Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jaw Surgery - Mandibular Advancement

Options
  • 14-05-2010 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Had anyine had this surgery done in Ireland?? What is the cost?? What are the risks?? Any recomendations for doctors?? I am just considering, dont know if I am going to get surgery done or just get only braces and fix the problem with camouflage method (extracting 2 premolars and pulling teeth back)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭day dreamer

There are some risks, approx 10% will have a numb or tingling lip afterwards. Also you will need a good few weeks of work, school etc to recover. Costs depend on if you have private health insurance or not but 4000 approx.

Go back to the orthodontist or dentist and discuss the risks and benefits some more. If you dont like your teeth but are happy with your facial appearance and jaw line then go for the compromise, if you dont like your chin and jaw line then think about the op. It really is up to you, the surgery and the braces are elective

Your orthodontist will probably work closely with a particular surgeon so I wont PM any recommnedations. There is only about 7 or 8 surgeons anyway that do it!
    there are some good sites particularly from American surgeons to try out, google "orthognathic surgery"

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

im going for this surgery in a few months, there are a few posters on this site that are having it done so its more common than you think, im currently wearing braces and they position the teeth first before the surgery, i know there is an element of risk with the numbness but the surgeon told me it was 1 in a 100, i am covered under health insurance so if you dont have any you could always sign up now because the surgery could be a year or 2 away if your only thinking about it now, there are plenty of videos on you tube of before and after results and to be honest that is what motivated me to go through with it

The problem with deciding in 2 years is that if the OP has the extractions and chooses a compromise then they will be going down a different route. It may not be an option to change their mind about surgery if they choose a compromise to start. This would need to be disucussed with the orthodontist and surgeon beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pablop

How about hospital costs?are there any??

You need to discuss this with the surgeon, orthodontist and your insurer if you have private insurance. There will usually be hospital costs for the bed but it varies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 pablop

Can anyone PM me with name of surgeon who has low prices in Dublin or near Dublin? Unfortunateatly I dont have any private insurance at the moment so will have to pay for all of it (even if I get policy from company that covers surgery I would have to wait 5 years to claim refund for pre-existing condition:()

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭ciaracp

edited at OPs request

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

You should be absolutely happy with the outcome if you are going to go through this type of facial surgery. The chin surgery is called genioplasty. Get things the way you want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Evealliex

ciaracp wrote: »
    Hi all...

Ive posted on this a few times already.
    My ortho, prostho and the surgeon had to meet up to discuss my case (only last week) and the outcome they came to was that I should get a mandibular advancement to even out my underbite.

Now, the only problem with this is I have quite severe features; a large chin and quite a large nose.
    The first visit to my ortho he suggested getting some bone taken from my chin and maybe a rhinoplasty at the same time.

SO...what i really want to know (before wednesday when im meeting the ortho again) is how to broach the subect of getting both done. The surgeon id imagine will say that the surgery isnt essentially for cosmetic reasons, but on the otherhand...this is going to cost me in and around 23,000 (with ortho and cosmetic work thereafter) so should I feel entitled to want the best possible outcome for me?

Maybe an ortho out there could advise me :)
    Regards,
    Ciara

Hi Ciara,

It's been a long time since you posted this, but right now I have the same problem. I was wondering what you have done about it, and if that had good results.

I'd love it if you could respond before Thursday.. because that's when I'm meeting with the ortho again ;)

Regards,

Eve.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

@eve, the OP hasnt been online since August, they are likely not going to see this..

What are your questions?

• Advertisement

@eve, the OP hasnt been online since August, they are likely not going to see this..

What are your questions?

Well, so my ortho decided that to take out my underbite, I should either get a mandibular advancement or that two teeth (or so) should be taken from my upper row of teeth, so he could pull those teeth to the back a little.

The problems I have with mandibular advancement is that there are some risks, I've heard a few people that have problems with it in the future (But I don't really understand what), and that when I get the advancement, my chin will be very large. But the ortho told me he could take some bone away. Will that make it more like it was before? Or is it still a lot more different?

Then you have the removal of the teeth at my upper row and because he told me that it would make my upper lip look funny, I don't really want that. But if the mandibular advancement is such a bad thing.. should I do this or is the other choice better anyway?

I can't have braces, by the way, because I'm too old for that :s

I'm sorry for the late response, but I hope you can still answer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tooth_doc

Adults have braces :) my oldest customer was 63 :) your case obviously have multi disciplinary input , which itself shows yours is a complex high treatment need case. Majority of these cases go without a hitch and gives excellent results. Any surgical procedure has inherent risks , best people to discuss this is really your surgical team because they have first hand knowledge of your circumstance

Okay, thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tooth_doc

Evealliex wrote: »
    Okay, thank you :)

My pleasure

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bartek664

Hey guys can anyone help me with this ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057138675

same problem jaw surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 10 longzer12

im going for this surgery in a few months, there are a few posters on this site that are having it done so its more common than you think, im currently wearing braces and they position the teeth first before the surgery, i know there is an element of risk with the numbness but the surgeon told me it was 1 in a 100, i am covered under health insurance so if you dont have any you could always sign up now because the surgery could be a year or 2 away if your only thinking about it now, there are plenty of videos on you tube of before and after results and to be honest that is what motivated me to go through with it

Did your healthcare cover every cost from the braces to the surgery? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

longzer12 wrote: »
    Did your healthcare cover every cost from the braces to the surgery? Thanks

giphy.gif

Advertisement