Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Passage

Options
  • 09-07-2010 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

Has anyone one else read this? Caught my eye in town yesterday and picked it up, started it last night and seems great so far, seems to be in the thread of Stephen King and The Stand! It's going to be a vampire saga in 3 parts it seems, although no where near Twilight territory!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭blue_steel

It's creating a massive buzz alright. There was a publishing war for it last year that ended up with the author pocketing 5 million dollars. Ridley Scott has already secured the film rights. Certainly worth a look I'd say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

In the market for a book. Might pick this up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭filmfan

Well it's good so far, can't wait to read the rest, think it's around 800 pages though so hope it keeps the pace up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

got back from holidays on the 9th, got it on ebook on the 11th and finished it about 3 hours ago.

Must say i really enjoyed it and im sure there will be a follow on book, well i hope there is.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Must say i really enjoyed it and im sure there will be a follow on book, well i hope there is.
    It's a planned trilogy. I read the reviews and it seems good - I've got it on my Amazon wishlist.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    It's a planned trilogy. I read the reviews and it seems good - I've got it on my Amazon wishlist.

Thats made my day, hope they release the next one soon....

Its expensive enough to buy 22.99 in easons, i got mine off waterstones for 17€ but it was an e book.

The book reminds me of a book i read years ago '48' by james herbert.

I'm 250 or so pages in and it's really great

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Thanks for that. I'll put it on my list of (many!) books to be read! Sounds good.

I remember now picking up this book last week in Eason's & I thought it was pricey. So I just had a look on Amazon & it is only £9.99, so worth doing a bulk order from Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passage-Justin-Cronin/dp/0752897845/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279200524&sr=1-1

I might wait a bit and see if the price will come down in the bookshops. Though as you say, it is a big book, so worth the extra money.

As someone said to me recently, at least book buying is not the worst way to spend your money!

Does anyone know when the second one is due out??

Justin Cronin

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    Justin Cronin240px-WK-AS409_yebook_D_20100107193820.jpgBornJustin Cronin
    New England, United StatesOccupationNovelist, Professor of EnglishGenresHorror, Science fiction
    Influences[URL="javascript:toggleNavigationBar(1);"][show][/URL]
    Stephen King, Cormac McCarthy

Justin Cronin (born 1962) is an American author. He has written three novels: Mary and O'Neil, The Summer Guest and The Passage. Awards he's won for his fiction include the PEN/Hemingway Award, the Stephen Crane Prize, and the Whiting Writer's Award.[1]
    Born and raised in New England, Cronin is a graduate of Harvard University and the Iowa Writers’ Workshop. He taught creative writing and was the 'Author in-residence' at La Salle University in Philadelphia, PA from 1992 - 2005. He currently lives with his wife and children in Houston, Texas where he is Professor of English at Rice University.[2]
    The Houston Chronicle reports that Cronin's recent book deal for a post-apocalyptic vampire trilogy earned him close to 3.75 million dollars. The first book of the series, called The Passage, was released in June 2010.[3] It garnered favorable reviews.[4][5]
    URL="http://www.boards.ie/w/index.php?title=Justin_Cronin&action=edit&section=1"][COLOR=#0645ad]edit[/COLOR][/URL Film adaptations

The New York Times reports that Fox 2000 has purchased the film rights to the first book in the trilogy for approximately 1.75 million. It is predicted that the film will be directed by Ridley Scott. Initially Cronin was asking for $3million for outright purchase of the rights to the films as opposed to an option deal. Along with Fox 2000, 3 other studios were bidding for the rights, Universal, Warner Brothers and Sony, with prices around $1.25 million.I][URL="http://www.boards.ie/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"][COLOR=#0645ad]citation needed[/COLOR][/URL][/I
    URL="http://www.boards.ie/w/index.php?title=Justin_Cronin&action=edit&section=2"][COLOR=#0645ad]edit[/COLOR][/URL Bibliography

• Advertisement

Would make a good film.

2 years till the next book and 2 years again after that for the final book. Thats a long time to wait, hope im not dead by then.

That is a long wait, you'd have to read the books over a shorter amount of time to get the most out of it I'd say but I can't stop reading now...it's too interesting:)

P.S. If you have finished and want to talk about it please put spoilers on so I don't see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭sxt

Would make a good film.

2 years till the next book and 2 years again after that for the final book. Thats a long time to wait, hope im not dead by then.

Looks like Ridely Scott might get his hands on this one.
    http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/38201/update-status-the-passage-film-adaptation

This sounds like a great book, I'm going to order it from Amazon. Thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Crapasre, i picked this up yesterday in easons and put in back in favour of 'The Slap'. Hate to have to wait four yeas tho for the next installements tho, sooner wait until they are all out and then read them.

It's certainly a long wait, but it's too good to wait for four years to read as well, up to you!

I'm very happy, I bought this book for €13.74 in The Book Station, Charlestown Shopping Centre, Finglas, Dublin 11.

It was worth the trip.

That's the cheapest price I've seen for this book in a bricks and mortar store (I know - I'm sure it's cheaper online).

Would like to know how others are finding the book, I'm still loving it, keeps surprising me

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

filmfan wrote: »
    Would like to know how others are finding the book, I'm still loving it, keeps surprising me

Have about 150 pages to go, not normally the sort of book I go for but am enjoying it. The middle part lagged at times but well written and I would recommend.

I'm about two-thirds of the way through, wondering where the hell the book is going to end in the future and how much is still left to happen if we have another two mammoth tombs of material left to read? As long as it keeps up this standard I'll be happy though!

• Advertisement

filmfan wrote: »
    I'm about two-thirds of the way through, wondering where the hell the book is going to end in the future and how much is still left to happen if we have another two mammoth tombs of material left to read? As long as it keeps up this standard I'll be happy though!

Well i recon we have another 900 years to go. At the begining it said that amy lived to be 1000 . wont say any more until you have read more.

Maybe put spoilers on that in case people don't know that info yet!!!

Hey thanks, yes, don't tell us! Some of us haven't read it yet!!

Sorry didint mean to spoil it, its the very first sentence in the book. At least it wasnt in the middle or end.

That's OK! I can't believe some of you have read a good bit of the book already! I'm struggling with my overflowing bookshelves. I just bought "Under the Dome" (Stephen King) too, another big book.

I think I should really give up work and become a full time reader. Now there's a thought.................

. I just bought "Under the Dome" (Stephen King) too, another big book.

QUOTE]

Didnt really like that one, took me a month to read. If i like the book i will have it read within a couple of days,

Finally finished it, really loved it..now the long, long wait begins for the next instalment! Would recommend it to anyone though, really interesting!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Saw it in waterstones for 20 euro,might try amazon to see if they have it cheaper.

Saw it in waterstones for 20 euro,might try amazon to see if they have it cheaper.
    I bought the book for €13.74 in the Book Station, see my earlier post. I had a look at Amazon & I think it's cheaper there too, £9.99. Though you have to order £25 with amazon to get the free delivery. Try the book depository also.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passage-Justin-Cronin/dp/0752897845/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280781082&sr=1-1

I'm about 130 pages in, and loving it. My favourite book is "The Stand" by Stephen King, so it's reminding me of that.

Though it will take me a while to finish "The Passage", I'm not as quick reading as you guys!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is it a heavy book to read?

Advertisement