Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-02-2010, 19:31   #1
YouWantWhat

Whats next, a permit to surf?

Hi all,

I'm not sure if you aware or not but Cork County Council are proposing to introduce new bye-laws "http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/187275461.pdf" which govern the beaches in County Cork, no doubt other counties will follow. Below is an extract from the bye-laws :

"Prohibited Acts: Surf Boards, Kite Boards and Sail Boards
No person shall wind-surf on sail boards or kite-surf on kite boards or surf on a surf board in close proximity to bathers".

I don't know what you think, but this country is going beyond a joke. I think its time we stood up and made our voices heard, rather than being dictated to by what seems to be becoming a dictatorship. Does anybody else feel the way I do, or do you think I should just sit down and shut up and take everything thats thrown at us?

So much for the freedom of the open seas!
Advertisement
17-02-2010, 19:35   #2
kodute

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouWantWhat View Post
Hi all,

I'm not sure if you aware or not but Cork County Council are proposing to introduce new bye-laws "http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/187275461.pdf" which govern the beaches in County Cork, no doubt other counties will follow. Below is an extract from the bye-laws :

No person shall wind-surf on sail boards or kite-surf on kite boards or surf on a surf board in close proximity to bathers".

So much for the freedom of the open seas!
Well that bit makes sense don't ya think? Who wants to ding their board on a swimmer?
17-02-2010, 19:55   #3
GarryJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouWantWhat View Post
So just take up kayak surfing or waveboarding or ...
Alternatively take your pet great white shark for a swim before heading for a surf instead. Should clear the area of bathers fairly lively.

And besides bathers tend not to like even moderately sized waves, so what exactly is the problem?
17-02-2010, 20:35   #4
spaceHopper

Problem is there is no surf club in Cork the nearest one is Kerry or Waterford
(Limerick one is gone)
17-02-2010, 21:43   #5
loctite

Could see this causing a problem alright.....

There should be areas reserved for bathers though, hopefully the co. Councils would consult with surfers when deciding on what beaches or sections of beach should be "zoned".

I fear the same could happen to a very small local beach. It has been getting more and more popular over the last few summers with bathers and it is a class little break when everywhere else is blown out.
Advertisement
17-02-2010, 21:50   #6
YouWantWhat

Glad to see there's one or two of you that can see some sense rather than making smart ass comments. Lets face it, if there are a bunch of surfers in the water, all you have to do to clear them is jump into the water along side them and start swimming away - guess who will be breaking the law?
17-02-2010, 21:51   #7
c-note

Well i've seen sfa bathers in irish waters,
and when they do go out they ususally only wade in waste high.

this bye law is probably to satisfy some busy-body, who had a board pass within 10ft of them and saw their life flash before their eyes.

even if the law passes i dont see who is going to enforce it.
its just a silly way of ensuring water users have some respect for eachother, which 99.9% of us do already.

anyway if your busted for it just say you were sufing on a windsurf board not a surfboard and the wording will ensure you're off scott free.
17-02-2010, 22:02   #8
cornbb

I don't think it's a big deal. The conditions that make for good surfing, windsurfing and bathing are almost mutually exclusive
17-02-2010, 23:13   #9
spaceHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbb View Post
I don't think it's a big deal. The conditions that make for good surfing, windsurfing and bathing are almost mutually exclusive
In France and Spain they put up flags where between them it's for swimmers...

I've been surfing in Lahich where swimmers have swam out where surfers are sure they'll keep an eye on me...

Also never mind the surfing - Kerry used to be a great spot to camp now because of litter and bade behiveour (some by surfers) you can't no tents camper vans .... Cork is heading the same way.

What we should be looking for is separate zones for swimmers and surfer policed by the beach life guards a lot of whom surf and know what they are doing.

If they want to ban free camping then they should provide Airs and Municipal camp sites

Still think of it, rock up to a beach with a crowded line up - go for a quick dip they all have to get out, get changed - then you get suited and grab your board instant wave feast !
Advertisement
18-02-2010, 10:10   #10
paudie

Lads who the hell is going to enforce it?

Probably only lifeguards, which is July and August, when there is usually zero waves anyway.

They have zones in Lahinch and it works fine.
18-02-2010, 23:22   #11
youngblood

Think its time for the SUPer's to avail of this loophole-ha ha
Def think there should be zones though-Dont think we'll have to worry about Surf Patrol breakin up the party
21-02-2010, 23:02   #12
Mickeroo

most beaches these days have an area for swimmers and an area for water craft (including surfers,kayakers etc) marked out by flags, at least they do in mayo anyway! besides bathers won't be a problem for 9 out of the 12 months of the year anyway.
03-03-2010, 06:33   #13
OldIrishWulf

I disagree with the ban,but last summer I went for a swim in garretstown and nearly got run over by some muppets with kite boards.They were in shallow water crossing the beach at high speed.Flat'ish sea and I didn't feel atall safe.If one of the b'tards (new to this forum dont know the language etiquete)had fallen off and was drowning I might have held him under.I've got the same disregard for jetsking monkeys.

I dont want to offend anyone here on my 2nd or 3rd post,fugg it.
03-03-2010, 10:10   #14
spaceHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldIrishWulf View Post
I disagree with the ban,but last summer I went for a swim in garretstown and nearly got run over by some muppets with kite boards.They were in shallow water crossing the beach at high speed.Flat'ish sea and I didn't feel atall safe.If one of the b'tards (new to this forum dont know the language etiquete)had fallen off and was drowning I might have held him under.I've got the same disregard for jetsking monkeys.

I dont want to offend anyone here on my 2nd or 3rd post,fugg it.
We aren't opposing a ban just saying that they should use the same system used on most european beaches.

Would you have a problem with a section of the beach that is flagged off just for swimmers, where that wouldn't be allowed to happen to you again?
03-03-2010, 10:32   #15
tedshredsonfire

+1 on the jetskis of course there are some responsible drivers but mostly are assholes who insist on speeding around the ahrbour or near to it so we can all see how great they are. If you have a bouy on your spot for diving to warn boat users that divers down they often use it to do circles around. Its damm scary when you can hear the bugger above you and are afraid to surface cos you dont know where he will be. even harder if your holding your breath.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion