Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bichon Frise tear stains

Options
  • 01-06-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Anyone any advice? I've just been giving them a good scrub while bathing him, but could anyone recommend one of the many products available?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Put a couple of drops of cider vinegar in the drinking water, I read it on here before and tried it recently as changed the dogs food and suddenly they have these redish colour tear stains. It doesn't get rid of the stain but stops them getting worse, I cut out stained hair and theres no new stains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Thanks. So do you think the stains are related to their diet?

BTW for a tiny dog, he bleedin' stinks! I've been looking at indoor dogs food, but I'm not sure if it's okay for a puppy. I'll ask the vet, but if anyone has a recommendation.. for a non tear staining non stinky puppy food - that would be cool! :p

I had been feeding royal canin and had no problems, nice firm poops not too stinky and not too many. Recently changed to arden grange and the staining started, so for mine its the food(checked with vet not infection or anything, he thinks food too) and more poop which is softer too(sorry for all the poop talk).
    Arden grange has a good reputation it doesn't agree with my two dogs though, orijen is supposed to be very good as are james well beloved, and Robbies holistic food or luath(same company).
    Mine aren't Bichon's though, and I think tear staining is a problem with bichons.
    I wash my two with baby shampoo and conditioner(Tesco's) dilute it in warm water(about 50-50) and pour over dog rubbing it in. Rinse really well then same with conditioner. Smells great:D and is fine so long as well rinsed. Their coats are looking lovely too.
    Teeth can cause smells too so try brushing them, No toothpaste just water.
    Another thing causes smell is when anal glands need emptying:eek: go to a groomer for that one, and as its a pup it shouldn't be that(yet).

Dry food is best, what are you currently feeding and how old is the pup?

OH GOD at anal glands needing emptying :eek:

Thanks for all the info. He's 12 weeks and on Pedigree Chum dry puppy food (and the odd bit of Whiskas canned he hijacks from the cat).

Why did you stop using Royal Canin? It sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Thanks. So do you think the stains are related to their diet?

BTW for a tiny dog, he bleedin' stinks! I've been looking at indoor dogs food, but I'm not sure if it's okay for a puppy. I'll ask the vet, but if anyone has a recommendation.. for a non tear staining non stinky puppy food - that would be cool! :p

FFS! I have a Shih Tzu, (Benny) with eye problems, We took him from the pound KNOWING it'd be a lifetime (his:() of work, How can you care what smells he makes or whether his eyes look pretty all the time? Regarding his poop, what goes in= what comes out. Get him onto a good dry food (BAKERS) and cut out the treats, you will give your dog a slow painful death feeding him stuff like bits of choc and bits of fat you wouldn't eat yourself, and I think thats not a bad mantra, If you won't eat it yourself, don't ask your dog to eat it.

• Advertisement

There's your problem, pedigree and bakers and most of the supermarket brands are full of crap and chemicals, please try and find a good food, Burns is also good and cheaper than the others I listed, as is Redmills Leader(though not sure if they have puppy food).

Stopped the Royal canin as it was very expensive but will be going back to it as soon as this stuff is gone.
    If I gave mine pedigree I'd have to leave the house 'cos of the smell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Andrew33 wrote: »
    How can you care what smells he makes or whether his eyes look pretty all the time?/QUOTE]

Tear stains can hurt their skin and a dog smelling is sign of bad health sometimes, so it's kinda important. And it's not really practical to have a smelly dog in the house either. And it's much better for the dog if he is not eating food that makes his poo smell.

Also, I don't really know but I've heard Bakers is not a good food.

If you get rid of the tear stains (by cutting them out or whatever) then you can put a bit of vaseline where the tear stains would be, everyday, and that'll stop the fur getting dirty and stop the tears irritating the skin.

It's kinda weird that I read this thread cos about an hour ago I was outside with my dogs and I was just thinking that one of them, Bella, had tear stains, and then Donna (another dog!) went up and licked her tear stains away. :)

FFS! I have a Shih Tzu, (Benny) with eye problems, We took him from the pound KNOWING it'd be a lifetime (his:() of work, How can you care what smells he makes or whether his eyes look pretty all the time? Regarding his poop, what goes in= what comes out. Get him onto a good dry food (BAKERS) and cut out the treats, you will give your dog a slow painful death feeding him stuff like bits of choc and bits of fat you wouldn't eat yourself, and I think thats not a bad mantra, If you won't eat it yourself, don't ask your dog to eat it.

:confused: Did you reply to the wrong post? If not I recommend yoga. Focuses the mind..

If you're not sure about if a food is good or not read the ingredients, anything with a named meat, Chicken, beef, pork etc, is usually good, if it says meat derivatives or stuff you don't know its probably not so good, same with colours.
    Most have rice or potato added, they are better for some dogs than grains(corn, wheat, maize etc), and many foods have added fish oils (good), generally the less ingredients the better.
    Try googling some of the foods and compare ingredients.

Be careful if you try vaseline, not to close to the eyes and if like one of mine he washes himself with his paws like a cat, don't use it.

• Advertisement

mymo wrote: »
    There's your problem, pedigree and bakers and most of the supermarket brands are full of crap and chemicals, please try and find a good food, Burns is also good and cheaper than the others I listed, as is Redmills Leader(though not sure if they have puppy food).

Stopped the Royal canin as it was very expensive but will be going back to it as soon as this stuff is gone.
    If I gave mine pedigree I'd have to leave the house 'cos of the smell!
    morganafay wrote: »

Tear stains can hurt their skin and a dog smelling is sign of bad health sometimes, so it's kinda important. And it's not really practical to have a smelly dog in the house either. And it's much better for the dog if he is not eating food that makes his poo smell.

Also, I don't really know but I've heard Bakers is not a good food.

Many thanks. I'll try him with a different food. I have cut the badly stained hair, but it's a bit risky tbh and I'd rather a more natural way of stopping it if possible.

He's asleep on my lap and is GORGEOUS. :)

Its tricky cutting round eyes, get someone to help hold the head and snout, always point scissors down away from eyes, and use mid way down blade to cut, not near tip. Hope that makes sense, if you're worried ask a groomer to do it.
    Don't forget to post pic's;)

One of my dogs doesn't have tear stains but she has kinda bits of fluffy hair near her eyes, and I she's too wriggly to trim it so I tried plucking it out with my fingers and it came out easily and didn't hurt her really. Only pluck it if it comes away quite easily though, otherwise it could hurt.

If he's used to having his ear hair plucked then he might be less sensitive about plucking anyway.

I get what you're saying about the scissors. I'll look for one of those kids sharp scissors with round tips.

I had to bring him with me to a couple of shops today - the car was too hot. I felt like a prat anyway with my little poodle and handbag. Got home and realised my top buttons had opened. Paris Hilton I ain't. :o:p

morganafay wrote: »
    One of my dogs doesn't have tear stains but she has kinda bits of fluffy hair near her eyes, and I she's too wriggly to trim it so I tried plucking it out with my fingers and it came out easily and didn't hurt her really. Only pluck it if it comes away quite easily though, otherwise it could hurt.

If he's used to having his ear hair plucked then he might be less sensitive about plucking anyway.

Thanks for that. I can't imagine doing it though, jesus plucking my eyebrows hurts - ear hair must be agony.

But I'm new to this, I'll get there. If not, the vet/groomer will.

I get what you're saying about the scissors. I'll look for one of those kids sharp scissors with round tips.

I had to bring him with me to a couple of shops today - the car was too hot. I felt like a prat anyway with my little poodle and handbag. Got home and realised my top buttons had opened. Paris Hilton I ain't. :o:p

That happened to me too, (the buttons), wondered why the lorry driver beeped and waved at me at the traffic lights:o

:confused: Did you reply to the wrong post? If not I recommend yoga. Focuses the mind..

Sorry Tequila, didn't mean to get fired up. You know when you hear about an animal being misfed and you just think "holy ****, if they stopped that, things would be better for all.

That happened to me too, (the buttons), wondered why the lorry driver beeped and waved at me at the traffic lights:o

:D Bet you thought it was the dog!

But no, IT WAS YOU!

Sorry Tequila, didn't mean to get fired up. You know when you hear about an animal being misfed and you just think "holy ****, if they stopped that, things would be better for all.
    I didn't mention mis-feeding him. You just jumped on in there.

Apology accepted though. :)

I did, he was in the passenger seat in his little seat belt, about 3 months old and very cute and fluffy:D
    I even waved back, by god I was red in the face when I got home and found out the real reason:D

• Advertisement

I did, he was in the passenger seat in his little seat belt, about 3 months old and very cute and fluffy:D
    I even waved back, by god I was red in the face when I got home and found out the real reason:D
    Tart.

(Joke:D)

The plucking the ear hair thing isn't sore at all, my two don't even blink when I do it, little cornflower or talc to get a grip, then good tug and its gone. I do a little at a time, its not rooted very deep. A good groomer will show you these little things, mine did.
    Its good to do it as it allows air into the ear, helps prevent ears infections and stuff.

I didn't mention mis-feeding him. You just jumped on in there.

Apology accepted though. :)

he's asleep on my lap as i type (doesn't make it easy!)
    I have to put "Optimune" in his eyes twice a day and a "tears" gel 4 times a day but after 4 days of torture(for both of us) he now excepts that he feels better "after" I do it so he doesn't mind too much. I love him so much it hurts.:o

Thanks for that. I can't imagine doing it though, jesus plucking my eyebrows hurts - ear hair must be agony.

But I'm new to this, I'll get there. If not, the vet/groomer will.

I know! I feel bad plucking their ear hair, especially since Bichons are quite sensitive dogs and often seem to cry if you just brush through a tangle. :) But apparently they're one of the breeds who get a lot of ear hair in their ear canal :eek:

Thanks. As he's so young I haven't had to face this yet, I just wanted to make sure he didn't get an infection from the tear stains.

I gather now you pluck with your fingers? I was imaging trying to get a tweezers in his ear. :eek:

Learning curve to be sure..

I gather now you pluck with your fingers? I was imaging trying to get a tweezers in his ear. :eek:

You can pluck the ear hair with your fingers, but if it won't come out then they might have to use tweezers. It sounds worse than it is though, I don't think it hurts a lot. I guess the first time it does, but every time it probably gets easier. Well I find that with eyebrows!

I'm thinking of getting a Bichon myself, and am not looking forward to plucking the ears when she gets older!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Denimgirl

OH GOD at anal glands needing emptying :eek:

Thanks for all the info. He's 12 weeks and on Pedigree Chum dry puppy food (and the odd bit of Whiskas canned he hijacks from the cat).

Why did you stop using Royal Canin? It sounds good.
    Diamond eyes is great i get it for my yorkshire terriers it's €6.99 put it on a cotton ball and gently rub it's very good.

Doesn't diamond eyes contain antibiotics?
    I know some of those drops do, I don't think its a good idea to be using something like that all the time. I have no doubt they work, but think I'd prefer to address the problem without medicating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭wopper10

Your right Diamond eyes does have a mild antibiotic and angel eyes is another ones that has a bleaching product stay clear of both.

You need to go for an all natural product such as eye envy or happy tails branded eye pack. Both very good and al natural products no antibiotics and no bleaches! Works by counteracting the enzyme that cause the staining (I think).
    Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭1c1a

Ive a lovely little shih tzu but she also suffers from tear stains so Ive tried diamond eyes which I've found to be great so maybe you should try it:)

Advertisement