Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sniping

Options
  • 08-03-2010 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭

Just started sniping recently, any tips or advice would be handy for a beginner sniper :) Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Kersmash wrote: »
    Just started sniping recently, any tips or advice would be handy for a beginner sniper :) Cheers!

depends if youre playing normal or hardcore games

youtube - sniper vids

obviously as you are just starting out , you should be using stopping power . When you get better swap stopping power for cold-blooded

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

From an absolute beginner, but still, don't camp, but rather, move constantly, taking care to remain behind your team mates if in a TDM.

If you've got people in front of you, they'll usually be the ones to attract the attention of nice juicy targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

dont use intervention until your really good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

dont use intervention until your really good

I wouldnt say that, use whatever you feel most confortable with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

I got pretty good at sniping by using a sniper on every map not just the ones suited for it. nothing like running around a corner on favela with a sniper to get good a quick scoping and aiming.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

obviously as you are just starting out , you should be using stopping power . When you get better swap stopping power for cold-blooded

Agreed, also equip the ACOG when available, reduces random sway at expense of small amount of zoom. I use bling pro and carry a ump as backup for hairy moments when some cnut gets the drop on you. FMJ attachment is handy too for the odd time you spot a barrel sticking out of a window, they deserve to die for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

M21 ebr and acog , can double up as an assault rifle, i found it handy a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭shawpower

minotour wrote: »
    Agreed, also equip the ACOG when available, reduces random sway at expense of small amount of zoom.

Doesn't the ACOG improve the zoom?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

shawpower wrote: »
    Doesn't the ACOG improve the zoom?? :confused:

Acog improves the zoom from a red dot (assault gun smg,lmg) , but reduces the zoom from the sniper guns

Shammy wrote: »
    Acog improves the zoom from a red dot (assault gun smg,lmg) , but reduces the zoom from the sniper guns

Hmm. Okay. Didn't know that. I could have sworn that the graphic ingame where you jump between the attachments shows an improvement in the zoom when you select ACOG.

So either I've picked that up completely wrong and it shows a disimprovement, or else the graphic is just the standard one from all guns and is wrong for the ACOG on the sniper.

Cheers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

If you feel any lag at all either change class or drop out off the game. There's nothing more frustrating than being in a game where you keep lining up head shots and nothing hapens because of dumb lag. Some times it can be really subtle but you pick it up when sniping.Took me a while to cop it. One or two games I played struggling to get kills and couldn't figure out why I wasn't hitting guys, regardless of having some guys in the sights for ages and shooting them 3 or 4 times.
    Never camp or stay in the one place. You do this, kiss your killstreak goodbye cause chances are some one will reveng kill you after you snipe them. Get to know the maps backwards and know the best places to move around to.The most obvious ones are the worst and are key points for other snipers to keep an eye on. E.g. the little shed(down by the b flag in domination), upstairs window or the main house windows in estate.
    Move the sensitivity up on the controls as it allows you to sweep the scope alot quicker.Takes abit of time to get used to if you're not used to it but it will dramatically improve your sniping after a while.
    And don't snipe on the small maps, you will get destroyed by seasoned players. E.g. if I see a guy sniping on terminal, I know all too well where he will go to snipe and I can either avoid these places or creep up on hi easily and stab the ****e out of them.
    Oh and have a good secondary or you'll get slaughtered if you run into a guy when moving from spot to spot as its fairly hard to hip fire with the sniper rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Tallon wrote: »
    I wouldnt say that, use whatever you feel most confortable with

I ment it kinda so you wont have just the 1 shot and then they will probally shoot you before you get the second shot, but if you were using something like the m14 you could shoot them better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

minotour wrote: »
    Agreed, also equip the ACOG when available, reduces random sway at expense of small amount of zoom.

But you can't steady it like when using the normal scope - why not just use the FAL instead, as it's better for the range you're on about.

There is a noticeable difference between the range from standard to ACOG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

The best advice I can give you is stick with it, you will die alot in the first couple of levels and have a tiny amount of kills but you will get better.

I use a Barret 50 + FMJ
    Sleight of hand pro
    Stopping power pro
    Steady Aim pro

Akimo magnums as backups, with a couple of flag nades.
    Sensitivity at 8 in my setup
    NO ACOG in sight in my setup personally I can't stand it nor do I like it for quickscopes.

Don't run in the front of the pack because you will get slaughtered those damm assualt rifles are way to powerful, keep a eye on your corners and back constantly, if engaging make sure you have a way out! or a bush to go prone in.

Take your time make sure your enemy is always in the middle of your crosshairs before zooming in saves you pissing around with the scope trying to find them again because you were to slow.

keep moving don't stand still for more than 15 seconds move to a different area, other wise some witch will come up from behind and slice you with a tactical knife.

I have been sniping since my first prestige on my fourth prestige still carrying my barret and still blowing heads off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

Hmm. Okay. Didn't know that. I could have sworn that the graphic ingame where you jump between the attachments shows an improvement in the zoom when you select ACOG.

So either I've picked that up completely wrong and it shows a disimprovement, or else the graphic is just the standard one from all guns and is wrong for the ACOG on the sniper.

Cheers.

That graphic is for the range, not the zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Whatever you do don't be a campy pr1ck who lies down in the grass on one end of the map as that never works (maybe in hardcore) as you will get caught eventually. So be constantly on the move always behind various cover.

I find that the Intervention and the Barrett .50 cal are the two best snipers IMO, as the other one's sacrifice your one shot kill effectiveness. Attachment wise you should use FMJ or heartbeat sensor if you're that way inclined. Maybe thermal in maps like Wasteland and Underpass.

Secondary weapons are also very important. The best ones I think are the Akimbo Magnums, Akimbo Rafficas and any shotguns other than the akimbo rangers/1887's.

Your quickness with aiming and quickscoping etc. all come with practice.

Also ACOG scopes on snipers are shíte, the cons majorly outweigh the pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Cheers lads, I was messing around with the Barret at first, then tried out the Intervention and fell in love. <3 Bolt action. I'm getting to the stage where I'm coming out of matches with a positive kdr, well most of the time anyway, and it's not taking me as long to aim. I do find sometimes I'll wait too long for the shot to be perfect, and end up getting killed, whereas I probably shoulda just fired and would most likely have got the kill. I've also gotten into the habit of reloading constantly, it's a bit ridiculous. But I do that with assault rifles too anyway so! I love using the thermal scope, I think it's really handy. Camping really doesn't work either. I hate campers anyway, so I'll usually try get a kill or two and then move on to the next area. That's how I roll 8)

Also, I'm using the PP2000 as a secondary, with a red dot sight. I freaking love this gun.

Cheers for the advice everyone, keep it coming!

James G wrote: »

So the ACOG reduces zoom, but increases Range? okay. That doesn't make much sense, but you are right about the graphics. How could a scope increase the range of a gun, while decreasing the zoom? IW at it again me thinks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jimmy5bellys

Hutch (I think) had a good video on youtube about this yesterday. It was number one in the gaming section. It was like top 10 tips for sniping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Hutch (I think) had a good video on youtube about this yesterday. It was number one in the gaming section. It was like top 10 tips for sniping.

Watched it the other day...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

Intervention thermal sight

sleight of hand PRO
    stopping power PRO
    steady aim PRO

silenced p2000 <<<hand down best machine pistol in the game

know where your teamates are, if they are behind you, you know you have slim to none chance of being flanked so snipe away, try move after 2 or 3 kills and try suss out where the enemy is...practice makes perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 lunaticjimmy

yeah some pretty good advice but intervention is da best all rounder sniper for those close in counters and also the long shots :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 lunaticjimmy

oya forgot too say sleight of hand stopping power and ninja with da last comment :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

So the ACOG reduces zoom, but increases Range? okay. That doesn't make much sense, but you are right about the graphics. How could a scope increase the range of a gun, while decreasing the zoom? IW at it again me thinks...
    Just to clarify for you, when you're looking at the bar chart that lists the weapons stats, selecting the ACOG doesn't change the weapons firing range. It affects the level of zoom in game though. The ACOG is a step up from the red dot or holo sight, but its a step down in magnification from the normal sniper scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Kersmash wrote: »
    Cheers lads, I was messing around with the Barret at first, then tried out the Intervention and fell in love. <3 Bolt action. I'm getting to the stage where I'm coming out of matches with a positive kdr, well most of the time anyway, and it's not taking me as long to aim. I do find sometimes I'll wait too long for the shot to be perfect, and end up getting killed, whereas I probably shoulda just fired and would most likely have got the kill. I've also gotten into the habit of reloading constantly, it's a bit ridiculous. But I do that with assault rifles too anyway so! I love using the thermal scope, I think it's really handy. Camping really doesn't work either. I hate campers anyway, so I'll usually try get a kill or two and then move on to the next area. That's how I roll 8)

Also, I'm using the PP2000 as a secondary, with a red dot sight. I freaking love this gun.

Cheers for the advice everyone, keep it coming!

Thats pretty much what i use except i have akimbo pp2000s, iv gotten well over the 500 kill mark with them by now & i do think they are the most effective machine pistol.

In my opinion u gotta use thermal, even if the enemy is using cold blooded they still are quite recognisable , the only downfall with thermal is Sub Base & Derail , very hard to spot the guys with the white backdrop so switch back to Acog or regular scope when on these maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

marko91 wrote: »
    Intervention thermal sight

sleight of hand PRO
    stopping power PRO
    steady aim PRO

silenced p2000 <<<hand down best machine pistol in the game

know where your teamates are, if they are behind you, you know you have slim to none chance of being flanked so snipe away, try move after 2 or 3 kills and try suss out where the enemy is...practice makes perfect.

Is it just me or is that not a very noobish set up for a sniper .......the amount of snipers I kill because they don't have cold-blooded is unreal . As soon as the opposite team gets a uav youre buggered , or if anyone on their team is using thermal youre buggered . Like say on wasteland you can spot the enemy snipers a mile away . Also I see alot of snipers using fall or red/blue tiger on their gun camo . Very noobish lol
    If youre lying down in grass youre impossible to see but youre rifle can be seen easily . Wasteland - woodland camo . Afgan - desert camo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,103 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Is it just me or is that not a very noobish set up for a sniper .......the amount of snipers I kill because they don't have cold-blooded is unreal . As soon as the opposite team gets a uav youre buggered , or if anyone on their team is using thermal youre buggered . Like say on wasteland you can spot the enemy snipers a mile away . Also I see alot of snipers using fall or red/blue tiger on their gun camo . Very noobish lol
    If youre lying down in grass youre impossible to see but youre rifle can be seen easily . Wasteland - woodland camo . Afgan - desert camo

It's silly not having stopping power on a sniper unless it's hardcore, unless you like hitting people, not killing them and them killing you.

Easy fix for the camo problem you have too, don't lie in the grass...also how is it noobish to have blue tiger/red tiger/fall? They aren't easy to get...

James G wrote: »
    LD 50 wrote: »
    Just to clarify for you, when you're looking at the bar chart that lists the weapons stats, selecting the ACOG doesn't change the weapons firing range. It affects the level of zoom in game though. The ACOG is a step up from the red dot or holo sight, but its a step down in magnification from the normal sniper scope.

Cheers. I thought so. No way the ACOG could extend the range instead of the zoom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jimmy5bellys

I've 2 Sniper classes, but the main one I use is:

50 Cal and Thermal
    M1 Shotgun with Grip
    Claymore

Scavanger
    Stopping Power
    Steady Aim

I used the Intervention on my first play through and the 50 Cal on my second. No real preferance tbh, just going for the challanges is all.

I use scavanger over slieght of hand is because I'm more likely to hard scope than quick scope. I'm ussually looking down the sights anyway, the time saved isn't too much use to me. I'd prefer to have a second claymore.

Stopping power is a must. Turns upper torso shots into kills.

Steady aim is a must too, especially if you rely on hard scopes like me, longer holding the breathe. Also increased hip fire is useful with the 50 cal is you get stuck, you can empty the clip fairly handy. And doubled up with increased hip fire on the shotgun... happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Think i might have been responsible for the ACOG Vs Regular scope discussion, apologies for that, thought it was obvious. I have no facts to back that up by the way, its just quite apparent in play, the magnification level is slighly less than regular scope, traded off against random sway. I prefer that as I tended to kick off a knife swipe while attempting to hold breath, nuisance!

As for setup, completly agree with the cold-blooded requirement. Ideally with a silencer attached but the tradeoff on damage is too high. I use blingpro with FMJ & ACOG, i generally always drop them with one shot, wasnt always like that, just took some practise.

I think Sleight of hand is unnecessary for snipers as you should be stashed away somewhere safe with time to implement a reload strategy and no need for quick aiming.

Always carry akimbo pp2000's for backup and an auld mine to cut the legs off any ramblers who get too close.

One-shot and relocate, thats the key. Barret's my weapon of choice but like the intervention too.

Advertisement