Lets all be anxious/depressed together. - Page 12 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
16-04-2010, 22:15   #166
IzzyWizzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,585
I was told by the secretary of the counselling service she'd contact me this week re an appointment, but she hasn't. I find that quite appalling. If I was any more on the edge than I already am, that could have sent me over, IMO. I've been waiting weeks and weeks now. I am really shocked at how difficult it is to get help. It's difficult enough to reach out and tell someone you need help, and then you just get ignored.
IzzyWizzy is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-04-2010, 23:39   #167
Odysseus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dublin and Louth
Posts: 6,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyWizzy View Post
I was told by the secretary of the counselling service she'd contact me this week re an appointment, but she hasn't. I find that quite appalling. If I was any more on the edge than I already am, that could have sent me over, IMO. I've been waiting weeks and weeks now. I am really shocked at how difficult it is to get help. It's difficult enough to reach out and tell someone you need help, and then you just get ignored.
Sorry to hear that Izzy, your spot on it's appalling.
Odysseus is offline  
16-04-2010, 23:43   #168
C_Dawg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Waterford
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyWizzy View Post
I am really shocked at how difficult it is to get help. It's difficult enough to reach out and tell someone you need help, and then you just get ignored.
I felt like that myself too when I was in my darkest mindset. Keep pursuing them though and keep posting here as it's good to talk as they say
C_Dawg is offline  
17-04-2010, 01:38   #169
MUSEIST
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyWizzy View Post
I was told by the secretary of the counselling service she'd contact me this week re an appointment, but she hasn't. I find that quite appalling. If I was any more on the edge than I already am, that could have sent me over, IMO. I've been waiting weeks and weeks now. I am really shocked at how difficult it is to get help. It's difficult enough to reach out and tell someone you need help, and then you just get ignored.

When I was depressed badly ( and you guys know how difficult it is to go to a doctor about these things ) i eventually got the guts to go. This was without doubt the worst depression of my life. The doc did nothing except refer me to a private psychiatrist which I saw 2 and a half months later. So I spent several months being extremely depressed and suicidal and then after a 15 minute talk with the psychiatrist and me becoming 250 Euro poorer he prescibed 10 mg lexapro. The lexapro made me manic for a few months but thats a different story. Why the hell could my gp not have prescibed the medication in the first place (maybe its because I am only 23 and he wanted to get me assesed). Overall my experience of the whole thing has been bad and unfortunately I didi not recieve and major help from seeking help. If I eveer get badly depressed again, I wont be going to a doctor so he can prescribe medication that does not even work.
MUSEIST is offline  
17-04-2010, 14:32   #170
IzzyWizzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Dawg View Post
I felt like that myself too when I was in my darkest mindset. Keep pursuing them though and keep posting here as it's good to talk as they say
I will. I just find it so frustrating, as I just read an article in the college paper about how some people are getting appointments after only one or two weeks after breaking up with a girlfriend, or something. I know depression affects everyone differently, but I will admit I found this irritating. I was advised to go for counselling on the back of my medical issues, and yet I'm waiting weeks and weeks. I assumed there were needier cases but the article didn't make it sound like that, it sounded as if people just wanted a chat about things and it was easy to arrange that. I've had several days where I ended up smashing things in my flat and sobbing on the floor and feeling utterly hopeless when I received yet more bad news from the doctor or yet another setback, and here I am still waiting because apparently I don't need urgent help. I strongly suspect that some people are ticking 'suicidal' on the form to get seen faster, which I find totally unethical. I would be very hesitant to even suggest that unless I thought there was a very good chance of me going through with it, as I would hate to take a place from someone who was really really desperate, but I'm pretty sure other people are doing it.
IzzyWizzy is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-04-2010, 22:52   #171
Odysseus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dublin and Louth
Posts: 6,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyWizzy View Post
I will. I just find it so frustrating, as I just read an article in the college paper about how some people are getting appointments after only one or two weeks after breaking up with a girlfriend, or something. I know depression affects everyone differently, but I will admit I found this irritating. I was advised to go for counselling on the back of my medical issues, and yet I'm waiting weeks and weeks. I assumed there were needier cases but the article didn't make it sound like that, it sounded as if people just wanted a chat about things and it was easy to arrange that. I've had several days where I ended up smashing things in my flat and sobbing on the floor and feeling utterly hopeless when I received yet more bad news from the doctor or yet another setback, and here I am still waiting because apparently I don't need urgent help. I strongly suspect that some people are ticking 'suicidal' on the form to get seen faster, which I find totally unethical.
I would be very hesitant to even suggest that unless I thought there was a very good chance of me going through with it, as I would hate to take a place from someone who was really really desperate, but I'm pretty sure other people are doing it.
I don't know how they work their system, but just from my experience in a few clinics, yes we may fast track the odd person. However, apart from that any place I worked always work from a from a list. Where a person was referred they are always placed at the end of the list. Everybody situation is unique to them, and everybodys problem is important to them.

The is little a psychotherapist or counsellor can do for somebody who is actively suicidal, the first port of call should be a psychiatrist, we come on board after that, not before it. I have to say its really a poor show from that service.

Look personally I'm not a big fan of CBT, however, I acknowlegde that people find it helpful and respect those who work that way, it may be an ideal to google some CBT self help programmes. Some people find them useful, and they be helpful whilst your waiting. Here is one example http://www.cognitivebehaviourtherapy.org.uk/

I just had a quick look, you have to be careful with the net as yourself, but check out a few. They are no substitute for therapy, but it can be better than nothing.
Odysseus is offline  
18-04-2010, 15:23   #172
JuliusCaesar
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: At a desk
Posts: 3,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
it may be an ideal to google some CBT self help programmes. Some people find them useful, and they be helpful whilst your waiting. Here is one example http://www.cognitivebehaviourtherapy.org.uk/.
Being a CBT person, here's a few sites:
http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealt...altherapy.aspx

http://www.livingcbt.com/freeselfhelp.html

Robinsons (publishers) have a series of self-help books by prominent CBT people called "Overcoming...." (ie overcoming anger, overcoming anxiety, etc)

to find CBT people who are properly accredited:
BABCP for Ireland and UK (see under Republic of Ireland for here)
ICP (see under CBT Section) for Ireland, mostly in the HSE where treatment is free


will butt out now
JuliusCaesar is offline  
Thanks from:
20-04-2010, 18:19   #173
zimovain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: a place of settlement, activity, or residence
Posts: 706
Now on 150mg of seroquel and find it is making me very tired
zimovain is offline  
20-04-2010, 18:25   #174
C_Dawg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Waterford
Posts: 408
I take Anafranil and Mirap everynight and the tiredness hits me hard about an hour afterwards. I do be in bed til about 1pm the next day and am extremely groggy for a few hours afterwards. I'm not as down in the dumps but I feel like I'm wasting my days on it too
C_Dawg is offline  
Advertisement
20-04-2010, 18:29   #175
Konata
Moderator
 
Konata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Moon
Posts: 6,406
Dose increased to 100mg Sertraline today.

Been on 2 x SJW for 3 months, then 50mg Fluoxethine for 6 weeks, then 50mg Sertraline for 3 weeks and now up to 100mg Sertraline.

Seriously, do anti-depressants even DO anything? It can't be good for my body to have been on so many different meds in only a few months :/
Konata is offline  
20-04-2010, 18:35   #176
C_Dawg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Waterford
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotaru View Post
Seriously, do anti-depressants even DO anything? It can't be good for my body to have been on so many different meds in only a few months :/
I know how ya feel, been switching meds for about 7 months now. I know at times it seems like they're doing f all but I'd hate to think what I'd be like without them
C_Dawg is offline  
20-04-2010, 18:44   #177
flyswatter
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimovain View Post
Now on 150mg of seroquel and find it is making me very tired
Yeah I've heard that can be one of the side-effects alright, would be interested in hearing your experiences on Seroquel as I might be switching to it from Olonzapine in the summer.
flyswatter is offline  
20-04-2010, 18:50   #178
WalterMitty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotaru View Post
Dose increased to 100mg Sertraline today.

Been on 2 x SJW for 3 months, then 50mg Fluoxethine for 6 weeks, then 50mg Sertraline for 3 weeks and now up to 100mg Sertraline.

Seriously, do anti-depressants even DO anything? It can't be good for my body to have been on so many different meds in only a few months :/
Can take two months or longer to make significant change and thats if that particular drug works for you. They do cause changes in the brain but you also need to make changes in your behaviours /thinking/actions.
WalterMitty is offline  
21-04-2010, 00:07   #179
Seren_
Closed Account
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,728
Hey everyone, was going around random forums this evening, and I found this thread.

I was diagnosed with depression a few months ago. The psychiatrist put me on 20mg cipramil, which seems to be kind of working. Well, I suppose. Last week I was made go into A&E because my GP felt I was a suicide risk, which I definitely was looking back on it now. At the time, I felt so bad that I didn't think so, it just felt the same as usual.

For some reason, I always seem to feel worse after going to counselling though Does anyone else find that? I know it's helpful to get my issues out in the open (especially because I don't feel comfortable saying it to my friends), but I always end up feeling really down after an appointment. I just kind of copped that on today.
Seren_ is offline  
21-04-2010, 14:19   #180
zimovain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: a place of settlement, activity, or residence
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyswatter View Post
Yeah I've heard that can be one of the side-effects alright, would be interested in hearing your experiences on Seroquel as I might be switching to it from Olonzapine in the summer.

It's working quite well for me, 50mg three times daily keeps my anxiety in check and my racing mind is calmed. I am feeling a bit drowsy but I can still function quite well, I'm quite enjoying the relaxation tbh. Thumbs up from me and I hope it works out for you if you are put on it.
zimovain is offline  
Thanks from:
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search