Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Can you change how often the Garmin 305 "pings" the satellite making it more accurate?

The 2 lads I run with, their Garmins (305 and 405) always measure the same distance, and my 305 is usually measuring anything from 80m to 100m longer than theirs, even though I am running side by side with them.
    Hi Mr. Freeze, the Garmin doesn't ping the satellite; it just 'listens' for data (time-stamps) sent out by the satellites. This distinction is important, as the next bit will make more sense:
    The way Garmin's work is to 'listen' for data from the satellites every second, and based on the information it receives, calculate distance and pace. All three watches will do this the same way, however, the 405 likely has a newer version of the GPS chip mounted on the circuit board, so is likely to be more accurate (and find satellites quicker). So it is impossible to change anything that will increase the accuracy of your watch, versus the other two watches. There is a setting on the 305 watches, called 'Smart Recording' or something like that. What this setting does is 'store' more data-points (one every second instead of one every 4 seconds) but this will not affect the overall accuracy of your run (it will improve the accuracy of the mapping, when you upload your run to a computer).

The only possibility is that you may be running older firmware on your watch, so make sure you are running the latest firmware (watch software and GPS chipset). If you upload a workout to Garmin Connect, the firmware versions should be displayed in the bottom left of the activity page. If you compare it to your friend's 305 firmware, you can figure out if it's due an update.

Finally (depending on how long your run was) 10m - 100m is entirely within the acceptable error range for a GPS watch, particularly older models like the 305 (which was designed and released more than 7 years ago). In fact I'd go so far as to say that 10m is pretty decent, while 100m wouldn't be unexpected!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Thanks a million for that Krusty.

Will take a look at the smart recording feature, see if its makes any different, but I won't get my hopes up.

Ya I am on the latest firmware. 2.90 for the the 305 if I remember correctly.

Maybe the fella with the 305 has an earlier version, I can check that when we are running next.

EDIT. not sure about my GPS chipset version, might try updating that this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

EDIT. not sure about my GPS chipset version, might try updating that this evening.

The chipset version is the version of hardware that is in your watch. You are stuck with it. Can't be changed without buying a new watch, The 305 watch has a chipset from 2006 or before. The newer chips in Garmin watches are faster to lock and probably have other improvements too.

huskerdu wrote: »
    The chipset version is the version of hardware that is in your watch. You are stuck with it. Can't be changed without buying a new watch, The 305 watch has a chipset from 2006 or before. The newer chips in Garmin watches are faster to lock and probably have other improvements too.
    There is a separate firmware associated with the GPS chipset though (Forerunner 205/305 GPS Chipset , Ver. 3.00, as of Nov 12, 2007). It's available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lizzy C

Help please... my friend is doing the Waterford marathon at the weekend and his 410 is gone kaputt... it was working fine on Saturday and then the screen just went blank. We tried a hard reset which didn't really work, the Garmin bit flashed up and then it showed the correct time and said Bezel locked and then goes blank again. When you plug it in, it says charging -1%... ever come across this before or what might be a solution??
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

Lizzy C wrote: »
    Help please... my friend is doing the Waterford marathon at the weekend and his 410 is gone kaputt... it was working fine on Saturday and then the screen just went blank. We tried a hard reset which didn't really work, the Garmin bit flashed up and then it showed the correct time and said Bezel locked and then goes blank again. When you plug it in, it says charging -1%... ever come across this before or what might be a solution??
    Thanks in advance
    How old is it? The symptoms make it sound kind of like a battery issue. When charging, is it stuck on 1%? Unfortunately, if it is a battery issue, there is no easy fix. I'd be advising your friend to borrow a watch for the race, just in case.

How old is it? The symptoms make it sound kind of like a battery issue. When charging, is it stuck on 1%? Unfortunately, if it is a battery issue, there is no easy fix. I'd be advising your friend to borrow a watch for the race, just in case.

Thanks Krusty, it's just over a year old (out of guarantee). When you press the two buttons, it springs to life - the Garmin symbol comes up but then when you release the buttons it goes blank again. The watch charged up to 100% now so don't think it's a battery problem

Thanks Krusty, it's just over a year old (out of guarantee). When you press the two buttons, it springs to life - the Garmin symbol comes up but then when you release the buttons it goes blank again. The watch charged up to 100% now so don't think it's a battery problem

Have you tried a master reset? e.g. you specifically need to [Release Start/Stop and continue to hold Lap/Reset] until you see the [Do you really want erase all user data?] message? If not, you're just performing a system reset, rather than a master reset.

Note: A master reset will result in the loss of all user data.

Have you tried a master reset? e.g. you specifically need to [Release Start/Stop and continue to hold Lap/Reset] until you see the [Do you really want erase all user data?] message? If not, you're just performing a system reset, rather than a master reset.

Note: A master reset will result in the loss of all user data.

Tried that with no luck - the question Do you really want to erase all user data never pops up, but there is life in the watch (garmin symbol comes up and then the correct time), until you let go of the button, it goes blank. And the battery is ok. Could it be a software issue? Or is there any other way of re-booting the watch?
    Tks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

There is a separate firmware associated with the GPS chipset though (Forerunner 205/305 GPS Chipset , Ver. 3.00, as of Nov 12, 2007). It's available here.

I ran this on my watch, just in case. So the watch Firmware is 2.9, and GPS Chipset is 3.0.

Ran a 5km road race last night, watch measured 5.11, mate of mine, who also has a 305 measured 5.03 (same firware versions as me), and the lad with the 405 measured 5.07. I will just accept that the difference is margin of error, and get on with it ;) might get a newer watch next year.

I do have one last question though, see the garmin data from last nights run (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/333312801), specifically the timings graph, there are spikes at every km saying a pace of 00:00:00 min / km, as if I stopped.

Any idea what could be the cause of that? I have Auto Lap setup for every one km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Ran a 5km road race last night, watch measured 5.11, mate of mine, who also has a 305 measured 5.03 (same firware versions as me), and the lad with the 405 measured 5.07. I will just accept that the difference is margin of error, and get on with it ;) might get a newer watch next year.
    Yep, I'd just go with margin of error.
    I do have one last question though, see the garmin data from last nights run (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/333312801), specifically the timings graph, there are spikes at every km saying a pace of 00:00:00 min / km, as if I stopped.

Any idea what could be the cause of that? I have Auto Lap setup for every one km.
    I have seen the same thing on some of my runs where the dip to 0:00/km coincides with the completion of each lap. I reckon there's nothing to be done for it and it only happens rarely so no big deal (for me anyways!)
    The negative spike only lasts a fraction of a second and should be negligible on your overall data.

Tried that with no luck - the question Do you really want to erase all user data never pops up, but there is life in the watch (garmin symbol comes up and then the correct time), until you let go of the button, it goes blank. And the battery is ok. Could it be a software issue? Or is there any other way of re-booting the watch?
    Tks!
    Hi Lizzie, If that message doesn't pop up, then you are not doing a master reset. Have a look on youtube. There should be a video that describes the process fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Anyone (KC?!) know if there is a way of displaying battery power on a 410 more prominently? I'm always forgetting to check it through the date/time screen, and have been caught out with low battery a few times.

Ideally I'd like to have battery power as the screen that shows when the watch is in power save mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Hi My friend has a garmin 410 .. Only 6 months old but after a hard reset the watch is now stuck on the english menu
    Had any 1 else had this problem and a solution to it Thanks

Peckham wrote: »
    Anyone (KC?!) know if there is a way of displaying battery power on a 410 more prominently? I'm always forgetting to check it through the date/time screen, and have been caught out with low battery a few times.

Ideally I'd like to have battery power as the screen that shows when the watch is in power save mode.
    I don't believe you can adjust the content that is displayed when in powersave mode. If you unlock the watch and tap the bezel, it should give you the % remaining, but that's about it. Bit of an over-sight in my opinion. Seems to be the same on the other watches. I was hoping to get 'Battery remaining' added as a data field on my 910 (as it has 4 screens x 4 data fields, so plenty of space for one more), but the creative people in Garmin don't seem to be very creative.

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Hi My friend has a garmin 410 .. Only 6 months old but after a hard reset the watch is now stuck on the english menu
    Had any 1 else had this problem and a solution to it Thanks

Hard reset again?!

Hard reset again?!
    Did many times Same result can't get beyond english menu screen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Hi all,

I'm looking for a Garmin GPS running watch...have a budget of €100

What peoples opinions on the Forerunner 410

There's one going on ebay...refurbished model with 1 year warranty

Garmin 410

Do you think this is a good deal or are there any other models I would be better looking at?

I run approx 5 days a week doing 5-8km per session so just looking for something for distance, time, speed and calorie counter

Thanks

Did many times Same result can't get beyond english menu screen
    Is the problem that you cannot select the language, or that the watch is frozen at this point? Have you tried unlocking the bezel?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a Garmin GPS running watch...have a budget of €100

What peoples opinions on the Forerunner 410

There's one going on ebay...refurbished model with 1 year warranty

Garmin 410

Do you think this is a good deal or are there any other models I would be better looking at?

I run approx 5 days a week doing 5-8km per session so just looking for something for distance, time, speed and calorie counter

Thanks
    Hi Bean flicker, looks like a pretty good deal (though a new one will typically set you back around €150 from Amazon.co.uk). So if you think a saving of 33% (€50) for a new vs refurbished unit is worth it, then go for it.

Some points worth mentioning:
    1. You could get a brand new Forerunner 10 for around the same money (doesn't have the same level of functionality, but if all you want is distance, time speed etc., might be a viable alternative).
    2. Make sure the warranty is a full year (as advertised). If the warranty were only 3 months, I would not consider it great value. As you can see from some of the posts above, Forerunners can be problematic.
    3. The seller has '0' feedback. Be wary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Hi Bean flicker, looks like a pretty good deal (though a new one will typically set you back around €150 from Amazon.co.uk). So if you think a saving of 33% (€50) for a new vs refurbished unit is worth it, then go for it.

Some points worth mentioning:
    1. You could get a brand new Forerunner 10 for around the same money (doesn't have the same level of functionality, but if all you want is distance, time speed etc., might be a viable alternative).
    2. Make sure the warranty is a full year (as advertised). If the warranty were only 3 months, I would not consider it great value. As you can see from some of the posts above, Forerunners can be problematic.
    3. The seller has '0' feedback. Be wary!

Thanks Krusty, appreciate it.

Yeah just noticed the '0' feedback after I posted plus he only has two items and lists himself as a shop so think I'll stay clear....

I'm really liking the 410 but its at £147 currently on amazon and I've tried the usual suspects i.e ebay, adverts etc

Any other sites you could recommend that are reliable and solely deal with these gps running watches?

Cheers

Thanks Krusty, appreciate it.

Yeah just noticed the '0' feedback after I posted plus he only has two items and lists himself as a shop so think I'll stay clear....

I'm really liking the 410 but its at £147 currently on amazon and I've tried the usual suspects i.e ebay, adverts etc

Any other sites you could recommend that are reliable and solely deal with these gps running watches?

Cheers
    Amazon will often drop the price to £135, but bear in mind, this price also includes a heart rate monitor (worth around £30 (€35)). if you don't need to HRM strap, you could probably sell it, which would make the price almost comparable to the ebay price you quoted.

You should keep an eye on this page, which compares prices across retailers. Also keep an eye on handtec, which occasionally sells refurbished Garmin Foreunner units.

Is the problem that you cannot select the language, or that the watch is frozen at this point? Have you tried unlocking the bezel?
    Bezel is unlocked ... Yeah can't select the language

Bezel is unlocked ... Yeah can't select the language
    Have you tried tapping the bezel to select the language (rather than hitting the start/stop button)? It could be that the start/stop button is broken/jammed.
    Is he/she getting the [Do you really want erase all user data?] message when performing a hard reset?

Have you tried tapping the bezel to select the language (rather than hitting the start/stop button)? It could be that the start/stop button is broken/jammed.
    Is he/she getting the [Do you really want erase all user data?] message when performing a hard reset?
    He's able to erase all user data but as you said the start/stop button could be jammed or broken He's going to send it back to garmin

My 410 is paired with my laptop and all is working fine.
    I bought a new laptop and I am repeating the process and the ANT agent cannot see the device. It has been searching for 10 minutes now and the watch is right beside it.

I have installed the communication plugin and the USB Drivers.

When you install the comm plugin, you can search for devices and none show up.

Am I missing anything obvious?

huskerdu wrote: »
    Am I missing anything obvious?
    Possibly! Have you enabled pairing on the watch?

Possibly! Have you enabled pairing on the watch?

I paired it with the HRM only last week, so assumed that it was enabled, but I didn't check. Of course that was it. Working now.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Hi , I'm in the market for a new garmin, and can't decide between the 310xt and the 410. The fact that I'm only going to use it for running has me leaning towards the 410, but the touch bezel ( or lack of ) has me leaning towards the 310xt. At the mo, amazon has them both priced roughly the same.

Thanks for any input.

Mr.W

• Advertisement

Better battery life in the 310, larger display with more data fields and it's waterproof. But it's orange. :)

At the same price, the 310 is a much better watch.

Advertisement