Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rottweiler with tail

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Our Rottie has her tail docked (done before she ended up in the rescue). Its gas looking at her little stump wagging but much rather see her with a full tail. I find myself saying to people with other dogs we meet who are a bit wary of her intentions, "look she's happy, look at her stump" :D

Dogs need tails, it's a good way of letting other dogs and people know what state of mind they are in. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

EGAR wrote: »
    That is a myth IMHO. The owners didn't want their good dirtied by wet and muddy tails and therefore docked them (Rottweiler is a good example for that - pulling meat carts). Alot of traditional pulling dogs (Bernese Mountain Dog for example) do not have their tails docked traditionally but should be according to this reasoning.

Is there any reliable research available on that theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

there are some very good reasons for doing it , some one i know had to get it done as their dogs tail was in bits (constantly bleeding) from smacking it off door ways
    Serious injury is a perfectly valid reason for removing it, exactly the same reason why we remove a leg if it's been too badly damaged to fix.

But removing any body part before there's a problem is completely unnecessary and just mutilation for the sake of it.

I don't like the look of a docked dog. They look disfigured (my dog has 3 legs before anyone jumps on me for discrimination :D). My own has a pathetic rat's tail excuse for a thing and she's not a very vigorous wagger, but she would definitely be missing something without her tail.

Wisco, I don't think it's illegal for vets to dock tails in this country, just that most of them refuse to do it any more because it's considered unneccesary. You will still get vets in rural parts who will happily dock a pup's tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Wisco wrote: »
    As to the legality of tail docking- it's illegal for anyone in the veterinary profession to do it in Ireland, but sadly that doesn't stop people from doing DIY jobs. Which is horrible- no anaesthesia or pain relief, or antibiotics. QUOTE]

Its not illegal in Ireland to dock tails. The UK brought it in alright but its still legal in Ireland to dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

What I understand about docking in Ireland is this (open to correction as it's what I heard, I have no proof as such)

Vets who qualified in the UK where docking is illegal, but practice in Ireland are not allowed to dock dogs, vets who qualified in Ireland are allowed to dock dogs.

Having said that, most vets now choose not to dock animals which may make it seem that it's illegal in Ireland because you have to travel far and wide to have it done.

I brought in a litter of foster JRTs at 3 days old to the vet because the mother had KC and the first thing the vet asked was if I wanted the pups docked!!! :eek: I nearly died! Said no, that I was only there to get the mammy's KC checked out.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Vets who qualified in the UK where docking is illegal, but practice in Ireland are not allowed to dock dogs, vets who qualified in Ireland are allowed to dock dogs.

Having said that, most vets now choose not to dock animals which may make it seem that it's illegal in Ireland because you have to travel far and wide to have it done.

QUOTE]

Dont think theres any truth in that. Docking was only made illegal in UK since August 2007. Its still legal here in Ireland but most vets will not do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ADAlliance

It should never be forgotten that docking in itself is causing an injury to a pup. It can be harmful and painful http://anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/page_14.htm Some breeds carry von Willibrand's disease (a bleeding disorder) which could mean that an entire litter could die as a result of docking. Infections and gangrene can happen when not done in a sterile environment. Later in life dogs can suffer from neuromas, constant nerve pain (phantom limb syndrome). Puppy buyers are often unaware of these harmful effects and the breeders are unlikely to tell.
    Working dogs sustain more leg injuries than tail injuries according to a recent study and who suggests removing a leg in case of injury. Broken tails can be mended by skilful attention from a Vet (tongue depressors make good splints). A recent study shows that 500 dogs would need to be docked to avoid one injury and "working" dogs are more likely to be injured at home where possibly they are in kennels/cages or in doors

Advertisement