Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of the builders at Dennehy's Cross

Options
  • 24-02-2010 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Does anyone else live in the apartments at Dennehys Cross?

The noise from the builders is a disgrace, paying over €5k to live here and the builders are constantly drilling, banging, sawing or doing something noisey, it starts at 8 am and continues to 6pm. Its supposed to be post grad accommodation designed to be quiet. This is not the case. It's impossible to do an assignment here during the day. Mangement doesnt wanna know.

How do other residents feel?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Does anyone else live in the apartments at Dennehys Cross?

The noise from the builders is a disgrace, paying over €5k to live here and the builders are constantly drilling, banging, sawing or doing something noisey, it starts at 8 am and continues to 6pm. Its supposed to be post grad accommodation designed to be quiet. This is not the case. It's impossible to do an assignment here during the day. Mangement doesnt wanna know.

How do other residents feel?

I don't live there, but I know the builders can be annoying, But unfortunately, what they're doing has to be done.

I worked as a builder with my dad during Summer '08 for work experience, and the amount of complaints we got from neighbours was disheartening to say the least. They too complained about the noise and how it was disgraceful, which it was. But there was nothing we could do about it, it just had to be done. We also worked from 8 to 6 as well. If we could drown out the noise from the drills, compressors and everything else, we would have in a second! :D

I know you say it should be a peaceful area, but you can't ensure that the area will be perfect all the time. So builders and labourers must fix it up. I'm assuming that they're relaying pipes or grouting or something like that, and not actually building houses.

The average fixing job on a house takes 3-5 weeks, so you'll have to prepare yourself for the worst. :D

And I'm sorry that you find it difficult to do assignments. But I guess there's no way around that except to go to a friend's house or the UCC library. I do hope the building crowd are nearly finished though, to benefit yourself and other students living there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Larkin91 wrote: »
    I don't live there, but I know the builders can be annoying, But unfortunately, what they're doing has to be done.

I worked as a builder with my dad during Summer '08 for work experience, and the amount of complaints we got from neighbours was disheartening to say the least. They too complained about the noise and how it was disgraceful, which it was. But there was nothing we could do about it, it just had to be done. We also worked from 8 to 6 as well. If we could drown out the noise from the drills, compressors and everything else, we would have in a second! :D

I know you say it should be a peaceful area, but you can't ensure that the area will be perfect all the time. So builders and labourers must fix it up. I'm assuming that they're relaying pipes or grouting or something like that, and not actually building houses.

The average fixing job on a house takes 3-5 weeks, so you'll have to prepare yourself for the worst. :D

And I'm sorry that you find it difficult to do assignments. But I guess there's no way around that except to go to a friend's house or the UCC library. I do hope the building crowd are nearly finished though, to benefit yourself and other students living there :)

I think the crux of the OP's complaint is that the apartments shouldn't have been rented untill the complex was finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭doyler442

I live in these apartments too and yes the drilling is the most annoying thing in the world - even when you just want to sit down and relax.

What I do now is just go to the Nurses library as its only a 5 minute walk away and its nice and quite in there.

The thing that I find annoying is the woman form University Hall said to me in October that the builders would be finishing up for the year now that this block was finished but that never happened at all. And in the last few weeks its just got nosier and noisier.

Out of interest do you have a free-to-air box installed? I put one in myself months ago but the signal has just stopped coming to the box now.

Also do you have strange wires coming out of your wall every now and again, like just outside your door, and in the sitting room?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Tony Sopranoe

I think the crux of the OP's complaint is that the apartments shouldn't have been rented untill the complex was finished.
    That is indeed correct. I mean paying over €5k to live here to do my masters.

doyler442 wrote: »
    I live in these apartments too and yes the drilling is the most annoying thing in the world - even when you just want to sit down and relax.

What I do now is just go to the Nurses library as its only a 5 minute walk away and its nice and quite in there.

The thing that I find annoying is the woman form University Hall said to me in October that the builders would be finishing up for the year now that this block was finished but that never happened at all. And in the last few weeks its just got nosier and noisier.

Out of interest do you have a free-to-air box installed? I put one in myself months ago but the signal has just stopped coming to the box now.

Also do you have strange wires coming out of your wall every now and again, like just outside your door, and in the sitting room?
    Same thing with the free to air box, its so annoying, just as well we didnt take out a sky contract. Would it be worth emailing the office to find out what the problem is?? Although I find the manager just fobs off problems.

I was also told when i was being shown around that the builders would be gone and that the landscape below our apartment would be finished, both of which were lies.

As for the wires, not anymore, but there was wires hanging out of everywhere before Xmas. I really dunno how the place wasnt closed down, I mean if a health and safety official came around there would be serious sh1t to follow.

• Advertisement

Same thing with the free to air box, its so annoying, just as well we didnt take out a sky contract. Would it be worth emailing the office to find out what the problem is?? Although I find the manager just fobs off problems.

Yeah I think the guys walking around say your better off going to them directly, i.e. the office at the bottom of the car park but unfortunately I haven't been round to go down to them at the times their available. If you hear of any developments let me know.
    I was also told when i was being shown around that the builders would be gone and that the landscape below our apartment would be finished, both of which were lies.

The guy that lived here with me was told the same thing about the landscaping - they said it to him in October that it would be one month and the landscaping out the back will be done.
    As for the wires, not anymore, but there was wires hanging out of everywhere before Xmas. I really dunno how the place wasnt closed down, I mean if a health and safety official came around there would be serious sh1t to follow.

Our apartment still has a number of wires hanging out round the place ha and they dropped in new saucepans last week because the ones we had were gone all rusty inside them - some other apartment must of complained about this because we didn't say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Heart goes out to ya Tony. Visited these apartments myself in Sept with a view to renting for the year to finish my masters and when I saw the place I walked away. Was also told all the major work would be done within a few weeks, but once I had a look at the site, I couldn't see how that'd be the case.

I know its more hassle, but you may want to talk to FLAC about seeking a refund. A verbal contract is still a contract and I'd swear an affidavid that I was told the same thing as you, to back you up. I have emails arranging to view, so I can pinpoint the date I was also told the builders would be gone within a month. PM me if you want to discuss. Plus, to help you get some money back, I'd involve the UCC accommodation office and whoever else you can get onside maybe including a H&S visit. Gettin together with other residents would help, plus the press might run a story. All this is distracting I realise, but if you consider yourself to have been screwed by the mgmt company, any reasonable person would think you deserve compensation.

That is indeed correct. I mean paying over €5k to live here to do my masters.

You might have a case of false advertising. I remember when they were advertising for these apartments as up market, peaceful and ideal for the serious student or some such yadda yadda. Thought it was horse poo at the time as the place was a building site. Bit hard on those not from the area and wheren't made aware of the goings on.

Aye, good point PP, had forgotten bout that. I seem to recall the apts being marketed as upmarket and specifically aimed at postgrads because of the perfect environment for study. Thats why I mentioned FLAC. They can advise you, or their voluntary legal practitioners can advise you of your rights in this case. Its one of the main things they were set up to advise students on. FLAC, in case you don't know are a UCC society providing free legal advice.

Back around November I remember chatting to another resident in the car park, we were both saying how we were getting on living in the place etc.... we both said the noise levels were shocking, he mentioned he sent an email to the manager issueing his concerns and he was told that the manager had been away on annual leave but would have a chat with the builders and get back to him, she never did.

I've no issues with the builders personally, I know they have a job to do and its not easy, but when this complex is advertised for post grad students, They are ideally suited to Post Graduate students writing a thesis or dissertation. The bit in bold is taken from the website here http://www.ucccampusaccommodation.com/dennehys-cross.asp then one would expect peace and quiet at least. Its probably too late to set up a residents commitee at this stage. Im gonna ask other residents how they feel about their current residence whenever i see them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Hi OP I am sorry for the situation you are in. I know this is no help to you but when i was in UCC i lived in private rented accom on the college road area. It was absolute hell to be honest,what i endured for three years. Looking back,i don't know how i ever stayed. The noise level every night of drunken idiots screaming and shouting was ridiculous,monday night to thursday every night guaranteed. Blaring music from houses, people singing, vomit IN MY GARDEN, my parners car vandalised several times. I wasn't a typical student in that i had a baby who's sleep was constantly (and mine) disrupted because of these idiots on the street.
    What i am trying to say here is i would have gladly swopped for noisy builders!
    I know the noise for you must be a nuisance, especially as you are studying but i really think this will not be resolved this year and you should be grateful that the noise ends at 6pm every evening. You should definitely report this to the management but i wouldn't be hopeful for a refund, i know fromexperience these people are impossible to deal with.
    I would suggest you spend more time in the library or invest in ear plugs!!

Sorry for the long post and good luck with your Masters!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Walk past these apartments everyday and I'm amazed that there are people currently living in them, place still looks like a building site where you'd need a safe pass to enter. I'd be seeked a refund if I was the OP.

How would I go about making a formal complaint?

Would I contact UCC accommodation office like Max said?

This might sound a bit OTT Tony, but my ten cents worth is, it all depends on what your endgame is. i.e. what you want. The accommodation office, may not have your interests at heart because they obviously work with accommodation providers on a long term basis. Willing to be corrected on that, as I've rarely dealt with them.
    My first port of call would be FLAC, with a copy of your contract and a note of the ad you responded to and subsequent conversations, plus others (me) willing to corroborate your version of conversations had with the building manager. FLAC will have your interests as a client foremost, which is why I'd go there first, so you'll be fully informed of your rights and what to ask for in terms of a resolution/compensation etc etc
    Others may have better suggestions, but the above is what I'd do if it was me :)

Just had the thought ( bit slow today :) ) that one possible reason for being a little wary of the accommodation office is that if they endorsed/approved your accommodation on its basis as an appropriate environment for research students, then UCC might be jointly liable together with the owners/managers of your building. Generally in civil litigation, you go after whoevers liable and has the deepest pockets, which in this case might be UCC. Obviously someones really 'stood on their dicks' in renting out unsuitable accommodation to you and its a case of who and how much you can get out of them to compensate for your losses, if thats what you're after. I've suggested talking to FLAC as I've some direct experience of working with them and found them to be excellent at what they do and one of the things they do is assist students in exactly your situation.

How would I go about making a formal complaint?

Would I contact UCC accommodation office like Max said?

The first thing to do is know exactly where you stand and what your rights are. Google citzens information and the regulation in this area.

I'd be inclined to go the route of contacting the FLAC as Max suggested. The accomadions office will take you a lot more seriously once they get a call from them or at least realise that you've been in touch with them.

€5,000 should get you a room in a seriously plush pad in 2010.Take a look on Daft there are some nice places in the city for that kind of bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

As far as I know, the law states that the must be quietness between 22:00 and 09:00, and I guess anything else is fair game.

Nova_era wrote: »
    As far as I know, the law states that the must be quietness between 22:00 and 09:00, and I guess anything else is fair game.

Seeing as they start work down there between 07:30 -08:00 I'd say 09:00 starts would be welcomed

Happy to be corrected at any time, however I seem to remember a principle in civil & criminal law called the 'reasonableness test'. In other words, all other things being equal, would it be considered that having given the undertaking that the environment will be conducive to study, would it be reasonable to expect a student to work in what in effect is a building site? Frankly theres a lot of laws and regulations that we may think could or should apply, but the only person who will know for sure is a practising solicitor and FLAC supplies these free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Are these apartments situated above the new mini Tesco, "Orchard Gardens"?

Furet wrote: »
    Are these apartments situated above the new mini Tesco, "Orchard Gardens"?

Yup. Though if you have hopes of seeing an actual orchard or gardens, you're going to be rather disappointed. More of a bomb site look. Think shabby chic with concrete ;) Though again, I might be misleading you as its all shabby and ain't no chic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Does anyone have the free to air sky box installed here? Does it work in your appartment? I know it used to work up until around February.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the free to air sky box installed here? Does it work in your appartment? I know it used to work up until around February.

Yes I had it installed and working but since Jan/Feb it has stopped and every now and again I try it but nothing.

Its annoying as well as when I wanted it I didn't have time to call into the office between 9-11am and there gone after that. And with exams in May not sure if I want it installed now :)

If you hear anything will you give me a PM or something

PS Do you have any random wires hanging out from wall sockets or anywhere?

Same here. I had it installed and it went one weekend in February. The office are rubbish they dont wanna know about it. I was talking to a guy on the floor beneath me and he said he contacted a sky installer who came out to put in a sky box for him but the technician told him that there was no reception coming from his connection point to connect the sky box.

He also told me he had the main fella from down here up in his appartment looking at the sky setup, and he claimed other people were using their sky box no problem and he said he didnt know what the problem is. He's obviously bullsh1tting and just couldnt be bothered getting it fixed which is scandless when you consider the cost of living here plus all the problems that go with it. He told my friend he would email the guys that originally set it up and get back to him.

As for the wires, they were hanging out of everywhere at the start, its ok now, but if Health + Safety had seen what was going on id say the place would of been closed down on the spot.

I think its ridicoulous with the amount of money it is to treat people like that. I didn't realise you had Sky installed, I just have a normal free to air box.

By any chance have you tried sending the signal from the sitting room to a bedroom? I've tried numberous things now and I get no signal what-so-ever which is another point on my list :)
    Esse85 wrote: »
    As for the wires, they were hanging out of everywhere at the start, its ok now, but if Health + Safety had seen what was going on id say the place would of been closed down on the spot.

We still have these wires everywhere - some joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Maybe try sending Paulie and his crew to have a "talk" with the union??:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Lived there last year myself. Some joke with the noise there. Nice place though. I wonder is it still as noisy since I have left that building? How did the talk with the union go may I ask....

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

the builders are back working on the second block since last month. strangely they seem to be only using the heavy machinery between 6am and 8am and then goes quiet (must be going inside to polish door handles or something at that stage?) i thought all those noisy yokes could only be used after 8am?

No improvements since I left there so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kgalway

Hi,
    I have been accepted for the Child and Family law LLM in UCC in September and a few weeks back I applied for Dennehys cross and paid the deposit. Now Im having second thoughts and wondering if I would be better off with private accommodation. I have until the 29th of July to receive €200 of my €250 deposit back and taking into account the actual cost of these apartments, losing €50 isn't the end of the world. I don't know Cork at all and don't know anyone down there so thought this accommodation would be the easiest option...can anyone offer any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hi, if you don't know cork that well, I'd suggest you stick with dennehys cross. You can just pay for instalments. You might be able to cancel it if you don't feel happy after the first term think there is a separate contract for paying in full and paying by instalments. If you feel your not sure and you are having second thoughts go with private accommodation might be easier on you just that dennehys cross not that long a walk to college. Its only a few minutes by bus/bike if its to the main campus you are going, as it was the IT building I went to, Western Gate Building was only 5 minutes from dennehys cross so from that point of view it was very handy. You have tesco under it so its great to get the groceries and its not too far from bus stops.

Advertisement