Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE News Now on DTT

Options
  • 03-12-2009 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

RTE DTT now showing RTE News now (at least on Woodcock Hill).
    Picture to follow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Also on Ch21 from mullaghanish and Ch45 from Spur Hill
    RTE News has replaced the RTENL test card.

There were some DTT outages from Spurhill at lunch time today, but mullaghanish seemed to be up all day.

Here's hoping that the rolling news channel stays, its better than a test card :)

Also on Three Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

"RTE News Now" has replaced "RTENL" on all 4 muxes from Mt. Leinster and all 4 muxes from Suir Valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Also on here at Clermont Carn. It seems to be that rolling news service on the RTE website.

4156249880_88dacfa306.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 MPEG2

_John C wrote: »
    "RTE News Now" has replaced "RTENL" on all 4 muxes from Mt. Leinster and all 4 muxes from Suir Valley.
    ... and Kippure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

and Greystones (just needed to feel included:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Go on then... Holywell Hill as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Dungarvan also.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I hope this, or something like it, becomes a permanent fixture on DTT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

The channel is labelled RTE News Now as well which is a positive sign that it might be around for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

TVDX wrote: »
    The channel is labelled RTE News Now as well which is a positive sign that it might be around for a while.

One small step for RTE, one giant leap for DTT ? It is only a test as we all know, but we now have something on Irish DTT that is not available on analogue, Sky or UPC/Chorus, a "24hr RTE News Channel". I know it's really rebroadcasting part of a website, but we/Rte must start somewhere. I for one, say, well done RTE, onwards and upwards.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Any chance of a sudden 'soft' launch of the PSB part of DTT I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Apogee

It's a central feed. If it's on one mast, it's on all masts.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

Good, good. I haven't tried my DTT usb stick for it at 3Rock. I'll retune for my ma in Leitrim (Truskmore or Cairn Hill) Monday when go down. I've message 3e through facebook on 3e going on the tests and also Sky. No replies to this but I think these would be good. 3e would be a good addition to the tests. Might be good if Sky joined the Onevision consortium, a shot in the arm to it allow them like with Freeview to be multiplatform here. Also Amigo TV to them. Maybe they might show an interest in it. I do think it'd be a good feature for digital TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

If only the video quality was better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This clearly tells us that their new core network is working and that we are fed centrally not by Sky Box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    If only the video quality was better.
    They are testing - gotcha:D
    Ok Mossy, I know this is a web-grade feed...
    I hadn't really looked at the web version much before, but I enjoyed the webcam feed of the Morning Ireland radio programme on the telly today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Scootay

Forgive my ignorance but is this something I can pick up on a Digital Aerial or via my free-to-air dish/box or do I need something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

A receiver with MPEG4 (digital TV) or a suitable set-top box which can decode an MPEG4 signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Dungarvan also.
    Is there a DTT transmitter in Dungarvan? I stopped just west of there today, up the hill towards Cork, and found nothing new. (unless it is on 666000 like Mt Leinster and Spur Hill or 642000 like Suir valley.)

fat-tony wrote: »
    They are testing - gotcha:D
    Ok Mossy, I know this is a web-grade feed...
    I hadn't really looked at the web version much before, but I enjoyed the webcam feed of the Morning Ireland radio programme on the telly today!

I'm pretty sure it is the web feed. During Six One yesterday the "RTE.ie Commercial Break" caption came up briefly just as a break began.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Apogee

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    This clearly tells us that their new core network is working and that we are fed centrally not by Sky Box :)

It was a central feed from the start of the trial.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyone able to tell what resolution it actually is? My TV just tells me "576i", cause all it supports showing on its resolution box are 576/720/1080 i/p...

MYOB wrote: »
    Anyone able to tell what resolution it actually is? My TV just tells me "576i", cause all it supports showing on its resolution box are 576/720/1080 i/p...

At the moment, all of the channels are in 544x576 except for RTÉ Two. But the video feed on News Now looks much lower than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ChosenOne

Sorry guys I just have a quick question,
    I live in DonegalI just got a Hitachi TV from the north, it has a digital tuner in it. All the Irish digital chanels show up RTE1, 2, TV3 ,TG4, News Now etc. yet all i'm getting is the sound, no video whatsoever!

It says the video format is not supported. Any way to get around this? I honestly don't have the slightest clue with regard to anyof this.

TV supports dvb-t if it matters.

Thanks,
    Steve!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

ChosenOne wrote: »
    It says the video format is not supported. Any way to get around this?

Irish DTT uses a newer standard than Freeview so most Freeview boxes and tellys will not work for RTE.
    Probably, the only way around it is to buy a set top box that can decode MPEG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭_John C

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Is there a DTT transmitter in Dungarvan? I stopped just west of there today, up the hill towards Cork, and found nothing new. (unless it is on 666000 like Mt Leinster and Spur Hill or 642000 like Suir valley.)

642000 is Ch42 from Mt. Leinster.

Mt. Leinster:

Group B horizontal aerial
    Ch39 618000kHz
    Ch42 642000kHz
    Ch45 666000kHz
    Ch49 698000Khz

Suir valley:

Group C/D vertical aerial
    Ch52 722000kHz
    Ch56 754000kHz
    Ch60 786000kHz
    Ch66 834000kHz

Im getting all 8 muxes from a horizontal group B aerial pointing towards Mt. Leinster (in my attic with no amplifier). Im just lucky with my location. Im living in Carrick-On-Suir and my 1 aerial picks up both transmitter sites.
    But Ive got no EPG from the Suir valley transmitter. So I use Ch45 from Mt. Leinster for my viewing. :)

MarkK wrote: »
    Irish DTT uses a newer standard than Freeview so most Freeview boxes and tellys will not work for RTE.
    Probably, the only way around it is to buy a set top box that can decode MPEG4.
    not true.

If the tv has a cam [conditional access module] slot in the back,you just stick one of these tiny things in ...

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260513146609

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Apogee wrote: »
    It's a central feed. If it's on one mast, it's on all masts.

Are there any regional opting facilities in the system ?

Advertisement