Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No satellite signal been received on Aerial reception from Mt Leinster

Options
  • 13-01-2010 8:17pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone noticed the Aerial reception from Mt leinster is saying no satellite signal been received

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Yes just noticed it. Was on rte now its only on tg4. Looks like a sky box message.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭cwboy

Same here. both digital and analogue gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭lostprophetsie

marathont wrote: »
    Yes just noticed it. Was on rte now its only on tg4. Looks like a sky box message.

Was actually thinking the same thing, looks exactly like the Sky Box message. Digital tv gone for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

It is a Sky information notice which means they are rebroadcating a satellite signal. But Rte 1&2 TV3 reception is unwatchable they must use satellite signals instead of microwave. It doesn't sound very good practice to depend on foreign satellite company to relay your TV transmissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Hi just noticed there's no RTE radio either what is going on. I've just read on the broadcasting forum that Kerry and Cork are also affected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Rte radio was going last night for a while. Digital tv gone and analogue all messed up atm

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It is a Sky information notice which means they are rebroadcating a satellite signal. But Rte 1&2 TV3 reception is unwatchable they must use satellite signals instead of microwave. It doesn't sound very good practice to depend on foreign satellite company to relay your TV transmissions.
    I believe they only do it as an emergency fallback when they can't get the microwave link for whatever reason, i.e. breakdowns. With the current weather it is probably difficult if not impossible to get to some of the high-up transmitter sites like Mt. Leinster or Kippure at the moment should anything go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭irishtoffee

Yes the very same and they have both been going on and off for the last couple of days.Also no radio stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

It doesn't sound very good practice to depend on foreign satellite company to relay your TV transmissions.

It's not generally done. This is the backup sequence for RTE main sites:

1. Microwave Link
    2. Off-air rebroadcast signal from another site
    3. Sky Digital

They are feeding some low power relay sites on a temporary basis with Sky Digital while they carry out some works at the main sites.

That's because when they reduce the power at the main site (to work on the mast) the relay site may not get a strong enough signal to rebroadcast. So they just use their Sky feed instead. Cost effective solution (when it works).

I would imagine this has been caused yet again by a snow blizzard at the site.
    I know Kippure has had endless snow since the end of december.
    Mt Leinster is the same.
    Yesterday both sites would have had storm force winds,blizzard conditions and probably close to 2 feet of more snow.
    The amounts of snow must be crazy up there now,I'd imagine the only access would be by quad bike or helicopter.
    So in short,I'd imagine they are running on reduced power as they are on a back up generator having lost mains supply and it's probable that theres no one at the site at the moment to reallign the back up sky dish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Still getting the 'no satellite signal...' message for TG4 here in Wexford but a weak signal for RTE 1 and 2. We also lost Newstalk radio around 11 this morning - I'm guessing they lease bandwidth on the same network and are subject to the same problems on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i also lost all four terrestial channels earlier and noticed that RTE are reliant on sky for digital signal which is probably why there is no RTE freeeview channels as someone in RTE has most likely done a very cosy deal with sky!

now i am left with an awful signal for all terrestial channels and only the sky notice of no sattellite signal being recieved for TG4. this brings me back to the bad old days when i was reliant on chorus for cable tv and whever there was a lightening storm the signal would go for days due to it being brought in from the north!

RTE really should get their act together and stop squandering our license fee money on rubbish programming and learn to stand on their own so they do not have to rely on sky or others for service.

all terrestial channels are unwatchable now in an area that should have an excellent reception due to RTE not being able to provide proper service.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i also lost all four terrestial channels earlier and noticed that RTE are reliant on sky for digital signal which is probably why there is no RTE freeeview channels as someone in RTE has most likely done a very cosy deal with sky!

Its been discussed ad nauseum on the satellite forums why RTE are not free to air on satellite - programming rights is the main issue. RTE are too small and too poor to buy rights to show their imported and sports programming in the clear.

As goes their deal, they were not going to go on satellite *at all* until Sky offered to carry them free of charge. They receive no money from this deal.

And if they didn't have this deal, you wouldn't have ANY TV signal any time the microwave network shut down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

RTE really should get their act together and stop squandering our license fee money on rubbish programming and learn to stand on their own so they do not have to rely on sky or others for service.

all terrestial channels are unwatchable now in an area that should have an excellent reception due to RTE not being able to provide proper service.

What has the licence fee got to do with any of this. I was of the impression that RTÉNL are seperate to RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

I would imagine this has been caused yet again by a snow blizzard at the site.
    I know Kippure has had endless snow since the end of december.
    Mt Leinster is the same.
    Yesterday both sites would have had storm force winds,blizzard conditions and probably close to 2 feet of more snow.
    The amounts of snow must be crazy up there now,I'd imagine the only access would be by quad bike or helicopter.
    So in short,I'd imagine they are running on reduced power as they are on a back up generator having lost mains supply and it's probable that theres no one at the site at the moment to reallign the back up sky dish.

Bingo! These photos were taken at Kippure yesterday, I believe.

rtekippure080110.jpg

rtekippure1080110.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satdog

From RTE News: "RTÉ is currently dealing with a major outage at the Mount Leinster transmitter in the southeast of the country. The transmitter, which is currently off air, services about 180,000 homes in counties Wexford, Waterford, Kilkenny, Tipperary, Carlow and some homes in south Wicklow. Radio and Television services are affected. Attempts are currently being made to gain access to the transmitter to fix the problem. Radio 1 Long Wave is still available to homes in the southeast, on frequency 252".

Hopefulley all four DTT Muxes will be switched back on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

There is no esb at Mt leinster currently. Something went wrong with the back up generator, as it did not kick in. Mechanics were flown in yesterday to get it going again. There are still some microwave links down due the the ice build up on some dishs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

RTE News website says that Mt Leinister TX is back on air, and bad weather were the cause of the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    What has the licence fee got to do with any of this. I was of the impression that RTÉNL are seperate to RTÉ.

RTÉ Transmission Network Limited (RTÉNL) is a wholly owned subsidiary company of RTÉ. They don't benefit directly from the licence fee I think but charge the broadcasters (incl RTÉ €12 million/2008) for use of the transmission network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Yes. So my point about including transmission into the licence fee stands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

bothyhead wrote: »

rtekippure080110.jpg

rtekippure1080110.jpg

Are there any more photos?

+1

Kippure wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

now i am left with an awful signal for all terrestial channels and only the sky notice of no sattellite signal being recieved for TG4. this brings me back to the bad old days when i was reliant on chorus for cable tv and whever there was a lightening storm the signal would go for days due to it being brought in from the north!

What a load of horsesh1t.

Sky Digital is a backup to their primary microwave distibution. It only kicks in when the main links fail. Would you rather have no backup so when the main link fails you lose everything?

Nearly every service has suffered because of the weather. Look at the photos of Kippure and suggest what we can do to prevent the weather.

RTENL have worked hard over the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

Kippure wrote: »

Nope, that's all that I was e-mailed this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

**** happens! Get over it.

If this the worst thing that has happened in your life, your lucky!:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thanks Bothy great photo , I see that microwave links are covered in crud at the bottom of this photo and as to climbing that and actually fixing anything ....get TFO of it :(
    bothyhead wrote: »

rtekippure080110.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Andy Lintons photos over at RW.

"Mt Leinster also proved difficult to access today to repair the links.

A 3-man RTENL team were brought up in an Argo, while BT had the luxury of a helicopter ride!

Unfortunately for the BT engineers, the chopper couldn't take off again later so they're still there tonight!"

attachment.php?attachmentid=1462&d=1263503635

attachment.php?attachmentid=1461&d=1263503635

attachment.php?attachmentid=1463&d=1263503635

attachment.php?attachmentid=1464&d=1263503635

attachment.php?attachmentid=1465&d=1263503635

attachment.php?attachmentid=1466&d=1263509082

attachment.php?attachmentid=1467&d=1263509082

attachment.php?attachmentid=1468&d=1263509082

attachment.php?attachmentid=1469&d=1263509082

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Wow!

It looks loke the south pole, or the north pole. The RTENL guys certainly do a great job. Are they short of water up there by any chance?

Well done lads, keep up the great work.

Advertisement