Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Gang CC Sportives 2010

Options
  • 05-05-2010 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just dropping a post on behalf of my club to make people aware of the opening of registration for our sportives to be held in September.

The Chain Gang CC, Tralee is happy to announce the 2010 edition of the Conor Pass Challenge, Kerrys premier challenge/sportive cycle.

In addition to this classic 110km course the Club will also be hosting a 30km family friendly cycle – the Camp Cruise and a 150km challenge cycle running the complete Dingle Peninsula called the Blasket Blast.

To ease entrants registration and to allow for better planning, online entry for the cycles has been set up for this year’s events via the following link - https://regonline.activeeurope.com/chain_gang_sportives - with entry pricing as follows:

• Camp Cruise 30km (10-18 years) - €5
    • Camp Cruise 30km (18+) - €10
    • Conor Pass Challenge (16+) - €10 with Cycling Ireland Licence, €20 without
    • Blasket Blast (16+) - €10 with Cycling Ireland Licence, €20 without

Registration will also be available on the morning of the event but with the addition of a €5 late registration fee.

We are also happy to announce that our event accommodation partners, the Carlton Hotel Tralee, has kindly offered an event accommodation rate for participants travelling to Tralee for our 2010 sportive challenges. Participants wishing to avail of the discount will be able to book accommodation at the Carlton Hotel Tralee, just 2 minutes from the event start point, (CBS secondary school, Tralee) for the dates surrounding the event for just €45 B&B per person sharing/night (normally €80) or €70 single supplement B&B/night on mentioning the event at time of booking by phone - (066) 7199100 - and by presenting their event registration email on check in.

Route details and postal entry forms have been attached here and while every effort has been made to include as much information as possible, if you have any queries about your route don’t hesitate to drop a line at info@thechaingang.cc and we'll do our utmost to see you right.

We hope to put on a great set of cycles this year, with all the stops being pulled out to put on what we endeavour to make a brilliant day on the bike.

Come to Tralee and take on what we feel are the best challenge cycles, in some of the most spectacular countryside both Kerry and Ireland has to offer.

Kind regards,

Darragh Crowley
    Club Secretary

259zxhc.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭hynesie

Should update the date on that poster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

D'oh!

and done!

Just a quick update - the Chain Gang CC is happy to have Piranha Bike Products working with us on our sportives this year.

Piranaha have kindly offered some great prizes for the events and all entrants will be in with a chance of winning a little something to bring home in addition to (hopefully) a smile after a good day in the saddle and more kms on the tyres.

53ac2h.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

just looking into booking the hotel in your partners section . is there a deal with them ,as they have put up there prices for that weekend

jwshooter wrote: »
    just looking into booking the hotel in your partners section . is there a deal with them ,as they have put up there prices for that weekend

Hey, I don't have a web discount code from them just yet to apply the discount online but if you phone them and inform them you'd like to book in as a participant in the Chain Gang CC cycles in September they should give you the discounted rate straight away - if you have any trouble let me know and I'll chase things up for you

• Advertisement

The Conor Pass - the kind of challenging climb that could be confused on some days for the Col de Tourmalet...

:D

Looks like the weekend of the 18th/19th just became free for Kerry based cyclists after todays game in Croke Park...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Fair play to ye. But some of the other Kerry promoters might have a quibble with your claim of "Kerrys premier challenge/sportive cycle".

Fair play to ye. But some of the other Kerry promoters might have a quibble with your claim of "Kerrys premier challenge/sportive cycle".

TBH other 'promoters' describe their events as the 'ultimate cycling sportive' (to give one example) which would be an equally bold statement. I'd be inclined to leave quibbles to the side and let the event do the talking.

Our aim is to put on the best sportive over what we consider to be the best route in Kerry.

It's a strong statement and one we intend to live up to so we invite everyone to come along and take part to make up their own mind - online registration is open until September 10th and we'll have registration on the morning also.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

Great day last year.

• Advertisement

Just one month to go to the 2010 Chain Gang CC Sportives!!

Are you ready to take on the Conor Pass Challenge?
    Do you think you'll breeze around the Blasket Blast?
    Or do you just want to chill on the Camp Cruise?

We look forward to seeing you on September 18th for whatever challenge you decide to take with us.

Just a short post this morning to let people who might be considering taking part know that online entry will be closing on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Just a short post this morning to let people who might be considering taking part know that online entry will be closing on Friday

Looks like its going to be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Wish I could do it, was looking forward to it, but I have my nephews christening that day. Would love to do Connors Pass for sure.

I heard that a good few lads from Blarney CC are coming as well.

Just four days to go and I've had a few questions come in to me today about suitability of bikes for the cycles on Saturday and said I'd better let people know what the story is.

Firstly, for the Chain Gang Sportives you don’t need to have an expensive bike, just that the one you do have is appropriate to the route you intend to take and that it is in a road worthy state, the basics being having:
    • tyres in good order and correctly inflated,
    • gears and brakes working properly and effectively and
    • set up appropriately for the person using it i.e. saddle and bar height correct
    Right – the next question is what type of bike should I use?

For the two longer routes a road bike is recommended. These events different than a charity cycle in that they have a minimum average speed to meet to avoid having to accept broom wagon assistance to be brought back in contact with the group – a road bike will be advantageous in keeping ahead of the broom and rolling with the rest of the peloton.

Hybrids/flat bar racers are fine for all routes – they’re not designed to go as fast or efficiently as a road bike but so long as the riders fitness is up to the challenge of the route they are OK.

Mountain bikes, even with slick tyres, are not recommended for the longer routes – they will put riders at a large aerodynamic and mechanical disadvantage that it is unlikely they will be able to overcome even if they are very fit. Mountain bikes are however quite suitable for the shorter route once the tyres are inflated to the recommended pressure.

Finally, while they are fast, they are not stable enough to use in a group of riders and so *Time Trial bikes are Not Allowed* on safety grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭kerryscoob

Entry on Saturday morning still ok??

Yup, no problem at all - we should have the registration desk set up to take entries from 8am and from then untill ~9.20am before departing on the route @ 9.30am(ish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

What sort of numbers expected.
    Sort of concerned that there is a broom wagon sweep. I mean is this expected to be an all out hammerfest to the base of the Pass.
    I sorta like to go along at my own pace tbh.

Just four days to go and I've had a few questions come in to me today about suitability of bikes for the cycles on Saturday and said I'd better let people know what the story is.

Firstly, for the Chain Gang Sportives you don’t need to have an expensive bike, just that the one you do have is appropriate to the route you intend to take and that it is in a road worthy state, the basics being having:
    • tyres in good order and correctly inflated,
    • gears and brakes working properly and effectively and
    • set up appropriately for the person using it i.e. saddle and bar height correct
    Right – the next question is what type of bike should I use?

For the two longer routes a road bike is recommended. These events different than a charity cycle in that they have a minimum average speed to meet to avoid having to accept broom wagon assistance to be brought back in contact with the group – a road bike will be advantageous in keeping ahead of the broom and rolling with the rest of the peloton.

Hybrids/flat bar racers are fine for all routes – they’re not designed to go as fast or efficiently as a road bike but so long as the riders fitness is up to the challenge of the route they are OK.

Mountain bikes, even with slick tyres, are not recommended for the longer routes – they will put riders at a large aerodynamic and mechanical disadvantage that it is unlikely they will be able to overcome even if they are very fit. Mountain bikes are however quite suitable for the shorter route once the tyres are inflated to the recommended pressure.

Finally, while they are fast, they are not stable enough to use in a group of riders and so *Time Trial bikes are Not Allowed* on safety grounds.

Does this mean i cant wear my tear drop helmet:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Hammerfest all the way !!! :D

ROK ON wrote: »
    I mean is this expected to be an all out hammerfest to the base of the Pass.

Murph100 wrote: »
    Hammerfest all the way !!! :D

It will be good speed work for the Champs.

ROK ON wrote: »
    What sort of numbers expected.
    Sort of concerned that there is a broom wagon sweep. I mean is this expected to be an all out hammerfest to the base of the Pass.
    I sorta like to go along at my own pace tbh.

No - no fear of an all out hammerfest and we're hoping for 60+ for both the Conor Pass Challenge and Blasket Blast and we'd be very pleased to get 30-40 for the 30km route too (Not exactly an An Post sportive sized mob but from small seeds big trees grow).

We aim to keep things handy and comfortable on the road on the way out the peninsula and leave everyone climb at their own pace when the road starts to rise. The pace will not be stricltly controlled from Dingle but riders will have to stay stay behind the lead marshalls car until 20km from the finish when it will pull ahead to allow those that are on for it have 'the gallop home' over Curraghmore if they want to.

The only fear of the broom would be if one is totally unable to keep with other riders as the day goes on and becomes very disconnected from the main body of riders. In this situation a rider(s) will be given the opportunity to choose to accept broom support in rejoining the main bunch or continuing but without the advantage of following support vehicles.

This as we want to try to ensure the highest level of safety and support for all participants and this is best achieved in avoiding a situation where there are riders spread over a very large distance which would make ensuring everyone can be rapidly assisted by our support vehicles that much more difficult.

@Crash/Murph - while we don't have an official KOM (as it's a leisure event) I can see the Schlecks and Contadors on the day having a good pull off the Pass for the annual bragging rights as first to summit. Last year there was some amazing shows of climbing brilliance by Paul Griffin and others right to the summit - it would inspire anyone to train harder.

Oh, and we wont stop you from wearing the pointy aero hat - but the pointy bike has to stay at home!

I nearly sold me bike after seeing that !!!
    Last year there was some amazing shows of climbing brilliance by Paul Griffin and others right to the summit - it would inspire anyone to train harder.

Murph100 wrote: »
    I nearly sold me bike after seeing that !!!

I heard some people almost bought EPO after seeing that!!!

Apparently the view of them from the lead car was amazing. All it needed was a hovering Eurosport chopper and a yellow Mavic neutral support bike for it to look like part of the Tour of Ireland because the competition was right there on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

Hoping to turn up on Saturday morning to register assuming it's not pissing.

How tough is this climb by the way? What is max/average gradient? Got no Granny gear.

After the Etape Hibernia, my first event, I had assumed all these things had masses of riders. I won't have anywhere to hide with only 60+!

Ah 'tis grand, sat nav says 6%, hits 8% or 9% in a few places but its alright, and its early on so, you've only 40km of a nice easy roll out from Tralee in the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

That sounds like a challenge :D I've actually done the Conor's pass route a few times on a mountain bike with knobblies and had no issue's, the blasket one might be a bit long though but I'd still be willing to try as I have been around that part of the route as well on a mountainbike.

Had a great day out last year at this but after the trip to cork last weekend I'm staying local but will pencil it in for next year. Good luck to all taking part, some amazing scenery up on top of the pass.

Is there a food stop or will we have to load up?

• Advertisement

BTW- the cost is very rasonable compared to some of the events which provide little value in return.

Advertisement