Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
05-07-2010, 20:49   #1
easyeason3
Registered User
 
easyeason3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I'M FEMALE DAMMIT!!!!!
Posts: 3,030
Spaying a female dog.

Does getting a female dog spayed calm her down & make her less energetic?
easyeason3 is offline  
Advertisement
05-07-2010, 22:03   #2
Glowing
Registered User
 
Glowing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 2,790
Nope - you may just need to walk her for longer every day! What breed is she?

It is the best thing for her all round though and you should spay her anyway to avoid unwanted litters, and to avoid all sorts of health complications ...
Glowing is offline  
05-07-2010, 22:07   #3
easyeason3
Registered User
 
easyeason3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I'M FEMALE DAMMIT!!!!!
Posts: 3,030
A labrador. It's my friends dog & she's coming near the six month mark so she's thinking of getting her done before she goes into heat.
She doesn't want to breed off her but was wondering if it will have any effect on the dog?
easyeason3 is offline  
05-07-2010, 22:08   #4
Ado86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 370
If your dog is very energetic - breed dependent, she probably is bored and requires more stimulation and exercise.
Ado86 is offline  
05-07-2010, 22:11   #5
Glowing
Registered User
 
Glowing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 2,790
Definately get her done - she'll be back to normal in a day or two, it won't have any ill effects and will prevent some cancers developing in later life ....
Glowing is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-07-2010, 22:15   #6
easyeason3
Registered User
 
easyeason3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I'M FEMALE DAMMIT!!!!!
Posts: 3,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado86 View Post
If your dog is very energetic - breed dependent, she probably is bored and requires more stimulation and exercise.

She is having trouble training her because she's still very much at the puppy stage. Jumping up, bad on recall etc. So that's why she was wondering would it calm her down a bit.

She's getting her done anyway as she doesn't want a litter of pups to try & find good homes for. But she was wondering if getting the pooch spayed would calm her down enough to learn commands etc.

Her energy is unbelievable & she's in a house where there is always someone at hom & they have a JR too for company.
easyeason3 is offline  
05-07-2010, 22:20   #7
shinikins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,497
I had my two cocker spaniel bitches neautered at the same time(they developed lumps on the mammary glands that turned out to be cancerous) and they calmed down immediatly. They're a very energetic breed anyway, and i was shocked by the change in them. They were prtty quiet and grumpy for a few days, but as soon as the stitches came out, they were fine, just a lot calmer!
shinikins is offline  
Thanks from:
05-07-2010, 22:28   #8
wiger toods
Closed Account
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyeason3 View Post
Does getting a female dog spayed calm her down & make her less energetic?
please get this done! i recently lost my little baby through cancer! she was a beautiful redsetter, which made me the happiest person around for 13 years. the vet told me had she been spayed, there would have been very little chance of her developing this disease. i knew nothing about this of course, and cant turn the clock back. i would strongly advise you to do it please. as they get older the possibilty of them getting cancer is huge, unless they've been spayed.
wiger toods is offline  
05-07-2010, 22:42   #9
easyeason3
Registered User
 
easyeason3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I'M FEMALE DAMMIT!!!!!
Posts: 3,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiger toods View Post
please get this done! i recently lost my little baby through cancer! she was a beautiful redsetter, which made me the happiest person around for 13 years. the vet told me had she been spayed, there would have been very little chance of her developing this disease. i knew nothing about this of course, and cant turn the clock back. i would strongly advise you to do it please. as they get older the possibilty of them getting cancer is huge, unless they've been spayed.

I'm sorry to hear that. It's always difficult losing a pet especially one you have cared for over 13 years.

She's definately getting her done. She's just hoping for a happy side effect = that she'll calm down enough to train!

To be fair to my friend she has great patience & has tried everything to train her pooch but she has a ferocious energy in her even though she is well excercised.
easyeason3 is offline  
Advertisement
05-07-2010, 23:15   #10
salad dodger
Registered User
 
salad dodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: ex limerick now leitrim via donegal via cork
Posts: 634
Apologies first for slightly hijacking the thread.

But as we're on the subject of spaying, I'd just like to find out when is the best time to get it done? I've seen some relatives bitches swell up after the operation and i wonder was it because the dogs were done either too early or too late.
Mrs D and i got a wee shih tzu bitch last week at 8weeks old. I'm not sure as to what age to put her under the knife as we have no real interest in breeding off of her and as mentioned before, to reduce the risk of health probs in the future. I've heard not to get it done until she has gone on heat at least once. I have also heard it recommended in the past to let a bitch have a litter first and then get her done.

Thanks for any input.
salad dodger is offline  
06-07-2010, 00:21   #11
shinikins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by salad dodger View Post
Apologies first for slightly hijacking the thread.

But as we're on the subject of spaying, I'd just like to find out when is the best time to get it done? I've seen some relatives bitches swell up after the operation and i wonder was it because the dogs were done either too early or too late.
Mrs D and i got a wee shih tzu bitch last week at 8weeks old. I'm not sure as to what age to put her under the knife as we have no real interest in breeding off of her and as mentioned before, to reduce the risk of health probs in the future. I've heard not to get it done until she has gone on heat at least once. I have also heard it recommended in the past to let a bitch have a litter first and then get her done.

Thanks for any input.
I've just been talking to my Vet(he's a family friend) and in his opinion, you should wait til around 6 months, or the first time she comes into season(which tends to be around the same time) If a dog is not bred, the chances of cancer occuring are huge(thats what happened to my two, neither had a litter and i found the lumps on their teats around age 6) Whether or not she has a litter first is of no consequence. I'm only repeating what he told me, and i may not have picked up all the info correctly. Your Schih-tzu pup will be needing her shots soon anyway, why not ask your vet then?
shinikins is offline  
Thanks from:
06-07-2010, 00:39   #12
anniehoo
Moderator
 
anniehoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowing View Post
Definately get her done - she'll be back to normal in a day or two, it won't have any ill effects and will prevent some cancers developing in later life ....
Pyometra (nulliparous is just the technical term for not having a litter) is the main one to worry about in an unspayed female dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyeason3 View Post
But she was wondering if getting the pooch spayed would calm her down enough to learn commands etc.

Her energy is unbelievable .
Neutering is not a magic fix for "bad behaviour".Some dogs calm down energy wise but it wont correct behavioural probs. It eliminates hormonal influences but it will still need basic discipline.Thats a whole different ballgame. It should help..but spaying or castrating any animal doesnt equal a personality change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salad dodger View Post
when is the best time to get it done?
Dogs can come into "heat" anytime from 5-10mths. Personally i would let them go into one heat (this doesnt mean having a litter). It means their hormones have matured fully and then its just growth after that. Some will argue against it.In development terms its like removing the ovaries of a girl before shes had a period. Hormones are vital and i think removing their source before its time isnt a good idea.
anniehoo is offline  
Thanks from:
06-07-2010, 09:14   #13
Bookkeeper09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 264
We had our Retriever/labrador female spayed about 7 weeks ago at 6 months. This was before she went into heat at all.
I had asked the question of whether we should wait until she had gone into season once and got conflicting opinions but more seemed to be advising to get her done before she went into season so we went with that.
She was quiet for about 2 days and then back to her normal loopy self!
I would say if the dog is very energetic to re-enforce the lampshade(with duct tape or something similar)....our dog managed to take hers off and take out her stitches! All was fine tho!
Bookkeeper09 is offline  
06-07-2010, 09:53   #14
morganafay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,518
I don't know about dogs but my vet prefers to spay cats at 4 months before they go into heat.

I got all my dogs spayed at about 10-12 months, but some of them hadn't come into heat at that age anyway. If I spay my puppy I'd do it before she goes into heat probably.
morganafay is offline  
06-07-2010, 10:29   #15
lrushe
Registered User
 
lrushe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,583
Imagine sterilizing a human at the age of 9 or 10 before they were sexually mature, imagine how stunted their growth and development would be. Please if possible leave a dog to fully mature before spay / neutering, of course if you can't contain your dog then spay / neutering at 6 months is the lesser of 2 evils but otherwise leave you dog until 18 - 24 months depending on its breed.
lrushe is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet