Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-03-2010, 16:57   #1
Reenascreena

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers (under construction)

Just saw this press release:

GREEN LIGHT FOR BANDON ROAD & SARSFIELD ROAD FLYOVERS A MAJOR BOOST FOR CORK - MCGRATH

12th March 2010.

Cork South Central T.D. Michael McGrath has warmly welcomed the news that the NRA has given its approval for the planned interchanges at the Bandon road and Sarsfield road roundabouts to move to tender stage.

"The NRA has given its approval for the tender process to proceed for these two strategically important interchanges on the N25 South Ring Road network. I understand the plan is to have contracts in place later this year, with construction on the interchanges starting next year. This is tremendous news for Cork City and County.

"The completion of the Kinsale road interchange in 2006 had a hugely positive impact on the South Ring road network. The real benefits of that investment, however, were never going to be realised until the interchanges at the Bandon road and Sarsfield road roundabouts were developed aswell.

"Once these new interchanges are completed, the South Ring Road will be a critical piece of infrastructure and will be an important asset for the region. I have no doubt but that the investment in these interchanges will pay a rich economic dividend for Cork in the years ahead. The interchanges will also make daily life so much easier for thousands of Cork commuters.

"I very much look forward to seeing progress on the development of these two key interchanges in the period ahead. I wish to compliment Minister Noel Dempsey and the NRA for supporting this critical project for Cork," concluded Deputy McGrath.

ENDS.
Advertisement
12-03-2010, 17:02   #2
marmurr1916

Good if it happens. Let's wait and see. For some strange reason, I don't trust statements made by politicians...
Thanks from:
12-03-2010, 17:34   #3
Chris_5339762

This came out of nowhere and I really think it needs to happen. This is one scheme that has been senselessly ignored for years.

God knows where the money is coming from as this isnt a PPP as far as I know, and since there was no money (at all) available for starting publicly funded schemes in 2010 and probably 2011 I'd be dubious about this until I see tender notices.
12-03-2010, 17:58   #4
Amtmann
Closed Account

How much, roughly, would each scheme cost? I wonder if they'll both be done simultaneously as one contract...
12-03-2010, 19:02   #5
Chris_5339762

Yeah they'll be as one, its bigger than most people think as it includes an upgrade of the DC inbetween and the addition of C/D lanes.

http://www.corkrdo.ie/files/N25%20SO...ING%20ROAD.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf N25 SOUTH RING ROAD.pdf (3.28 MB, 357 views)

Last edited by Amtmann; 17-09-2010 at 22:09. Reason: attached as PDF
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-03-2010, 19:40   #6
wellbutty
Closed Account

Is there much traffic going south on the Sarsfield Road? The mainline offramp heading west looks to be fairly short on Google Maps, could traffic still be backed up on the mainline? Maybe another slip should be added like in the attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (77.0 KB, 402 views)

Last edited by wellbutty; 12-03-2010 at 19:55.
12-03-2010, 20:56   #7
Typewriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenascreena View Post
Just saw this press release:
Source?

Last edited by Typewriter; 12-03-2010 at 20:58.
12-03-2010, 23:23   #8
Reenascreena

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_jesus View Post
Source?
Michael McGrath!!!! in my inbox
13-03-2010, 10:12   #9
Amtmann
Closed Account

I've emailed the NRA asking them to provide some more information. While it's brilliant that this seems to be going ahead, it's just possible that the problems at the approach to the Jack Lynch Tunnel will worsen at peak times. In my email I've also asked them when they intend to make known their plans for Dunkettle.
Advertisement
14-03-2010, 14:45   #10
invinciblePRSTV
Closed Account

Although i cannot find this on their website, it was reported in de paper yesterday so it must be true!

However i reckon they got the info from the same source as the OP, and McGrath has already established himself as a classic bluffer. Remember this was the man who promised that the Cork airport debt would be eliminated on his watch. So i'll believe it when i see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellbutty View Post
Is there much traffic going south on the Sarsfield Road? The mainline offramp heading west looks to be fairly short on Google Maps, could traffic still be backed up on the mainline? Maybe another slip should be added like in the attached
Not particularly, going south takes you up into the suburban hell of Eagle Valley & Togher housing estates. It currently backs up going onto the link at peak times alright but nothing too major.

Last edited by invinciblePRSTV; 14-03-2010 at 15:02.
15-03-2010, 08:44   #11
fresca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5339762 View Post
Yeah they'll be as one, its bigger than most people think as it includes an upgrade of the DC inbetween and the addition of C/D lanes.

http://www.corkrdo.ie/files/N25%20SO...ING%20ROAD.pdf
Do you notice that the document went for publication consultation in 2002?
Will it be 10 years after public consultation before work starts on the ground?
I hope this project moves ahead quickly...
16-03-2010, 17:42   #12
54kroc

This is great news and I hope it happens quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furet View Post
I've also asked them when they intend to make known their plans for Dunkettle.
God knows how they'll solve that one.
16-03-2010, 18:47   #13
Amtmann
Closed Account

Received this reply:

Quote:
Thank you for your email.

The Authority has recently requested Cork County Council to progress
with the preparation of tender documentation for the Bandon and
Sarsfield Road Interchanges with a view to awarding the contract early
next year, subject to the availability of funding. Currently, it is
intended to let one contract for both interchanges.

The Authority is currently tendering for design consultants to develop a
design solution for the Dunkettle Interchange and prepare EIS and
associated documentation, however, there is no date yet as to when a
final solution for this area will be available for public display.
(5) thanks from:
16-03-2010, 19:47   #14
niloc1951

Is there no end to the NRA half doing jobs first day and then having to redesign/rebuild within a few years.
Examples of this include, M50 Tallagh to Sandyford opened mid noughties and since upgraded from two to three lanes, Kinsale Road roundabout, various M'ways without rest/service areas, Newlands Cross redesigned in mid nineties and now due for redesign again, Sarsfields and Bandon road roundabouts, the list could go on.
How is such incompetence allowed to exist not to mind the huge waste of money and added disruption such fiascos cause.
17-03-2010, 08:26   #15
serfboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by niloc1951 View Post
Is there no end to the NRA half doing jobs first day and then having to redesign/rebuild within a few years.
Examples of this include, M50 Tallagh to Sandyford opened mid noughties and since upgraded from two to three lanes, Kinsale Road roundabout, various M'ways without rest/service areas, Newlands Cross redesigned in mid nineties and now due for redesign again, Sarsfields and Bandon road roundabouts, the list could go on.
How is such incompetence allowed to exist not to mind the huge waste of money and added disruption such fiascos cause.
Agree with all this and will add one further - how could they upgrade the Kinsale Road roundabout and leave the Sarsfields and Bandon road roundabouts as they are?

(And yes, I know, answer is probably funding - but still ...)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion