Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Father has never had a full licence!

Options
  • 09-07-2010 4:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi! I am posting here just to get some adviceabout my father and his driving!
    Well he is a 62 year old farmer! He believes that the who licenceing system is wrong. He says he has being driving with over 45years and never has had an accdient. He did get a provisional a few years ago and he attempted a driving test nd he got 25 grade 2 fults and 7 grade 3 faults. Now he says that they did him in the test. Both my brother and sisyer passed there driving test with hardly any faults and he says it's because the both went to collage! I know that is really funny.
    I rarely go any where with him. Just to our local town if I really need to go with gim for example school. Now I am no expert driver but the amount of things he does wrong is scary. He drives really slow by the way.
    He often goes on the motorway and seenothing wrong with it. He says he is fully legal and if any garda said anything to him he would bate the ****e out of him. Once he missed his exit on the M7 I think it was near portlaoise and my aunt was in the car and she said he pulled into the hard sholederand did U turn against on-coming traffic.
    Now I have plenty of more bad driving experience with him!
    So anywy he won't do another driving test he says it's a waste of his money my the way he's on social welfare so it's not relly his to begin with.
    Or do driving lessons because he is so good.
    My mam only did her driving test in 02 because he wouldn't let her do it. When my brother finshed collage he gave her money for lessons and she passed the 1st time. He ws raging when she did it.
    These are my questions anyway?
    If he ever gets cought.
    What summons will he face?
    Is there anyway I could comvience him to do a test?
    Should I just report him? Part of me wants to simple becuse I see him a very dangerous driver!
    Sorry for the long post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

this is sounding troll like, all ill say is your father sounds like a crazy man , you need a licence to drive on Irish roads. If he does not have a licence I could only assume he doesnt believe in tax or insurance either .

IBTL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lonelyguy

He is on this type of social welfare called farm assist.
    Now back to the driving. No he see no problem drivng tractors around etc.
    He thinks that he is a skilled driver. He would bascially force my mam to do it for him. He says if he ever does the driving test again and fails he would beat the s**te out of the tester.
    He thinks he is the king of road saftey he's go on liveline about it and all. Don't even ask about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

nice man.....:rolleyes: him we could do without....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What will happen to him if he gets caught depends on what he gets caught doing and if he actually has a valid learner permit at the moment (which I suspect he doesn't?). And if he has a permit, whether your mam or other family member (or anyone else) with a full licence is in the car.

Does he have insurance or is he as cavalier about that too?

To be honest, I'd let him try and "beat the ****e" out of a Guard that stops him, as he'd likely end up doing some time... except knowing that kind of mouthy old codger, there's not a chance he'd actually do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,015 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I take it he is driving uninsured also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

this reinds me of one of those american cop shows,

the cop pulled over a guy and did the usual checks, he went back up to the car and says to him the computer is saying he did have a driving licence but it expired in 1969:eek:

the guy had been driving around for over 30 years without getting stopped:D

a touch of troll about this post?
    doing a u turn on the m7 is suicide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Demotivator__Epic_Fail.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Your father is an absolute fvcking idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

lonelyguy wrote: »
    He says he is fully legal and if any garda said anything to him he would bate the ****e out of him.

Even if he is 62, you'll do jail time for that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Even if he is 62, you'll do jail time for that
    ...but the roads would be safer........? :o

Fwiw, I believe the OP about the lack of licence. Some years ago I was involved in a nationwide survey on the subject, and I came across loads of people who had, say, provisional's for 20+ yrs............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

I used to notice a lot of this in rural towns up until a couple of years ago, especially on pension day. The ould boys would venture down from the hills in the clapped out datsun to collect their few bob and you knew by the way that they were driving that they'd never done a lesson let alone any test. Like the OPs father, they would often get very agressive if you attempted to point out their, ahem, lack of skill behind the wheel. Clowns of the highest order. OP, I suggest your father cops himself on.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pull a few cables out of the car to immobilise it, then someone else can drive him wherever he needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Pyridine

This isn't him by any chance?? One of those know it all arseholes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

how code a garda put up with the fella in the video :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Hmmm

troll.jpg

thenightrider: how code a garda put up with the fella in the video

I don't know but I would have pulled him out through the small gap in the window after about a minute of his bull!

I think he was looking for a confrontation so he could sue the gards or something, having all the evidence on video! In the end he made them look like the most professional police force in the world...not an easy feat! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

lonelyguy wrote: »
    Hi! I am posting here just to get some adviceabout my father and his driving!
    Well he is a 62 year old farmer! He believes that the who licenceing system is wrong. He says he has being driving with over 45years and never has had an accdient. He did get a provisional a few years ago and he attempted a driving test nd he got 25 grade 2 fults and 7 grade 3 faults. Now he says that they did him in the test. Both my brother and sisyer passed there driving test with hardly any faults and he says it's because the both went to collage! I know that is really funny.
    I rarely go any where with him. Just to our local town if I really need to go with gim for example school. Now I am no expert driver but the amount of things he does wrong is scary. He drives really slow by the way.
    He often goes on the motorway and seenothing wrong with it. He says he is fully legal and if any garda said anything to him he would bate the ****e out of him. Once he missed his exit on the M7 I think it was near portlaoise and my aunt was in the car and she said he pulled into the hard sholederand did U turn against on-coming traffic.
    Now I have plenty of more bad driving experience with him!
    So anywy he won't do another driving test he says it's a waste of his money my the way he's on social welfare so it's not relly his to begin with.
    Or do driving lessons because he is so good.
    My mam only did her driving test in 02 because he wouldn't let her do it. When my brother finshed collage he gave her money for lessons and she passed the 1st time. He ws raging when she did it.
    These are my questions anyway?
    If he ever gets cought.
    What summons will he face?
    Is there anyway I could comvience him to do a test?
    Should I just report him? Part of me wants to simple becuse I see him a very dangerous driver!
    Sorry for the long post!

Ehhhhh :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There are heaps of fathers that technically should not have a full license and are still driving on cowboy "full" licenses.

For those that heard of the license amnesty in the late 70's to clear the backlog of test applications.

gavredking Ehhhhh

You mean your father didn't pay for your driving lessons AND sex change when you finished college?? What a stingy bastard he must be!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

gavredking wrote: »
    Ehhhhh :eek:

I don't see the difficulty following that, his brother after finishing college paid for his mother to learn to drive and she passed the test first time. His father was not impressed....complicated thing a language is!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Pyridine wrote: »
    This isn't him by any chance?? One of those know it all arseholes!

Fair play to that garda, i would of pulled the cnut out of the car and taken him to the station for bein a pr!ck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭thebull09

Fair play to that garda, i would of pulled the cnut out of the car and taken him to the station for bein a pr!ck!!

It sounded like roy keane lol

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

I don't see the difficulty following that, his brother after finishing college paid for his mother to learn to drive and she passed the test first time. His father was not impressed....complicated thing a language is!

To be fair to the guy I had to read it a few times to get the jist of it, considerinh the previous sentence. The OP doesn't have great english at all so i'm guess he is really young(doubtful considering the age of his father) or he is a troll(Get Him!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Would you consider calling down to the station and reporting your father? maybe arrange for them to catch him driving?

It's harsh I know, but if he isn't paying any attention to family, then maybe stronger medicine is needed. He is an almighty danger to himself, his family and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There are heaps of fathers that technically should not have a full license and are still driving on cowboy "full" licenses.

For those that heard of the license amnesty in the late 70's to clear the backlog of test applications.

From the OP's fathers age he wouldn't have had to do a test. Not too sure when they started doing tests. My father is 65 and has everything on his licence, all he did was drop down to the barracks and tick a few boxes and hand over a few Shillings.

The 70's amnesty only gave B, EB and maybe (E)C1 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I had mis-eard it, i thought the brother had came out of college and had suddenly changed genders, my mistake,carry on :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Incredible patience shown by those Cops. Fair play.

The driver set it up though - what an ignoramus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I wonder what happened to him in the end. 8 minutes to get his name? He should be done for wasting police time as well.

When he kept saying "what do you need my name for", it reminded me of the old D'unbelievables sketch:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Gardai should have pepper srayed or tazered him!!

US style policing :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

Incredible patience shown by those Cops. Fair play.

The driver set it up though - what an ignoramus.

He should have been arrested an done for wasting the time of a garda as well as speeding. I think if the cop had not seen he was been recorded he probably would have put a stop to yer mans shite sooner, and rightly so he was a total knob.

Advertisement