Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-03-2010, 17:48   #1
MagicSean
Closed Account

Low Carb Foods

Does anyone know where low carb products can be bought in Ireland or Northern Ireland. Or is there a website that ships products to Ireland?
Advertisement
01-03-2010, 17:57   #2
Pembily

What do you mean by low carb?? Protein is no carb, certain veg is low / no carb??

What kinda food in particular?
01-03-2010, 18:10   #3
El_Dangeroso

There are loads out there if you google but my advice would be don't waste your money.

They are very expensive, often taste nothing like the real thing, give you digestive 'issues' and stall your weight loss.

I think every low-carber goes through that phase of eating 'frankenfoods' but everyone learns the lesson that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

The whole point of any healthy eating regime is to eat unprocessed food.

If you really need something carby then have the best quality version of it that you can obtain and enjoy it as a rare treat. Those fake biscuit/cake/bread things just leave you unsatisfied and still craving the real thing.
Thanks from:
01-03-2010, 18:17   #4
corkcomp

Send a message via MSN to corkcomp
if you want bread / pasta / rice then eat whole grains in sensible quantities. if you want low carb eat lots of veg, meat and fish. you gotta chose one of the above really cos the low carb versions of carb heavy foods contain worse crap than carbs in a lot of cases
01-03-2010, 18:42   #5
brianthebard

I think I came across this blog on here before, but maybe it was from someone else's blog. Anyways, its a low carbers blog and they make a lot of food substitutes, such as cauliflower rice; http://cleochatra.blogspot.com/2009/...uliflower.html
I haven't made it yet but will probably do it tomorrow to go with curry (cauliflower is good with curry anyways).
There are plenty of recipes on that site that some people may find useful.
Advertisement
01-03-2010, 20:39   #6
EileenG

Pretty much anything marketed as low carb is processed carp and should be avoided. Real low carb food is stuff like fish, eggs, green vegs.

One thing which is not marketed as low carb, but is, is 99% chocolate.
Thanks from:
02-03-2010, 16:34   #7
MagicSean
Closed Account

Well im just lookin for something i could bring to work as a packed lunch or for snacks. Its not easy without bread or wraps.
02-03-2010, 16:45   #8
corkcomp

Send a message via MSN to corkcomp
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_mac View Post
Well im just lookin for something i could bring to work as a packed lunch or for snacks. Its not easy without bread or wraps.
why? what about cooked chopped chicken fillet + spinach + lettuce + tomatoes + sweet corn + red onion + shredded carrot .. etc etc. if you have a good lunch box you can bring pretty much anything
(2) thanks from:
05-03-2010, 14:05   #9
Darkginger

I haven't found anywhere in Ireland to buy low carb products. Dunnes and Tesco used to sell Atkins bars and shakes about 4 years ago, but they seem to have stopped now. Personally, I see this as a good thing - it's better to eat 'real' foods like meat, eggs, cheese etc. Butterhead lettuce leaves make good wraps for stuff like tuna mayonnaise, or you could take some hardboiled eggs and slices of ham, or smoked salmon rolled up around cream cheese flavoured with chives is good. Chicken drumsticks are always easy! Invest in a couple of little tupperware pots with sealable lids and you're sorted - I eat things like leftover roast beef chopped up with mayo with a little horseradish added, or chopped chicken in mayo (I like mayo!) with spring onions mixed in. If you want to buy something at lunchtime, try those pre-made prawn cocktails (not the low fat version) - they're pretty low in carbs and come in their own pot, or get some sliced deli meats (watch out for breading on ham). A few cubes of cheese are good as a snack, or make your own smoothie with fresh berries in season, soya milk (the unsweetened sort) with added Splenda. I think most supermarkets stock powdered Splenda nowadays

Hope that helps, and sorry for the wall of text!
Advertisement
05-03-2010, 19:47   #10
Iristxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkginger View Post
I haven't found anywhere in Ireland to buy low carb products. Dunnes and Tesco used to sell Atkins bars and shakes about 4 years ago, but they seem to have stopped now. Personally, I see this as a good thing - it's better to eat 'real' foods like meat, eggs, cheese etc. Butterhead lettuce leaves make good wraps for stuff like tuna mayonnaise, or you could take some hardboiled eggs and slices of ham, or smoked salmon rolled up around cream cheese flavoured with chives is good. Chicken drumsticks are always easy! Invest in a couple of little tupperware pots with sealable lids and you're sorted - I eat things like leftover roast beef chopped up with mayo with a little horseradish added, or chopped chicken in mayo (I like mayo!) with spring onions mixed in. If you want to buy something at lunchtime, try those pre-made prawn cocktails (not the low fat version) - they're pretty low in carbs and come in their own pot, or get some sliced deli meats (watch out for breading on ham). A few cubes of cheese are good as a snack, or make your own smoothie with fresh berries in season, soya milk (the unsweetened sort) with added Splenda. I think most supermarkets stock powdered Splenda nowadays

Hope that helps, and sorry for the wall of text!
Splenda? I hear that's like a terrible, horrible cr*p. The more knowledgeable ones than me will be able to explain why. It's all chemicals anyway! In my book, you'd be better off with plain sugar for that matter.
05-03-2010, 20:41   #11
EileenG

Boots still sell Atkins bars and stuff, but I reckon they are totally overpriced for what they are. I do carry a bar in my bike bag for if I get stranded on the side of a mountain somewhere, but it usually expires before I get round to eating it. My natural meanness sends me towards cottage cheese or some other snack.
07-03-2010, 09:21   #12
Darkginger

Splenda works for me - I'd rather use it than any other sweetener. Sugar is out of the question, as it causes insulin spikes (in me, anyway) which lead to unregulated hunger, which I find it hard to resist. I guess you pick your poison, after doing your own research on it After all - EVERTHING is 'just chemicals'.
07-03-2010, 12:24   #13
Iristxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkginger View Post
After all - EVERTHING is 'just chemicals'.
No, not really, natural sweeteners are that, natural, not chemicals (stevia, agave etc)
07-03-2010, 12:27   #14
Melia

I think what Darkginger meant was that technically, everything is made up of chemicals... whether it's 'natural' or not. Which is true!

Even water is dihydrogen monoxide.
Thanks from:
07-03-2010, 12:32   #15
Iristxo

Just looked it up and, according to a few websites there can be a lot of very nasty side effects to Splenda. Of course you can find research in the internet to prove about anything, I know that. It also says that taken in small doses is not normally harmful.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion