Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-05-2010, 10:59   #16
Areyoumad

gilly2308 I have to agree with you. After being in the reserve a while now I cannot see any progress in it. I don't know if you where at the reserve conference in Dublin in February but we where told that the reserve "Will hopefully be looked at within 12 months". Hopefully !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing I can see the reserve being good for is for people who want to go into AGS fulltime. For anybody else it is just a waste of time.

I keep on hearing that it will be looked at but it is the Gardai so it will be "Hurry up and wait" I think.

Maybe someone in authority outside the gardai will look at the piece and start asking more questions as to why there has been no progress but I doubt it very much.
Advertisement
27-05-2010, 11:14   #17
Areyoumad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensey View Post
Indo article
Hi everyone.
Speaking as someone who's in a similar position to many in here, I.e., waiting to join full time, I thought this might be of interest

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...h-2191273.html

You would think at this stage their facts would be correct about the reserve force. I can safely say from my own experience that what reserves I know are certainly utilized to a maximum. High Vis patrolling, traffic, public order issues. Reserves including myself are issued with full equipment including h-cuffs, oc (pepper spray), asp Batton and everything else a full time member has. We also can arrest for various offences and assist with many also.

I honestly think, and I'm positive I'm not alone on this.... But after almost 5 years of the reserve in progress, they're should be some type of internal recruitment campaign for serving members. We are attested members of AGS after all
Well it is the media after all, they don't get everything right but the jist of the article is right. As the article said it various from station to station and even sergeant to sergeant. I personaly have not been given OC spay and I know of 2 reserves in my station who do not even have cuffs or Baton's because they have not been attested yet.

By the way did anybody here of a direction coming down that full time gardai are not to give their Tetra radios to reserves if they are not using them if they are in the station!!!!!!!!!!. Achap I know who is in another station was told that recently. He was not told if it came from the GRA or from an official Garda Direction.
27-05-2010, 11:24   #18
Hooch

Send a message via MSN to Hooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areyoumad View Post
Well it is the media after all, they don't get everything right but the jist of the article is right. As the article said it various from station to station and even sergeant to sergeant. I personaly have not been given OC spay and I know of 2 reserves in my station who do not even have cuffs or Baton's because they have not been attested yet.

By the way did anybody here of a direction coming down that full time gardai are not to give their Tetra radios to reserves if they are not using them if they are in the station!!!!!!!!!!. Achap I know who is in another station was told that recently. He was not told if it came from the GRA or from an official Garda Direction.
Gardaí are not to give their TETRA radios to ANYONE......Reserves use the station pool.

Same for O/C at the discression of the Skipper on duty. In regards cuffs and batons .....???? are you really a reserve?? Student Reserves do not carry batons/cuffs.....same as student Gardaí.

Finally please read the charter....it includes a ban on talking about directives.

Thanks
27-05-2010, 17:11   #19
Areyoumad

Yep I am a reserve and have been for a while, I received my baton and cuffs before I was attested, may be they are doing it different lately..I also noticed that new reserves are not wearing the blue tabs on their shoulders anymore. Well I did so that has changed.

I was not discussing a directive, I was asking was anything sent out......There is no station pool for full time members or reserves where I am

Last edited by Areyoumad; 27-05-2010 at 17:26.
27-05-2010, 17:37   #20
Hooch

Send a message via MSN to Hooch
Quote:
Yep I am a reserve and have been for a while, I received my baton and cuffs before I was attested, may be they are doing it different lately..I also noticed that new reserves are not wearing the blue tabs on their shoulders anymore. Well I did so that has changed.

I was not discussing a directive, I was asking was anything sent out......There is no station pool for full time members or reserves where I am
This is an acceptable post....you first one was not and shall not be tolerated on any ES forum or sub forum.

Student reserves I have seen are still wearing the blue epps. Maybe they decided themselves to take them off.

In regards radios, request in writting access to a TETRA radio while working if you are on out doors duty. No member, student or reserve should be left without a radio on outdoors duty.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-05-2010, 22:16   #21
gilly2308

Quote:
gilly2308 I have to agree with you. After being in the reserve a while now I cannot see any progress in it. I don't know if you where at the reserve conference in Dublin in February but we where told that the reserve "Will hopefully be looked at within 12 months". Hopefully !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing I can see the reserve being good for is for people who want to go into AGS fulltime. For anybody else it is just a waste of time.

I keep on hearing that it will be looked at but it is the Gardai so it will be "Hurry up and wait" I think.

Maybe someone in authority outside the gardai will look at the piece and start asking more questions as to why there has been no progress but I doubt it very much.
Unfortunately I am over 35 so becoming a full time member is not an option for me, and while I would not necessarily agree that been a Reserve is a waste of time for anybody that cannot join the full time force, the current setup for Reserves is pretty poor.

I did not attend my Regional Appreciation night this year, as to be quite honest I have already attended two in previous years, and every year it is the same old rubbish. We get told how great we are, how appreciated we are, and then when we look for more powers, responsibilities etc, we are told that our wishes will be passed on to the Commissioner. Surprisingly enough we never hear anything back from Garda Management, and while I understand that Garda Management have more pressing matters to deal with, it does show that the whole Garda Reserve concept is pretty low down on the list of priorities.

Everybody from TDs to Reserves, to Kathleen O'Toole, to full time members agree that the whole Reserve concept needs to be looked at, yet all we get is a deafening silence from Garda Management.

Last edited by Hooch; 27-05-2010 at 22:21. Reason: Please format you posts!!! Thanks NGA
27-05-2010, 22:54   #22
Shield
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly2308 View Post
Everybody from TDs to Reserves, to Kathleen O'Toole, to full time members agree that the whole Reserve concept needs to be looked at, yet all we get is a deafening silence from Garda Management.
This seems to be the opinion from most members of the Garda Reserve, and it's a pity because you guys are giving your own time and energy, free of charge, to serve your country, and it doesn't seem to be achieving its aim due to the lack of powers you have been given.

All things considered, at this point, anyone who is a member of the Garda Reserve gets 10 out of 10 for sheer sticking power.
(4) thanks from:
28-05-2010, 19:05   #23
gilly2308

Quote:
Originally Posted by psni View Post
This seems to be the opinion from most members of the Garda Reserve, and it's a pity because you guys are giving your own time and energy, free of charge, to serve your country, and it doesn't seem to be achieving its aim due to the lack of powers you have been given.

All things considered, at this point, anyone who is a member of the Garda Reserve gets 10 out of 10 for sheer sticking power.
PSNI I know that the PSNI are supposed to be getting rid of the part time Police Reserve, which I believe are basically part time Police Officers with full police powers. Anyway while they would not be a like for like replacement, I was just wondering are the PSNI bringing in Specials like the rest of the UK Police Forces, or will they be staying with just a purely full time Police force?
25-08-2010, 20:20   #24
redsurfer

the dubliner

hi all

thought i point out that there was a 2 page article in last weeks dubliner magazine about the reserve, havent found it online yet.
Advertisement
25-08-2010, 20:21   #25
Random
Closed Account

could you scan a copy for us?
25-08-2010, 21:16   #26
redsurfer

yea have a copy i see what i can do
26-08-2010, 09:02   #27
boardsbandit200

Quote:

I woud strongly disagree with you in relation to the Reserves being a waste of time.

I've been a reserve for three years now and i will be leaving it shortly. In three weeks I will be moving to Manchester to start a course in Social Work- I did not have the points/ qualifications to enter this level 8 honours degree course- something along the lines of 450+ points.

However- through a process I was able to enter because of 'current learning experiences- and general life experience- i dont want to say too much here but pm me if you want a bit more info- all i'll say is that i'm delighted i got through and being in the reserves was the only thing that got me through.'

The reserve concept does need looking into- but calling it a waste of time is an insult to the reserves who have stuck it out.
It has been nothing but a great experience for me- i would have continued to do it- if i didn't have to leave the country for three years.

Also well done to any other reserves who go on duty most weekend nights, If you guys are utilised as much a I was on a saturday night then fair play- especially to the older lads with families.
(4) thanks from:
29-08-2010, 17:45   #28
shampon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardsbandit200 View Post
I woud strongly disagree with you in relation to the Reserves being a waste of time.

I've been a reserve for three years now and i will be leaving it shortly. In three weeks I will be moving to Manchester to start a course in Social Work- I did not have the points/ qualifications to enter this level 8 honours degree course- something along the lines of 450+ points.

However- through a process I was able to enter because of 'current learning experiences- and general life experience- i dont want to say too much here but pm me if you want a bit more info- all i'll say is that i'm delighted i got through and being in the reserves was the only thing that got me through.'

The reserve concept does need looking into- but calling it a waste of time is an insult to the reserves who have stuck it out.
It has been nothing but a great experience for me- i would have continued to do it- if i didn't have to leave the country for three years.

Also well done to any other reserves who go on duty most weekend nights, If you guys are utilised as much a I was on a saturday night then fair play- especially to the older lads with families.
I will agree with most of what you have said above. I will soon be undertaking a degree course, partly because of what I learnt on the street and in the station with the help of the full time members and their experiences. If you get new skill/s out of the Reserve, then your time there has not been a waste of time, life is what you make it after all. And try and laugh...
22-10-2010, 22:13   #29
kerry4sam

from the ES thread, thanks Lehanemore ... Reserve Garda nominated for Scot medal
23-10-2010, 10:51   #30
lehanemore

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...t-2390344.html

another one.

and there was I thinking I was doing a great job turning cattle in off the road
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text