Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumen's winter TT prep plan

Options
  • 03-12-2009 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭

Goal: 1:04 for a 40km TT, by 1 March 2010.

This is based on the "C" category standards DWCC use for their 25 mile TT course, according to Biker Joe:

A 1:00:00
    B 1:02:00
    C 1:04:00
    NR 1:12:00
    Vet 1:08:00
    Ladies 1:15:00

My last attempt in August 2009 took 1:09, on a road bike with clip-on aerobars, after which I was off the bike for weeks with crippling back pain.

Average power for that run was about 250W, which online calculators indicate should give <1:05 no problem. I blame position.

So for various reasons, I've bought a TT bike and intend to learn how to use it in preparation for the 2010 season.

The plan so far:

12 weeks starting from 7 Dec, broken into 3 four-week blocks.

Within each block, three "on" weeks with a mixture of commuting, TT bike intervals and road bike endurance training, followed by an "off" week of commuting and cross training.

Typical "on" week:
    Mon: commute + 20-40 min of threshold intervals on TT bike.
    Tue: run/gym/swim
    Wed: commute + 1-2 hr endurance pace on road bike.
    Thu: run/gym/swim
    Fri: commute + 30-60 mins tempo on TT bike.
    Sat: 2-4 hr endurance pace on road bike.
    Sun: rest, maybe a swim.

Typical "off" week:
    Mon: rest
    Tue: run/gym/swim
    Wed: rest
    Thu: run/gym/swim
    Fri: rest.
    Sat: run/gym/swim
    Sun: rest.

The main challenge will be discomfort in TT position, hopefully mitigated by severely limiting intensity and time in the first few weeks to allow adaptation. Also, lots of stretching and cross training to build core strength. And a professional bike fit.

First week (next week) is an off week due to travel.

Let the whining commence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think with your shiny TT bike you should be aiming for under the hour... 1:04 can be an intermediate goal.

I presume you will be buying a pointy hat, cheap way to save an extra few watts.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

blorg wrote: »
    I think with your shiny TT bike you should be aiming for under the hour... 1:04 can be an intermediate goal.

Indeed, 1:04 is the 12 week goal. I'll worry about the hour, world TT champs etc after that.
    blorg wrote: »
    I presume you will be buying a pointy hat, cheap way to save an extra few watts.

If/when I get within spitting distance of the hour I might think about sperm hat, disc wheels etc, not really a priority now.

Week 0. Travelling without my bike and recovering from a cyclocross race, so starting with a rest/cross training week.

(Sun: CX race, 1:15).
    Mon: rest.
    Tue: am: 20 min run. Shoulders still sore from Sun. Evening: squash.
    Thu: 5k treadmill (22:30, shoulders still sore while running), upper body weights, 350m swim (leaky goggles, pool closing).
    Fri: rest
    Sat: 5k treadmill (21:55, shoulders a little less sore), 600m swim. No time for weights.
    Sun. 5k treadmill (21:50, shoulders grrr), stretching, upper body weights.

Time summary:
    - Off-road cycling: 1:15 (including CX race from last Sun because it affected my training load)
    - Running: 0:90
    - Swimming: 0:15

Total training time: 3:00

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen: what source did you use to derive your training plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Hey Lumen best of luck with your log :)

Quick question if you don't mind re: your TT bike, specifically about PX. What made you go for PX? I'm browsing for TT bike myself and hadn't considered PX until now. I notice the seat tube angle is not as aggressive as say a cervelo or felt...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

I'd recommend doing longer slower bike rides on your TT bike to get used to the position. If you can operate at 200 Watts, rather than you 250 watts for your goal, then you'll be more relaxed and you'll get used to the adaption. If you need a TT trial in Jan then I might be interested in doing the 40km course out by the N3.

If you give me a few minutes headstart you can catch me for your 1:04

Raam wrote: »
    Lumen: what source did you use to derive your training plan?

Feel. And a big spreadsheet with lots of formulae.
    MCOS wrote: »
    Quick question if you don't mind re: your TT bike, specifically about PX. What made you go for PX? I'm browsing for TT bike myself and hadn't considered PX until now. I notice the seat tube angle is not as aggressive as say a cervelo or felt...

It was cheap, relatively speaking, and good enough. An impulse purchase really. The seat tube angle doesn't actually matter so much as the equivalent seat tube angle, which depends on the saddle position. As long as you can achieve a required saddle position with a given seat tube angle, then it's OK. For tris something a bit more aggressive would be in order, but for TTs it's easy for me to hit the UCI limit on a 76 degree seat tube.
    I'd recommend doing longer slower bike rides on your TT bike to get used to the position. If you can operate at 200 Watts, rather than you 250 watts for your goal, then you'll be more relaxed and you'll get used to the adaption.

Yes, my first "hard" workout is scheduled to be 207W for 18 mins. That's well under my threshold. I'm planning on adding 7W and 4 minutes to that workout per week, with a proportionately slower/longer sessons on weds and fri, until I'm working nearer threshold for 2-3 intervals. It's all a bit theoretical at the moment. My biggest problem is a weak core/back, need to focus on the gym sessions and running to sort this out.
    If you need a TT trial in Jan then I might be interested in doing the 40km course out by the N3.

If you give me a few minutes headstart you can catch me for your 1:04

LOL, thanks. I don't expect to hit 1:04 for a while, and you don't need a headstart :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen wrote: »
    Feel. And a big spreadsheet with lots of formulae.

There's a cagey answer! Sandbagging already? ;)
    My biggest problem is a weak core/back, need to focus on the gym sessions and running to sort this out.

What will you be doing in the gym?

I was told two years ago by a physical therapist that I had a weak core. No gym sessions were diagnosed, just simple small repetitive exercises that I could do in 15 minutes at home.

Raam wrote: »
    What will you be doing in the gym?

Dips, lat pulldowns, torso twisty things, seated rows, treadmill. Stuff that feels good.

I'll also try to do the floor exercises like the physios told me to, but they're so boring.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I'd imagine swimming would be great for back strength for TT's.

I was fcuked in 08 after a 50TT, could hardly keep my head up for the last 10 miles. Struggle to see the road in front. Neck / back. Right foot was in severe pain for about a good 5 minutes after the finish. Couldn't touch base. Excruciating pain.

I can't imagine how the guys across the water do 100 mile TT's or 12 hour jobs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

Me thinks you need to work on getting a Comfortable positition so you can Lay down the POWER !!!

Biker Joe !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Dips, lat pulldowns, torso twisty things, seated rows, treadmill. Stuff that feels good.
    Interesting thread about the impact of weights on cycling. The bottom line seems to be weight make no positive impact to your cycling performance, but are good for your general health (stronger bones, more resistant to injury, etc)

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Interesting thread about the impact of weights on cycling. The bottom line seems to be weight make no positive impact to your cycling performance, but are good for your general health (stronger bones, more resistant to injury, etc)

Yes, well, my biggest problem is that every time I attempt to train to go faster (by which I mean, cycle slightly faster than very slow), I get injured. I figure I can afford to carry a couple of kgs of muscle if it means I can train without this sort of interruption.

I have found swimming helps a lot with general wellbeing, but find it difficult to combine swimming, weights, and running into one session. I usually do swimming last for convenience reasons, but it is difficult to maintain form with tired arms and I struggle to do more than 1km.

I have found aerobic circuit training useful in the past. Maybe should find a local session.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I'm up for recce-ing that TT course in the new year. A little hamstrung with a thumb injury but managing to maintain a relativily decent position on a turbo with a fair amount of resistance!

I've decided to wrap up each week of training with a review, which will be mostly whining with a small amount of moaning mixed in.
    (Sun: CX race, 1:15).
    Mon: rest.
    Tue: am: 20 min run. Shoulders still sore from Sun. Evening: squash.
    Thu: 5k treadmill (22:30, shoulders still sore while running), upper body weights, 350m swim (leaky goggles, pool closing).
    Fri: rest
    Sat: 5k treadmill (21:55, shoulders a little less sore), 600m swim. No time for weights.
    Sun. 5k treadmill (21:50, shoulders grrr), stretching, upper body weights.

This week I started sore from the CX race, but since this was a rest/cross training week I figured things would get better.

Except because I've been travelling without my bike there's been no commuting, so I've run over 20km, which is about 20km more than I usually run, and I've done three weight sessions and not nearly enough swimming (<1km).

As a result my back, knees and shoulders feel about as wrecked as they did at the start of the week. My neck is also sore, but I suspect that's occupational.

I've started setting targets for my running (e.g. 5k in 19:30, half marathon in 1:30:00), which is totally not what this training plan is about.

Anyway, tomorrow night is turbo night. I've not had time for a proper bike fit so guessing will have to do...

There's another cyclocross race next Sunday, must find out whether I'm eligible...

First turbo session on the TT bike last night. Oof.

I did some warming up near a reflective window to check my position, and found that as I applied more power I was being pushed forwards onto the aerobars, forcing me to push myself back with my arms. So I moved the bars forward to their fullest extent and continued. Much better. I'm currently running a 100mm stem, so it looks like the frame size was OK after all.

My back is reasonably flat, but it takes a little postural effort to flatten out my spine. I suspect this is due to poor flexibility and is probably trainable.

For the actual workout, I'd planned a single easy interval, 18 minutes @ 180W, but only managed 168W average for that time. My HR was under 145bpm throughout, but I was sweating like a pig and it felt like I was having to force the pedals round despite the 100rpm cadence. I have no problems sustaining 300W for a few minutes outside on a road bike, but on the TT/turbo 150W felt like hard work despite the low HR. I assume this is down to the new position and using muscles differently. The saddle alone is supposed to take a few rides to get used to.

Perhaps the problem was just lack of proper warmup (to do: consult bible on TT warmups) and my hatred of the turbo (to do: HTFU); the end of the interval felt much easier than the start.

Anyway, this was the reason I bought a TT bike in November - I have a few months to make this work.

Tomorrow I'm doing an IrishFit bike fit and seeing a physical therapist (Mrs LastGasp). I'm not convinced that IrishFit are ideal for all aspects of bike fitting (I'll leave my thoughts on that until tomorrow), but I expect them to get the saddle height and anatomical issues right. I'm willfully ignoring Tunney's advice and putting off a trip to Wheelworx until I've had these basics checked out.

I feel like I ought to apologise for the detail of these posts, but I figure this is my own little corner of the forum where I can unleash my full tediousness without bothering anyone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Turbo definitely sucks much much harder than the road. I have only my own subjective appraisal and my hrm to back this up, but your watts seem to confirm this. The most successful thing I did to make turbo a little less nightmarish is buy a bloody big fan and set it up as close to me as possible. I have it to one side so I can see the computer screen, but you might want to put it straight ahead of you and pretend your in your very on wind tunnel.

The fan probably doesn't make you sweat less, but it does evaporate the sweat and turn the room into a dank and fetid sauna. Several sessions will give your house that special parfum-de-rugby-changing-room as your sweat condenses on the ceiling and starts to drip of the light fittings. You will be able to work harder on the turbo though.

Good luck with irish-fit. Are you having them fit you to the TT or the roadie?

Is anyone allowed to be longwinded and tedious in this thread or just you? If the latter please forgive this post.

niceonetom wrote: »
    Several sessions will give your house that special parfum-de-rugby-changing-room as your sweat condenses on the ceiling and starts to drip of the light fittings.

Now you're really selling it.

Actually, one regrettable side effect of my late night turbo'ing is that the toddlers couldn't sleep. Perhaps once they've adjusted to it they'll develop a Pavlovian association between the noise, Christmas and the comforts of home, and thus be compelled to live forever in the neighbourhood of wind turbines to fend off the night terrors.
    Good luck with irish-fit. Are you having them fit you to the TT or the roadie?

TT.
    Is anyone allowed to be longwinded and tedious in this thread or just you?

You're most welcome to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Tomorrow I'm doing an IrishFit bike fit and seeing a physical therapist (Mrs LastGasp). I'm not convinced that IrishFit are ideal for all aspects of bike fitting (I'll leave my thoughts on that until tomorrow), but I expect them to get the saddle height and anatomical issues right. I'm willfully ignoring Tunney's advice and putting off a trip to Wheelworx until I've had these basics checked out.

I had a fit on my tri bike with Irishfit... not overly impressed tbh.

Mon: commute one way. TT/Turbo: 18 minutes @ 168W average (uneven), HR<145bpm.
    Tue: 5 min treadmill, upper body weights, 1250m easy swim (fc/bs).
    Wed: bike fit, TT/turbo: 10@100W,10@200W,10@150W.
    Thu: christmas shopping (divorce avoidance).
    Fri: Easy run (6.5k, 34min, <155bpm).
    Sat: hungover.
    Sun: cyclocross race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Whats with all the running and swimming I thought that was frowned upon over in this Forum :D

MCOS wrote: »
    Whats with all the running and swimming I thought that was frowned upon over in this Forum :D

Injury prevention, and more fun than going out on the bike in the dark, wet, and cold. :)

TT bike fit today with Irishfit. Length was OK, saddle height too high (over-ankling to compensate), bars too low, pads too narrow. Knee motion not perfect but acceptable, probably due to hip inflexibility. Came out with a nice compromise of power, comfort and aero. Happy with service.

99213.png99214.png

Physical therapy with Mrs LastGasp was good, neck feels better already.

Second TT turbo session tonght. Upper body nice and relaxed, no problem sustaining 200W for 10 mins. HR peaked at 164 bpm (couldn't get above 145bpm last time, pre-bikefit). Eased off as knee area felt funny, better safe than sorry, no rush.

So this week I did:

1 cyclocross race (1hr).
    15km commuting.
    48 mins on the turbo/TT bike.
    6.5k running.
    1250m swimming.
    1 weights session.

Time summary:
    - Turbo: 0:50
    - Road cycling: 0:30
    - Off-road cycling: 1:00
    - Running: 0:35
    - Swimming: 0:30

Total training time: 3:30

Not much of anything, but I did get the TT bike fit done and my neck/shoulders are a bit better after the physio.

Next week I'm away from the bike for 6 days, so I'll be running only. I've signed up for a 3 duathlons, so I have some focus for the running and TT turboing.

Mon:
    - Treadmill: 10 min warmup, 5km threshold (20:00, 180bpm). Felt good.
    - Swim: 1500m.
    - TT/turbo: 30 mins medium intensity (up to 160bpm), powertap on the blink.
    Tue: travelling, knackered.
    Wed: 35 min hilly run. 150-170 bpm.
    Thur, Fri: nil.
    Sat: Running: 1km warmup + 5 mile race.

Summary:
    - Turbo: 0:30
    - Running: 1:50
    - Swimming: 0:40

Total training time: 3:00

An unavoidable lack of cycling and gym work, but a decent amount of running (for a non-runner) and another race, of sorts. I'm quite looking forward to the duathlons now.

Oh dear, this log contains a shameful proportion of running, mostly due to travel away from the bike. Note to self: ride your bike more.

This morning I had a big fry-up then went for an easy jog in the park to get rid of my hangover, and found myself passing the start of a 5 mile pedestrian race, so decided to join in. Great fun! I got dropped by a 10 year old in the first lap, which dented my ambitions somewhat, but hung in doing 170-175bpm for the full distance. I got lapped by the lead three runners 3/4 of the way round, which is at least better than my abysmal cyclocross efforts.

edit: results up, came 40/96 with time of 40:24. Lordy, that's a bit slow. Winner did it in 29:29 (his 10k PB is a 33:34). Perhaps the hill and the hangovers slowed us down, or maybe it was a bit further than 5 miles.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,764 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

...and found myself passing the start of a 5 mile pedestrian race, so decided to join in. Great fun! I got dropped by a 10 year old in the first lap, which dented my ambitions somewhat, but hung in doing 170-175bpm for the full distance. I got lapped by the lead three runners 3/4 of the way round, which is at least better than my abysmal cyclocross efforts.
    Did you win any of the fancy dress prizes?

Beasty wrote: »
    Did you win any of the fancy dress prizes?

Regrettably not, but I beat an elf in the final sprint. Ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Better than nothing. May have to get into this running lark. I attempted a cycle on Christmas eve. Got 8km before had to turn back due to ice.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Better than nothing. May have to get into this running lark. I attempted a cycle on Christmas eve. Got 8km before had to turn back due to ice.

I'm thinking of sticking studded tyres back on the cross bike, but reading about your recent crashing experiences (and Blorgs slippery MTBing) makes me think I should just stay on the turbo until it clears up (March?!?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If running I would do it on grass, could be riskier than cycling on some of the footpads at the moment.

Advertisement