Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A word of warning for those with new Desires

Options
  • 08-08-2010 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

People with Desires bought recently (August 1st onwards) should know that their phone comes with an SLCD and not an AMOLED screen. This in itself isn't what i'm warning you about. All the new SLCD phones come with HBOOT 0.83 and HBOOT 0.92 which cause issues if you try and root.

If you root a HBOOT 0.83 or HBOOT 0.92 phone your phone display will stop working in all modes. If you'd like to root your phone then you must set the following as a custom recovery in unrevoked

http://crop.floodbit.org/~defer/recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.1-bravo-slcd.img

Trying to flash the normal recovery menu using unrevoked will disable your phone's screen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

God you scared the hell out of me:eek:

Will keep that in mind don't think i'll be rooting it for a while anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Should maybe be stickied

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

is SLCD better or worse than AMOLDED?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Wasnt HBOOT 0.83 included in the latest OWA 2.2 updates for desires regardless of when bought?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Wasnt HBOOT 0.83 included in the latest OWA 2.2 updates for desires regardless of when bought?
    I believe it was 0.92 (But I may be wrong)

Those that did OTA updates aren't going to be rooting anyway so it doesn't really apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Nekro Man wrote: »
    is SLCD better or worse than AMOLDED?

Sounds like the slcd screen are replacing the amoled screens to allow HTC to ramp up production. Are they inferior?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭kippy

groom wrote: »
    Sounds like the slcd screen are replacing the amoled screens to allow HTC to ramp up production. Are they inferior?

I had heard that these new screen were better in sunlight, but I could be completly incorrect in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

AFAIK, the new screens are better in sunlight but the Colors aren't as good.

• Advertisement

Spanx, im terarded, how did you sort that??

Spanx, im terarded, how did you sort that??

You just snip the video code (the code after the v=) from the url and put it into youtube tags.

Ha, cheers!

hobochris wrote: »
    AFAIK, the new screens are better in sunlight but the Colors aren't as good.
    And there's a bit of backlight leak as well.

Just an update

Those with HBOOT 0.83 can now root safely using this method.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=748618

Those with HBOOT 0.92 cannot (As of yet) root their phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

i was going to buy a desire within the next few weeks,should i still buy it? or are the new screens crap?

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    i was going to buy a desire within the next few weeks,should i still buy it? or are the new screens crap?
    They're better than AMOLED for sunlight readability. Worse for colours though.

They're better than AMOLED for sunlight readability. Worse for colours though.

battery is better too;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

i might just go for the samsung wave...120 euro cheaper on PAYG, some decent reviews aswel:D

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    i might just go for the samsung wave...120 euro cheaper on PAYG, some decent reviews aswel:D
    Except it runs bada instead of Android and the fact it feels pretty crap in the hand (As do most Samsung Phones)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Just an update

Ah sh!te. Mine just came back from HTC with HBOOT 0.92. :(

Going to try downgrading it now...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=768256

• Advertisement

....aaaaand you're back in the room. :D

0.92 downgraded, rooted and restored with LeeDroid 1.8 (need to update it now)

BoO9Y.png

Wasn't too bad, had a problem with Unrevoked and had to uninstall HTC Sync to allow it to work.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys I got my phone on Monday - how do I check which version it is? I want to root but don't want to risk problems

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys I got my phone on Monday - how do I check which version it is? I want to root but don't want to risk problems

Power down. Hold the volume down button and power button together until it starts up again, on the bootloader screen the version number is at the top somewhere.

Did you buy it online or in a shop?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Bought it in an 02 shop as an upgrade. I checked as per Justin's advice and its a 0.83 - lucky there is a fix but the whole thing just seems pretty daunting to me right now. I'll prob do it eventually but for now I'm just enjoying getting to know Android. It kicks the iPhones ass so hard it's not even funny. I can't believe I'm only learning about this now.

Edit: I've already got the "Low On Space" message :( ugh

I think the 02 ones are branded so there might be more work involved, enjoy it as it is until you feel you absolutely have to have root access. :pac:

Bought it in an 02 shop as an upgrade. I checked as per Justin's advice and its a 0.83 - lucky there is a fix but the whole thing just seems pretty daunting to me right now. I'll prob do it eventually but for now I'm just enjoying getting to know Android. It kicks the iPhones ass so hard it's not even funny. I can't believe I'm only learning about this now.

Edit: I've already got the "Low On Space" message :( ugh

Nice i'm currently waiting on meteor. O2 have terrible bill pay deals if you ask me.

How many apps did you get on it before you got the Low on Space indicator :confused: Suppose you tried moving certain apps to the SD card.

The one great advantage of rooting is IMO app2sd+:D

Just an update

I just gave this a go but it did not work. Typical. Seems straight forward and everyone else in the thread was able to do it but it did not work for me! :(

When at step 9 I plug it in I get a "Found new hardware wizard" looking for "ADB" - anyone know what that is or how I fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I just gave this a go but it did not work. Typical. Seems straight forward and everyone else in the thread was able to do it but it did not work for me! :(

When at step 9 I plug it in I get a "Found new hardware wizard" looking for "ADB" - anyone know what that is or how I fix it?
    I got the same message.

Did you install HTC Sync at the beginning? This installs that driver.

Basically, install HTC Sync and uninstall it before using Unrevoked.

You should be fine then.

• Advertisement

When you get to the new hardware wizard you need to install this driver -

http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/windows_hboot_driver_install

Advertisement