Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview EPG

Options
  • 07-06-2010 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

RTE NL appear to be testing an EPG on the DTT tests. Pressing the green button on any of the channels brings up the attached on my 26" Samsung (In Dublin at least). Is this the first use of the Saorview logo? The TV3 Programmes are shown on the EPG even though a testcard is being broadcast. Interesting times ahead, perhaps not too long to a soft launch.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Interesting that they are using MHEG5 to build an EPG.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

It's good to see some more developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Receiving it from Mullaghanish.

I see it's carrying TV3's logo and epg data.

No logo for TG4 and is not accessible from TG4 (as with digital text) but carries the channel's epg data.

Attempts but fails to load from RTÉ News Now.

7/8 day epg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

The saor they epg, will only load when the tv is set to guide plus, not when in sony tv guide mode.

The saorview epg, is a little glitchy.. Doesn't always open, unless i first open guideplus, close it, then press green button.

I think i'll stick to the sony guide

STB wrote: »
    Interesting that they are using MHEG5 to build an EPG.

Thanks.

This was part of the the original Minimum Receiver Requirements for DTT in Ireland v1.0 from Feb 2008
    4.5 Electronic Programme Guide

It is recommended that Receiver be capable of outputting an alternative EPG if transmitted as a Data Broadcast Service application.

Can't find a direct reference to it in the current spec but its probably there as part of the API.

Did a search and found a post from Mayo Exile towards the end of the trial in July 08, the current MHEG-5 guide is similar to the one used during the trial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Yeah I know (in the style of Little Britain).

Up til now text was the only MHEG5 written app. Interesting that they are using an MHEG5 app on the EPG or is it just an overlay from the MHEG5 header text being broadcast still present in the stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

I noticed the logos had appeared on the text version a few days ago - you could well be right STB.

STB wrote: »
    Up til now text was the only MHEG5 written app. Interesting that they are using an MHEG5 app on the EPG or is it just an overlay from the MHEG5 header text being broadcast still present in the stream.

As we are using the same spec MHEG-5 as the UK if you can get your hands on these documents they should answer your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭frankymail

RTE NL appear to be testing an EPG on the DTT tests. Pressing the green button on any of the channels brings up the attached on my 26" Samsung (In Dublin at least). Is this the first use of the Saorview logo? The TV3 Programmes are shown on the EPG even though a testcard is being broadcast. Interesting times ahead, perhaps not too long to a soft launch.

If that's the Saorview logo i'm a bit shocked at their lack of imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

I was thinking the same thing. It just looks so... basic and dull. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭surf board

What model are you using? Can see the samsung epg but not the saorview one. anyone any ideas? green button doesnt do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭In the old days

surf board wrote: »
    What model are you using? Can see the samsung epg but not the saorview one. anyone any ideas? green button doesnt do anything.

I think from memory it's an LE26B450 (Bought in PC World at Christmas). I can get the samsung EPG by pressing 'guide'. The Saorview EPG is accessed by green button - it seems quite zippy and user friendly. It's a little bit buggy occassionally but so is the MHEG text on the tv-sometimes it can show 'not accessible 'etc. I actually don't mind the logo (if it is the logo!!). The green panel around 'saor' is presumably meant to be shaped like a tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

pa990 wrote: »
    The saor they epg, will only load when the tv is set to guide plus, not when in sony tv guide mode.

The saorview epg, is a little glitchy.. Doesn't always open, unless i first open guideplus, close it, then press green button.

I think i'll stick to the sony guide

No guide plus on my sony W4000 or v4500 i think? Yes, also finding accessing this saorview epg quite random. Sometimes it appears after a green button press, sometimes not.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

Works on PlayTv also, a bit buggy as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

How did you get it working on PlayTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

mjsmyth wrote: »
    How did you get it working on PlayTV?

I have a bluray remote and the green button brought it up. If you don't have one there is an option to bring up an 'onscreen remote' using the regular PS3 controller which does the job.

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    No guide plus on my sony W4000 or v4500 i think? Yes, also finding accessing this saorview epg quite random. Sometimes it appears after a green button press, sometimes not.
    Saorview epg not available on my two year old Sony V4500 as MHEG-5 is disabled in Ireland setting.

Soarview epg and digital text is available on my recently purchased Sony W5810 as MHEG-5 is now available when TV is installed with Ireland as the country setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

cc wrote: »
    I have a bluray remote and the green button brought it up. If you don't have one there is an option to bring up an 'onscreen remote' using the regular PS3 controller which does the job.

I tried the on screen remote, but it did not work for me earlier. I must get some batteries for my bluray remote and try it in the morning.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

What country have you set up your playtv under. If you setup under uk the green button will work. It does not work for all countries/regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

surf board wrote: »

try putting your tv into Guideplus+
    the saorview epg might load then.. this is the case with my sony

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Doesn't work under Ireland on my Samsung Syncmaster T200HD; or in UK mode (under which my channels get numbered alphabetically from 801 up) or in 'others' mode (where they get numbered alpha from 1 up)

Beginning to suspect this TV* hasn't got an MHEG5 decoder...

*its a computer monitor repurposed as a TV it seems, actually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Receiving the new Saorview EPG on my Panasonic TX-P50G10B UK Freesat model from Mullaghanish. I noticed my Digital Aertel was not loading yesterday so they must have been in the process of getting this loaded into the system.

The Green button also loads it for me and they have the logos of RTE1 and RTE2 and the old TV3 logo but no logo for TG4 or RTE News Now. It is a nice and simple product and well suited to the masses out there who will struggle with the ASO. I can imagine tonnes of disgruntled people with their €1,000+ shiny new tvs not having MHEG5 compatibility or even MPEG4.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

my samsung tv, brand new model, just on the market, only allows mheg5 if country setting is the UK.

As it's a european model, bought on pixmania, it doesn't allow setting it to the UK, so no Saorview epg, the samsung epg works fine though, looks a lot better too IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

my z81 pana had saorview epg working on Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

No joy from an LG LH3000 (Kippure), only the TV set's own guide. The MHEG text has also been unavailable the last few days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

It's working on my Samsung 26B450 from Kippure. Country setting is UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Is there currently any set top box available, that is Irish DTT compliant ( Mpeg4 ) AND has Mheg5 middleware for digital Aertel and the Saorview Epg ? I know there are no official Saorview boxes out yet, but for example, would a cheap Freeview HD box from the UK, give me Irish DTT and Mheg5 ? I know these boxes are DVBT2, but are they back compatible with DVBT ? There is a Bush Freeview HD box in the UK Argos catalogue for £99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

galtee boy wrote: »
    Is there currently any set top box available, that is Irish DTT compliant ( Mpeg4 ) AND has Mheg5 middleware for digital Aertel and the Saorview Epg ?

The Sagem Picnic does all that.

It doesn't do HD though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 thetwangman

i can confirm that the bush dvb680 freeview hd box picks up irish dtt and the saorview epg. however, there is a major cropping problem with rte two. the screen is cropped half way through the "e" in rte on the on screen logo (with the same amount of cropping on the left). it looks absolutely horrible. i've tried every setting on the box to no avail. so unless anyone here can suggest a fix, don't buy this box for irish dtt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

tmcw wrote: »
    The Sagem Picnic does all that.

It doesn't do HD though.

Can you confirm this. There is a report of Picnic giving trouble on another thread since epg change at weekend:

"Yep picture jumping and freezing very badly on Sagem Picnic Box,audio not Present at all on TV Channels, All Radio Channels Fine, while on my Philips PFL5604H Audio Totally out of Sync; no apparent drop in signal levels. "

The Philips 5010 and sigmatek 500hd also have problems from Cairn Hill transmitter since the weekend.

Advertisement