.jpg

They say learning a language is a good thing and it is... But cultural and lingo differences can make for interesting interactions! I was out one night, got drunk and asked some Spanish people to teach me some bad language.

So, I was taught you use "me cago en la puta virgen" when your team misses a goal or you drop a plate. I asked more about this. It literally means "I do a no. 2 on the Blessed Virgin". I was fascinated by this 'cause I thought Spain was very much into it's Catholicism. I'm easily amused by the way.

Anyways, later we were walking to their car as I was hitching a lift off them back to where I was staying. On the way to the car I find a traffic cone. And what does one do when drunk and with a cone? Well, I started using it as a megaphone!

So, started off with 'HOLA, QUE TAL?!' - 'Hello, how are ya?!' and sort of waving at some car park attendants.

It later progressed into 'Joder, me cago en la puta virgen!' which is what you would say when watching your losing team miss a goal. Only after saying this I looked up........ and who was there looking disgusted at me?

Only a priest in full garb!

The spanish lads didn't let it down. They couldn't stop laughing and to this day we keep in touch.

Spain... Great country!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Funnily enough this happened in santa ponsa.. first holiday away with the girls, been out a few nights and we're all wrecked and wanted to take it easy, except 1 girl. she got in a bad mood with us all for being boring and stormed off.. only to be egged by some guys on her way down the road :pac: poor girl had to come back to us covered in egg :pac: she quite literally had egg on her face :D

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

My story is one from a couple years back when myself and two friends headed off to Greece for the summer. We spent 8 weeks Island hopping on the various Islands. At the end of this we headed to Crete to meet up with some friends who were on a standard holiday on the island. With very little money remaining we got a ferry to the Island and began our search for a hotel room. We needed it to be cheap!

Anyway, we were advised to try a hotel in Piskopiano which we were told should have free rooms at a decent price. So we went in and the nice lady who owned the building said " yes, yes...come come I give you nice room"... As she lead us to the room the first thing we noticed was the pool, which had no water in it, just cockroaches... As the owner opened our room door, she said " I need some help"..Inside, was furniture stacked up to the ceiling and a dirty floor, unmade beds. It looked horrible but we had no choice as it was all we could afford...

Anyway one of the lads, said he was bursting to use the toilet as his stomach was not too good...So off he goes into the bathroom and locks the door behind him...meanwhile myself and the buddy are sitting around laughing at the horrible conditions of the room. Some girls pass by our door and we catch their attention, so as their Irish they come up to talk to us...We invite them in and they are sitting in our room having a bit of craic...

Next thing my buddy rushes out of the toilet with a panic look on his face and says I lost my phone. We all look at him, and he was kind of surprised to see girls in the room with us. I says what. He runs back into the toilet and comes out again and says my phones gone. Where? I flushed it. What? He runs back in. Out he comes again. I'm like what? He sits with his face in his hands, at this stage we all have have tears streaming down our face. What? I ask. He says...I was sitting on the toilet (get the picture eek.gif) and I stood up when done and the phone fell in. I said "well why didn't you grab it?". It was in slow motion and he hesitated redface.gif to reach in and as he watched it go round and round, then down. He says it made a great sucking noise. Well we all burst out laughing. What a nice way to meet some new friends. Needless to say, all the girls continued to mock him about it for the rest of the holiday....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Watching the missus Zipline across a pool in Spain.. Only to see her fall off it as soon as she stepped off the ledge, the crash from her hitting the pool had everyone up off their sun loungers and even made the little kid beside me start crying... She had to swim all the way out with the whole pool watching her (about 500+ people) Her back was red raw from where she hit the pool... her front was just red from embarrassment.. Needless to say, being the evil swine I am, I laughed for the rest of the holiday!! It was about 5 years ago, I think she's still mentally scarred from it... It was also the last time we where on a summer holiday.. It'd be insanely wicked if I managed to win this and surprise her with some sunshine!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

When i went to France about 10 years ago with my family, we were in a small town along the west coast.

My parents were determined to make sure we saw as much of the native area as possible and as such we were dragged everywhere withing a 30 mile radius that would leave a cultural "impact" on us.

So on one of these many excursions my brother happened to spot an large empty playground hidden within the town we were in. After spending the day looking at Streets and French words on ordinary supermarket items, this was blessed relief for us.

The playground itself looked a little aged but had quite a large selection of things to play with. Of these, my sister found what can best be described as a spider on a 45 degree angle with little cages at the ends of the legs. My sister climbed in one on the ground while my dad stood between two of the ones in the air and, with the smile of a man who knows he's doing the best for his daughter, gives it an almighty push to get it turning for her. Unfortunately he forgot about the one behind him which subsequently left him with a letterbox in the back of his head!

Falling around the place laughing at this and watching my dad swear for the first time in years, I go looking for my brother to tell him what happened. He has climbed to the top of a slide about 15 metres tall. The slide has an odd structure of sliding 45 degrees for a while and then dipping down to about 80 degrees with about 7 or 8 dips, The attachement shows a crude MS paint job :)

My brother is roaring the family to watch as my mother and sister are fretting over my father but eventually and irately my mother shouts "we're watching!"

My brother proudly launches himself down the slide until he gets to the first dip. Instead of sliding down the dip, he has generated enough speed to fly straight off the slide and bounce off every dip until he lands at the bottom in a small head whimpering. My dad has completely forgetten at this stage he's still bleeding as everyone is falling over laughing at my brother who demanded we watch his performance :)

NOW we know why the playground was abandoned :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

This one could double up as my most embarrassing moment, but as I’m in desperate need of some relaxation I’ll share my shame with you all.

About 15 years ago we all crammed into the family car for the yearly holiday in France, we usually hit 2 or 3 campsites over the space of a 2 week period. This time my parents had splashed out for a mobile home….luxury! 

One particularly hot day, as we all sat around complaining of the heat like typical Irish holiday makers, afraid to put one toe out in the son for fear of melting, I had a brainwave.
    I opened the door of the freezer and stuck my head in….you can probably see where this is going. Feeling a sudden gush of refreshing icy air, I let out the obligatory “ahhhh” and doing so stuck my tongue out. Bam….stuck to the freezer shelf. From the other end of the mobile, my mother, only seeing the door of the freezer and me half in half out of it, was shouting “Close that door, the freezer will de-frost”…..and me replying with increasingly panicky “ugh ugh ugh”. Eventually, after what seemed like forever, she got up to see what was wrong….follow the scream of “OH JAYSUS!” , and a frantic mothers knee jerk reaction…yes she did…she put one hand on my forehead and another on my chin and pulled! OUCHIEEEEEE!! The tip of my tongue remained in the freezer, while we fell back into a pile on the floor, taking with us my brother and father who at this stage had come to investigate the commotion!

They all laughed, I cried, with a throbbing bleeding tongue…..adding insult to injury was my Dad, through tears of laughter, offered me a piece of ice to soothe my tongue!!

(Karma struck the next day though, as I couldn’t talk properly, when they asked my where the keys of the car were, they misheard me thinking I had them when in fact they were in the boot of the car….we drove to the ferry with a piece of plastic over a smashed window!! LOL)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 instofhorror

Did the usual inebriated tour to the states with a mate while on summer break from college. Hit Vegas after a hard circuit, and as it was the last stop on our trip, we were pretty much broke, and travelling extremely light. Fairytale start to the night, won some money at blackjack, got locked on the free booze, went and drank some more, and in great form (!) at this stage, took a notion that I'd hit some of the clubs. At this stage I'd lost my mate, but knew there was no doubt he was in a similar state to myself. Anyway, decided on a suitable joint (cant remember names etc), but only had white runners on - no chance of getting into this place with those. Luckily, I had anticipated such a predicament, and had worn black socks. Now, in my enlightened state, I took my shoes and socks off, before replacing my shoes and putting the socks on over them.

Bearing in mind I was pissed and there were quite a few people observing me, I had a bit of an interested audience in those queueing behind me, particularly given my assurances that 'alwaysh worksh, wait til ya see...'. Going great guns, straightened myself up rightly, and was looking forward to strutting my stuff, until I reached the top of the queue: Keen to show the bouncer just how sober I was, I started some idle chit-chat. Upon hearing my accent however, he turned and stared at my feet, then beckoned me to the side and asked me (as loud as he could) what to **** I was doing with socks outside my shoes (The massive queue was absolutely killing itself at this stage). I shrugged and said '**** it, usually works', to which he replied, prob would have worked tonight as well but we caught your mate trying it ten min ago!'

Certainly did my bit to reinforce perceptions of the irish that night!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

My funniest holiday story was when I was 11 years old. We were in Lanzarote and one evening we(my, the parentals and my older brother) decided to have a game of crazy golf. Being the competitive soul I am we agreed that whoever came last would have to jump into the pool fully clothed, as well as write a statement outlining that they were the inferior family member.
    Anyway we get under way and we get through the first few holes grand, everyone in and around the same score. I step up to the 5th hole. It seemed simple, I just had to fire the ball up a ramp, over a gap, and down the other side. Anyway I hit the ball and it doesn't clear the gap, Instead of dropping 3 shots and trying again I was determined to save the shots and get the ball out myself. I smash it a few times and it keeps rolling around in the gap. The family gather around, pressure mounts. The brother notes even the slightest tap of the ball as a shot. Five frantic club swinging minutes later I rack up a score of 62 over par on a 3 shot hole. And a very red face. I finally got the ball in the hole.

Then on the last hole it happened again. I was despairing at this stage. It was a volcano, you had to hit it up the ramp and into the crater. The others did it in one shot. not me. It took 50. So humiliating. My family were not humble in victory. Anyway when we were giving the clubs back, the Spanish man innocently asked how we did. He found my score (over 200, my brother who won got a score of 57 I think) hilarious and insisted on taking a photo of me holding my score card to put on his wall of fame shame. He even called over all his assistants! :(
    When we got back to the hotel my brother went into the bar and told everyone what had happened and invited them to watch me jump into the pool. A good 50 people gathered to watch me duly jump in amid gales of laughter. I was not a happy camper. Luckily they deemed I had suffered enough and did not make me write the letter! I still get slagged about it all this time later!

Although it was not funny for me at the time, I cannot think of it without laughing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Coming to the end of a 2 week tour around Asia, myself and 4 mates ended up on the Kho Shan road in Bangkok. We were fairly pickled with alcohol after the previous 2 weeks, but decided as it was our last night before traveling home, we'd go out with a real session.

I woke up with a half a tooth missing, no skin on one knee, and my entire calf covered in a fresh tattoo with no recollection of what happened. Here's how it went down.

One of the guys had been here before, and recommended the Shamrock bar which was across from our Hotel. They served something called a Whiskey Bucket, which is a coal bucket, with lots of whiskey inside, coke, and the local equivalent of Red Bull. It's meant to be shared between a few people. So, at 12.45, we popped in and asked for a whiskey bucket. The little guy behind the counter asked "1 bucket 5 people?", and we said "No, 5 buckets 5 people". Then last call came quickly, and the lights flashed. We thought it would be like home, you finish your drink in your own time, but we were told to either drink up in one go, or leave it behind. So we did the sensible thing.

I don't really remember much of what happened as the night went on, but apparently I went missing. The boys found me at 3am stripping down the carburetor on a TucTuc for a taxi driver who couldn't get his bike to run, and watched me giving it a push start. It took off, I fell down, cracked my jaw on seat railing on the rear, and scuffed most of the skin off my knee. Then I went missing again.

The guys found me at 5 am inside a tiny Tattoo studio under the Shamrock Bar and took photos of me picking out what looks like a tribal fish Tattoo. It's the entire height of my calf, and nearly goes all the way around. The photos show the guy doing it, and the only thing I can say is that he's like the Thai version of Sloth from The Goonies, eyes more googly than your favourite search engine, and about 7 teeth. There's even video footage of the guys flicking the lights on and off really quickly while I'm getting it done in the hopes he'd make a mistake.

So bit of a mental night, and having to get a flight home 6 hours later with the mother of all hangovers, fresh Tattoos, mouth in agony over the broken molar, and my knee wrapped up in a bandage didn't really come close to explaining to the other half how it all happened, or convincing her to let me on holidays with the same guys in the future.

So c'mon alpharooms.com, let me make it up to Mrs PD by taking her on a nice holiday this year :)

124324.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 summerhead

I stayed in Annagassan once. It wasn't funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

My wife and I got married on 30th December in Dublin ( quite a few years ago) and at the time we lived in England . We came home for X-mas , had the stag and hen etc, got married and then were flying Dublin to Birmingham and then onward to Lanzarote.

We had quite a lot of luggage (about 60kg ) from memory and while queing for security in Birmingham I ended up about 4 people behind my wife in the queue . My wife had a small bag of mine and next thing I knew was the a security guy wielding a beard and a turban was holding up an object he had taken from my bag and asking my wife questions about it. A few people around were tittering so I had to skip the queue and join my wife to explain . The quy was holding up and turning the box around and around to examine it ! My wife and I just exploded laughing as did a number of people beside us. The object in question was a joke bell bar shaped willie exerciser that a friend of mine gave me at the stag night and it had somehow got packed in my hand luggage..

When we explained what it was the now embarrassed security guy quickly sent us on our way. I don't think we ever had more fun going through airport security in our lives !

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

I remember being very youngand being on a holiday in Santa Ponsa funnily enough, and I decided to pee in the pool

However there was a bridge overlooking the pool that went to a different part of the complex.....

Basically a girl on this bridge shouted ewhhhhhhhhh he’s peeing in the pool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! que a hundred people starring at me

Thought my mam could have died with embarrassment!!! hahahaha

ps. I no longer pee in pools

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Miss Dymph

My family and I were on a family trip to Killarney many years ago when i was younger than 10 anyway and 'nature called' so dad pulled into the side of the road. My sister hopped a farmers gate and went in to conduct natures business and i followed to have a chat more than anything (odd i know but i was 10 and weird).. Well she dropped her trousers in the corner and i thought it would be so hilarious to push her over so she would wet her trousers :) Well....push her over i did and in she went, ass cheeks first into an electric fence. A loud jolt to the bottom gave her a long long red welt the width of her ass and when she recovered, with trousers down she chased me across the field!! Its just as well the farmer didnt come along!

3 years old or so, and me and my family are camping in France. Somehow, I manage to get my ass stuck in a bucket. My dad, instead of helping me out, goes off, gets the camera, and takes a picture of me, all while laughing at me!

Probably more funny to me and my family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tanoone

HORRIFICALLY FUNNY

Camping at Glyfada outside Athens . Left bottom of tent slightly open for air when gone for night . Came back , zipped myself in with boyfriend ,only to realise we were not alone .There was a RAT in there too. Our neighbours thought we were being slaughtered on hearing the screams and it seemed to take aneternity to get out . I'm still traumatised when I remember it or see a campsite .
    I'd say this story could win beacuse my friends and family found it hilarious for some reason !

Advertisement