Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some stupid questions because we don't have a FAQ

• 14-06-2010 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭

1. What exactly is the beef with Serebii.net? Is it inaccurate, or does it print info from other sites without crediting them or did it date someone's sister and then post compromising photos on Readers Wives?

2. If you battle another trainer via WiFi or WFC do you get XP and/or cash? Does the loser lose cash?

3. Can you beauty-up a Feebas in HG/SS and if so how?

4. If you need a strong psychic type but you're sick of Alakazams and Gardevoir (is that the female one?) then what do you do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Banjo wrote: »
    1. What exactly is the beef with Serebii.net? Is it inaccurate, or does it print info from other sites without crediting them or did it date someone's sister and then post compromising photos on Readers Wives?
    Site design, doesn't quote his sources, can be inaccurate sometimes, and other general bits like that.
    2. If you battle another trainer via WiFi or WFC do you get XP and/or cash? Does the loser lose cash?
    No and no.
    Yes, via Daisy's massages in Pallet Town every day from 3-4pm. It takes eight massages to max out ANY Pokémon beauty stat.
    4. If you need a strong psychic type but you're sick of Alakazams and Gardevoir (is that the female one?) then what do you do?
    Depends on what you're looking for in a "strong" Psychic type. Think others along the lines of Bronzong, Claydol, Lunatone, Solrock maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

Serebii refuses to have a bit of fun with Pokémon news. He (Serebii) will only post up "solid" news and will refuse to state his source, wanting fans to directly link back to his site.

I will say one good thing about Serebii though, it does have nice little info pages on sections of the games.

I'm with TheChrisD on this one, there are awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better news sites out there.

Here's a few:
    Filb.de (German)
    Pocket Monsters.net (They do summaries for Pokémon Sunday every week)
    Bulbanews
    Pokébeach
    Chris got it right, BUT since the Beauty Stat (and contests) don't exist in Johto (HGSS) you'll need to trade Feebas to Sinnoh (DPP) and level it up there with a max beauty stat to get Milotic. Also the Haircut brothers in the Goldenrod Underground beauty up your Pokés.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

BUT since the Beauty Stat (and contests) don't exist in Johto (HGSS) you'll need to trade Feebas to Sinnoh (DPP) and level it up there with a max beauty stat to get Milotic.

You'd think they'd have fixed crap like that at this stage, what with the whole 'lack of time, can't get Espeon/Umbreon in FR' debacle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I like the game mechanic pages and the Pokédex on Serebii...

Are you sure about the Milotic thing? I evolved a Feebas in HG/SS after bringing it to the Haircut Brothers and Daisy for a few days in a row, without having to trade it to DPPt.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I could never get sick of Alakazam D: It's been an integral part of my team since I caught it as an Abra outside Goldenrod.

I'm not a fan of Serebii, not just for the quoting the sources, but I also just don't like the look of the site. Not sure why, it just doesn't appeal too much to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I only use Serebii for stats and move pools so I guess I'm OK there then.

Don't get me wrong, Alakazam was a key player for me in Blue. And Gold. And Emerald. And Diamond. And Pearl. But you get to a point where you want to differentiate your games, even if it means having 3 eggs with legs and a palm tree for hair in your squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

elekid wrote: »
    I like the game mechanic pages and the Pokédex on Serebii...

Are you sure about the Milotic thing? I evolved a Feebas in HG/SS after bringing it to the Haircut Brothers and Daisy for a few days in a row, without having to trade it to DPPt.
    You got it to work? Then that's good enough for me ^_^

I just traded over my VGC Milotic for the 'dex entry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

META-FUCKING-GROSS!!

Get a physical one, when it learns Zen Headbutt it just crushes everything in it's path.

Houndoom is it's worst enemy though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Metagross is a pretty epic psychic, and a pseudo-legendary to boot!

CianRyan wrote: »
    META-FUCKING-GROSS!!

Get a physical one, when it learns Zen Headbutt it just crushes everything in it's path.

Houndoom is it's worst enemy though.

"when"?
    I have 3 lv5 pokewalker Beldums with Zen Headbutt straight out of the box. Score!
    When you say "get a physical one" are you talking about a nature that boosts Attack or just one who's nature doesn't impact Attack?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I find serbii really good for info,even if he doesn't credit his sources.
    Bulbapedia is good too.

Don't know much about HG/SS atm because I've decided to pull out the gameboy and play pokemon yellow again,even though I have HG sitting in the house.:pac:

"when"?
    I have 3 lv5 pokewalker Beldums with Zen Headbutt straight out of the box. Score!
    When you say "get a physical one" are you talking about a nature that boosts Attack or just one who's nature doesn't impact Attack?

An attack boosting nature.
    I use my Metagross for a lot thanks to it's amazing nature and power.
    Being a Steel type, it also has great defence stats.

I knew you'd say that.... rats. Can't breed the moves in, and they're buggers to catch on Winners Road. All I've got is non-attack-reducing natures. At this point I'll do my end-credits-hulk-walk
    bling bling blang bling....
    bling bling blang bling-ing...

If there's a special one, that would be somewhat of a sweeper too, if there's a defensive one, that would be un-really hard to beat.

A question I thought of today:

If Trick Room is in effect and two Pokémon use Quick Attack, which ones goes first, the one with the highest speed or the one with the lowest speed?

A question I thought of today:

If Trick Room is in effect and two Pokémon use Quick Attack, which ones goes first, the one with the highest speed or the one with the lowest speed?

Lowest speed goes first.

Trick Room only affects order of moves within a priority bracket, rather than the brackets themselves. So in this case, with both Pokémon trying a priority move, it works "as abnormal".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Serebii lied, they said Mew would be next for Wi-Fi, and not only has he not updated the site since Winners Path finished, I picked up a damn Jirachi. I don't want Jirachi, I want Mew :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Where do you guys train your Pokémon? I'm sposed to go in and face the Elite 4 but my Growlithe is only approaching Level 40 now after a few runs in the Ice Cave...and Pidgeotto is still at 34/35. Halp?

wayhey wrote: »
    Where do you guys train your Pokémon? I'm sposed to go in and face the Elite 4 but my Growlithe is only approaching Level 40 now after a few runs in the Ice Cave...and Pidgeotto is still at 34/35. Halp?

In HG/SS? Victory Road and the Routes before it are the best bet.

Either that or get outside and walk around a bit with someone in the Pokéwalker :P

TheChrisD wrote: »
    In HG/SS? Victory Road and the Routes before it are the best bet.

Either that or get outside and walk around a bit with someone in the Pokéwalker :P

This pretty much. Besides those, most of the other routes are a far lower level, so training would take ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Exact same situation, I spent an hour or two earning points in the Pokethalon today so that I can afford a fire stone (on sale on Tuesdays).

Gonna Arcanine the shít out of them :cool:

Training up for the Kimono girls myself, the only feasible locations are the route south of the Safari and south of the town after the ice cave. where you opponents are low 20s so it's slooooow. Get yourself a Lucky Egg. Takes some of the pain out of it. Alternatively, train each-other's 'mons up so it's quicker for both of you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jazzkamiden

There's a great place near the safari zone. You have TM waterfall now, I know. Just walk back to Cianwood from the safari zone until you get to the cave with the two ladders. Go down until you reach the bottom. Then surf and go up the waterfall until you get to the small patch of grass. The Pokemon there are in their level 30s. I've gotten 1000exp there a good lot. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but just wondering how to pass on the Pokérus. I recently got a lovely shiny Luxray and want to EV train it, and to make it easier, give it the Pokérus. I have a Charmander in my PC with it. I tried google but some of the results are a bit confusing or contradict each other. The way I've been trying is putting charmander first in the party, going to the first patch of grass in the game, scratch the first 'mon that appears (usually pidgey), switch to Luxray and let the pidgey tackle me. Is this right? Muchos gracias for replies :D

Edit: Disregard all that, it got the 'rus :D

Another question though: Would I be right in saying to up Luxays attack and speed I fight bellsprout for attack and rattata for speed?

Atavan, how about stickying this as the "Help thread"? It's been used a good bit and there's always a question someone needs to ask. Especially me. ;):)

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question. I saw a big list of what Pokémon give which IV's but I can't find it. sorry.

Edit: Disregard all that, it got the 'rus :D

Well, despite the fact you did it, I'll say it anyway. Just keep the 'rus 'mon in your party and it will eventually spread to the rest.

Atavan, how about stickying this as the "Help thread"? It's been used a good bit and there's always a question someone needs to ask. Especially me. ;):)

Done!

Make sure you spread the Pokérus to a few more Pokémon and save them in your boxes, cos it'll eventaully wear off the Charmander if you keep taking it out

You're right about the EVs:
    Bellsprout gives 1 Attack EV
    Rattata give 1 Speed EV

xD Yay!
    I have a question anyway. If say, I wanted to train a Luxio's speed stat. And Ratatta did the job. Do I have to battle one consecutively? If so, does the chain break if I defeat say, 3 and I have to start it again?

• Advertisement

EV training doesn't work in chains so you wouldn't have to fight the Rattatas consecutively. Each Rattata defeated earns you 1 EV in Speed, regardless of what you fight before or after it.

I wonder should we have a "Game Mechanics" thread or would that going a bit too far?

I thought you had to defeat 4 though. :confused:
    You can make the thread if you want. ;3

Yeah, every Rattata defeated gives you 1 speed EV.
    4 speed EVs gives you 1 extra point in your speed stat.
    You can earn up to 255 EVs or 64 points per stat.
    You can only have 510 EVs per Pokemon which means you can really only max the EVs for 2 stats.

Does that makes sense? :)

Ok, I have a question 'cos I'm sort of new to the whole ev thing :P

Let's say I faint 20 rattata's which would give me 5 points in my speed stat. Now, let's say I still need 1,000 exp until my Pokémon gets to it's next level, can I just defeat something else to get that 1,000 exp in one go or do I have to continue defeating ratatta's to get the speed increase?

Problem is it's quite hard to do it with a level 59 Luxray defeating level 20 rattata's and Magikarps. I gave it the Pokérus and Power Anklet too.

Defeating other stuff will give you EVs in stats you don't want (unless you find something higher level that gives Attack EVs), so you have to focus on the Rattatas. The first 510* Pokémon you defeat have to be the ones you want EVs from.

From the sound of it you might already have used up your Luxrays 510 EVs getting it to level 59 in the first place :(

There's a woman in a house in Blackthorn City who'll give it an Effort Ribbon if its EVs are maxed. If she does, there's no point going any further with the EV training unless you erase its existing EVs with berries, something I've never done before.

*510 or less if you use Pokérus/EV items

Edit:

Give it 11 Pomeg Berries to reduce its HP EVs to 0
    Give it 11 Kelpsy Berries to reduce its Attack EVs to 0
    Give it 11 Qualot Berries to reduce its Defense EVs to 0
    Give it 11 Hondew Berries to reduce its Special Attack EVs to 0
    Give it 11 Grepa Berries to reduce its Special Defense EVs to 0
    Give it 11 Tamato Berries to reduce its Speed EVs to 0

Well see I got it at level 32 so there could have been some training to it before.

I'm speed training it because it's attack is fine at the moment. I battled the fisherman with 6 magikarps to the left of the city which name eludes me right now :P. Battled him few times and got luxray to up it's speed by 18 when it levelled up. Tried to do it again but it wouldn't so probably has maxed it's ev's. It just gives a mix of other stats each time.

I'll try it again a few times and then use some berries if it doesn't work out.

• Advertisement

Yeah, every Rattata defeated gives you 1 speed EV.
    4 speed EVs gives you 1 extra point in your speed stat.
    You can earn up to 255 EVs or 64 points per stat.
    You can only have 510 EVs per Pokemon which means you can really only max the EVs for 2 stats.

Does that makes sense? :)

Sort of. :)

But what happens to the ones that give you 2 and 3 points?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

To EV train efficiently you need to get a pen and piece of paper and make a note of exactly how many EVs each Pokemon get. So if you are fighting Rattata each time one is defeated, thats one EV so defeating four Rattata will give you 1 extra stat in Speed. Defeating each Raticate give you 2 Speed EV so you will only have to defeating two Raticate to get one extra stat in speed.

Make a note for the amount of EV you get for defeating each Pokemon and when you get to 252 EV in one stat, stop as you won't get any further stat boosts

Remember also when EV training to have the Pokemon hold the Macho Brace to double the EV's gained from each Pokemon defeated. Or holding the Power items available in Battle Frontier gives four EV's in a stat for each Pokemon defeated. If you can have Pokerus this also gives double EV and stacks with the items. So a Pokemon with Pokerus holding the Macho Brace who defeated the same Raticate now gets 8 EV's instead of 2. Makes things go a lot quicker

Ahhh...I understand! And for 3 it's the same, it just won't be even all the time?

Exactly. Defeating a Gengar will give three Special Attack EV's so defeating two Gengar gives you 1 Special Attack point and 2 EV towards the next one.

• Advertisement

Ok, still confused. I fought nothing but rattata between level 59 and 61 with my Luxray. Talked to the woman in Blackthorn and said she needs to work harder. Luxray had the Pokérus and Power anklet. When she went from 59 to 60 her HP got +4 and everything else +2. When she went from 60 to 61 her Attack got +4 and everything else +2. Could anyone explain why? Fought well over 20 rattatas each time.

Maybe you've already maxed out the EVs for whatever you're trying to level up?

Can I find out my SID if if I hatch a Pokémon using the masuda method? I heard you can find it out some way with the Red Gyrados, so I guess you can do it this way?

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Maybe you've already maxed out the EVs for whatever you're trying to level up?

Don't think so. Talked to the woman in blackthorn an she won't give me the effort ribbon.

Don't think so. Talked to the woman in blackthorn an she won't give me the effort ribbon.

She only gives that if you have all 510 EVs. I think you already have 255 EVs in whatever stat you're trying to raise, but don't yet have 510 total.

Ah right, I get it now. Luxray shall be force fed tamato berries so!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Champion Gold

In this 'Pokeforum', is there a thread for discussing the competitive game?

No, I'm sure you could make one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Guys i thought i had a good grasp of EV training, then i confused myself all over again. Can anyone help me out.

I want my adamant tauros to have 252 attack, 252 speed and the rest in HP. How do i go about doing that.

My plan was to give it pokerus, and a power bracer to get attack points and go battle a few gyrados's. Now, can anyone tell me how many of those i need to battle to max out attack.

EDIT: WOOHOO just got my first effort ribbon. Takes a bit of calculating, but is not as difficult as it thought, you just need to be organised

wobbles wrote: »
    Guys i thought i had a good grasp of EV training, then i confused myself all over again. Can anyone help me out.

I want my adamant tauros to have 252 attack, 252 speed and the rest in HP. How do i go about doing that.

My plan was to give it pokerus, and a power bracer to get attack points and go battle a few gyrados's. Now, can anyone tell me how many of those i need to battle to max out attack.

EDIT: WOOHOO just got my first effort ribbon. Takes a bit of calculating, but is not as difficult as it thought, you just need to be organised

You can only have a maximum of 510 EV's so putting 252 into Attack and 252 into Spped leaves only 6 for HP, or just one additional point.

Fighting Gyarados gives 2 EV. Pokerus will double it to 4 EV and the Power Bracer gives you another 4 EV so each Gyarados should give you 8 EV. Meaning you would need to fight just 32 Gyarados to max the Attack stat. Not bad.

For speed you could battle Golbat and hold the Power Anklet for the same

• Advertisement
Advertisement