Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No satellite signal been received on Aerial reception from Mt Leinster

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,871 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Looks chilly.
    As long as they don't melt the yellow snow for tea. :)
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I don't know if I should thank RTENL, the weather gods or what, but Mt Leinster DTT is missing all day which means I can see my Preseli favourites for the first time in weeks. Here's hoping it continues this way.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

DTT from Mt Leinster is fine, on channel 45 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Mt L definetly on reduced power. Spent all evening watching Dave, Quest etc. Some interference on Ch45 but others OK from Preseli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭FREEBBC

More Music wrote: »
    It's not generally done. This is the backup sequence for RTE main sites:

1. Microwave Link
    2. Off-air rebroadcast signal from another site
    3. Sky Digital

They are feeding some low power relay sites on a temporary basis with Sky Digital while they carry out some works at the main sites.

That's because when they reduce the power at the main site (to work on the mast) the relay site may not get a strong enough signal to rebroadcast. So they just use their Sky feed instead. Cost effective solution (when it works).
    My 4th one can be is the Internet, this day in age that we have the internet and they can use the online stream of RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 because that would be pretty useful from Sky. I bet RTÉ tv License payers pay for their own sky. :P
    Oh what about cable? Can the cable wire reach up high to the transmitter? Like UPC have relations with RTÉ.
    bothyhead wrote: »
    Bingo! These photos were taken at Kippure yesterday, I believe.

rtekippure080110.jpg

rtekippure1080110.jpg
    Well completely snowed in. How would you get up there.

Plus the transmitter needs some snow off from the microwave drums, or the drums melt them itself. :D Well it's pretty dangerous going up in snowy conditions if they have heating inside the building.

Well done to RTÉ NL! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The masts are in mountainous areas often thousands of metres from the nearest dwelling and I'd suspect in all cases, even further from the nearest cabled dwelling. If RTE were to run cabling up to the masts, it'd be a fibre feed, not UPC...

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭tlaavtech

FREEBBC wrote: »
    Oh what about cable? Can the cable wire reach up high to the transmitter? Like UPC have relations with RTÉ.

NTL in waterford was screwed up by the Mt. Leinster problem, so cable would not be the the soloution either! TG4 was completely gone! Bit of chicken and egg!!

If it was a power problem, no amount of back-up feeds would help!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The only solution would be fibre optic, but the main requirement is for power. The antenna up there look completely frozen up, I would worry about the safety of using them at that low a temperature.

Even the people deserve a little warmth.

I would never have thought such conditions would exist in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Bothyhead & STB, Great set of photos guys. Conditions up there must have been deadly, (or 'deady') as it's more commonly pronounced these days!
    Cheers!

Advertisement