Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Cloning

Options
  • 23-02-2010 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭

This topic came up on "Heres What I Saw Yesterday" thread, and obviously chat detracts from the epicness that is the "Heres What I Saw Yesterday" thread.

Someone had no idea why anyone would block out a reg in an online photo.

This article highlights some of the outcomes of cloning cars (not specific to pictures posted on the internet)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/westmidlands/series7/car_cloning.shtml

I am of of the opinion that by making your cars registration easy to view at the click of a button on the internet, you are more likely to be targeted by the people who would forge registrations. I would think this risk increases when it comes to performance cars due to the rarity of seeing them on the street.

Borrowing a quote from the "Heres What I Saw Yesterday" thread,
    PrettyBoy wrote: »
    So you're saying that another Aston Martin DB7 owner would likely create false plates had they not been blocked in those pictures?

Seriously stupid theories. Some people are really clueless when it comes to this subject, afraid that because plates are visible any criminal will be able to track them down, kill their family and rob their car. If a criminal wants a plate number they will get it. Look on Carzone FFS. If you don't want your plates to be seen then don't drive your car in public.

No, Im not saying that another Aston Martin Owner would do that, what I am saying is that if a criminal came into possesion of a stolen Aston Martin, one of the first things they may try and do is put different plates on it. If they put plates on from an identical make and model and colour that is not stolen, they will not be detected by ANPR, Border controls etc. In England apparently it is rife to avoid the congestion charge. Im sure its happening in Ireland to avoid the M50 toll.

Now given that there is a motive, how will the criminal go about finding out this info? IMO, first step would be online car classifieds, next step owners forums, next step any known picture threads, this would be a lot easier and cheaper than sourcing the information legaly or illegally.

Why make it easier for the criminal? (althougth if you are happy enough with it, I hope you buy the same car as me in the same colour, and post pictures everywhere!! :D)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

On one of those Motorway Cops programs on BBC, only about 2 weeks ago, they were highlighting the problem of vehicle cloning and had one case of a guy posting pics of his new Holden, a rare enough car in the UK, on pistonheads. Someone criminal with a similar car then copied his reg and the car was used in a serious of crimes in London I think it was and still hadn't been tracked down. However due to ANPR the genuine owner was constantly getting stopped by the police thinking he was the gangster.

I fail to understand why the person who questioned you thinks it's in the realms of fairy tales that something like this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

It's the 'here's what I saw today' thread :P

Anyway, my opinion on it is why bother?

Honestly, if somebody wants your car well then they'll nick it, simple as. Doesn't matter how they'll do it, but they will. If they simply want to get your reg and and hide another car, well who cares tbh, it's not hurting you in any way, any single person can go into a motor factors and get a reg made up, no proof of ownership required (I've been in for different cars a few times!).

Just because it's on the internet doesnt mean somebody will go through all the trouble to check it, and if you're car is in anyway unique, such as our own Stealthy's Monaro, well then robbing the plate number will do sweet fuck all considering the amount of Monaro's in Ireland!

And the fact it's nice to motorcheck a car and make sure it really is what it says it is :)

If they simply want to get your reg and and hide another car, well who cares tbh, it's not hurting you in any way

Seriously, are you for real ? Someone with a car under your registration is not hurting you in anyway ?! I'm stunned you can think that.

And motorcheck is useless for checking a car under someone else's registration, that's the point, they've stolen your cars identity. Without the VIN number, a basic motorcheck on a reg is just going to tell you the car is the model the plate is on. That's the point in cloning another vehicles reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Jip wrote: »
    Seriously, are you for real ? Someone with a car under your registration is not hurting you in anyway ?! I'm stunned you can think that.
    Unless you start getting bills for tolls etc, then no?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

On one of those Motorway Cops programs on BBC, only about 2 weeks ago, they were highlighting the problem of vehicle cloning and had one case of a guy posting pics of his new Holden, a rare enough car in the UK, on pistonheads. Someone criminal with a similar car then copied his reg and the car was used in a serious of crimes in London I think it was and still hadn't been tracked down.

I think that car is in Ireland now! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

On one of those Motorway Cops programs on BBC, only about 2 weeks ago, they were highlighting the problem of vehicle cloning and had one case of a guy posting pics of his new Holden, a rare enough car in the UK, on pistonheads. Someone criminal with a similar car then copied his reg and the car was used in a serious of crimes in London I think it was and still hadn't been tracked down. However due to ANPR the genuine owner was constantly getting stopped by the police thinking he was the gangster.

the "are more likely" quote in my post is a link to the monaro owners forum, and the guy you saw is a member there and started a thread about it!

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I think that car is in Ireland now! ;)

Is that the car ? I don't keep up with the What I saw today thread very often.
    the "are more likely" quote in my post is a link to the monaro owners forum, and the guy you saw is a member there and started a thread about it!

Ah, I never clicked on that link, I thought it was a link to the what I saw thread here, my bad !

Is that the car ? I don't keep up with the What I saw today thread very often.

Nah, it was a joke! Stealthyspeeder might get it! ;)

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Nah, it was a joke! Stealthyspeeder might get it! ;)

Its not my car!! It better not be! I have been trying to find a rerun online to check, but im nearly certain it wasn't my colour!

Its not my car!! It better not be! I have been trying to find a rerun online to check, but im nearly certain it wasn't my colour!

Whoops!

What have I started! :p

• Advertisement

Can anyone who saw the episode of cars cops and criminals with the Monaro in it, please tell me what colour it was?

Can anyone who saw the episode of cars cops and criminals with the Monaro in it, please tell me what colour it was?

Eh, I'm not too sure now, I think it was a kind of 'em........ that's it, it's come to me - it was BLUE! :eek:

Hee, Hee, Hee!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Someone had no idea why anyone would block out a reg in an online photo.

Get your facts straight, I know why people do it... I'm not stupid.

The difference is that the guy posted pics of:
    a) a tata - I doubt someone's going to clone it
    b) it wasn't even his car, why blank the reg?

steve06 wrote: »
    Get your facts straight, I know why people do it... I'm not stupid.

The difference is that the guy posted pics of:
    a) a tata - I doubt someone's going to clone it
    b) it wasn't even his car, why blank the reg?

The facts are, you said
    steve06 wrote: »
    If you didn't blank the reg we could just go to motorcheck.ie and tell you!

I have no idea why people block a reg...

And I gave a reason in a genuine attempt to be helpful. Fair enough nobodies goin to clone the tata but you didnt say I have no idea why you blocked out the reg (in reference to the tata). The bit I tried to help with is seperated by a line and is generic because ur saying a reg, which would refer to any reg.

If it I ever saw my car on that thread without a blanked reg, I would request it be blanked or the picture removed for the reasons above, blanking the reg of someone elses car before posting means that possible dispute would never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,148 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'm blanking this thread.... :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Well I don't want someone to clone my Audi A3 so I'm going to cover my plates with black tape, just in case I happen to drive by a criminal at some point during the day. Better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Well I don't want someone to clone my Audi A3 so I'm going to cover my plates with black tape, just in case I happen to drive by a criminal at some point during the day. Better to be safe than sorry.

A very valid point was made at the start, and it was covered in the OP that he's just trying to make it more difficult for car theives to get the reg's of rare cars. And also performance car was mentioned, IIRC Stealthyspeeder drives a Monaro, you wouldn't see one of those everyday on the road (I've only ever seen one and there's NONE for sale on carzone so getting a reg for one would be pretty hard), forget about seeing every possible colour/spec/year everyday like you would with an A3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

paranoia....good idea about blacking out the numbers though, especially on the M50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

corktina wrote: »
    paranoia....good idea about blacking out the numbers though, especially on the M50

Funny you should mention that

I was driving back into town from Blanch last weekend and was stopped at lights a few cars from the front, a 5 Series BMW pulled up next to me with a guy in it who looked 12 driving, he slowly inched forward as much as he could and was straining his neck to look at the front of my car

It really looked like he was trying to read my licience plate and he was staring at it for ages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I posted in the heres what i saw today thread and i never blocked out the number plate after reading this going on the yesterday maybe i should have!

Never mind the criminal element you could have some little assh0le ringing the gardai giving the details saying they were driving dangerously too and then they'd have the gardai knocking on the door.

As of yet cloning is not a problem over here but give it time it will as they introduce more and more speed camera's and barrier free tolling or congestion charges.

The internet just makes it convienent for the criminals to get the info, don't even have to leave there house.

But the other side of the argument is the car's are being pictured in a public place and so therefore the number plate is in the public domain too.

If i drove something flash i know i wouldn't like to see the number plate on display on some internet forum.

• Advertisement

And I gave a reason in a genuine attempt to be helpful. Fair enough nobodies goin to clone the tata but you didnt say I have no idea why you blocked out the reg (in reference to the tata). The bit I tried to help with is seperated by a line and is generic because ur saying a reg, which would refer to any reg.
    Because it really is silly to think that people are after you and your car all the time and to keep quoting something that happened to a UK monaro isn't really valid because you're choosing 1 car out of millions that are on the roads. If someone cloned your reg and the cops came knocking then I'm sure you'd have an alibi.

If you were selling your car would you blank the reg? Personally I don't like when people do this, it makes me feel they have something to hide.

There are plenty of high end cars on the HWIST thread without the reg plates blanked, I doubt any of them have been cloned.
    cabrwab wrote: »
    Never mind the criminal element you could have some little assh0le ringing the gardai giving the details saying they were driving dangerously too and then they'd have the gardai knocking on the door.
    If someone did this they'd be done for wasting police and court time as they have to go to court to testify to their claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,491 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So what happens if you are actually caught with false plates, whats the charge?

My dads plates were actually stolen off his car about 2 years ago, reported it the next morning but never heard anything more from it.

For cloned plates... fraud I'd presume!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I was driving back into town from Blanch last weekend and was stopped at lights a few cars from the front, a 5 Series BMW pulled up next to me with a guy in it who looked 12 driving, he slowly inched forward as much as he could and was straining his neck to look at the front of my car

It really looked like he was trying to read my licience plate and he was staring at it for ages

And...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Why do people photoshop or delete the reg of there car when the put it up for sale on a website, the first thing this does is set alarm bells ringing for me obviously they dont want anyone to do a reg check on the vehicle

Golden rule for me if someone wont show the reg of the car in a photo is becuase there hiding a problem with the car

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

a lot of people are wary of reg cloning......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Why do people photoshop or delete the reg of there car when the put it up for sale on a website, the first thing this does is set alarm bells ringing for me obviously they dont want anyone to do a reg check on the vehicle

Golden rule for me if someone wont show the reg of the car in a photo is becuase there hiding a problem with the car

For example if it was a high value car, they wouldn't want criminal types finding out what address the car is registered to if they were thieving to order

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Probably concern over reg cloning, especially with the free-flow tolls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

For example if it was a high value car, they wouldn't want criminal types finding out what address the car is registered to if they were thieving to order

have a look at donedeal or gumtree cars there price 5k and under have there reg blocked

ALARM BELLS !!

Advertisement