Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disruptive posting in rail threads

Options
  • 04-08-2010 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

The rail threads are once more becoming disruptive and unwelcoming for the vast majority of users.

I would like to remind regulars of the following comments in the charter:
    Charter wrote:
    Disruptive posting is not permitted. This includes the use of multiple accounts, spamming, baiting, trolling and anythign that makes it difficult for users to read the board, including, but not limited to oversized images, non-standard text or fonts (unless there is a particualr reason) or use of txt spk.

The charter in full can be read here

It is disappointing to have to police rail threads particularly but repeated requests to tone down the messing have gone unheeded.

Before posting, please stop for one moment and ask are you being constructive or disruptive, and more to the point, how will it be perceived by others reading.

Continued trolling/disruption will result in bans and thread closures.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

whereas i fully agree with you that better policing and self-restraint by members is needed, regularly closing perfectly legimate topics because of such problems only rewards people who may seek to disrupt them and may in fact encourage people (who for reasons of their own wish to see a particular topic disappear) to be disruptive.

I don't know what the solution is but closing down topics punishes the innocent and is akin to a Teacher keeping the whole class in as a result of one miscreants activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

corktina wrote: »
    I don't know what the solution is but closing down topics punishes the innocent and is akin to a Teacher keeping the whole class in as a result of one miscreants activities.

solution is to delete the trouble causing posts, but thats an unfair amount of work put on Mods so locking it is easier and fairer on them rather than constantly having to clean up the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Actually I think the rail threads work perfectly ok until a certain moderator comes along and polices the place like teacher with a class full of naughty five year olds. I see DW Commuter has been banned - what a joke to ban one of the best thinking minds on the transport and commuting threads. If this is the direction Boards.ie wants to go down the place is becoming a joke.

I presume this thread was opened and given a sticky so others could give their views on the whole matter. So that is what I have done expressed an opinion - rather surprisingly that's what I thought Boreds.ie (sic) was about.

Historically bans and gagging has never worked, in any medium, but if it makes Boreds.ie happy to do so - this is their house. Personally I think its excessive and actually I cannot see what the aforementioned poster has done to warrant a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I have to agree and I think it's a big mistake to go banning someone like DW who has a lot to contribute here. One only has to look at how little discussion takes place on Platform 11/RUI to see what banning and locking threads does to a forum. Apart from the odd newbie who stumbles into it nobody does much discussing of anything on RUI except the mods between themselves. Any disagreement with the powers that be is not allowed, and my continual raising of issues such as Fastrack and CIE/IE/RUI's scorched earth policy towards station buildings and staff were like a red rag to a bull. I enjoy the Boards, the cut and thrust of discussions and, indeed, most of the humour. I note that both here and on Irish Railway News I seem to be fair game for character assassination whilst others are protected - nothing new there then. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

westtip wrote: »
    Actually I think the rail threads work perfectly ok until a certain moderator comes along and polices the place like teacher with a class full of naughty five year olds. I see DW Commuter has been banned - what a joke to ban one of the best thinking minds on the transport and commuting threads. If this is the direction Boards.ie wants to go down the place is becoming a joke.

I presume this thread was opened and given a sticky so others could give their views on the whole matter. So that is what I have done expressed an opinion - rather surprisingly that's what I thought Boreds.ie (sic) was about.

Historically bans and gagging has never worked, in any medium, but if it makes Boreds.ie happy to do so - this is their house. Personally I think its excessive and actually I cannot see what the aforementioned poster has done to warrant a ban.

In fairness, he has only himself to blame for any ban that he has received here over the years. He has been banned several times before and for somebody who works in the media as he does, he more than anybody ought to know that shooting ones hip is not the way to go.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

The first line of this thread says "The rail threads are once more becoming disruptive and unwelcoming for the vast majority of users." It's not wrong.

Moderating is not a fun job, but the mods are there for a reason. If people are being disruptive the mods have to do something. Of course the person getting the sanction isn't going to like it but that's the way it goes.

The repetitive jibes and dragging off topic from a number of users is the same as some bloke in the pub who keeps butting into the conversation and saying "Did I ever tell you about the time I was Borneo . . .". At first it's interesting. After the nth conversation has been turned around to Borneo it gets a bit tiresome, not least because we f'ing know about his views on Borneo at this stage and we don't need to hear them again.

I think it is probably worth noting that some posters have reminded us a number of times that they have been banned from this forum, from that forum, from a third forum, etc . . . I think the clue is in the admission to being banned from numerous forums.

I've been very active in a number of Irish forums. However, when I got tired of them I didn't go interjecting into mutiple discussions asking "Did I ever tell you about the time I was in Borneo . . ." and get myself banned. I just stopped using the forums. Simples, eh ?

I agree with the moderation policy & practice on Boards in general and this forum in particular.

z

It's Boreds.ie loss. For some strange reason I always thought this place was for recreational sounding off - actually it seems like its a waste of bloody time, for the time being I am out of this forum I hope ye all enjoy yourselves, mind your ps and qs tho, cos otherwise you will all get banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

It can be very hard to read and enjoy the very informative and mind broadening debates on transport related topics, when a certain element of posters with absolutely no knowledge or foundation post abject nonsense, to no obvious end other than to wind up and undermine people who try to debate fairly. Some of these insipid posts can either wittingly or unwittingly be very offensive to posters who actually work in, have knowledge of, and take pride in, the transport arena. You cannot blame these people for getting very annoyed in return.

Reading over the couple of threads that have been closed recently, it is quite obvious to me who is contributing in a meaningful way to informative discussion, or trying to, and who the wind up merchants are. However, if one were to report every post that causes offence, Boards would need a full time team to cope with it. I would like to know how many reports of posts a mod would find reasonable, because there are quite a few I would report, if I didn't feel I was wasting someone's time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

zagmund wrote: »

I think it is probably worth noting that some posters have reminded us a number of times that they have been banned from this forum, from that forum, from a third forum, etc . . . I think the clue is in the admission to being banned from numerous forums.

I agree. When someone gets banned, there's always rants, raves, diatribes and fulminations at the moderators, whilst at the same time, the very actions which might have precipitated the ban in the first place are coveniently overlooked.

I agree with the moderation policy & practice on Boards in general and this forum in particular.

So do I. I post in several other forums on this board and have not witnesses the sort of gratuitous nonsense that sometimes goes on here. A clear look at the significant number of "Thank You" messages on the mods post above illustrates that the majority do indeed support the mods.
    what a joke to ban one of the best thinking minds on the transport and commuting threads.

A "best thinking mind" should stand out for all of the right reasons. Yes it is unfortunate that he was banned and I don't like seeing this sort of thing happening either. As in life, we can all be the architect of our own success, and sometimes unfortunately, our undoing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Actually I think the rail threads work perfectly ok until a certain moderator comes along and polices the place like teacher with a class full of naughty five year olds.

My thoughts exactly. The moderator in question seems to breeze in to commuting and transport every so often make their presence felt and then isn't heard of again until the next time they get their knickers in a twist. The place generally runs fine when said moderator isn't around taking offence to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

shamwari wrote: »
    I agree. When someone gets banned, there's always rants, raves, diatribes and fulminations at the moderators, whilst at the same time, the very actions which might have precipitated the ban in the first place are coveniently overlooked.

I don't think that anyone has a clue why he was banned. I certainly didn't notice anything particularly offensive about his recent behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Personally I feel that this forum has a bit of a bad vibe about it at times. Particularly when a certain mod has no input to it aside from closing threads and banning posters.

This may get me into a spot of bother

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I would have thought that it was normal not to hear from a mod except when there was moderation to be done. In other words if the forum is ticking along nicely you're not going to get a moderator coming in and telling everyone they are doing a great job, keep it up, and have a little bit of a treat for being such good posters. This is normal.

z

I would have thought that it was normal not to hear from a mod except when there was moderation to be done.

On most boards I am a member of, the mod tends to be encountered regularly as a poster. It also has the added advantage that they can nip trouble in the bud and don't have to go in like the stazi at a later point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I dont know, sometimes some people get a bit out of hand here. Posting "Hey Porter" videos and stuff like that in rail threads which has no real relevance and having a go at people thanking posts ("All your thank merchants.."). I'm all for a debate but if you cant do it without being childish and silly then just go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

I would have to agree with Callina's decision - there is a tendancy for many posts in this section to go way off topic, particularly as rail related discussions seem to be used by certain individuals as vehicles to vent their personal grudges, etc... There have also been instances of threads which were obviously set up to stir things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,085 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would have thought that it was normal not to hear from a mod except when there was moderation to be done. In other words if the forum is ticking along nicely you're not going to get a moderator coming in and telling everyone they are doing a great job, keep it up, and have a little bit of a treat for being such good posters. This is normal.

z

A moderator should be a regular user of the forum they moderate. Unless you operate a system where the moderators have separate shell accounts for moderation activities, you would expect to see them post regularly *as normal posters*.

Having a moderator who sits and only surfaces when required - and isn't a shell account used for such - is not normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,328 ✭✭✭✭Victor

pithater1 wrote: »
    Personally I feel that this forum has a bit of a bad vibe about it at times. Particularly when a certain mod has no input to it aside from closing threads and banning posters.
    Do you want to say this person's name out loud?

Moderators tend to react to three things (a) things that are reported (b) things they spot themselves while browsing (c) things that are "odd" e.g. a thread gaining dozens of posts in a day.

There are some threads that I never read and wouldn't moderate unless (a) or (c) happened.
    This may get me into a spot of bother
    Meaningful feedback isn't a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Has any consideration been given to getting more moderators? Other less busy forums seem to have more moderators.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Do you want to say this person's name out loud?

I will say it out loud Victor - Calina.

penexpers wrote: »
    Has any consideration been given to getting more moderators? Other less busy forums seem to have more moderators.

I would gladly become a moderator if I could figure out how to apply. I'm reading the rail threads constantly so I'd be in a good place to spot anything dodgy. Plus I'm not affiliated to any of the rival groups which seem to surface on the board from time to time. My post count isn't the highest though....

Hungerford wrote: »
    I would gladly become a moderator if I could figure out how to apply. I'm reading the rail threads constantly so I'd be in a good place to spot anything dodgy. Plus I'm not affiliated to any of the rival groups which seem to surface on the board from time to time. My post count isn't the highest though....

you can't apply, you have to be asked.

(asking to apply rules you out to, rumour has it :D)

I agree with post #19 by MYOB - a moderator should be a regular contributor to a forum and it seems to be the case in the other forums that I frequent. That said I appreciate that there has been a fair bit of **** stirring in this forum (some of it down to me) but at least it keeps it lively and when certain people are banned there is noticeably less activity. As for posting items such as "Oh Mr. Porter" for God's sake lighten up - Boards is supposed to be a bit of fun as well as informative! If you want to read dry old ****e and count axleboxes you know where to go. :D

As for posting items such as "Oh Mr. Porter" for God's sake lighten up - Boards is supposed to be a bit of fun as well as informative! If you want to read dry old ****e and count axleboxes you know where to go. :D

while some of the posting gets annoying, this is key for me. Boards should be fun. Many jokey posts ad to the conversation and move it along. This forum is dry enough already without this kind of thing every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Hungerford wrote: »

As a major lurker of the transport forum you could get my vote anyway , its pretty obvious the problem on here you have people you give a great input on both sides then you have the tools who behave like a 2 year old with there "is that you barry" and "you must be an cie manager"

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    As a major lurker of the transport forum you could get my vote anyway , its pretty obvious the problem on here you have people you give a great input on both sides then you have the tools who behave like a 2 year old with there "is that you barry" and "you must be an cie manager"

One of those quotes you can put down to me and if you don't get the point of the Barry Kenny question then that's your problem. There are far too many apologists for CIE/IE who pop in here from time to time. Why is that I get the feeling that even this thread is entering dangerous territory and a lock is imminent - think I'll quit while I'm ahead. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

I do agree that moderators should contribute more but they have lives like the rest of us and moderating is a big enough and thankless

The commoderators had to remove a name of a person as a result of a complaint received

People cross the line at times thats the reason we need moderators like the moderator in question.

thomasj wrote: »
    The commoderators had to remove a name of a person as a result of a complaint received

To be honest, I don't see why they had to. The comment certainly wasn't even remotely libellous.

Anyway, I think that we actually have two different but related problems here regarding rail threads: 1. the misbehaviour of certain posters and 2. poor moderating [that's my application in the bin :D].

My own suspicion is that they are interlinked. The problem at the moment is that some individuals are essentially baiting the mods, the mods are too slow to act [there's doubts that some even read this board on a regular basis], when they do act they come down overly hard and the cycle begins again.

I think that we actually need lighter, more flexible, moderating which will nip issues in the bud quickly with the minimum of bloodshed. From experience, the best moderating is the type you notice least where dodgy comments are removed quietly, the posters involved are quietly spoken to via PM and the threads remain open for discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

its is an emotive topic. we can all see the craven (no pun intended) attitude that Irish Rail has towards what is going on, we can see the opportunistic and parochial methodology that the tds use regarding our rail network and the way that methodology is used to apply pressure to CIE/IE to get what the present power cabal wants. Noel Dempsey's website with trains with Navan on them, for example, not to mention the WRC.

you cannot blame posters who have - in real life - done the business with these buffoons and chancers and then come on here to be tackled by their cheerleaders and become cynical, annoyed and fustrated. This is not a dry exercise in achedemia. there are groups out there who when you see a mark three train, for example, being taken back into service at their behest, seem to have some sort of inner sanctum access to IE. I was told, to my face, by a senior IE manager that all such talk of that railtour being a mark 3 was not true - two weeks later it was happening, despite him saying that if it was he would know about it and he didnt, and that the resources for refurb and passing one into service simply did not exist.

when faced with this sort of attitude in real life, can you blame some of us for going "off the rails" (pun intended this time) from time to time when you see apologists and spinners for IE management.

And, yes, I am sorry for the wake up call Callina, but Irish Rail Management do read your board. Unlike on RUI where I can call up the IP address of the posters and viewers, you cannot know who they are, but they are there, which is why you have a conflict of interests thread in your own board. It is in this atmosphere that you will get these annoyances from people who, lets face it, will never get anything out of this, because of the activities and the goading of those who are, indeed, flag bearers for irish rail managment who have bent over backwards to accommodate them, and bugger the passenger.

So there's your "why" for the disruptive posts. Unless you get that then it is self defeating in trying to police this issue and all you will end up doing is closing threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement