Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is this fella around town?

Options
  • 26-02-2010 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I saw this fella on sundrive road this evening, and remember seeing him a few times before around town, usually at luas stops or bus stops. He's about late 40s or early 50s id say, kind of short with floppy grey hair and glasses. He approaches people in the street and points at a coin in the palm of his hand, and then points at his ears as if to indicate that he's deaf or something and then walks off.

Always found him a to be a bit of a pest to be honest. I mean, what the hell does he actually want from people? Even if someone tried to give him money he walks off straight away to the next person after doing his weird pointing routine, so he cant be begging.

Does anyone know who im talking about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

He's been doing the rounds for a long long time.

I don't know where I stand in believing if there is actually something up with him or not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ballymana Bhoy

Thats exactly what i thought is he just a chancer or an attention seeker or what. When i saw him earlier i had just parked the car and got out and there he was, i used the atm there at the ulster bank and when i walked back to the car there he was taking a piss against the wall, no one would do that (not sober anyway, with people walking past) so maybe he's not playing with the full deck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I think thats me daddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

He usually has some sort of handwritten note to accompany his hand signals, or maybe he's changed tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I think he's just a deaf beggar. Hence the pointing at ears, and pointing at money. He seems to get around a good bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Is he still around? I remember him from years ago would stop me on Camden Street with his note and he was really aggressive. I'm a pretty soft touch with people begging but jayzus did he get my back up. I don't know his story but I didn't get a good vibe from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

I heard he was jinxed as a child and due to having an obscure name he's had to spend his life trying to get someone to say it. Maybe it sounds like "coin"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ballymana Bhoy

I think he's just a deaf beggar. Hence the pointing at ears, and pointing at money. He seems to get around a good bit.

But like i said, he wouldnt give you the opportunity to actually give him money because he quickly walks off after doing his little weird coin pointing act:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

sounds like he's not the full shilling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

He must be a piece of scrap metal. Not the full coinage. Not worth a tuppence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Or how about that other guy, long scraggy grey hair, wears a wolly cap, fairly tall with a miserable complexion on his face and stands for hours unend on street corners.

Really sad sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I hate that little 'deaf' guy :mad: Once I was locking my bike in Rathmines and he stood behind me the entire time tapping me on the back until I turned around. Ignorant little f*cker.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

family-guy-greased-up-deaf-guy.jpg

You'll never catch me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I've seen him smoking on the LUAS pretending he doesn't understand when you tell him to stop. Annoying guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

He isn't deaf at all i've seen him chatting to someone in O'Connell St the next day he came over to me looking for money i told him i knew he wasn't deaf and to F**k Off
    I am sick of him annoying people of Dublin any one have any idea's of how to trick him into talking
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrr annoying little man

• Registered Users Posts: 78,314 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You do realise that deaf people can still talk and lip read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Victor wrote: »
    You do realise that deaf people can still talk and lip read?

I do indeed. This guy seems to selectively be able to understand people though.

No doubt there's something wrong with him but he plays it up when it suits him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

fryup wrote: »
    Or how about that other guy, long scraggy grey hair, wears a wolly cap, fairly tall with a miserable complexion on his face and stands for hours unend on street corners.

Really sad sight.

Yeah, he's been around for years, used to drink in Fibbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

sron wrote: »
    I heard he was jinxed as a child and due to having an obscure name he's had to spend his life trying to get someone to say it. Maybe it sounds like "coin"?

This sounds spot on. Coin, Ear..coinear..Connor perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Maybe he has a coin stuck in his ear...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

He has a good memory, tell him to f___ off once and he won't bother you again.

He used to 'work' up around the junction of South Great Georges St and Dame Street, seemingly, targetting women.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Amalgam wrote: »
    He has a good memory

it's his sixth sense... or fifth, as the case may be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

There was a photo of him on boards a few years ago with a mobile pressed up to his ear and a look of utter surprise on his face. Ninja boardsie had sneaked up on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

Can we see this photo

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »

Really sad sight.
    Yeah, he's been around for years, used to drink in Fibbers.

is he mentally ill? surely he should be in care, looks really pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

That little creep. Yes, like I'm going to give you money for the bookie that you are standing outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

He came up to me once and I have basic Irish sign language and asked him If he was okay, as I thought he was deaf. He just looked at me like I was mad and walked off!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

I know of the guy you are talking about. After having worked in various betting offices around the city, I would urge you all not to give him a cent as he will gamble it away in the nearest bookies. He is without doubt an utter pest, with terrible hygiene, and he is definetly not deaf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Can we see this photo

Don't have a copy I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

Sure it's street magic.

Advertisement